Jump to content


Sakkra - A Mini-Biography


  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Varadhon #1 Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:29 AM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 442
  • Member since:
    07-11-2015

Not sure why this is on the other part of the site, but not here, so:

 

 

Sakkra

 

 

Society

 

Values

Sakkra are large, formidable creatures. They have the appearance of a wrecking ball, covered in dense and often menacingly decorated shells. Elder Sakkra have large horned tusks sprouting from their heads. They are compelled by an evolutionary based drive which pushes them to prove themselves against their peers by dominating them with force.

Sakkra value honor, bravery, and perseverance in battle – but above all they value strength. They desire to prove themselves as worthy adversaries among their peers and throughout the galaxy. The only way to stand out in the massive Sakkra population is to show great strength.

The strong are literally the only that survive on Sssla, where Sakkra regularly fight to the death in the streets. There is no law on Sssla and no crime so terrible that they will be punished. However, the constant state of lawlessness on Sssla takes a mental toll on its residents and effects the galactic war-readiness of the Sakkra.

 

Laws

Sakkra are an aggressive, competitive race that fight to survive on crowded planets – there is little room or flexibility for formal law. Sakkra who rely on anyone else to solve their problems (especially the government) are weak. The first thing all Sakkra must do in order to survive on Sssla is defend themselves.

 

Education

Sakkra do not have a formal education system, but knowledge is passed down through tribes. Religion and history are carried down as oral stories told to young Sakkra. Elder Sakkra pass down their knowledge in an archaic and informal, but effective, manner. Sakkra learn fighting techniques from their tribe.

 

Language

Sakkra speak a common language, but there are tribal and regional differences in dialect. If an alien (or Darlok in disguise) speaks in the wrong dialect, Sakkra may become suspicious or even offended. The Sakkra language overall is very guttural and sharp. Sakkra are very large and when they are angry they tend to speak with large arm and hand movements.

 

Gender Roles and Family Structure

Males and females can serve in any role in Sakkra society. Exceptionally strong women have even been known to hold the role of Hierarch. Since Sakkra lay eggs, the burden of carrying children is relieved. The eggs themselves are extremely self-reliant and do not require much care.

Children can be born through conventional mating or through cloning. When Sakkra have children traditionally, a male and female Sakkra mate and produce a cluster of fertilized eggs. These eggs hatch and there are traditionally a dozen or so Sakkra are per mating cycle. Children born through cloning are produced in batches of 100 to 1000 Sakkra in large, surprisingly sophisticated breeding labs.

There is some discrimination against the way a Sakkra is born, with the general impression that those born through mating are somehow “more” Sakkra than those who are cloned. All Sakkra children regardless of origin are sent to government homes within their fealty to be raised and then put into jobs which best suit them.



iHunterKiller #2 Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:54 AM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 272
  • Member since:
    06-21-2015

I always hated the first image we saw of them, the one at the bottom of the OP, because it looks to much like that race from mass effect. But I really like the top image of the Sakkra, it's very cool and totally in line with the art style of the game.

 

Again the fluff is a little bland, no actual lore, just a breakdown of what they are without any real sense of why. But that will come in time I guess. So far, so good.


You and your friends may have preferred certain features from MoO1 or MoO2 .. or perhaps even MoO3 but that does not mean everyone prefers it that way.

Perhaps you could think of some amazing alternative that could enhance the game in new areas, making it more enjoyable for everyone!

Please be creative and open minded when posting, we all want this to be the best game it can be.


Varadhon #3 Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:15 AM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 442
  • Member since:
    07-11-2015

My first thought when I saw it was that it was fairly reminiscent of ankylosaurus (pic)

 



ApolloArtemis #4 Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:14 PM

    Player Experience Specialist

  • Administrator
  • 598
  • Member since:
    01-28-2012
Thank you for posting this, I was out yesterday and didn't get a chance to. 

Varadhon #5 Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:51 AM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 442
  • Member since:
    07-11-2015
You're very welcome.  It also looks like they updated the Human mini-biography with additional information over there.

ApolloArtemis #6 Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:18 PM

    Player Experience Specialist

  • Administrator
  • 598
  • Member since:
    01-28-2012

View PostVaradhon, on 16 July 2015 - 08:51 PM, said:

You're very welcome.  It also looks like they updated the Human mini-biography with additional information over there.

 

Hmm it looks like they added the Government backstory to their posts. And I believe the cruiser artwork is the one from some of the articles from E3. 

