All 10 Races?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

LoneDragon27 #1 Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:04 PM

Ensign

• Players
Does that mean no Elachi, Triallarians, and Gnolam? Because that's disappointing.

Meego_Smash #2 Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:09 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
correct, I know, disappointing, but they are rolling the races out as we go along in the early access process.

LoneDragon27 #3 Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:13 PM

Ensign

• Players

I played Master of Orion 2 more than I played any other video game ever...and that's saying something. I used the Elachi more than any other race. I was hoping for all of the old races plus some new races, not some of the old races plus a second flavor of humans.

Also, did the Psilons always have 4 arms? I don't remember that.

Vahouth #4 Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:01 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

This is a MoO reboot not a MoO2 one, even though there are many similarities.

That means that the number of races and their appearance will be more in line with the first game of the series, so yes, Psilons had 4 arms back then, Alkari were more akin to birds than pterosaurs, Meklar were more robotic etc.

And of course no MoO2 races. At least not yet. ;)

Edited by Vahouth, 29 March 2016 - 05:02 PM.

LoneDragon27 #5 Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:07 PM

Ensign

• Players

But why remake the second best game in a series?(I've heard 3 was not good but haven't played myself)

I'll probably go ahead and pick it up anyway(when it goes on sale because I am poor). I have been waiting years for a new game that was like Master of Orion...none of the similar games I have tried have compared. I'm just going to assume that there will eventually be at least one expansion, and that they will do us the courtesy of adding the missing races before adding any new races.

Also, how have 2 people replied to my topic without viewing it?

Vahouth #6 Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:14 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

Well, if you want to reboot a series, you take it from the start. ;)

The way I see it, expansions or DLCs are bound to come later on. There are even hints on the Antarans and Trilarians in the GNN crawl.

Also this topic already has views but are not yet counted. Wait a couple of hours to be sure.

LoneDragon27 #7 Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:22 PM

Ensign

• Players
I'd have probably already bought this if I wasn't poor...hopefully I'll have enough extra money next month to pick up a steam card and I'll grab it the next time it's on sale. I already wanted it just for being Master of Orion but I just found out about the voice cast and now I must have it!!

diehardtwinsfan #8 Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:58 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
They may go along the lines of XCOM and release a CTS v2 upgrade with a few more new races... if the game does well, a $20 upgrade or something like that might be an easier way to implement it.  I'd add though that while MOO3 sucked, I liked the idea behind the Ikthul.  A parasitic race would definitely add a nice wrinkle into the game.

LeadfootSlim #9 Posted 15 April 2016 - 04:39 AM

Commander

• Players

I can see two possibilities;

-Purely cosmetic DLC with new existing race picks alotted. The Terran Khanate, with its blunt-force military bonuses and exquisite leader voice work, seems a prime candidate for this approach. Some peripheral races like the Gnolams (economy) or the Elerians (Military, with... more boobs?) would work here.

-A proper "Expansion" adding new races and commeasurate mechanics, both in race picks and possible techs/interactions. The Trilarians and their Aquatic trait are a possible contender here, but the inclusion of their Ocean-specific traits and a special Uber planet wouldn't be so drastic as to warrant an entire precedent of added mechanics. Other races, and indeed other gameplay features, would be needed to justify this approach.

However, if we're going for aesthetics, I can only see the Khanate and the Elerians working as cosmetic DLC. Gnolams are ugly little bastards, and the players who are die-hard enough to want them are probably too cheap to pay up!

Argordon #10 Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:08 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostLeadfootSlim, on 15 April 2016 - 04:39 AM, said:

I can see two possibilities;

-Purely cosmetic DLC with new existing race picks alotted. The Terran Khanate, with its blunt-force military bonuses and exquisite leader voice work, seems a prime candidate for this approach. Some peripheral races like the Gnolams (economy) or the Elerians (Military, with... more boobs?) would work here.

-A proper "Expansion" adding new races and commeasurate mechanics, both in race picks and possible techs/interactions. The Trilarians and their Aquatic trait are a possible contender here, but the inclusion of their Ocean-specific traits and a special Uber planet wouldn't be so drastic as to warrant an entire precedent of added mechanics. Other races, and indeed other gameplay features, would be needed to justify this approach.

