Sakkra - A Mini-Biography

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Birdie_Sparrow #21 Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:55 PM

The Guardian

• WG Staff

View PostMOO2MOD, on 31 July 2015 - 05:35 PM, said:

I think these Sakkra are really ok, inclusive the funny short legs!

Sakkra legs are short - but also very strong, massive and adapted to a primarily shallow water environment. Sakkra developed out of the swamps of their home world - as such as they learned to stand the water helped to buoy them up. This required not so much long legs that aid in running, climbing etc but legs to help them plod through water and mud. Their toes/claws needed to be long and strong to splay out in the mud, to grab hidden roots, to provide stability in a water/mud environment while working, etc. When they entered deeper water - well they just swim.

They CAN work on dry land. They may not be as fast and agile but their legs do have the strength. Think of a hippo - they have short stumpy legs. While they prefer to stay in the water hippo's do come on land being remarkably agile for their bulk versus their perceived legs. Or an alligator/crocodile with their relatively short legs that work well in their environment as well as on dry land. While slow and ponderous on land Sakkra legs are strong enough to support their weight and allow relative ease of movement away from their native environment.

Sakkra were probably 4 legged but as they evolved they learned to stand and use their front legs to manipulate items over time. As evolution took hold they began to stand more and more as their front legs became proto-arms and then arms with dexterous hands. Being in a swamp the arms also grew in length to become roughly twice as long as their legs to allow them to grab, manipulate, and create things above the muck. Again the rear legs remained short primarily for stability and because some of the weight was buoyed up by water.

SIEGE109 #22 Posted 06 December 2015 - 05:36 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
I see you put a lot of thought into this.  Did that story come before or after the picture?

Vahouth #23 Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:18 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

View PostBirdie_Sparrow, on 06 December 2015 - 03:55 PM, said:

Sakkra legs are short - but also very strong, massive and adapted to a primarily shallow water environment. Sakkra developed out of the swamps of their home world - as such as they learned to stand the water helped to buoy them up. This required not so much long legs that aid in running, climbing etc but legs to help them plod through water and mud. Their toes/claws needed to be long and strong to splay out in the mud, to grab hidden roots, to provide stability in a water/mud environment while working, etc. When they entered deeper water - well they just swim.

They CAN work on dry land. They may not be as fast and agile but their legs do have the strength. Think of a hippo - they have short stumpy legs. While they prefer to stay in the water hippo's do come on land being remarkably agile for their bulk versus their perceived legs. Or an alligator/crocodile with their relatively short legs that work well in their environment as well as on dry land. While slow and ponderous on land Sakkra legs are strong enough to support their weight and allow relative ease of movement away from their native environment.

Sakkra were probably 4 legged but as they evolved they learned to stand and use their front legs to manipulate items over time. As evolution took hold they began to stand more and more as their front legs became proto-arms and then arms with dexterous hands. Being in a swamp the arms also grew in length to become roughly twice as long as their legs to allow them to grab, manipulate, and create things above the muck. Again the rear legs remained short primarily for stability and because some of the weight was buoyed up by water.

So what about the Sakkra advisor then? ;)

Birdie_Sparrow #24 Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:18 PM

The Guardian

• WG Staff

View PostVahouth, on 06 December 2015 - 06:18 PM, said:

So what about the Sakkra advisor then? ;)

Tree dweller  - evolved differently but on a parallel path as they came out of the swamps and into the trees (probably to escape those big nasty swamp dwellers... that ate them...). Evolution took over, etc. I was replying to the initial posts re: the short stumpy legs of the Sakkra emperor.

Vahouth #25 Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:50 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

Are the origins of the Sakkra from MoO3 (with the 3 reptilian types) related  in any way to the lore for this game?

Where do Trilarians fit in the mix?

calitexa #26 Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:18 PM

Loremaster

• WG Staff

View PostVahouth, on 07 December 2015 - 01:50 PM, said:

Are the origins of the Sakkra from MoO3 (with the 3 reptilian types) related  in any way to the lore for this game?

Where do Trilarians fit in the mix?

When we started the process of rebooting the lore, we primarily focused on the material from MoO and MoO II. The lore from MoO3 is a source of inspiration, but not as fundamental to the process as the first two game. So... no. I would not expect to see much from MoO3 reflected in the expanded lore. 

However, the relationship between the Sakkra and the Trilarians is still uneasy (in fact that is their base relationship in the game). But that's all I'll say about that. Secrets, you know. :P 

Vahouth #27 Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:47 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

Thank you for the quick response. :)

So, are the Sakkra a single but very heterogeneous race, or a mix of reptilian races? I'm asking because the different appearance of the advisor suggests something like that.