OrionSol #7 Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:40 AM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 431
  • Member since:
    06-12-2015
Cloning is a powerful tech for early game 

Jedi Master Or-ion Sol

Founder of THE JEDI ORDER | Community of Guilds 

www.jediswtor.com 


Moo4 #8 Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:46 AM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 297
  • Member since:
    06-14-2015

Humans and Bulrathi mention their research strengths (and weaknesses) in line with MoO1.  This got me hopeful for the original research style coming back.

 

The last 2 reveals haven't said much along those lines :(    Any bonus to planetology for sakkra (and propolsion for alkari)? 


I want a moddable Master of Orion 1.5 with focus on interface and pacing.  Come discuss MoO 1.5 ideas HERE!


Mikko_M #9 Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:54 PM

    Rear Admiral

  • Banned
  • 536
  • Member since:
    06-18-2015

View PostiHunterKiller, on 16 July 2015 - 05:54 AM, said:

 But I really like the top image of the Sakkra, it's very cool and totally in line with the art style of the game.

 

I also like that image more as the proportions on the bottom image seem quite strange (huge back and quite tiny looking legs).


Moreover, I advise that the tactical combat must be made more player controllable and informative for this to become a proper MOO game.

 

​The long lost formula for space 4X game success = Good tactical combat + good empire management > than just good tactical combat or good empire management alone.


ValeriaLivia #10 Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:16 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Players
  • 39
  • Member since:
    06-15-2015

View PostMikko_M, on 28 July 2015 - 07:54 PM, said:

 

I also like that image more as the proportions on the bottom image seem quite strange (huge back and quite tiny looking legs).

 

The proportions look even worse when you see the full image of the top image:


Edited by ValeriaLivia, 31 July 2015 - 04:16 PM.


ApolloArtemis #11 Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:31 PM

    Player Experience Specialist

  • Administrator
  • 598
  • Member since:
    01-28-2012

View PostValeriaLivia, on 31 July 2015 - 09:16 AM, said:

 

The proportions look even worse when you see the full image of the top image:

 

Turtles in Space!

MOO2MOD #12 Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:35 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 402
  • Member since:
    06-22-2015

I think these Sakkra are really ok, inclusive the funny short legs!



Mikko_M #13 Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:21 PM

    Rear Admiral

  • Banned
  • 536
  • Member since:
    06-18-2015

View PostValeriaLivia, on 31 July 2015 - 04:16 PM, said:

 

The proportions look even worse when you see the full image of the top image:

 

You are absolutely right about that. Why on Earth do they have so short and tiny legs?!  :hiding: If this is truly what they are planning for the Sakkra then I must say I am not at all too impressed with the skills of the graphics artists designing these species. (First the Alkari disaster and then this) :(


Edited by Mikko_M, 02 August 2015 - 10:31 PM.

Moreover, I advise that the tactical combat must be made more player controllable and informative for this to become a proper MOO game.

 

​The long lost formula for space 4X game success = Good tactical combat + good empire management > than just good tactical combat or good empire management alone.


VMetalic #14 Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:05 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Players
  • 81
  • Member since:
    10-12-2011
May I ask, what is wrong by you about the Sakkra's legs? Or the Alkari? I am pretty interested on your stance, because in both cases I have no problem with it. A constructive criticism :)

Edited by VMetalic, 03 August 2015 - 09:11 PM.


Mikko_M #15 Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:11 AM

    Rear Admiral

  • Banned
  • 536
  • Member since:
    06-18-2015

View PostVMetalic, on 03 August 2015 - 09:05 PM, said:

May I ask, what is wrong by you about the Sakkra's legs? Or the Alkari? I am pretty interested on your stance, because in both cases I have no problem with it. A constructive criticism :)

 

The current Sakkra model has the upper body of a big body builder on steroids, but the legs of a midget and this makes the model look a bit odd standing. Still all in all I think the model is pretty ok, but it might be even better with not so tiny legs. :)

 

As for the Alkari, I suggest that you visit the Alkari thread.


Edited by Mikko_M, 05 August 2015 - 03:12 AM.

Moreover, I advise that the tactical combat must be made more player controllable and informative for this to become a proper MOO game.

 

​The long lost formula for space 4X game success = Good tactical combat + good empire management > than just good tactical combat or good empire management alone.


