Saved Games, File size

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

CecilPaladin #21 Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:20 AM

Commander

• Players
I did some file transfers of saved games this weekend while I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10.  Noticed that you really don't need the .data files which are the much larger files.  As Prrsha mentioned, the data file is probably for the devs to use incase we run into any bugs or errors along the way.  You only need the .save files, which are only up to about half a MB each which isn't bad at all.  I'll just have to run through and remove all the .data files from time to time if they get too large.

DAOWAce #22 Posted 26 August 2018 - 02:18 AM

Ensign

• Players

View PostCecilPaladin, on 27 June 2016 - 04:20 AM, said:

Noticed that you really don't need the .data files which are the much larger files.  As Prrsha mentioned, the data file is probably for the devs to use incase we run into any bugs or errors along the way.  You only need the .save files, which are only up to about half a MB each which isn't bad at all.  I'll just have to run through and remove all the .data files from time to time if they get too large.

So.. 2 years later, they still left the debug stuff on?

Wanted to return and play a MOO game again, checked my save folder and had 2GB worth of saves for my last playthrough.  Google about it and find this thread, which hasn't been updated in 2 years.

It autosaves every turn.  Every turn it's writing an increasing amount of data + whatever manual saves you do.  You can easily hit 100GB of writes in one play session, which is extremely bad for SSDs.

Has anyone found a way to disable this assumed debug data?

It's absolutely absurd nothing has changed 2 years after release.

Wish I knew about this earlier so I could've symlinked the save folder to my storage HDD.  RIP all that lifespan.

EDIT: Apparently this is due to the 'timeline' feature.. something I didn't even know existed.   There's no option to disable it.   There also weren't any autosaves back then, the timeline was the only 'autosave'.

https://steamcommuni...40166693117652/

While this seems like a great feature and all.. it's extremely unoptimized from a user standpoint.  I can't think of any situations to use this feature beyond something so niche (replaying a campaign in a different way).  But I wish I knew about it when I was playing so I could go back to a turn 2 turns ago, but the game only had 1 autosave slot so I couldn't roll back my save.

I'd rather have 5-10 autosave slots at a small filesize than this infinite timeline feature at up to GIGS per campaign.. like in practically all other TBS games I've played.

Edited by DAOWAce, 26 August 2018 - 03:48 AM.

WhatIsSol #23 Posted 29 August 2018 - 01:35 PM

Commander

• Players

The timeline feature can be disabled - when you start a game, just select "show advanced settings" scroll down to timeline and set to disabled.  You can also adjust it so it only saves every 5 or 10 turns instead of the default every turn.

Just an FYI: The game does not rewrite that file every turn.  It opens it, seeks to the end, and just appends the new game turn data.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users