Master of Orion Version 45.6 Patch Notes

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

GeneralDirection #1 Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:52 PM

WG Staff

• Administrator

Greetings Explorers, 

After reading your feedback and careful consideration we are making additional adjustments to population growth. 

Here is a high level overview of the changes in today's update: 

• We've slightly increased food requirements for population growth in general and we doubled them when the colony is about to become full (to compensate for all the food/pop. growth structures on a mature colony) 
  • We've balanced the production cost for the tier one structures to make the choice between them more balanced and meaningful 
  • We added the Colony Base (+1 Food only) as a tech application on the second tier (Deep Space Exploration) 
  • We slightly improved food output for Class A and Class B planets

Please take a look at the patch notes below for full details. 

Master of Orion - Patch Notes 45.6

Balance 

• +1 Food added to Colony Base 
  • Colony Base is now a 2nd tier tech 
  • Colony Ship now carries 2 Food units by default (Starting Food Suply set to 2) 
  • Fungal Farms moved to Biotechnology 
  • Population Growth min and max values re-balanced 
  • Automated Factory, Hydroponic Farm, Research Lab and Biospheres production cost modified 
  • Food multiplier factor increased for Ocean, Terran, Gaia and Uber biomes 
  • Implemented asymmetric colony growth formula 
  • Tweak for population growth values 
  • Terran racial biases modified (AI-related change)

Bugfixes 

• Refresh food output calculation on new colonies after their starting structures have been deployed 
  • [CombatScreen] Victory Chances now uses the same (new) formula for both Defending and Attacking (before it was using the old formula if you were the defender)

Previous 45.x patch notes:

Version 45.4

Version 45.3

Vahouth #2 Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:01 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

I noticed that the Silicoids now start at 42 turns for next pop instead of 31. Is this because their home planet is nearly maxed?

Also, what's the point of having food related techs in the tree of a Lithovore race? Are we to assume that they won't be there for long?

BTW I also noticed that the Meklar now start at 14 turns for next pop, that can go up to 5! I think that maybe a -25% in population growth (at least) as a trait would be appropriate. Either that or let us build their pop, instead of growing them by using food. ;)

Edited by Vahouth, 01 July 2016 - 07:02 PM.

GeneralDirection #3 Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:10 PM

WG Staff

• Administrator

View PostVahouth, on 01 July 2016 - 11:01 AM, said:

I noticed that the Silicoids now start at 42 turns for next pop instead of 31. Is this because their home planet is nearly maxed?

Also, what's the point of having food related techs in the tree of a Lithovore race? Are we to assume that they won't be there for long?

BTW I also noticed that the Meklar now start at 14 turns for next pop, that can go up to 5! I think that maybe a -25% in population growth (at least) as a trait would be appropriate. Either that or let us build their pop, instead of growing them by using food. ;)

Population assimilation is the reason for food buildings being in the tree for Lithovore races. Those Psilon researchers are no Matt Damon, after all.

Omega_Weapon #4 Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:12 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
These adjustments sound about right. Just what the doctor ordered.

KingJohnVI #5 Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:40 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

Playing Lithovore custom race for the first game in, doesn't seem like population growth was tweaked much.  Haven't tried food producing races yet.  A large swamp Abundant world is taking over 60 turns to grow, and because there is no way to speed up growth in my capital, I am stuck at a maximum of 6 population for more than 30 turns no matter what I do, even with a Rich Terran Homeworld, so I can't very well de-populate that too much.  Is there any way for a Lithovore races to grow faster?  Other races can focus on food, but obviously Lithovore cannot.  I feel effectively restricted to 2 colonies for the first 60 or so turns.

Edit:  I noticed the same thing as Valhouth above, the Meklar start at 14 turns for next pop and grow in as little as 5 turns.  Cybernetic is VASTLY superior to Lithovore.  I still find this very counter-intuitive.  At this point Lithovore almost seems like a negative trait for growth and expansion purposes.  At the very least the cost of the trait should be cut in half.

Edited by KingJohnVI, 02 July 2016 - 03:51 AM.

Prrsha #6 Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:25 AM

Commander

• Players

Any word on if any racial changes will happen this patch (coughs, Mrrshan, beam offense)?

http://forum.masteroforion.com/index.php?/topic/1715-what-to-do-with-the-mrrshan/

Prrsha #7 Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:34 AM

Commander

• Players
I loved how you swaped hydroponic farms with the colony base and moved the farms into the death spores category.  Kudos.  Any chance that the "Colony Base" technology can be used to colonize a planet in the same system without the need of a colony ship like in Master of Orion 2 (for a massively reduced cost)?

sjwt #8 Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:11 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
Thanks, hopefully it's not a 3 day wait agine on GOG

KingJohnVI #9 Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:13 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View Postsjwt, on 02 July 2016 - 05:11 AM, said:

Thanks, hopefully it's not a 3 day wait agine on GOG

GOG Galaxy Updated today.

fourteenfour #10 Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:56 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

So why were the costs of these starting techs jacked up? 480 for farms? Really? Automated factories went up, didn't check biospheres.