However, if we're going for aesthetics, I can only see the Khanate and the Elerians working as cosmetic DLC. Gnolams are ugly little bastards, and the players who are die-hard enough to want them are probably too cheap to pay up!

I would SOoooo add Gnolams to my list of races. I would love enslaving them for a racial bonus for money creation. What a great way to help your empire when you are short on cash and far from that Economic tech advance... go enslave a few Gnolam colonies! They make ok doctors/scientists too ... slave accountants and doctors...ahhh what a great game. (Hey, I am not crazy, just really in touch with my inner Trump).

maddmaxx212 #11 Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:52 AM

Ensign

• Players
DLC/Expansion.

They need to leave some things out to make $$$$$ off of.  

EmperorNortonII #12 Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:04 PM

Ensign

• Players

View PostLoneDragon27, on 29 March 2016 - 05:07 PM, said:

But why remake the second best game in a series?(I've heard 3 was not good but haven't played myself)

They *are* remaking the best game in the series.

LeadfootSlim #13 Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:01 PM

Commander

• Players

View Postmaddmaxx212, on 29 April 2016 - 03:52 AM, said:

DLC/Expansion.

They need to leave some things out to make $$$$$ off of.  

See signature.

Comparatively speaking I'm fine with it, because Custom Race is always a thing.

MadCaptainBob #14 Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:22 AM

Ensign

• Players

Personally, I hope they move in a different direction than just copying MOO2 with any race expansions, particularly since the MOO2 races were pretty uninspired.

Gnolams: generic Jewish stereotype econ race

Elerians: blue-skinned psychic space elf amazons might actually have some potential for reinvention in a modern context, had their concept not been lifted from Star Control

Trilarian: an aquatic race wouldn't be a bad idea but you can't really get away with Lovecraft ripoffs in this day and age

LordSval #15 Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:07 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

I really wouldn't hold out hope for any MENTION of MoO3 races, let alone inclusion.

The MoO2 races are another matter entirely. I think the Gnolam, Elerian and Trilarian are definite candidates for inclusion in a DLC.

Prrsha #16 Posted 12 May 2016 - 06:01 PM

Commander

• Players
Terran are new to the mix.  However I have no clue to how they came to be.  Are they a lost colony of Humans?  If so how did they stray so far from Sol when Warp drives just got invented?

The_StormWraith #17 Posted 12 May 2016 - 06:30 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostPrrsha, on 12 May 2016 - 06:01 PM, said:

Terran are new to the mix.  However I have no clue to how they came to be.  Are they a lost colony of Humans?  If so how did they stray so far from Sol when Warp drives just got invented?

Leonardo Da Vinci did some AMAZING stuff with pulleys and canvas.

Or Area 51 was a launch site that got shut down after they lost contact with the Colony Ships.

Or we can go back to Stonehenge and simply wave a dismissive hand and say, "Merlin Did It".

StormWraith, Feudal Sakkran Researcher

and failed reporter for the "Ask A Silicoid!" advice column.

fourteenfour #18 Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:21 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostPrrsha, on 12 May 2016 - 01:01 PM, said:

No, they are cut and paste cardboard people from  the weird girls whom after watching Star Trek The Wrath of Khan one too many times  write erotic crossover fan fiction and smell like old meat. They are Star Trek TOS's TERRAN EMPIRE - you know, that mirror universe with bearded Spock that DS9 and ENT both had to visit and sully? Still they are way to cut and paste, identical ships and guys wearing masks. The zero effort zero originality race they actually had the gall to suggest would be a DLC?

Edited by fourteenfour, 03 June 2016 - 03:22 AM.

Wargaming Labs, taking the money and running. Abandons MOO CTS after their contract development staff could not deliver without ever one word to players.

diehardtwinsfan #19 Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:58 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
I'd really like to know if they plan on bringing the Antarans back in.  There are references to them in GNN and in the Tech tree, but they are nowhere to be found.

misterdance #20 Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:45 AM

Ensign

• Players

Question for anyone in the know... How much of the MoO 3 lore will be retconned? The CtS lore regarding the Darlocks revealed that they were genetically engineered from a slug-like lifeform (presumably by the Orions?); whereas MoO3 established they were the result of failed self-evolution of Trilarian exiles (whom later would succeed and become the Sakkra). I'm a "fluff-bunny", and always prefer the story to the game. I really liked the detailed history given in MoO3 and hope we get something similar from CtS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users