Positive what YOU appreciate the most about Moo/CTS teach me

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

RuNeZz #1 Posted 06 August 2016 - 04:44 AM

Commander

• Players

Yes, me the thread man. Now i've been part of many many threads all along the lines of the constructive ones demanding or suggesting several changes that were and were not all answered, and the scary horrifying ones. Now i am creating this thread to see all of the positive and totally awesome things that make Moo/CTS fans absolutely enjoy and adore this game. Yes this could also be a good feedback and discussion thread.

Since i've seen several people mention how this game is looking good and working out, i would love to know what all of you guys appreciate the most about Moo/CTS, even the ones in the negative threads can have a say ( but be kind ;). Ok... So i'll try and kickstart the thread by speaking of things i find are adequate with this game. I like how this game is very well polished. Graphically i swear the galaxy looks good visually Moo/CTS is nice yes. I like how the ship menu interface is visually organized. I find this game quite Appealing to the Eyes. I like the idea of choosing how long techs can take to complete by merely clicking very slow tech while at the same time chosing fast production rate, like that you can make sure a war will last during low tech era ( Era as figure of speach since civ has that ). I enjoy how much flexibilty i have in diplomacy when negotiating mainly for the great visuals and the variety of offers and demands you can try . I think the new financial victory touch to Moo/CTS isn't bad, and the planet UI is well implemented when it comes to Moo1/Moo2/Moo-CTS resemblance. I may look like a mean guy but there... a few things i don't mind about the game.

While i have seen and even created posts that seem to attract very negative stuff, i create this post to see what people who like the game so much, appreciate most about Moo/CTS. Kind of like an invitation at teaching me what awesome things about Moo/CTS i could have missed. I hope this thread will weigh its toll against my last thread about negativism. So here i figure if opinions about this game trend toward mostly positive views, well let me have a look at the communities thoughts, lets just be careful not to stir up to much Crap. Lets try and make this one last like the other negative one.

Omega_Weapon #2 Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:15 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
The game does look good and is fairly polished already. Good voice actors and the music is pretty nice too. Diplomacy is interesting and only needs minor improvements. Superficially at least this game has captured the mood and aesthetic of the MOO series quite well.

Spud_Dastardly #3 Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:32 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

The graphics and voice acting are of course top notch.  Gameplay wise, I also like that you can customize the speed of research, population growth, etc.  I think spiral galaxies are an interesting addition to the game as well.  I haven't tried cluster yet.  While I was a skeptic at first, I actually like many aspects of star lanes, such as having to choose between sending my colony ship to a really good planet or a really strategically crucial system, which makes the expansion phase of the game more interesting.  

I really like how they handled refitting ships, namely that the ship you build is always the newest design model even if you started building a much older model, and refits are instant for a BC cost.  I like that turns tend to be pretty quick in this game too unlike some games where one turn can take 30 minutes.  

I like space factories.  Building military outposts is a good mechanic, the gas giant and asteroid belt buildings are useful, and jump gates are especially good seeing as they totally change the dynamics of travel mid game.  I usually keep 3 space factories around (built by early-mid game), and they almost always have something to build.  I like the variety of victory conditions too.

I am critical of many aspects of the gameplay mostly relating to micromanagement and balance, but with minor improvements those can be good as well

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

Dizeit_ #4 Posted 06 August 2016 - 08:25 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
Its very tough to think of anything CTS does, either in terms of core gameplay, range of options, content or game mechanics that MOO 2 didn't do much better in every way. Its prettier...... I guess although that's obviously expected. The voice acting is kinda cool the first couple of times you hear it and then...... meh.

Archont4000 #5 Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:26 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
I really like the looks and the feel of the game. It definitely gives the feel of MoO2.
I even like real time tactical combat, it looks  kinda cool.

wwwzugzugorc #6 Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:31 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
The option to play a military focused human race without the need to custom race is nice, after years and years of the "human trader/diplomat trope" thats spanned everything from card to board to computer games.

