Please allow Terraforming Volcanic planets

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

CecilPaladin #1 Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:35 PM

Commander

• Players

The ability to terraform Volcanic planets NEEDS to be added to the game.  At the moment, it's a royal pain in the butt to convert these planets into Terran or Gaia planets.  You can still do it, but its a multi-step process.  Just add the ability into the game so we don't need to use the roundabout method.  Here's the current way to do it:

1. Cede a colonized volcanic planet to an enemy AI race
  2. Destroy that planet with a stellar converter
  3. Rebuild that planet (asteroid belt) with a Space Factory
  4. Recolonize that planet once the planet construction is completed

Instead of jumping over hoops to fix the planet, please just add the terraforming ability for the volcanic worlds.  Thank you.

Sadr III as a Volcanic planet

Spoiler

SADR III as an Asteroid Belt

Spoiler

SADR III as a Barren Planet

Spoiler

SADR III as a Gaia Planet

Spoiler

We are going to terraform it anyways, just make it easier for us please.  Thanks.

Vahouth #2 Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:47 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players
I'd also like a planet to degrade to Volcanic as well.

sjwt #3 Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:10 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
Voting for this.. have request it before :) 

Haihane #4 Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:57 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
Let's be real. If we can clean a toxic planet's atmosphere, turn a gas giant into a planet, and turn a planet into an asteroid belt... Chances are we can stabilize a planet's crust. Maybe put it in with Core Waste Dump et al.

AHSOG #5 Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:24 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

To do along with the Stellar Converter, I'd like a peaceful application of that technology, where you could use it on uncolonized, or player-owned worlds without having to give it to an opponent and incur the diplomatic penalty with blowing up a planet.  Uncolonized worlds would be simple enough, but if you already owned the planet, maybe add a Planetary Evacuation tech (useful itself in other situations, too) where you can do a mass exodus of the population off the planet, destroy it, rebuild it, and then resettle?

I agree that a Tectonic Stabilizer tech with Core Dump/Deep Core Mining would be an another, easier solution, as well.

AHSOG #6 Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:25 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
A Tectonic Stabilizer could also be used to avoid the Earthquake random event as well.

CecilPaladin #7 Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:53 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostAHSOG, on 04 July 2016 - 01:24 PM, said:

To do along with the Stellar Converter, I'd like a peaceful application of that technology, where you could use it on uncolonized, or player-owned worlds without having to give it to an opponent and incur the diplomatic penalty with blowing up a planet.  Uncolonized worlds would be simple enough, but if you already owned the planet, maybe add a Planetary Evacuation tech (useful itself in other situations, too) where you can do a mass exodus of the population off the planet, destroy it, rebuild it, and then resettle?

The Stellar Converter, Rebuild, and Recolonize route produces better quality planets ironically.  You take a tiny planet of whatever type, and when you rebuild it generally it turns to a larger barren world.  It's silly and doesn't make sense, and costs more to do it this way but you can get better quality planets in the long run.  It also keeps its Mineral type, like Rich or Ultra Rich when you blow it up and rebuild it.

I was testing only settling on a handful of systems so I wanted to get the most bang for the buck for my planets.  Thus this whole thing spawned trying to convert the Volcanic planets into something useful.

Arent11 #8 Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:53 AM

Commander

• Players

View PostCecilPaladin, on 03 July 2016 - 07:35 PM, said:

The ability to terraform Volcanic planets NEEDS to be added to the game.  At the moment, it's a royal pain in the butt to convert these planets into Terran or Gaia planets.  You can still do it, but its a multi-step process.  Just add the ability into the game so we don't need to use the roundabout method.  Here's the current way to do it:

1. Cede a colonized volcanic planet to an enemy AI race
  2. Destroy that planet with a stellar converter
  3. Rebuild that planet (asteroid belt) with a Space Factory

That's... a really interesting way to "terraform" a planet. I mean, it even makes sense :)

sjwt #9 Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:28 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostArent11, on 05 July 2016 - 07:53 AM, said:

That's... a really interesting way to "terraform" a planet. I mean, it even makes sense :)

Used to do that in MOO2 IIRC

Soylent_Greene #10 Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:49 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostArent11, on 04 July 2016 - 11:53 PM, said:

I use this method to improve small, medium, poor or very poor planets. I give them to an AI player who I have since reduced to a single planet, they've got maybe 6-8 pop system wide. So then I give them the planets I want to improve, wait for the ceasefire to end, zap the planets. I then make sure to have sufficient factory ships in systems and eight turns later, the worst I have large planets. I have never seen one built by a factory ship that was less than abundant. But also it seems very rare that it ends up rich or better either.

In any case during the next eight turns I pump out fleets of colony ships followed by citizen transports.

We still need a way to auto-transfer production. In MOO 1 & 2 you could auto-direct fleets... You also had the option of repeating builds. Both would make this form of terra-forming easier.

On another note as mentioned in another thread... I agree with perhaps an orthogonal tech research line that neutralizes the earthquake and allow conversion of  volcanic planets.

Much the same as I was suggesting improved tech paths to improve the factory ship, unlocking various abilities.

Argordon #11 Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:16 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

Yes,... as much fun as it is to kidnap a few Silicoids and place them on my Volcanic worlds before I blow it up with Stellar converters ,... it DOES seem reasonable that if we can terraform a toxic world or press a gas giant into a planet... then we can terraform a volcanic surface too.

PERHAPS to make the game a little more edgy ... make those unstable volcanic planets terraformable by the Space Factory - just like the Gas Giants... and turn them into a Barren planet. At least that way, it falls into the same rationale as terraforming the gas giant or asteroid fields (as much as that is rational... ).

