A Mod for Moo2

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Prrsha #1 Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:00 AM

Commander

• Players

I've been a vet to Moo1 and 2 for so many years however I found moo2 lacking gameplay balance wise when it came to the AI.  The AI would never research the technology that would suit their race's benefits and after many years of mismatched combat scenarios, I developed a mod that restricted technology research based on race.  Sure you can trade or even steal the technology you can't research later but this goes more along the vein of Moo1 where each race had certain rating of tech savvy.  For example: to compensate Silicoid's expansion rate in moo1, silicoids had a poor rating in every category of tech except for Computers.  Sakkra excelled at Planetology and Mrrshan at weaponry.  In moo1 this effected the number or techs you could research for a given race.  With the mod I made with the editor CoOrion, I made a very similar scenario and I do enjoy the balance of Moo2 more.  Since Moo2 is getting released again in the collector's bundle, I thought I would offer to post it here again, if people wish.

Here is a run down of the tech tree.  It is pretty lengthy.  The one exception is that Psilons get access to any tech, however they don't get access to ALL 3 at once in a category (like how creative used to work).  In this version you are free to pick any tech but you only get to pick one out of the 3 in each category.  Uncreative races like Klackon get their tech randomly chosen for them from the chart based on what they can research.

The mod list is below and is in rtf Wordpad format: http://www.mediafire.com/download/d5t7mxovcgkf5az/Moo2Mod.rtf

If you enjoy what you see and wish to try it I'll see about getting a larger host to host the entire patch files.

PS Mrrshan may SEEM strong but they are a very hard crippled race to play.  They get low BC income due to their new feudal government and get an additional -0.5BC penalty.  If you can make it past all of that and micromanage then can be a nasty force to play with.  IMHO the race that is most imbalanced here are the Triliarians.  It was the last race I really got around to truly fix.  Also the antarians are really hard in this game.  One of their ships are equipped with a stellar converter and they are not afraid to use it in later stages of the game.  :P

Moo4 #2 Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:47 PM

Captain

• Players
Another vote for the ice mod. 

I want a moddable Master of Orion 1.5 with focus on interface and pacing.  Come discuss MoO 1.5 ideas HERE!

Prrsha #3 Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:59 PM

Commander

• Players
I have never tried the ICE mod but I'll have to fire up my old P2 PC and give it whirl.  If anything, I get to play hotseat again.  :3

plasmacannontime #4 Posted 14 August 2016 - 11:13 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostPrrsha, on 06 May 2016 - 05:59 PM, said:

I have never tried the ICE mod but I'll have to fire up my old P2 PC and give it whirl.  If anything, I get to play hotseat again.  :3

​You don't even need that.
I use my Windows 10 machine.
You can get the MOO2 patch version 1.50 and the ICE mod here: ​

MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, MOO4 trending downward, getting older waiting for a MOO5 (a modern version of mostly MOO2).

voidstalker_woe #5 Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:43 AM

Captain

• Players

I want to remove or change some small things in MoO2.  The things I would like to do is change the fuel cell ranges, so they start off with 4 like normal, but then gain just +2 with each new level, so;

Standard      = 4 parsecs range

Deuterium    = 6 parsecs range

Irridium         = 9 parsecs range

Thorium       = unlimited range (Ruins my enjoyment of the game)

Becomes:

Standard      =  4 parsecs range

Deuterium    =  6 parsecs range

Irridium         =  8 parsecs range

Thorium       = 10 parsecs range (Preserves the ability to stop AI's from killing each other off, so I can do it later, lol.)

Naturally, the extended fuel cell would extend than by the same 50% as it normally does, but instead of 6 - 9 - 13.5 - Unlimited, we would see 6 - 9 - 12 - 15 ranges, so the AI's can still navigate the map, but they cannot just go and attack all the way across the map.

Any thoughts on what I need to do to make this happen?

Further more, I believe that we must start building a better MoO5 now, for only by doing so can we get tomorrow's game, today!

Spud_Dastardly #6 Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:42 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
The patch 1.5 manual has some notes on modding with the new patch.  You might take a look at that.  I haven't worked with it myself.

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

voidstalker_woe #7 Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:13 AM

Captain

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 07 November 2016 - 01:42 AM, said:

The patch 1.5 manual has some notes on modding with the new patch.  You might take a look at that.  I haven't worked with it myself.

Thanks man, I will check that out presently.

I goofed.  It should have looked like this:

Irridium         =  9 parsecs range

Urridum       = 12 parsecs range

Thorium       = unlimited range (Ruins my enjoyment of the game)

Becomes:

Irridium         =  8 parsecs range

Urridum       = 10 parsecs range

Thorium       = 12 parsecs range (Preserves the ability to stop AI's from killing each other off, so I can do it later, lol.)

Naturally, the extended fuel cell would extend than by the same 50% as it normally does, but instead of 6 - 9 - 13.5 - 18 - Unlimited, we would see 6 - 9 - 12 - 15 - 18 ranges, so the AI's can still navigate the map, but they cannot just go and attack all the way across the map.

Further more, I believe that we must start building a better MoO5 now, for only by doing so can we get tomorrow's game, today!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users