VMetalic #16 Posted 05 August 2015 - 05:27 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Players
  • 81
  • Member since:
    10-12-2011

Turtles have tiny legs, and its not a big deal. As I imagine the Sakkra, they may even be pretty short compared to humans, like dwarves. You dont like dwarves for having tiny legs compared to their body? Or you really just want a humanoid copy-paste, just insert the scales, the fur, the ears and so on, all on one humanoid body frame? I think that this diversification, where one pair of limbs is proportionally longer than the other is completely fine by me. If Psilons will on the other hand have tiny arms but long legs, I will also accept that, because it makes sense.

 

This figure the Sakkra will have, from biological sense, makes it so that they are not just the lizards, but also turtles. Look on their scales, and on their chest. They may be quite decent runners, either able to run for far ranges or sprinters, as I remember Gimli in Lord of the Rings once saying about the dwarves. Also they may be better to hold their ground if their legs are thicker, which is the result of having them shorter. And also, if they are smaller, that means there can be more on the planet. :)

 

This is a work of one artist and fan of Master of Orion 1. This is what he drew years ago. Link. As you cna see, his Sakkra are also pretty short, and have tiny legs compared to the arms. There the proportions are even larger than WG's image of Sakkra.

 



Mikko_M #17 Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:05 PM

    Rear Admiral

  • Banned
  • 536
  • Member since:
    06-18-2015

View PostVMetalic, on 05 August 2015 - 05:27 PM, said:

Turtles have tiny legs, and its not a big deal. As I imagine the Sakkra, they may even be pretty short compared to humans, like dwarves. You dont like dwarves for having tiny legs compared to their body? Or you really just want a humanoid copy-paste, just insert the scales, the fur, the ears and so on, all on one humanoid body frame? I think that this diversification, where one pair of limbs is proportionally longer than the other is completely fine by me. If Psilons will on the other hand have tiny arms but long legs, I will also accept that, because it makes sense.

 

This figure the Sakkra will have, from biological sense, makes it so that they are not just the lizards, but also turtles. Look on their scales, and on their chest. They may be quite decent runners, either able to run for far ranges or sprinters, as I remember Gimli in Lord of the Rings once saying about the dwarves. Also they may be better to hold their ground if their legs are thicker, which is the result of having them shorter. And also, if they are smaller, that means there can be more on the planet. :)

 

This is a work of one artist and fan of Master of Orion 1. This is what he drew years ago. Link. As you cna see, his Sakkra are also pretty short, and have tiny legs compared to the arms. There the proportions are even larger than WG's image of Sakkra.

 

 

To me the upper body of these Sakkra screams physical strength, which is exactly what I would want the Sakkra to represent, but the small legs kind of ruin the overall impression of a very powerful lizard species for me. In contrast to the strong upper body the legs look small and kind of weak. In my opinion they would became even more menacing if their legs would match the strength of their upper body.

 

And I believe it was in the early parts of The Two Towers when Gimli said that, as they were chasing those orcs. ;)

 

 


Edited by Mikko_M, 19 August 2015 - 06:06 PM.

Moreover, I advise that the tactical combat must be made more player controllable and informative for this to become a proper MOO game.

 

​The long lost formula for space 4X game success = Good tactical combat + good empire management > than just good tactical combat or good empire management alone.


Varadhon #18 Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:51 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 442
  • Member since:
    07-11-2015
Maybe the Sakkra get a high-G homeworld?  I don't see it in the lore, but it would then make evolutionary sense for them to be sort of squat and stocky.

VMetalic #19 Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:11 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Players
  • 81
  • Member since:
    10-12-2011

View PostMikko_M, on 19 August 2015 - 06:05 PM, said:

 

To me the upper body of these Sakkra screams physical strength, which is exactly what I would want the Sakkra to represent, but the small legs kind of ruin the overall impression of a very powerful lizard species for me. In contrast to the strong upper body the legs look small and kind of weak. In my opinion they would became even more menacing if their legs would match the strength of their upper body.

 

And I believe it was in the early parts of The Two Towers when Gimli said that, as they were chasing those orcs. ;)

 

 

 

I know it was Gimli who said that, just not sure when :D

 

But, maybe there is a lot of strength in the legs. The muscles there may be the strongest. Human muscles are toughest on the palms and feet, and in the mouth :) And neither looks like it.



Birdie_Sparrow #20 Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:17 AM

    The Guardian

  • WG Staff
  • 61
  • Member since:
    07-01-2012

As an interesting design note- the Sakkra head is based off of the bearded dragon...
 

 

Posted Image



 

 





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users