Edited by Vahouth, 08 December 2015 - 08:48 PM.

calitexa #28 Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:53 PM

Loremaster

• WG Staff

View PostVahouth, on 08 December 2015 - 02:47 PM, said:

Thank you for the quick response. :)

So, are the Sakkra a single but very heterogeneous race, or a mix of reptilian races? I'm asking because the different appearance of the advisor suggests something like that.

Ahhh. I would say they follow the example of the other races... there are many different types of appearances a race can take while they all share distinct core qualities that make them Sakkra. Just as the Alkari can range from appearing like pigeons or falcons. Not every variant or sub-race has been explored in depth, but it's safe to assume that not every member of the race looks just like the Emperor or Advisors. :)  

Varadhon #29 Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:29 AM

Captain

• Players

View Postcalitexa, on 08 December 2015 - 08:53 PM, said:

Ahhh. I would say they follow the example of the other races... there are many different types of appearances a race can take while they all share distinct core qualities that make them Sakkra. Just as the Alkari can range from appearing like pigeons or falcons. Not every variant or sub-race has been explored in depth, but it's safe to assume that not every member of the race looks just like the Emperor or Advisors. :)  

I'm curious to know where the idea for the extreme variation in intraracial morphology originated.

Edited by Varadhon, 09 December 2015 - 06:29 AM.

VMetalic #30 Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:27 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostVaradhon, on 09 December 2015 - 06:29 AM, said:

I'm curious to know where the idea for the extreme variation in intraracial morphology originated.

Evolution. Sakkra are breeding the fastest of all MoO races, this means that their genetic code is changing the fastest too. If they all strive for strength not just against each other, but against their environment, that means that depending on where they hatched and lived, their appearance can vary. Humans are also of different skin complexion and facial structures based on their place of living :)

calitexa #31 Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:32 PM

Loremaster

• WG Staff

View PostVMetalic, on 09 December 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

Evolution. Sakkra are breeding the fastest of all MoO races, this means that their genetic code is changing the fastest too. If they all strive for strength not just against each other, but against their environment, that means that depending on where they hatched and lived, their appearance can vary. Humans are also of different skin complexion and facial structures based on their place of living :)

Perfect answer! Yeah, I was going to say that the Sakkra are a quick breeding race with relatively short life spans. Evolutionary changes can be dramatic and seen in a relatively short amount of time, compared to the evolutionary changes of some other races. Weaker traits are quickly removed from the Sakkra breeding pool. Environment plays a large part in their evolution as well - the Sakkra are always expanding and being pushed into regions which other races would probably not deem as "habitable." 

Vahouth #32 Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:52 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

Is it safe to assume that based on the genetic variation of the Sakkra, their spies will resemble chameleons? ;)

And now that I mentioned it..in the first 2 games, we could see the diplomat, soldier, scientist and spy variations of each race. Is this also a thing here or we'll be having only emperor and advisor?

calitexa #33 Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:54 PM

Loremaster

• WG Staff

View PostVahouth, on 09 December 2015 - 01:52 PM, said:

Is it safe to assume that based on the genetic variation of the Sakkra, their spies will resemble chameleons? ;)

And now that I mentioned it..in the first 2 games, we could see the diplomat, soldier, scientist and spy variations of each race. Is this also a thing here or we'll be having only emperor and advisor?

I suppose you will have to wait and see! :P 

Mikko_M #34 Posted 19 December 2015 - 01:56 PM

Rear Admiral

• Banned

View Postcalitexa, on 08 December 2015 - 08:53 PM, said:

Just please terminate your exploration of Disney character sub-races, as they do not add anything useful to the game and just make it seem more like a parody of the original MOO games rather than a serious sequel/reboot. The voice acting on the current Sakkra advisor is just horribly annoying as he/she/it sounds weak and childish, and the only thing that I would want to do to that advisor as the emperor is to murder it.

Moreover, I advise that the tactical combat must be made more player controllable and informative for this to become a proper MOO game.

​The long lost formula for space 4X game success = Good tactical combat + good empire management > than just good tactical combat or good empire management alone.

Vahouth #35 Posted 19 December 2015 - 02:56 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

I think the current lore for the Sakkra is very similar to Warhammer 40K Orks where the leaders are the biggest and strongest of them all. The advisor reminds me of the sneaky goblins.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users