Prrsha #7 Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:20 PM

Commander

• Players

A personal thank you for starting this thread.  It gives me both sides of the spectrum on how people feel.  :3

Myself, I think they did an AWESOME job on the look of the races.  The game feels polished as well.  It just needs some TLC to fix the following issues:

1. Add a form of ground combat screen.  Get the AI to use troop transports.

2. Balance the Race Stats in line with their lore and make them more unique.

3. Allow a Custom Race to have equal points with Vanilla races (I know NGD said no to this), but I can hope.

4. Improve the AI to focus and take advantage of their racial traits.

If those were fixed, it would have a strong core to build from.

diehardtwinsfan #8 Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:39 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
Love the look and feel, and I do like that this really does get back to the roots of MOO.  I think the real time combat is pretty good too, much better than the disaster that was MOO3.  The game is very polished.  Still needs work in a few areas, but I already think this is worthy of the franchise and they have a chance to make the game that MOO3 never was.

MasterOfOrionConquerTheS #9 Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:37 PM

Captain

• Players

I do like the current state very much. I'd say it'll be ready once they

1 kill the bugs.

2 fix espionage a bit

3 add ground combat mechanics.

The feature they are working on, minor races... well.. how to put it mildly... 

... i don't care at all about minor races. There, said it :D 

RuNeZz #10 Posted 07 August 2016 - 03:40 AM

Commander

• Players
Good to see... Keep up filling up this thread guys.

Arent11 #11 Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:36 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostRuNeZz, on 06 August 2016 - 04:44 AM, said:

Yes, me the thread man. Now i've been part of many many threads all along the lines of the constructive ones demanding or suggesting several changes that were and were not all answered, and the scary horrifying ones. Now i am creating this thread to see all of the positive and totally awesome things that make Moo/CTS fans absolutely enjoy and adore this game. Yes this could also be a good feedback and discussion thread.

Moo has several potential advantages that could make it better than civ:

(1) Customization of races. In civ you cannot customize your races & in fact they even started to give the civs really weird bonuses. People play civ & rpgs often for "individualistic" reasons, they want to play a "warrior" or "mage" & in civ terms a warmonger, a scientist or builder.

(2) The mixture of grand strategy & tactical real time combat. While strategic combat like in civ has its merits, most people will find the mixture more exciting

(3) The ability to trade tech with other players. This is maybe not so obvious, but it was really a bad design decision to forbid players to trade tech in civ5. Tech trade is one of the most exciting elements if playing together with friends on LAN. I remember games when I met my friends and wanted to do something, but I simply couldn't. We weren't playing "together", we were playing "alongside" in the same game.

Drawbacks:

(1) Exploration goes too fast. One of the most thrilling aspects of civ/4X games is exploration of the map. In moo cts right now this exploration phase is very short which takes away a significant part of the "4x".

diehardtwinsfan #12 Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:22 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostEmP64213, on 07 August 2016 - 02:33 PM, said:

Guys on eXplorminte too concluded that MoO is better off without minor races. They distract interaction between main players and don't bring much to the table.

In their rev as implemented, I tend to agree. Not ready to write them off.  I liked the idea. MOO2 did something similar with farming. That might not be a bad add back in at some point, but I think if they aren't so difficult to work with and act a bit more logically, they can be of value.

Omega_Weapon #13 Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:00 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostEmP64213, on 07 August 2016 - 09:33 AM, said:

Guys on eXplorminte too concluded that MoO is better off without minor races. They distract interaction between main players and don't bring much to the table.

​If minor races are done right I think it could add some nice depth to the game. Helps to make up for some of the depth lacking in other areas.

JosEPh_II #14 Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:40 PM

Captain

• Players

View Postdiehardtwinsfan, on 06 August 2016 - 09:39 AM, said:

Love the look and feel, and I do like that this really does get back to the roots of MOO.  I think the real time combat is pretty good too, much better than the disaster that was MOO3.  The game is very polished.  Still needs work in a few areas, but I already think this is worthy of the franchise and they have a chance to make the game that MOO3 never was.

