Want to play MoO1 or MoO2 on your modern machine?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Nastavnik #21 Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:14 PM

Ensign

• Players
I got it! I simply click and dragged arun.exe over the dosbox icon and it worked! Very small screen and no sound though. Any hints?

M002mod #22 Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:42 PM

Commander

• Players

Am running MOO2 on WIn8.1 just fine with sound etc...

Can check tomorrow for you to install from cd on a Win7 machine, that I will need to set-up, as I have forgotten the specific issues with installing it.

If anyone is quicker with a step-by-step, also fine :)

Nastavnik #23 Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:15 AM

Ensign

• Players

Thanks but I'm in much better shape now! The click and drag method onto dosbox is working great. I even figured out how to full screen! My only remaining issue is sound.

Edit: Well I take that back. After playing a game for a while and then exiting, it wasn't as simple as clicking and dragging the exe file back onto dosbox to restart. Couldn't load game because some files could not be found. Going to try dbgl next...

edit again: Got it to work again! Was click/dragging the wrong exe file. Also got sound to work by click/dragging the sound setup exe file onto dosbox and doing some configuring.

TLDR: I'm fully up and running!

plasmacannontime #24 Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:18 AM

Commander

• Players
Instead of going through all of this for our old copies of the originals.
If someone buys the Preorder for MOO4, it comes with MOO1, MOO2, MOO3.
Will those all work on Windows 10 64bit, with their bugs fixed and without having to use DosBox, Hamachi or search for fixes?
I remember things like the Stealth Field not working, graphics turning pink and the mouse freezing up the game.
Obviously TEN isn't there anymore, so I don't expect that to work.
My Dos and windows copies have disappeared over the years. I've had at least 4 purchased cds.
I just desire good a working cd for my modern computer of these classic games to install simply and play.

MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, MOO4 trending downward, getting older waiting for a MOO5 (a modern version of mostly MOO2).

Arclan #25 Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:04 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
I use doxbox for MOO2 as well (on windows 7 64-bit), and it's great.  Even the LAN multiplayer; I have played it against my friend a few times and almost never have a crash.   I own the original CD and booklet as well; but never use them. 

Edited by Arclan, 25 January 2016 - 11:04 PM.

MrThorp #26 Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:23 PM

Ensign

• Players

View PostJamieK81, on 26 September 2015 - 02:57 PM, said:

I know this is an old thread, just letting you know, that windows 10 allows Master of Orion 2 windows version to work flawlessly.....once you install the mousefix to stop the mouse from flickering and freezing when you need to name something....i don't get any problems with running it on a 64-Bit OS, which is awesome.

Also, when it comes to the Homeworld Remastered Collection, while the games in general are good and fun to play....when i play against friends, the AI however blatantly cheats, i know all AI cheat in some way to be challenging, but this game totally breaks majority of the rules that we are forced to follow, like ship limits, they can have more then 5 of a ship type even though we are limited to 2-3.

They even spawn a fleet that perfectly counters our fleet at the start of a mission, even if it exceeds the ship limits and they still build more....while i respect any AI that can be challenging without cheating too much, but when it cheats so blatantly, its just the developers being too freaking lazy to do any decent AI, i mean i can live with the AI having a production speed boost, but they should be limited to the same rules and they shouldn't spawn a fleet that 100% counters our own, its just totally stupid.

how?? i have an old copy and i can not get it to install. Are you running 32 or 64 bit version of win10?

Arclan #27 Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:42 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
MrThorp, I'll try to remember to copy my dosbox.conf settings when I get home, and show them here.

plasmacannontime #28 Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:36 PM

Commander

• Players

I bought the $5.99 MOO1&MOO2 combo from gog and it does work on windows 10 64bit.

I installed gog galaxy and it installed the game, icons and does all of the DosBox steps needed to play with a click of the MOO2 icon.

I played my first MOO2 multiplayer in years via IP address using gog galaxy and it worked great.

It comes patched up to ver. 1.40b23 so I didn't even have to go looking for it.

Not to sound like an ad, but I would recommend it if you are like me and no longer have your original cd anymore.

MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, MOO4 trending downward, getting older waiting for a MOO5 (a modern version of mostly MOO2).

JamieK81 #29 Posted 28 February 2016 - 06:55 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostSIEGE109, on 28 November 2015 - 09:24 PM, said:

Try downloading MoO2 from an abandonware site.  The folder should contain ORION95.exe, the windows version that no longer works, and ORION2.exe, which should run on DOSBOX.  The title screen will be a bit glitchy and there will be no music, but the game itself is intact.

Actually, MoO2 works almost flawlessly using Orion95.exe on Windows 10 64-Bit....you just need a mousefix to fix the mouse pointer issues.

Lsathranil #30 Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:08 PM

Ensign

• Players
If you buy MoO2 on GOG, it includes preconfigured DOSBOX which works much better than Orion95.exe. I tweaked it a little bit to run in 128x960 window and I also set the cycles=80000 to fix the hyperfast scrolling in tactical combat. Let me know if you would like me to share my dosbox_v140.conf/dosboxMOO2.conf file

Edited by Lsathranil, 07 March 2016 - 05:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users