Civ 6 just announced -- hope they get things right

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Moo4 #1 Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:57 PM

Captain

• Players

Posting here because I'd like to see a bit of civ (not much) in MoO 1.5.

http://www.polygon.c...se-date-preview

Biggest change is one that I support.  City buildings now take a hex and get rewards for 'matching' buildings on appropriate hexes.  

Block Quote

He says that the "number one" problem the team has identified about Civ 5 is that players often settle on certain strategic paths, and they play the same way every time. For example, when I build cities, I'm almost always looking at Monument, Shrine, Granary, Library, Walls, Coliseum. I rarely change this formula, nor others theirs.

Gee, sound familiar Wargaming?  This has been a MoO2 problem for 20 years and yet you've done nothing to address it (arguably made it worse with pollution mechanic).

Block Quote

"A lot of other districts get bonuses for being near your city center," he adds. "We have 12 different districts and each of them has rules about how you place buildings, which our user interface helps you through. You’ll learn pretty quickly how all these layout decisions work and what’s going to be an optimal layout for your city."

This brings an element of SimCityplanning to Civilization. Now that buildings require some sort of geographic condition in order to exist, each city becomes unique and an individual challenge. 

I think MoO should take a step in limiting building spam by 

a) reducing number of buildings (so many of them are generic number buffs anyways)

b) limiting the type/number of buildings per city (see civ 6 changes above)

c) limiting the type/number of buildings per empire (see wonders/national buildings of civ)

I want a moddable Master of Orion 1.5 with focus on interface and pacing.  Come discuss MoO 1.5 ideas HERE!

Ilserrad #2 Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:35 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
If you limit building spam, what is a colony gonna do all day?

11171971 #3 Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:38 PM

Commander

• Players
Ew. Looks like Civ3 will continue to be the best Civ. That is basically the worst thing about Endless Legend.

Ilserrad #4 Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:48 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

I thought the worst thing about endless legend was the region system.

I always thought the district system was kinda neat.

Lucian667 #5 Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:09 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View Post11171971, on 11 May 2016 - 06:38 PM, said:

Ew. Looks like Civ3 will continue to be the best Civ. That is basically the worst thing about Endless Legend.

Never played Civ 3, is it really better than Civ 4? I've pretty much stuck with 4 after being disappointed with 5.

Moo4 #6 Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:52 AM

Captain

• Players
Fall from heaven mod (and mod mods) are amazing for Civ 4  (looks at forum avatar)

I want a moddable Master of Orion 1.5 with focus on interface and pacing.  Come discuss MoO 1.5 ideas HERE!

JosEPh_II #7 Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:42 PM

Captain

• Players

I have mixed feelings over VI. It looks to be just an updated V. I sincerely hope I'm wrong. And Sid and Co. are trying to do something new. But many of the features they are touting for VI ( Not all of course but many) I already have access to thru Modding Civ IV BtS in the Mod Caveman2Cosmos. 

The advantage of VI will be the 64bit engine and Hopefully ease of modding.

JosEPh

Old and Slow.....Watch Out! It's Not Y'uns Turn!

Ilserrad #8 Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:42 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

I wonder how the district system is going to affect city defense.

Will they do away with the city bombardment and just force tiles to 'equip' garrison units individually?

Will they keep the bombardment mechanic and have every tile fire separately at incoming invaders?

Will specific military districts be necessary for city defense?

11171971 #9 Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:17 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostLucian667, on 12 May 2016 - 07:09 AM, said:

Never played Civ 3, is it really better than Civ 4? I've pretty much stuck with 4 after being disappointed with 5.

Civ3 suits my playstyle way more than Civ4. I like rapid expansion and then blitzing down my neighbors. Civ4's mechanics punish you for doing that. Ironically that's one of the few things this version of MoO allows even if the AI isn't up to snuff.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users