Origins for Race Traits

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

The_StormWraith #1 Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:45 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

A little off topic, but thought you might find it an interesting thought experiment.

My friends and I were discussing some of the typical (and even Trope-ish) types of traits that we often see in alien races. For example, Cat-like, Saurian or other hunter-carnivores are often portrayed as the warrior-aliens, Aquatic species as more tranquil (unless you are basing them on sharks), etc. And because we like to turn things on their heads we kicked around some alternatives and came up with one in particular that actually has some pretty decent real-world basis:

Beware the Herbivores.

On Earth, if you were to look at the catalogs of the most (deliberate) Human Deaths per year, the title doesn't go to carnivores but to herbivorous species. (By 'deliberate' I mean by direct cause - mostly to rule out mosquitos etc.). The reason for this - and this is where it could be fun in Space - is not that these species are inherently the bullies of the natural world, but the most fearful and cautious. Imagine an Alien Space-Race derived from the descendants of the North American Bison. Your typical Space Opera Hero meets them, sets up negotiations, and thinks, "Great - these guys are herbivores - they'll be docile and pacifistic." So he begins to approach the Star Port when suddenly Guard Ship leaps out from the dock and drops four Plasma Torpedoes into his cockpit.  When the next intrepid explorer comes to the Star Port and sees the still glowing debris, the Space-Bison's explain, "Well... we saw the Weapons Ports were still open, and we are all Hard-Wired to not take any chances with predators, so standard protocol is to drop all our Stomp-Missiles straight away..."

The point I am getting at (painfully slowly, I know) is that in our world it is often the Herbivores who are by far the most dangerously unpredictable, because while a predator plans and plots and calculates, herbivores and prey species can't afford to - they need to react immediately and at full force in order survive, either individually or as herds. I would like to see this reflected in Alien Species some time.

So what are your thoughts on cultural/biological traits and where they might lead to in a space-faring culture?

StormWraith, Feudal Sakkran Researcher,

and Graduate cum Laude of "Universe 25"

The_StormWraith #2 Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:51 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

I feel so alone... but it's never stopped me before...

Has anyone ever wondered about the Fermi Paradox? I've actually got an answer for it.

So, aliens are puttering through the unfashionable end of the galaxy and they come across a Terran Probe. "Hmmm", they say (in alien), what it's called? Viking?  What's a Viking?".

So being diligent Aliens they do a quick scan through appropriately low-tech radio-television scans and do the 'Alien Google' search for "Viking".  And put the probe back verrrry carefully, before driving in the opposite direction super fast.  Because who the hell sends out a probe and says, "Y'know, if any aliens finds this, how should we best present ourselves? What do we want them to know about our culture, ethics and morals?  AH!  Got it.  Vikings! 'kay boys, send it out..."

That and the fact that we occasionally experiment by dropping Tartigrades into vacuum to see how they do. If an alien ever found these on a probe and analyzed them as an example of general Earth Biology they'd pro'lly figure that Earth Creatures are the scariest, most durable things in the Universe, and steer *very* far away.

StormWraith, Feudal Sakkran Researcher

and author of "Terran Psychology and Social Structure as seen through Re-Runs of "I Love Lucy"."

Meego_Smash #3 Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:54 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

ficspecies.wikia.com/wiki/Tauren

For example the Tauren from WoW?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users