This MoO game will never ever reach the depth of play that III has.

But as a Throwback to the 1st 2 MoOs it fits the category. It's not designed to have a lot of depth. Just enough to hold you for a while. And after you've put it down (because of it's simplicity) to occasionally draw you back for a game or 2. The Add-ons after release will help with that. Polish and Pretty are nice. But it's depth that holds. The casual player will be fine with this MoO.

As someone else stated the 1st X of the 4X premise is basically irrelevant for this game. Unless, Deep space Scanner is moved to at the very least the Middle of the tech tree. Scouts are irrelevant in the long run too. Let them upgrade to carry a weapon and then they can become long range fighters/picket ships with scanning equipment and a bite.

Now to what is the positive, hmmm.........., it is playable. It has a good look for many features (except the galaxy).  It has a weak race and a couple of OP races which is actually good contrary to what many players post. (Equal aliens is Not a good design) . The Custom race selections are decent. And it is this part of the game that will hold some players to the game a bit longer than the normal player.

Can the Devs do more to make this a better (ie I want to play another turn type game), yes they can. Would it be hard to do? No not really. But then again who is the target player they want?\

JosEPh

Old and Slow.....Watch Out! It's Not Y'uns Turn!

Mithlas #15 Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:07 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

I'm not that impressed by the graphics or voice acting - are they bad? No, I just don't think they add as much. It's like icing on a cake: the cake has to be good to start with, and too much (focus on) icing can still ruin a good cake.

I think the starlanes are clean and efficiently handled. I wouldn't mind if formations were a little more flexible and effective, but they're there. I also like how you can tell your ships to keep their distance and take advantage of their range advantage if you have it. Many games have "charge into the enemy gullet" as the only AI for your ships or enemy's. Not sure if they're taking advantage in auto-battles.

Any other comments would be criticisms, which I'll hold for more specific responses in the feedback section.

plasmacannontime #16 Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:58 PM

Commander

• Players

It looks pretty. It sounds pretty.

Excuse me. I have a MOO2 game to keep playing now. :)

MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, MOO4 trending downward, getting older waiting for a MOO5 (a modern version of mostly MOO2).

PunCzarBlintz #17 Posted 14 August 2016 - 12:45 AM

Ensign

• Players

I am rather enjoying the game....

I play both circle and cluster medium size on hard level with random races....

I also appreciate the diplomacy sophistication, lots of options available to get what you want from the enemy AI.

Taking a break from 4.5 years of World of Tanks.... this is an excellent distraction.

RuNeZz #18 Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:53 AM

Commander

• Players

Amazing isn't it all these positive views end up asking for changes. 

To Conclude 17 positive 1/2  vs 59 Negative 2/1 WOW that is so sad what a Ripoff

fourteenfour #19 Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:47 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
its pretty.
Wargaming Labs, taking the money and running. Abandons MOO CTS after their contract development staff could not deliver without ever one word to players.

fourteenfour #20 Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:53 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostOmega_Weapon, on 07 August 2016 - 09:00 PM, said:

​If minor races are done right I think it could add some nice depth to the game. Helps to make up for some of the depth lacking in other areas.

we gave them many good ideas for minor races

• providing old technologies you skipped over
  • bonus to diplomacy with other races (provided minor doesn't racially hate another - could make matters worse too!)
  • random chance at new event occurring in their system for you to grab
  • heroes, oh wait
  • reduce any negative event that strikes a planet you own or system you own
  • give you random knowledge of other systems you have not visited
  • contribute command points (pay for ships effectively)
  • good trade deal with you, nothing you have to ask for - works just like a trade deal
  • randomly completes an item you are building elsewhere
  • duplicates a build queue you choose (so they build ships)
  • terraform worlds for you
  • etc etc etc

Edited by fourteenfour, 26 August 2016 - 12:53 AM.

Wargaming Labs, taking the money and running. Abandons MOO CTS after their contract development staff could not deliver without ever one word to players.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users