One step forward three back with a trip and fall to boot

Wargaming Labs, taking the money and running. Abandons MOO CTS after their contract development staff could not deliver without ever one word to players.

Prrsha #11 Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:22 PM

Commander

• Players
There was a new update today but still nothing regarding the Mrrshan and their beam offense.

GeneralDirection #12 Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:48 PM

WG Staff

• Administrator

View PostPrrsha, on 05 July 2016 - 09:22 AM, said:

There was a new update today but still nothing regarding the Mrrshan and their beam offense.

A change that significant wouldn't be doable in a week, if it were planned. I can't say for sure right now because the team has a design vision for each of the races as they fit into this game.

drewklar #13 Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:04 AM

Commander

• Players

Prrsha, not to worry, as WG's Creative Team has got you covered on the Mrrshan:  turns out they are in league with the Pirates!!!

Related story link:

http://steamcommunit...16640405823754/

You would think if the Mrrshan were in league with the Pirates in-game, then the Mrrshan would have some random chance of the Pirates not attacking them, or never attacking them at all.

Why write about a link between Pirates and the Mrrshan if there is no connection between them in the gameplay?  Does that make any sense?

Laegad #14 Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:14 AM

Commander

• Players

View PostGeneralDirection, on 05 July 2016 - 05:48 PM, said:

... the team has a design vision for each of the races as they fit into this game.

Could you explain the vision for each races in a thread ?

- The background vision (that mean the gameplay for this race), and

- The capabilities you want to put to each races (Without the details.. just put something like that : "this race should growth faster", "this race should produce faster"...)

Because for some races, there is a vision, a description (background), but what is it in game sometime differt (i've in mind the Mrrshan)

And sometime, the vision is the same, but i disagree about details for "how the vision is in the game" (example : artifact for spilon, i disagree, but i don't disagree the vision for this race)

So, we could post some responses:

- If we are agree with the vision, or if we thinks that is the vision that should be adjusted, or:

- If this is only the implementation of the vision in the game that should be modified ?

I posted some idea/suggestions about some race, but i don't know if it usefull because if i don't match your vision, i bet that these idea/suggestion should not be taked into account...

Also, responses from the dev team about idea/suggestion posted in forums should be usefull for us. Resposes could be:

- This will be implemented

- Good idea we will see

- Later, perhaps

- We don't know yet

- No because this not match the vision

- No-Yes because this is reserved for a future DLC (antarians ? gnolam ? (i can understand this !)) - In this case we know it is useless to speak about this in forums.

- No because these capabilities does not match the code and means too work (i can understand this !) - for example i think about one of my post about cybernetic-Lithovore http://forum.masteroforion.com/index.php?/topic/1677-race-balance-feedback-ea-5/page__st__20__pid__21096#entry21096 : Perhaps you simply cannot make this code ? i don't know how your code is resilient form modifications, if you can touch deep mecanism or simply games parameters)

Prrsha #15 Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:16 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostGeneralDirection, on 05 July 2016 - 12:48 PM, said:

A change that significant wouldn't be doable in a week, if it were planned. I can't say for sure right now because the team has a design vision for each of the races as they fit into this game.

Thank you for finally addressing the topic.  :3  At least it is a quasi-answer instead of none and I thank you for this.

I assume that the "design vision" goes way back to the top developers and lore design for them.  However on your home page, it lists the following if you click on races and click on the Mrrshan:

