Hate star lanes? Think Stellaris!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Rustypipe_2016 #21 Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:37 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostLucian667, on 08 May 2016 - 02:27 AM, said:

Not sure exactly who's responsible but I totally agree that whoever it is better wake up SOON to the fact that tactical combat is their only selling point when compared to a competition which totally outclasses them at literally everything else. Because one thing is certain, MOO 4's simplistic, casual-friendly, starlane-infested strategic layer holds zero interest for me. I stopped playing RISK when I was 12 and if they're not going to fix the starlanes the only reason I would have left for buying this game is GOOD, hands-on tactical combat IF they can provide it.

Honestly when I first got into EA and saw they put in this poor RTS tactical combat I was asking why?  Why would they just want to do what everyone else in the market is.  Just reminds me of why MMO's market went straight in the toilet.  To make things worse they spent a tremendous amount of time on a Turn Based system that was fully functional and scrapped it.  I really think they through brought something unique to the table for tactical combat it would really differentiate the game from the other in the market.  Sadly I don't see this happening as I think its to late in the game now, but you never know.  Also they are making the game very easy to mod from what I hear so maybe the modding community will build something.

Endsor #22 Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:19 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostRustypipe_2016, on 08 May 2016 - 02:37 AM, said:

Sadly I don't see this happening as I think its to late in the game now, but you never know.  Also they are making the game very easy to mod from what I hear so maybe the modding community will build something.

If all the major changes are really finished then then they have failed miserably and it would take a modder of superhuman skills to fix their mess. This is painfully familiar to what happened with moo3 on the Atari forums so many years ago. Rest in peace beloved moo franchise, you deserve so much better than this.

fourteenfour #23 Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:33 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostEndsor, on 08 May 2016 - 09:19 AM, said:

If all the major changes are really finished then then they have failed miserably and it would take a modder of superhuman skills to fix their mess. This is painfully familiar to what happened with moo3 on the Atari forums so many years ago. Rest in peace beloved moo franchise, you deserve so much better than this.

MOO3 was a whole different mess, Alan Emrich turned it into Excel in Space which is what Stellaris reminds me of too, so many numbers and most of it just clutter. Huge lists of things and its tactical combat makes this moo version look good. and the constant "Hostile Fleet Detected" .....

Oh I will get Stellaris when its on sale .... like half off but after watching hours of various streamers on twitch right now that game has near zero appeal.

Wargaming Labs, taking the money and running. Abandons MOO CTS after their contract development staff could not deliver without ever one word to players.

Zenicetus #24 Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:38 AM

Commander

• Players

I don't see what the fuss is all about. They're apples and oranges.

I'll play Stellaris when I want to drag out a long game over a period of a week or two, focusing mainly on diplomacy and role-playing as a highly customized Grand Tentacular Emperor of my quadrant of the Galaxy. I'll play NewMoo when I want a fun game that doesn't require that heavy a time commitment, and where I can have fun playing Space Fleet Commander in the battles.

Meanwhile I might even play Endless Space 2 when it comes out. Why do I have to choose just one? The only one I probably won't be playing -- barring some massive changes -- is GalCiv3, which turned out to be disappointing.

Lucian667 #25 Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:01 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostZenicetus, on 09 May 2016 - 12:38 AM, said:

I don't see what the fuss is all about. They're apples and oranges.

I'll play Stellaris when I want to drag out a long game over a period of a week or two, focusing mainly on diplomacy and role-playing as a highly customized Grand Tentacular Emperor of my quadrant of the Galaxy. I'll play NewMoo when I want a fun game that doesn't require that heavy a time commitment, and where I can have fun playing Space Fleet Commander in the battles.

Meanwhile I might even play Endless Space 2 when it comes out. Why do I have to choose just one? The only one I probably won't be playing -- barring some massive changes -- is GalCiv3, which turned out to be disappointing.

The fuss arises if you happen to view forced starlanes as a deal breaker in a space 4x. If you dont then good for you, but many people most certainly do. Personally speaking, starlanes aren't quite enough - by themselves - to prevent me from purchasing. But they are more than enough to drag the entire game down to the point that the remainder of the gameplay (particularly the tactical combat) had better be completely awesome to compensate for the massive drag-factor.

