My suggestions for race variety

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Vahouth #1 Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:07 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

I've taken some screenshots from the custom race screen that represent my view for each race, and how to differentiate the playstyles for each one of them even further, always keeping true as best as I could to their original traits.

First of all, I removed the starting tech from each race except Psilons that still get Government, mostly because I think they ought to have a heads up. Then I tried to enforce some traits that I think are a better match from what we have now.   

So here we go. :)

The Alkari

Focus on defence and speed.

Spoiler

The Bulrathi

Best ground combat, High-G.

Spoiler

The Humans

Are diplomats with a morale penalty due to democracy (more strikes) but better assimilation rates.

Spoiler

The Klackon

Industrious with an unbreakable morale and hard time assimilating others, Arid Homeworld.

Spoiler

The Meklar

Pretty much the same but with slower growth rates and reduced ship costs.

Spoiler

The Mrrshan

Militarized awesome gunners, Large Desert Homeworld. 

Spoiler

The Psilons

Low-G Brainiacs, poor fighters. 

Spoiler

The Sakkra

Reproduce like rabbits, good gound combat and poor tech (inarticulate trait), Swamp Homeworld. 

Spoiler

So what you guys think? Any suggestions?

Edited by Vahouth, 25 March 2016 - 11:25 PM.

11171971 #2 Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:23 PM

Commander

• Players
I like your Alkari better than the in-game one. Some of the others imo will need custom race pics to be reworked to be viable - Mrrshan for example could have an interesting planetary invasion playstyle that captures other race's colonies to offset their own bad start if they had extended barracks and a special cheap version of troop transports much earlier in the tree.

LeadfootSlim #3 Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:00 PM

Commander

• Players
Definitely on the right track. Most crucially, starting the Uber-planet species on their respective Uber planets (Or their prerequisites, if their sub-Terran status can be accounted for) would be great.

Arent11 #4 Posted 27 March 2016 - 06:06 PM

Commander

• Players

Sounds good. However, I still think the warrior and builder races need to be more different from each other:

Alkari: Beam Defense

Mrrshan: Beam offense, Command Points, Elite Troops

Bulrathi: Ground Combat, Ship capturing via Assault shuttles

Sakkra: Growth, fast colonization & exploration, (cheaper ships + worse science aka "feudal" )  ;)

Meklar: Production bonus, should feed off *production* instead of food, maybe even be *bad* at producing food (Therefore ability to colonize hostile planets similar to silicoid, but to a lesser extend)

Klackon: Low tech species, should simply be unable to build a whole lot of buildings (especially morale buildings) but at the same time have productive population. Klackon should basically not *need* buildings, they should be fine from scratch.

Silicoid: Should be able to colonize even the worst planets from scratch and even favor them. Should slowly turn all planets they colonize to the worst possible biome (pollution) with the side effect that their planets are undesirable for other players

Vahouth #5 Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:25 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

So I tested my custom Meklar on Hard difficulty, in a small map with expansive opponents (Sakkra, Klackon and the Terran) and even though I had a rough start both in tech and in growth, I managed to win the game and actually felt like I was indeed playing a different race from the others. I felt like I was indeed playing the Meklar of old! 

And I had a lot of ground to cover as the Klackon were both the military and tech leaders.

Burnsey601 #6 Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:40 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

So I looked at the custom races.  Bulrathi race 'template' :  High G tolerance, 60.  Human 'template': High G tolerance, 60.  Alkari 'template' ,  I figure flight would be due to far lighter bones, High G tolerance, 60.  This makes no sense to me.  Some racial types should cost less for some things, but having all of them share the same costs, is very illogical.  Alkari might cost less to tolerate low G worlds but certainly not the same as the Bulrathi or Human for High G ones.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users