Traits vs numbers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Arent11 #1 Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:44 PM

Commander

• Players

I just wanted to point out that in general people like traits more than numbers. I like that there are so many options in the custom race screen but for RPG/psychological reasons people like it far more if the numbers have a name. For example, people like it more if:

(1) Humans are "charismatic" (+diplomacy, better heroes) instead of +diplomacy, better heroes

(2) Darlok are "shapechangers" (+espionage) instead of +espionage

(3) Mrrshan being "warlords" (+command points, elite troops) instead of +command points, elite troops

-> this might seem superfluous, since the difference is only a "name/word" instead of a "number", but people like to imagine Darloks beings "shapechangers" instead of just good at espionage ;)  

MaddCowQQ #2 Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:11 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
It depends on if the lore in this game supports the same lore of races in the other games.   That being said I'm all for flavor names :)

LeadfootSlim #3 Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:21 PM

Commander

• Players

I'm of the opposite opinion. I like MOO2's flavorful descriptors, but it's much easier to describe a race to newcomers (or for custom race balance) with simpler descriptors. Naming the Espionage bonus "shapechangers" would feel very strange on any race that wasn't Darloks, for example, just as Lithovore would feel weird on any race that wasn't Silicoids. (Maybe Meklar could get away with it, but you get the idea).

Prrsha #4 Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:47 AM

Commander

• Players

View PostArent11, on 25 March 2016 - 03:44 PM, said:

I just wanted to point out that in general people like traits more than numbers. I like that there are so many options in the custom race screen but for RPG/psychological reasons people like it far more if the numbers have a name. For example, people like it more if:

(1) Humans are "charismatic" (+diplomacy, better heroes) instead of +diplomacy, better heroes

(2) Darlok are "shapechangers" (+espionage) instead of +espionage

(3) Mrrshan being "warlords" (+command points, elite troops) instead of +command points, elite troops

-> this might seem superfluous, since the difference is only a "name/word" instead of a "number", but people like to imagine Darloks beings "shapechangers" instead of just good at espionage ;) 

The problem is that currently Mrrshan don't get extra command points, I see in their new lore why they are designed to have +25% ground troops and extended barracks, but their reflexes that give them a bonus to beam weapons (a hallmark is every Moo) is strangely absent.  Is seems like they mixed and swapped the Mrrshan's stats for the Terran's.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users