Will you play multiplayer games without tactical combat?

multiplayer tactical combat without play poll

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Will you play multiplayer games without tactical combat? (62 members have cast votes)

Will you play multiplayer games without tactical combat?

1. Yes, I probably will. (12 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

2. No, I probably won`t play them without tactical combat. (37 votes [58.73%])

Percentage of vote: 58.73%

3. I don`t play multiplayer games either way. (14 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

Mikko_M #1 Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:41 PM

Rear Admiral

• Banned

As there currently apparently is no tactical combat option in multiplayer games it would be interesting to know how many users would actually spend their time playing multiplayer games, if they don`t have the tactical combat option.

Now personally I haven`t usually been the most enthusiastic multiplayer gamer to begin with, but if there won`t be tactical combat available for the multiplayer at all I most likely won`t even bother to try it. And as a game MOO does have the potential to make even me quite interested in playing multiplayer games, if the tactical combat option is available for them.

Edited by Mikko_M, 18 March 2016 - 07:44 PM.

Moreover, I advise that the tactical combat must be made more player controllable and informative for this to become a proper MOO game.

​The long lost formula for space 4X game success = Good tactical combat + good empire management > than just good tactical combat or good empire management alone.

JeanBaptisteEmanuelZorg #2 Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:13 PM

Captain

• Players

NNoooooo !!!! Auto-Resolve with your friends... NNnoooo !!!! Simply NO ! Really, you think it's possible... think twice... NNnoooo !!! NO ! That's the answer.

P.S. Player have to have same options no matter is it multiplayer or single. 

Edited by JeanBaptisteEmanuelZorg, 18 March 2016 - 08:15 PM.

"Nice pictures, nice UI, balance and a good AI" © "This is no mine, it's a tomb!"

Poll from Zorg : Combat is the Core for MOO Universe 4x Strategy

Poll from Zorg : No LOOT in MOO/CtS

Mikko_M #3 Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:21 PM

Rear Admiral

• Banned

View PostJeanBaptisteEmanuelZorg, on 18 March 2016 - 08:13 PM, said:

NNoooooo !!!! Auto-Resolve with your friends... NNnoooo !!!! Simply NO ! Really, you think it's possible... think twice... NNnoooo !!! NO ! That's the answer.

P.S. Player have to have same options no matter is it multiplayer or single. 

Yep, first you come up with multiple brilliant ship designs while playing the single player, but then you can`t truly test them against the designs of your friends or other human players. :( That would truly be such a waste of great gaming potential.  ​

Moreover, I advise that the tactical combat must be made more player controllable and informative for this to become a proper MOO game.

​The long lost formula for space 4X game success = Good tactical combat + good empire management > than just good tactical combat or good empire management alone.

Omega_Weapon #4 Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:07 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
Started playing a multiplayer game with my friend a few days ago. With no tactical combat the game is just a dull administrative simulator. Manage colonies, pick research and move ships around on the map until you "win". All combat decided by math, so no skill required. Exciting it isn't.

Francois424 #5 Posted 19 March 2016 - 04:56 AM

Commander

• Players
Yup Tactical combat is a must in MP otherwise it kills it for me.

Endsor #6 Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:20 PM

Commander

• Players
If I were to play multiplayer games I would demand tactical combat. But I never play multiplayer so I do not care.

Aquasarrious #7 Posted 19 March 2016 - 05:17 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
Nope.

Coyote720 #8 Posted 20 March 2016 - 12:02 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

A friend and I each have well over 1000 hours playing Endless Space. We autoresolved almost every combat because it kept the game moving.

It would be nice to have the option, and I hope they put the option in MOO4. However, it isn't a deal breaker for me.

HankMurphy #9 Posted 20 March 2016 - 12:28 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostCoyote720, on 19 March 2016 - 07:02 PM, said:

A friend and I each have well over 1000 hours playing Endless Space. We autoresolved almost every combat because it kept the game moving.

Are you having one over on us?

Yes, autoresolve. As opposed to the tactical combat in Endless Space that requires 5 seconds and clicking 3 cards??? lol

SD2 pretty much eats everyone else for lunch right now for the genre and even their tactical combat sucks. It's a big glaring HOLE in these alleged 4x games that no dev wants to bother with because the guy next to them isn't either. But it's a key component that just gets kicked by the wayside.

Just like AI does, btw.
None of these dev houses seem to have a clue on how to program even the most simplest adaptive behaviors.

I've said it before. I feel like like Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic 4X Park

"you do eventually plan on having some strategy in this strategy game, right?"

now if only i'd get the 'Jurassic' response!. The 4x equivelent of a trex telling me to shut up by throwing me through a rest stop bathroom bungalow!

... but in our version of the movie, everyone rides their automated jeep colony micromanagement click-fest back to the reception area without incident

and they all fly home wondering wtf they just wasted their weekend and $50.

Edited by HankMurphy, 20 March 2016 - 12:30 AM.

Captain Murphy: ...and so she goes, "Sixty-nine? You mean you want beef with broccoli?"
Master Loo: Yeah. Wow, sexist *and* racist. Two in one. You have a gift.

