These Amazing MoO Moments - brought to you by:

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

OrionSol #1 Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:28 PM

Captain

• Players

These Amazing MoO Moments - brought to you by: YOU! 

What are your most amazing fun moments from MoO? 

One game I remember in particular was playing against my roommate. 

He chose a repulsive and creative race while I went charismatic democracy.  Large galaxy, impossible with 8 races total.  

I rallied all the AI races against him, so he was constantly at war with basically all the AI and me. 

It is a bad idea to fight on 2 fronts, let alone 7

Needless to say, it didn't end well for him - even though his tech was awesome...

What were some of your best MoO moments?

Jedi Master Or-ion Sol

Founder of THE JEDI ORDER | Community of Guilds 

www.jediswtor.com 

Omega_Weapon #2 Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:31 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
Its been so long since I actually played MOO 2 that its hard to remember. The best game that comes to mind was one where my friend picked a race that was devoted to super tech research, while I picked a race that was all about extra combat ability (ships were difficult to hit and regeneration ability to repair damage). We were using a mod program that allowed you to better customize the races and home worlds. Anyways his race choice seemed to pay off because his highly advanced ships wiped out most of the other races and captured Orion. We agreed to meet at a neutral system and let our fleets fight it out. To his shock his ships missed 95% of the time and the damage they did inflict on my ships was quickly repaired. He had about 50 ships to my 30 and as this amazing battle played out I whittled him down to 30 ships while I still had 28. At that point he threw in the towel and victory was mine.

Admiral_Loknar #3 Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:33 AM

Commander

• Players
It's MOO1, huge galaxy, medium or hard difficulty (can't recall exactly), 5 opponents. I was playing humans, in one of my first ventures with them. Enemies were: Bulrathi, Silicoids, Ksilon, Clackon and..... not sure, but i think it was Meklars. I was in the lower right, Silicoids were upper left, Psilons were lower middle, Bulrathi were center, Klackon were lower left and Meklars were upper right. We all got approximately a dozen or so collonies until the early mid game, when the council started to convene. Bulrathi and Silicoids were nominated. No one was voted, but this sparkled the Bulrathi in a vote (world) hunting frenzy.

First, they turned on the Psilons which were the weakest, partially because of my war with them. Then they turned on the Meklar and me. I was more advanced in tech, and my fleets were able to repel their first attacks. However the Bulrathi kept sending their transports and enough of them got through, so i started slowly losing worlds. Even worse, they started getting tech from me, first engines and then anti-matter torpedoes. Soon their fleets were both larger and their ships as good as mine. By the time i was contained to only 8-9 systems and their fleets within a striking distance of Sol, the Bulrathi had already half the galaxy in their grasp. If i wasn't obliterated in the next 20 or so turns, we would all lose just by Bulrathi voting themselves into the council. 

So, i went into a full diplomatic initiative and started feeding credits and tech to everyone on the map. Soon, there was an anti-Bulrathi coalition abound. Boosted by human credits and tech, the Orion races pushed back the Bulrathi back to the core systems. As the tide of the war turned, it was the Humans that got the upper hand and annexed most of the Bulrathi territory (roughly 30%). Because of this and because everyone else voted for the Humans, in the next election we won by a huge margin. 

This was a win, but i wanted to see how far i can take this game. I reloaded and abstained on every election. The mid game ended with complete Bulrathi annihilation and forming of 2 major galactic alliances. Silicoid led one and Human led one. But it was the Human effort and progress that drove the rise of other races, so once our support waned, the others found themselves lagging behind in both tech and ship building. In the end, we won by both senate vote (by our own votes) and conquest. This was the game that made me realize how powerful and interesting can be to play with a race that had less "material" advantages.   

GeisterKatze #4 Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:43 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

My most memorable MoO moment:

In 1994, I had cobbled together an Intel x486DX4/math CoPro system with a decent VESA video card, sound card, and a "state of the art" VESA RAID-controller for the Hard Drives and Bernoulli Drive.  Anyways, I had PC DOS 6.1 loaded with a shiny new copy of OS/2 Warp on top of that.  It took me weeks, but I was finally able to make MoO run in the OS/2 environment!  A few years later I tried getting it to run on an Amiga 1000, but was never able to.  

I still have that machine...I should dust it off, power it up, and see what works...

Edited by Rubezahl, 29 June 2015 - 06:44 PM.

GeisterKatze #5 Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:14 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
As for my old 486DX4, when I plugged the case in and powered it up I thought Vesuvius had blown!  Man there was a LOTTA dust inside!  I'm taking it "to parade rest" and cleaning everything, but I hope to have news in a few days.

OrionSol #6 Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:01 AM

Captain

• Players
Ahh the ol x486... what a beast of a machine that was!

Jedi Master Or-ion Sol

Founder of THE JEDI ORDER | Community of Guilds 

www.jediswtor.com 

MOO2MOD #7 Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:48 AM

Captain

• Players

Just had an amazing MOO2 moment, winning a game in an ultimate low of 6 turns.

(proof of concept game, playing a new race from an existing T2 save)

JeanBaptisteEmanuelZorg #8 Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:00 PM

Captain

• Players
It's unbelievably cool (such a pity you didn't destroy guardian on the way) !!!

Edited by JeanBaptisteEmanuelZorg, 07 October 2015 - 08:01 PM.

"Nice pictures, nice UI, balance and a good AI" © "This is no mine, it's a tomb!"

Poll from Zorg : Combat is the Core for MOO Universe 4x Strategy

Poll from Zorg : No LOOT in MOO/CtS

MOO2MOD #9 Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:19 PM

Captain

• Players

Block Quote

(such a pity you didn't destroy guardian on the way)

hehe ..

(Elerian Empress would do some funky Mind Control on the Guardian on the way)

curlybenno #10 Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:31 AM

Ensign

• Players

Those were some good ideas

M002mod #11 Posted 22 November 2015 - 11:25 PM

Commander

• Players

This must be my all-time amazing moment:

An ultimate game in a small galaxy / impossible / 8 players, that was made possible by an incredible early Artifacts find, the OP 'Telepathic' ability and a very aggresive strategy, sacrifing much of my Homeworld.
Conquering all 7 opponents in 16t; featuring Mind Control (ofc), a bombing, an invasion and scouting of all 20 systems in the map.
Had to practice couple of times to get the intended result, but here it stands- my fastest game ever is at the same time a proof that moo2's balance is favouring offense a tad too much.
Send me a pm if you want to play this map too.
Big tx to Darza for sharing the save!

Edited by M002mod, 10 December 2015 - 11:11 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users