The problems with Nebulas and Asteroids in Tactical Combat

nebula tactical combat asteroids

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Prrsha #1 Posted 12 May 2016 - 05:27 PM

Commander

• Players

While I love the idea of Nebulas and Asteroids in Tactical Combat, there is a big problem with the consistency of them.  For example.  If I am guarding say a node, there is a random chance there will be a nebula or asteroids in that particular combat.  Other times they are not even present.

Nebulas and asteroids just don't "appear" in a location especially around a planet on a whim.  There should be some permanency to them.

They really need to be added to the star map like in Master of Orion 1 or 2.  If I see an asteroid belt on the map and chose combat there, well... there should be asteroids there in tactical.  The same thing goes for a nebula.  It would make for some fun strategies like building a fleet without shields for extra room on purpose just to challenge an outpost or planet in a nebula.

Unless you are testing the affect of them in combat right now, they need to be removed as they really clutter the tactical battle screen (making your ship have to maneuver past them) even though there is no reason for them to be there is the first place.

Nebulas on the star map would also have an extra bonus for the space factory... maybe allow it to harvest the nebula in an area where there is one on the main map?  If anything their appearance shouldn't be random in combat.  They should either be there or not there for the sake of consistency, imho.

voidstalker_woe #2 Posted 12 May 2016 - 05:54 PM

Captain

• Players

I have posted elsewhere, that I want a game setup option to just turn the darned things on/off, but outright removal would work for me as well. So something like:

Asteroids   ON__  OFF__

Nebulas     ON__  OFF__

Somewhere during game setup, so those that choose to have them can, and those that do not want them, can have them out of the game.

Further more, I believe that we must start building a better MoO5 now, for only by doing so can we get tomorrow's game, today!

Stelar_7 #3 Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:30 PM

Captain

• Players

I like the idea of asteroids in orbit of a planet, but in my mind they were moved there for industry. In terms of practicality we should see neither in close proximity to a planet. I have seen the AI use them for cover though and that was cool.

Perhaps the "Asteroids" could be replaced with civilian structures, warehouses and such, things with no game effect that could go boom to underscore that war sucks. Nebulae are interesting but they should be huge masses in space, not small clouds in orbit. I would like to see them be system wide effects, but to have their effect on missiles changed as they are unbalanced at the moment.

LeadfootSlim #4 Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:31 PM

Commander

• Players
I can understand leaving them everywhere during Early Access to test them more thoroughly, but I'd agree with toning down their frequency.

However, there is a precedent for frequent asteroids - at Warp Points, anyway. The "Oort Cloud" is a massive, sun-encircling belt of debris beyond the orbit of Pluto. It's not exactly as dense as the asteroid belts portrayed in most fiction, but for gameplay purposes, clear skies above planets and asteroids at warp points is a nice, clear distinction.

Omega_Weapon #5 Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:07 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
I agree that nebulas and asteroid fields should be permanent and visible on the galactic map. The nebula's should be system wide (or even span several systems), while asteroid fields could be permanently located around specific planets and warp points.

voidstalker_woe #6 Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:12 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostStelar_7, on 12 May 2016 - 03:30 PM, said:

I like the idea of asteroids in orbit of a planet, but in my mind they were moved there for industry. 

+1.

Someone thinking about what a space faring civilization will do!

Further more, I believe that we must start building a better MoO5 now, for only by doing so can we get tomorrow's game, today!

Also tagged with nebula, tactical combat, asteroids

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users