Governments, should we have them in MOO:CtS?

Government Racail Traits Traits Races Cutstomization

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Governments as Additional Racial Traits? (24 members have cast votes)

Should we include Governments in MOO:CtS?

1. Yes, add Governments (14 votes [58.33%])

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

2. Yes, and allow Government switching (7 votes [29.17%])

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

3. No, Governments are not needed. (3 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

KingJohnVI #1 Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:19 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

In MOO2, each race had a unique advantage in the government type selected.  Later in the game, governments could be advanced to grant additional benefits.

In many other games such as civilization, you could start with a government, and switch governments later to suit your needs.  For example, you might be able to start as a Monarchy, and when it suits your needs, switch to a more research friendly democratic style of government.

In MOO:CtS, at least presently, we have no government whatsoever.

My question is simple.  Would people like to see governments in this game, and if so, would you like to be able to switch later (under certain circumstances), to a new form of government.

talshi #2 Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:56 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostKingJohnVI, on 18 July 2016 - 04:19 PM, said:

My question is simple.  Would people like to see governments in this game, and if so, would you like to be able to switch later (under certain circumstances), to a new form of government.

yes sir, absolutely! an of course to switch it later in the game for an new government style. maybe some unique buildings too :D

Edited by talshi, 18 July 2016 - 05:57 PM.

Laegad #3 Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:07 PM

Commander

• Players

We need government.

It's both a "roleplay" and a gameplay element.

Without switching if you have in mind a switch like in civ.

Because a government is payed as you customise the race.

And, this is not a "political game", and you cannot immagine Klackon with their unification goes to a democratie or something else... this does not match the game "mind".

If by "switching" you have in mind that each government can be upgraded on a "more efficient" one (like in MOO2 if i remember).. ok...

Edited by Laegad, 18 July 2016 - 07:24 PM.

Vahouth #4 Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:08 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players
I want MoO2 governments back.

diehardtwinsfan #5 Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:52 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
strikes me as something that should be painful to switch, and certain governments probably need to not be available to certain racial traits...

Arent11 #6 Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:26 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostKingJohnVI, on 18 July 2016 - 04:19 PM, said:

In MOO2, each race had a unique advantage in the government type selected.  Later in the game, governments could be advanced to grant additional benefits.

In many other games such as civilization, you could start with a government, and switch governments later to suit your needs.  For example, you might be able to start as a Monarchy, and when it suits your needs, switch to a more research friendly democratic style of government.

In MOO:CtS, at least presently, we have no government whatsoever.

I would like to vote for "as a DLC/Expansion". Right now there is too much other stuff to do they should fix first. So I'll abstain.

Omega_Weapon #7 Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:35 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostArent11, on 18 July 2016 - 03:26 PM, said:

I would like to vote for "as a DLC/Expansion". Right now there is too much other stuff to do they should fix first. So I'll abstain.

​Seems like something that would be a no brainer for DLC later on. Rather have it for release, but might be getting late for that now.

Prrsha #8 Posted 19 July 2016 - 01:01 AM

Commander

• Players

View PostOmega_Weapon, on 18 July 2016 - 04:35 PM, said:

​Seems like something that would be a no brainer for DLC later on. Rather have it for release, but might be getting late for that now.

If things are too late now, I am really worried about this game.  They are halfway back from the drawing board now, testing new concepts and most of them don't even work yet.  This is far from a beta product.  It's going to take them way past their proposed release date or this game is just another Moo3 cash and grab... but with no cash (like Moo3 as well).

KingJohnVI #9 Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:01 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostPrrsha, on 19 July 2016 - 01:01 AM, said:

View PostOmega_Weapon, on 18 July 2016 - 09:35 PM, said:

​ Seems like something that would be a no brainer for DLC later on. Rather have it for release, but might be getting late for that now.
If things are too late now, I am really worried about this game.  They are halfway back from the drawing board now, testing new concepts and most of them don't even work yet.  This is far from a beta product.  It's going to take them way past their proposed release date or this game is just another Moo3 cash and grab... but with no cash (like Moo3 as well).

I hope it isn't getting too late to make changes to gameplay.  Afterall, what are we all beta testing for? 

Personally, I am torn between allowing government switching and just implementing the MOO2 style.  I agree that certain government types, such as Unification would be necessarily extremely difficult or impossible to move away from.  On the other hand, other governments, such as Dictatorship, Monarchy or Democracy (and potential new governments) could conceivably be switched between at a substantial cost, and that cost could include several turns with no bonuses from either type while switching, and potentially even a morale penalty while the change is ongoing.  As long as different species still start with different government at the beginning, it might be interesting for an opponent to be able to initialize something like a political upheaval mission, which if successful, could reduce the bonus effects of government or even change your government type between the three to really mess you up for a while.  There is also the potential for story Missions and Random events that could appear for your empire from different governments and from governmental upheaval.  There is a lot of potential for adding a little more character to the game with government switching.

That all being said, I really did like the way it was implemented in MOO2.  It was simple, and it make the species feel very different.  So for me, personally, I would very much like to see governments implemented in the base game.  And, quite frankly, I would not want that to be a new feature in add-on DLC that I have to pay extra for.  After all, I already own MOO2, I'm buying this in the hope for something better.

