IGN and Stellaris

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

MasterOfOrionConquerTheS #1 Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:25 AM

Captain

• Players

So Stellaris got a 6.3 in IGN review.

Wtf ? Am I crazy for liking the game ? Or is the reviewer who's crazy ? They complain about the late game, i haven't gotten that far yet. Anyone got an informed opinion about it ? I'm not sure how i could get bored, i alreay got a vassal after an early game war and are already planning to ally with//backstab a larger empire next.

Toughts? 

*Edited "Got bored to "Could get bored"

Edited by MasterOfOrionConquerTheS, 11 May 2016 - 11:44 PM.

fourteenfour #2 Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:00 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostMasterOfOrionConquerTheS, on 10 May 2016 - 07:25 PM, said:

So Stellaris got a 6.3 in IGN review.

Wtf ? Am I crazy for liking the game ? Or is the reviewer who's crazy ? They complain about the late game, i haven't gotten that far yet. Anyone got an informed opinion about it ? I'm not sure how i got bored, i alreay got a vassal after an early game war and are already planning to ally with//backstab a larger empire next.

Toughts? 

Well not everyone's idea of a 4x game includes no tactical combat, game taking over management for five or more colonies grouped, and such. Well that and having to set your graphics options  through console line commands is just peachy. Let alone, the game doesn't deserve mention here because they aren't aimed at the same  crowd.
Wargaming Labs, taking the money and running. Abandons MOO CTS after their contract development staff could not deliver without ever one word to players.

JeanBaptisteEmanuelZorg #3 Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:16 AM

Captain

• Players

View Postfourteenfour, on 11 May 2016 - 02:00 AM, said:

Well not everyone's idea of a 4x game includes no tactical combat, game taking over management for five or more colonies grouped, and such. Well that and having to set your graphics options  through console line commands is just peachy. Let alone, the game doesn't deserve mention here because they aren't aimed at the same  crowd.

Tactical combat is very poor in MooNew. And IGN is famous for it's "strange" opinions. This way or the other I payed for Conquer The Stars, so now I'm waiting for my Master of Orion. Hope WG will release it one sunny day.

"Nice pictures, nice UI, balance and a good AI" © "This is no mine, it's a tomb!"

Poll from Zorg : Combat is the Core for MOO Universe 4x Strategy

Poll from Zorg : No LOOT in MOO/CtS

Mikko_M #4 Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:19 PM

Rear Admiral

• Banned

View Postfourteenfour, on 11 May 2016 - 02:00 AM, said:

​No, but sadly most game developers still constantly believe so, as we have seen with the development process of this new MOO as well. For some strange reason no game developer seems to see the obvious opportunity to do the same to space 4X games what Creative Assembly`s Total War has done to historic games. To combine the empire management side with interesting battles. Steve Barcia and his team did this some 20 years ago, but since then this winning formula has been sadly lost in space 4X games. :(

Moreover, I advise that the tactical combat must be made more player controllable and informative for this to become a proper MOO game.

​The long lost formula for space 4X game success = Good tactical combat + good empire management > than just good tactical combat or good empire management alone.

Vahouth #5 Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:48 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

Though the review raises some valid concerns, I really got the impression that the reviewer is different person from the guy giving the score. I could understand a 7.3/10 or a 7.8/10, but 6.3/10? I just cannot see a justification for it.

He played almost 80 hours and the final verdict is simply "okay"? I don't buy it. Besides, IGN Italia gave it a 93/100. :P

In any case this review is on the minority here as only 3 critics gave it bellow 70/100 according to the Metacritic.

And there is also the Overwhelmingly positive feedback from Steam (95%) of over 2,400 reviews.

CecilPaladin #6 Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:15 PM

Commander

• Players

Looks like its gotten some very positive feedback.  I might give it a shot this weekend.  :)

PC Gamer gave it 70/100:  http://www.pcgamer.com/stellaris-review/

Block Quote

The early game promises an instant strategy classic, but Stellaris is unable to maintain that pace.

I'm disappointed, because Stellaris's first few hours hinted at a smart, scintillating reinvention of the 4X. The early game is packed full of personality, but it's squandered as the hours roll on.

Edited by CecilPaladin, 11 May 2016 - 06:19 PM.

bk57_hoanglam #7 Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:47 AM

Ensign

• Players
It should be 80/100!

plasmacannontime #8 Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:04 PM

Commander

• Players

View Postfourteenfour, on 10 May 2016 - 09:00 PM, said:

​This is what ruins it for me as well.

I prefer Tactical combat and self management, instead of auto resolve or watch a movie of the combat. I want to make my own decisions and those decisions to have an effect on the game. If the computer does it all, then what am I there for?

Civ4 had a button for us to choose to emphasize production or science for example. That's about as much help I need from the computer.

I have queues already.

MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, MOO4 trending downward, getting older waiting for a MOO5 (a modern version of mostly MOO2).

Meglok #9 Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:22 PM

Ensign

• Players

Stellaris was released long before it was ready with major issues and problems with balance and design.  PDS has finally admitted it after about 6 patches and they are now coming out with a new "patch" that is doing a serious revamp on how the game works.  Alliances are gone, it is either Federation or solo, resources are getting changed around, planet habitability is changing, ship types and combat is changing, and more.  From reading the patch DDs it is almost an entirely new game.  But the patch is 1 -2 months away so everyone keep playing this clunky beta game seems to be the way PDS is handling it.  

At least with MOO you knew your were buying a beta game and were helping to create it.   Judging from the releases of Stellaris and HOI4 the marketing strategy with PDS seems to be release a beta game as ready to play and make the customers pay to test it.

"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him."   Robert Anson Heinlein

MasterOfOrionConquerTheS #10 Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:20 PM

Captain

• Players
Coming back to this post, i must say I IGN was kind of... right. Eventually when i did get further into Stellaris, the experience decayed SO FAST... Hope patchs fix it. 

Vahouth #11 Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:56 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

I have very high hopes for the Heinlein patch coming this October. 

I major revamp is on the way. All for the better. ;)

MasterOfOrionConquerTheS #12 Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:58 PM

Captain

• Players

ohh gonna read about that. BTW i hate their plantoid Dlc... isn't that something you can just get trough a mod ?

Just read about the october patch and now i have high hopes too!

Edited by MasterOfOrionConquerTheS, 26 August 2016 - 11:16 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users