http://masteroforion.com/docs/races/mrrshan

The Mrrshan are elegant, rebellious, and independent creatures. They are a highly decorated race with beautiful art, architecture, and flawless personal style. Designs from Mrrshan culture often catch a high price in any market, as their products are exquisitely made and luxurious in nature. Fieras, the home world of the Mrrshan, is an arid planet with spacious plains. The Mrrshan, while the most intelligent of life on Fieras, are not alone on their planet. They are surrounded by many vicious beasts and creatures, keeping the Mrrshan vigilant against attacks. These natural predators are thought to be one reason why the Mrrshan became such excellent soldiers later in their evolution. While they are a feudal government, nothing about their laws or policies are oppressive. The Mrrshan as a whole value freedom from religious, creative, political, and personal oppression. They believe in living as they please, loving whoever they want, and above all being fearless in battle. The Royal Family rules over the feudal government, with an Empress ruling over all. The Empress leads the Mrrshan into battle during times of war and manages her Royal court in times of peace. The Mrrshan royalty are looked upon as the source of strength for their battalions in times of war. The Mrrshan see the skies as a great adventure. They see beauty in the stars and majesty in the phenomena of the galaxies. They fight for freedom and the right to explore any corner of space they desire. The Mrrshan are too adventurous to be kept in the confines of their home galaxy when there are thousands of lands they have not seen. The Mrrshan are some of the deadliest gunners in the universe and they will use those gifts against any who try to block their path.

I highlighted the part that is written on the bottom about their gunnery skills.  Like I said in previous posts, those are the developer's comments, not mine, so I am perplexed on why there is a duality on this subject.  On one hand it implies that they should have some form of gunnery bonus (beam offense bonus) on the other hand in game, they do not and the developers focus on ground combat.  I often wonder if this change of thought happened AFTER the web page was written and the Khan stats were finalized?  It seems like the Khan are what the Mrrshan should be like and I really hope they were not designed that way to grab early subscriptions with their warlike stats.  If you poll just about any gamer new to this sort of genre they'd choose a combat based race due to their familiarity with other games being so combat heavy.

I think in designing the Khan, you dealt a deathblow to the Mrrshan in what they were always masters at.  If this is about sales and long term profit, remember the 2nd most popular race (polled in many forums) has been the Mrrshan.  Aside... an interesting fact, Psilons are the most popular almost 2 to 1 against the 2nd most favorite, Mrrshan.  Also Mrrshan seem to chart at #1 overseas mostly in the EU crowd like in places like Germany.

The core and soul to MOO are its races.  It's what keeps the game afloat against other 4x space strategy games.  It's the familiarity of the races and the franchise.  If you start messing around with the chemistry of the races at heart, you start to whittle away at the franchise.  Please be mindful of that.  A huge mistake was made in MOO3 with this mess and you know how that went.

A personal aside, if it were up to me and I personally bought this game (or was thinking of it) I would not buy it if any of the races (Mrrshan or not) were not true to their inception.  It would be a deal breaker for me and many readers I am sure.

RuNeZz #16 Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:07 PM

Commander

• Players

Seems like i'm witnessing the murder of the MrrShans...

And no... Terrans will not be good for sales for they are unOriginal story wise and they are just other humans and give to much importance to the human race.

But don't worry i'll still play the game using the MrrShan skin for race building, since they seem to always die within the 50 first turns,

I do not know why i post this but maybe i'm afraid this game is losing its way.

I mean changes are good, but I sincerely will never play Terrans because i feel they don't really have a place as a war race and the ships are all but just the same as Humans.

But hey if the story tellers think its a good thing stick with the idea, but I find it somehow breaks the game.

Edited by RuNeZz, 07 July 2016 - 02:16 PM.

RuNeZz #17 Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:09 PM

Commander

• Players

RuNeZz:

I hope the great Grand Vision of the MrrShan will make them survive longer in a game.

And thats all i'm going to say about this topic

Edited by RuNeZz, 07 July 2016 - 02:15 PM.

Prrsha #18 Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:01 PM

Commander

• Players
I hope at the very least there will be an option to edit the AI so you can give your computer opponents the traits you feel fit in a match.  Then maybe you can have the option to create traits for Mrrshans and other races that were more in line to their counterparts in other MOOs.  Just being able to customize your player race shouldn't be enough, it should include the AI as well IMHO.

Vahouth #19 Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:13 AM

Vice Admiral

• Players

View PostGeneralDirection, on 05 July 2016 - 07:48 PM, said:

Just reword the Warlord trait as +50% Beam Attack, +20% Command points.

Done. :)

Mikko_M #20 Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:49 PM

Rear Admiral

• Banned

View PostGeneralDirection, on 05 July 2016 - 05:48 PM, said:

​Well so far that vision has been really weak, since dedicated forum users like Vahouth have already managed to release a vision that wipes to floor with the developers visions seen so far in the game.

Pro tip to take to the developers: Vahouth actually gave the races interesting and unique personalities (with different strengths and weaknesses), like they had in classic MOOs ;)

Edited by Mikko_M, 09 July 2016 - 02:56 PM.

Moreover, I advise that the tactical combat must be made more player controllable and informative for this to become a proper MOO game.

​The long lost formula for space 4X game success = Good tactical combat + good empire management > than just good tactical combat or good empire management alone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users