Laegad #12 Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:21 PM

Commander

• Players

Terraforming volcanic ?

Why not.. for the game.

But have in mind that terraforming planet is a biological operation.

Upgrade a barren world => You add some basics species, like lichens or some insects.

Upgrade a desert => You add some grass, some tree...

A biome downgrade due to pollution is also a modification of the biology of the planet.

Terraforming up or down is a biological modification.

On the other side, terraforming a volcanic planet is a "geological" operation.

This is not a terraforming like the other in the game.

So, in the tech tree this should not be the same tech.

Technology for this volcanic modification is close to technologies to build planet from asteroid.

If you want to add this, i suggest to put this "volcanic terraforming" here in the tech tree.

Also and IMO, I thinks that "volcanic terraforming" for the Silicoid should be moved in the tech tree.

Their terraforming to infernal planet is described as "explosions well placed"... This is not a "terraforming" operation like the others are.

And IMO, because it is a "geological" operation, you don't change the biome, you simply destroy it.

So => Player should be able to terraform any biome to a volcanic one, at the same cost whatever the biome is.

... Silicoid will be happy ... balance problems incoming IMO... :D

Terraforming a volcanic to... barren ? (this is what the owner of this post want i suppose ?) should also be a geological operation => Put this in the tech tree with planet construction technologies.

Have in mind that "cooling" a volcanic planet require powerfull technologies... but in a game where you can build planets... Why not...

IMO it is not be only a problem of technology: It is physically impossible to stop a volcanic activity (how and where do you move the energy of the planet core ?)...

But in a game where you can prevent supernova to explode... why not :D

Edited by Laegad, 18 July 2016 - 08:42 PM.

CecilPaladin #13 Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:41 PM

Commander

• Players

If Spock can do it with a tiny briefcase, I'm sure MOO can do it without much issues.

Edited by CecilPaladin, 18 July 2016 - 08:42 PM.

Stelar_7 #14 Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:31 PM

Captain

• Players
I would prefer to be able to stellar converter planets that are not occupied. Blow the planet, then build a better one I say.

Prrsha #15 Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:11 AM

Commander

• Players

It would be funny if acts of terraforming decreases relations with Silicoids and raises them with Sakkra and Bulrathi... but on a serious note, I agree that stellar converters should be able to be able to destroy an unoccupied planet.  Also why not use Deep Core Mining to terraform a planet?  You are taking the mantle out of the inside of the planet, shouldn't that have some effect?

Even easier, just allow a space factory to alter a non occupied volcanic planet to barren with the proper tech and call it a day.  As for occupied planets use the above tech?

GeneralDirection #16 Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:58 PM

WG Staff

• Administrator

View PostPrrsha, on 19 July 2016 - 09:11 PM, said:

It would be funny if acts of terraforming decreases relations with Silicoids and raises them with Sakkra and Bulrathi... but on a serious note, I agree that stellar converters should be able to be able to destroy an unoccupied planet.  Also why not use Deep Core Mining to terraform a planet?  You are taking the mantle out of the inside of the planet, shouldn't that have some effect?

Even easier, just allow a space factory to alter a non occupied volcanic planet to barren with the proper tech and call it a day.  As for occupied planets use the above tech?

With the way the asteroid to planet conversion currently works, this is intentionally not possible. The tech isn't intended as a way to "reroll" a planet's attributes and potentially get a larger planet, which you could if you were allowed to just go around stellar converting any planet you come across. As it functions right now it would be entirely possible to blow up a small planet and get a huge from the resulting planetary construction.

It's an interesting idea, but it would require redesigning multiple mechanics to work a little differently so it's not abusable.

CecilPaladin #17 Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:52 AM

Commander

• Players

View PostGeneralDirection, on 20 July 2016 - 07:58 PM, said:

With the way the asteroid to planet conversion currently works, this is intentionally not possible. The tech isn't intended as a way to "reroll" a planet's attributes and potentially get a larger planet, which you could if you were allowed to just go around stellar converting any planet you come across. As it functions right now it would be entirely possible to blow up a small planet and get a huge from the resulting planetary construction.

It's an interesting idea, but it would require redesigning multiple mechanics to work a little differently so it's not abusable.

Isn't this considered a bug and should be fixed in EA6?  

And if stellar converting your own planets to rebuild them as larger planets might not be fixed, how about terraforming or transforming inferno planets in a normal way?  It'll be hard to code the game so that you can't do the method detailed in the first post.

GeneralDirection #18 Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:16 PM

WG Staff

• Administrator

View PostCecilPaladin, on 20 July 2016 - 05:52 PM, said:

Isn't this considered a bug and should be fixed in EA6?  

And if stellar converting your own planets to rebuild them as larger planets might not be fixed, how about terraforming or transforming inferno planets in a normal way?  It'll be hard to code the game so that you can't do the method detailed in the first post.

It's not a bug, it's designed that way as a chance to get a huge planet from converting.

CecilPaladin #19 Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:48 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostGeneralDirection, on 21 July 2016 - 06:16 PM, said:

It's not a bug, it's designed that way as a chance to get a huge planet from converting.

The laws of conservation of mass says otherwise.  :D

GeneralDirection #20 Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:51 PM

WG Staff

• Administrator

View PostCecilPaladin, on 21 July 2016 - 01:48 PM, said:

The laws of conservation of mass says otherwise.  :D

Who needs laws when you can travel faster than light?! ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users