OrionSol #10 Posted 20 March 2016 - 12:35 AM

Captain

• Players
Ya, boring - can't test out ship/fleet designs.  

Jedi Master Or-ion Sol

Founder of THE JEDI ORDER | Community of Guilds 

www.jediswtor.com 

Lucian667 #11 Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:47 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
This is something of a no-brainer poll, clearly Multiplayer must have tactical combat. Although as HankMurphy points out so well, its also pretty important that tactical combat is eventually improved to the point that it actually involves some tactics.

ckhenson #12 Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:17 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
Anyone who has played CivV multi-player blesses that fact that it has quick combat. What will the other players be doing while you fight tactical battles? Quitting the game and playing something else I'd bet.
The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the Federal Government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State Governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace negotiation, and foreign commerce;...The powers reserved to the several states will extend to all the objects, which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the state.

Omega_Weapon #13 Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:37 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View Postckhenson, on 21 March 2016 - 12:17 PM, said:

Anyone who has played CivV multi-player blesses that fact that it has quick combat. What will the other players be doing while you fight tactical battles? Quitting the game and playing something else I'd bet.

I really like Civ 5, but Civ is not MOO. In Civ 5, you don't spend time designing military units so everybody's pike man is the same as everybody else's pike man. MOO is a more complex game because of in depth combat, and that is not a bad thing. We want it to be more than just "Civilization in Space".

Edited by Omega_Weapon, 21 March 2016 - 10:38 PM.

Harper73 #14 Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:46 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostOmega_Weapon, on 21 March 2016 - 10:37 PM, said:

I really like Civ 5, but Civ is not MOO. In Civ 5, you don't spend time designing military units so everybody's pike man is the same as everybody else's pike man. MOO is a more complex game because of in depth combat, and that is not a bad thing. We want it to be more than just "Civilization in Space".

I would like to see a few of the Civ 5 aspects included in a 4X game but with ship designs and controlled combat. I would like to see 4x games expand on more trade and diplomacy opportunities. A game with just combat can get a little redundant.

ckhenson #15 Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:54 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostOmega_Weapon, on 21 March 2016 - 10:37 PM, said:

True, but if you are playing with more than 2-players, what will the others be doing while you resolve combat with the player for whom you are at war?
The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the Federal Government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State Governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace negotiation, and foreign commerce;...The powers reserved to the several states will extend to all the objects, which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the state.

Munashiimaru #16 Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:15 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostCoyote720, on 19 March 2016 - 07:02 PM, said:

It would be nice to have the option, and I hope they put the option in MOO4. However, it isn't a deal breaker for me.

Endless Space is practically auto-resolved for you anyway :\

Munashiimaru #17 Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:20 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View Postckhenson, on 22 March 2016 - 07:54 AM, said:

True, but if you are playing with more than 2-players, what will the others be doing while you resolve combat with the player for whom you are at war?

Let them choose between spectating and managing their empire further (even though it could give intel worth tradeoff in entertainment(spin it as GNN reporters observing battle).  Also, have rules that limit what combats can be done tactical (force auto-resolve on fights that are 3-1 or worse odds in power and maybe don't allow tactical in very small battles; start combat closer than usual); also, have strict limits on time to keep people from dragging out fights (have all of the above setable at game start). 

Edited by Munashiimaru, 22 March 2016 - 02:21 PM.

Omega_Weapon #18 Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:54 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View Postckhenson, on 22 March 2016 - 07:54 AM, said:

Let them do anything in game that they want except move on to the next turn (manage colonies, manage research, study map and plan their next moves, even go grab a snack etc...). Or like suggested above you can let them watch the battle as spectators. Tactical battles don't have to take a really long time to play out. Especially with command points limiting fleet sizes. No need to worry about manually controlling 1000 ships in a fight vs another 1000 ships in a 2 hour long battle.

Lucian667 #19 Posted 25 March 2016 - 02:11 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostOmega_Weapon, on 22 March 2016 - 02:54 PM, said:

Let them do anything in game that they want except move on to the next turn (manage colonies, manage research, study map and plan their next moves, even go grab a snack etc...). Or like suggested above you can let them watch the battle as spectators. Tactical battles don't have to take a really long time to play out. Especially with command points limiting fleet sizes. No need to worry about manually controlling 1000 ships in a fight vs another 1000 ships in a 2 hour long battle.

I really like the spectator idea. It might give observant players access to tactical information they would not otherwise know but its still a pretty good solution that I think would satisfy most people.

Mikko_M #20 Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:41 AM

Rear Admiral

• Banned

View PostLucian667, on 25 March 2016 - 02:11 AM, said:

I really like the spectator idea. It might give observant players access to tactical information they would not otherwise know but its still a pretty good solution that I think would satisfy most people.

Me too. :) Let the players without on going combat either view their colonies and game stats and info or view the combat of other players.

In addition to that there are also options that can be included in creating the multiplayer games to limit the amount of player controlled combats per turn, the combat time per combat etc.

Also tagged with multiplayer, tactical combat, without, play, poll

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users