Unfortunately at the moment that simply isn't the case. I intend to hang around until final release to see if they can pull a miraculous rabbit out of the hat, but by this stage the fate of MOO 4 is likely sealed for me as simply not worth buying. My money will almost certainly be going towards Stellaris instead. I would buy both games if MOO 4 actually offered something that interested me, but in its current state MOO 4 offers absolutely nothing that other games dont do a much better job at. Sad but true.

Zenicetus #26 Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:52 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostLucian667, on 09 May 2016 - 06:01 AM, said:

Unfortunately at the moment that simply isn't the case. I intend to hang around until final release to see if they can pull a miraculous rabbit out of the hat, but by this stage the fate of MOO 4 is likely sealed for me as simply not worth buying. My money will almost certainly be going towards Stellaris instead. 

Well then, you'd better keep an eye on initial reports for Stellaris, because it may not be the Golden Child you're looking for. The IGN review, for one, isn't very positive:

http://www.ign.com/a...tellaris-review

Actually I don't think that's very surprising, because Stellaris is looking like a foundation for something that will be amazing, but not all the moving parts are in there yet. Like other Paradox games it will probably need a passel of DLC's (trade, spies, etc.) and lots of patching to reach full potential. And combat will always be a simple movie you watch.

I bought Stellaris on pre-order and I'll play it tonight, but I'm not expecting perfection. I can have fun with games that are works-in-progress, as long as there is something that I find attractive. It's why I'm here with the EA for this game.

fourteenfour #27 Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:32 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
Well I totally  skipped Stellaris simply by watch streamers play. When even the good streamers could not hold my interest in the game I knew it was a on sale only purchase
Wargaming Labs, taking the money and running. Abandons MOO CTS after their contract development staff could not deliver without ever one word to players.

neilkaz #28 Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:26 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View Postfourteenfour, on 09 May 2016 - 10:32 PM, said:

Well I totally  skipped Stellaris simply by watch streamers play. When even the good streamers could not hold my interest in the game I knew it was a on sale only purchase

I have to agree. I almost pulled the trigger, but after watching another hour tonight, I simply wasn't thrilled. I've never played any of Paradox's Grand Strategy games and while I would like the early phase of Stellaris, I don't expect to like th mid game where many reviewers say it bogs down and I also don't need any endgame surprises when I am likely to win.

CTS has potential but a lot more work needs to be done, and for me, I need then to ditch star lanes or at least make it so the player can select whether they are in the game or not at the start.

Lucian667 #29 Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:44 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostZenicetus, on 09 May 2016 - 08:52 PM, said:

Well then, you'd better keep an eye on initial reports for Stellaris, because it may not be the Golden Child you're looking for. The IGN review, for one, isn't very positive:

http://www.ign.com/a...tellaris-review

Actually I don't think that's very surprising, because Stellaris is looking like a foundation for something that will be amazing, but not all the moving parts are in there yet. Like other Paradox games it will probably need a passel of DLC's (trade, spies, etc.) and lots of patching to reach full potential. And combat will always be a simple movie you watch.

I bought Stellaris on pre-order and I'll play it tonight, but I'm not expecting perfection. I can have fun with games that are works-in-progress, as long as there is something that I find attractive. It's why I'm here with the EA for this game.

I think you're probably right about Stellaris, no tactical combat is a huge negative for me but at least with Stellaris there are some things I find interesting and innovative enough to spend money on. With MOO 4 there is almost NOTHING that hasn't been done 10 times better and more competently by many other games. If MOO 4 drops the ball on tactical combat (which seems likely at this stage) then there will be absolutely nothing attractive about it at all.

Commander_Zog #30 Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:31 AM

Ensign

• Players
Hah, I wonder if anyone bought stellaris to avoid star lanes. The new update just removed all ftl methods except for star lanes. :D I found this post trying find a mod to return stellaris to the way it should be.

Laegad #31 Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:51 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostCommander_Zog, on 27 February 2018 - 01:31 AM, said:

Hah, I wonder if anyone bought stellaris to avoid star lanes. The new update just removed all ftl methods except for star lanes. :D I found this post trying find a mod to return stellaris to the way it should be.

Huuuu... Really... This is a joke, I prefer to think ?

I never played Stellaris... Actually i'm playing Endless space 2...

Anyway, IMO star line is a major mistake in MOO.

I played other and several spatial 4X, i can compare gameplay, and .... it's space... it should be opened,

And for a good gameplay, turtle - that star line allow and produce - is boring, and even can ruin a game.

Edited by Laegad, 27 February 2018 - 06:52 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users