Bug - Orion Guardian vs missiles

orion guardian missiles bug

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Duke_Skymocker #1 Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:15 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

I think there's a programming issue with the Orion Guardian.  I've run into the same issue in more than one game.  In my last game I sent a fleet of titans equipped with ~150 missile launchers each (the last ones you research, I think they're called Pulson - the description says they bypass shields)  and the Guardian shrugs them off 90% of the time.  In that game I chose tactical combat (the combat odds indicator was 90% or more green in my favor) and the Guardian proceeded to destroy all my titans and took 0 damage.  It looked as though the missiles were disappearing about half the length of the guardian away before impact.  So I reloaded and chose the option to auto-calculate the results and was able to destroy it and lost one of my titans.

In my game today the same thing happened, and this time I had sent more titans than I had in the previous game.  Again I reloaded and chose to auto-calculate the results, but this time the outcome was the same - I lost my entire fleet.  I ended up withdrawing my fleet and equipping them all with beam weapons at a cost of 150-200k credits, and this time they destroyed the Guardian effortlessly and took no losses.  If the Guardian is supposed to be immune to missiles so be it, but this acts like a bug so I'm reporting it.

Soylent_Greene #2 Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:08 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
My experience was different than what you report.
I was just playing a game last night 7AIs, Very Hard setting, Pre-Warp
When I found the Orion on Turn 274 I had a fleet of 140 Frigates, most of these evolving from the original design (5 Nuke Missiles, 6 PD Lasers). These had evolved to the Pulsons and Mass Driver PD.
I had a pair of Cruisers that seemed to draw the Guardians fire (both were destroyed) as well as 140 Frigates (20 were destroyed). But that was 700 missiles in the first volley & about 60% of the Shield went away. The next volley started blowing away hull and by the forth volley it was dead.

It seems the Guardian cannot manage a swarm of smaller ships, as it cannot kill them fast enough. But, I have seen it blot out a maxed out Titan in one volley.
Building that Titan usually takes like 34-40 turns but I can build the 5x Frigates in 4 turns. So that 35-40 Frigates can cover far more ground (protecting civilian ships from pirates) and guarding warp points vs scouts than that Titan. Also I can replace those Frigates much faster than the Titan.
Wasn't it Stalin that said "Quantity is a Quality all of it's own"???

fourteenfour #3 Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:31 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
Guardian suffers from the same problem any ships with many guns does. it fires them all and if the target dies they all go through cool down together. need a dauntless but for beams or cannons
Wargaming Labs, taking the money and running. Abandons MOO CTS after their contract development staff could not deliver without ever one word to players.

Stelar_7 #4 Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:28 PM

Captain

• Players
Lightening Shield?

Soylent_Greene #5 Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:17 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

I have installed the Lightning Shield and Wide Area Jammer on my titans. Having multiples in a fleet do not seem to have a compounded effect.

I still end up with about 10% of the missiles fired at my Titans impacting.

Wasn't there an option in MOO2 for missiles to home on engines?

voidstalker_woe #6 Posted 13 June 2016 - 12:48 AM

Captain

• Players

View Postmmathat, on 09 June 2016 - 12:17 PM, said:

Wasn't there an option in MOO2 for missiles to home on engines?

Yes, the Emissions Guideance modification.

Further more, I believe that we must start building a better MoO5 now, for only by doing so can we get tomorrow's game, today!

madhatterninja #7 Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:55 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
My experience was nothing like either of yours. I took two Titans and moped the floor with it. Albeit final tech in game was done for a while, so it wasn't that hard. My missiles seemed to be destroyed by PD weapons he was carrying but the 12+ Plasma Torpedoes I was hauling as well seemed to just eat away at him, while my PD weapons kept his missiles from raining unholy fire on my Titans, and my beam/cannons worked him over once his shields were done. This was only Hard and not Very Hard, as I am just doing tests of systems and functions and custom race builds. Though on hard, he should have been a little tougher then two Titans being able to kill him.

PurdueGuy #8 Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:16 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
It's been widely discussed on the steam forum that missiles have been nerfed in EA4 -- PD on ships can EASILY knock them out unless you utterly overwhelm the PD weapons, like the 700 missiles scenario above.. Torpedo's can't be stopped by PD weapons, so I find them extremely effective. They are much more powerful/useful then they were in MOO2 (where I rarely used them and stuck with missiles).

Also tagged with orion, guardian, missiles, bug

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users