Spud_Dastardly #10 Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:11 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
I would love to see a return of the MoO2 governments, though I'm not sure about government switching, especially with each government costing a different amount of race picks.  In MoO2 you could upgrade your government to a new one.  I think a good alternative to government switching would be to have two advanced governments available for each government that you could choose between when you get the tech so that you can focus your empire at that point in the direction you want.  Like democracy could choose between federation, granting extra research and money generation (from MoO2), and confederacy giving extra command points and reduced ship costs, for example.

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

Prrsha #11 Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:54 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostKingJohnVI, on 18 July 2016 - 09:01 PM, said:

I hope it isn't getting too late to make changes to gameplay.  Afterall, what are we all beta testing for?

We are Alpha testing.  It is not even Beta yet.  There should be time to do anything.  =>.<=

Omega_Weapon #12 Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:55 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostPrrsha, on 19 July 2016 - 03:54 PM, said:

We are Alpha testing.  It is not even Beta yet.  There should be time to do anything.  =>.<=

​That's the hope. In reality though development funds are limited and at some point the big wigs will say no more money for testing. If our suggestions were taken more seriously I think the development could be moving faster towards perfecting the game. Developers are resisting the push to "change their vision" however, which slows down meaningful progress.

trbeier #13 Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:57 AM

Captain

• Players

I would like to see free government types have the advantage that population can move themselves to less populated colonies on private transports.  Maybe even private corporations setting up mining outposts, or setting up a resort colony, and of course they might even have their own military to defend it.

Also, I would like to have to option to lower taxes on less populated & less desirable planets to attract the colonists to move there.  So a planet with less than 50% of its max population would have a tax discount of 1, tundra / barren planets also have a discount of 1, and volcanic a discount of 2.  So a volcanic planet with less than 50% population would have a total discount of 3 (2 volcanic, and 1 for less than 50% population).

What do you think?

“Impossible is not a word. It's just a reason for someone not to try.”
- Kutless

Archont4000 #14 Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:35 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View Posttrbeier, on 20 July 2016 - 07:57 AM, said:

Also, I would like to have to option to lower taxes on less populated & less desirable planets to attract the colonists to move there.  So a planet with less than 50% of its max population would have a tax discount of 1, tundra / barren planets also have a discount of 1, and volcanic a discount of 2.  So a volcanic planet with less than 50% population would have a total discount of 3 (2 volcanic, and 1 for less than 50% population).

That's a great suggestion! Hope it will make into game at some point.

RuNeZz #15 Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:29 PM

Commander

• Players

I' m not sure having government in Moo/CtS would be an easy feat to accomplish. Nothing else then the Moo2 government would do for me. Moo3 governments complicated things way to much and were quite undetailed. Maybe more government types, but nothing close to changing governments in game. Government types would be best for including unique bonuses, negatives and also helping for Synergy: Giving advantages or defining war, spying, diplomacy, research, money, command power, production, relations and more, races.

But i sincerely think Devs have a lot of work to do with other things. Adding government would be the last and at most thing to be implemented before the DLC's.

Edited by RuNeZz, 21 July 2016 - 04:39 PM.

KingJohnVI #16 Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:47 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostRuNeZz, on 21 July 2016 - 04:29 PM, said:

But i sincerely think Devs have a lot of work to do with other things. Adding government would be the last and at most thing to be implemented before the DLC's.

Well, on this point I have to respectfully disagree.  Certainly the devs have many other things to do right now, no argument there.  But you can't really wait too long to implement governments.  The way in which governments can interact with the rest of the game potentially impacts not only production, research etc, but also possibly diplomacy, espionage, and other elements.  Additionally, certain technologies could be based upon the governments (thinking, for example, Feudal to Imperial or Unification to Galactic Unification).  This means that many balance decisions can't really be completed until after such implementation.  So, in my opinion at least, Governments should be implemented sooner rather than later, or they may not be implemented at all... 

Edited by KingJohnVI, 22 July 2016 - 06:49 PM.

RuNeZz #17 Posted 23 July 2016 - 04:18 AM

Commander

• Players

View PostKingJohnVI, on 22 July 2016 - 06:47 PM, said:

Well, on this point I have to respectfully disagree.  Certainly the devs have many other things to do right now, no argument there.  But you can't really wait too long to implement governments.  The way in which governments can interact with the rest of the game potentially impacts not only production, research etc, but also possibly diplomacy, espionage, and other elements.  Additionally, certain technologies could be based upon the governments (thinking, for example, Feudal to Imperial or Unification to Galactic Unification).  This means that many balance decisions can't really be completed until after such implementation.  So, in my opinion at least, Governments should be implemented sooner rather than later, or they may not be implemented at all... 

Understood, i agree, i'm really just trying to be nice. hehe :)

RuNeZz #18 Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:57 PM

Commander

• Players
Well just because of Poll.

RuNeZz #19 Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:32 PM

Commander

• Players
Hey its in the polls

Archont4000 #20 Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:10 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
RuNeZz, you are certainly aware that 17 votes do not represent MoO:CtS players very well? They just show number of active users on this forum, which is rather low unfortunately

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users