Jump to content


Balanced Races Mod

Mod Race balance

  • Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Vahouth #41 Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:13 PM

    Vice Admiral

  • Players
  • 1,288
  • Member since:
    10-03-2015

View PostEmperorFredd, on 30 September 2016 - 05:02 PM, said:

Maybe the starting planet should be harsh but rich and artifacts.  After all, that lore said they had to fight their planet to survive.

 

But what does high mortality rate means within the game's mechanics? Lower biome? Toxic? Lots of vicious flora & fauna?

If it's the latter, then a jungle HW comes to mind or maybe even lower growth rate?



Spud_Dastardly #42 Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:39 PM

    Rear Admiral

  • Players
  • 657
  • Member since:
    07-15-2016
Their lore specifically says Alpha Ceti is an Arid, but Vahouth is right; based on what I saw with the Mrrshan homeworld (planning on dropping plains dweller for them btw), arid homeworld is too crippling because of the low farming.  If no production +25%, then I guess that leaves us pretty much where they are originally.  I'll drop the marine training rate for an upgrade to 30% command points.  That just leaves one point, which could go to either starting with engineering like they currently have, artifacts hw, large hw, or I guess security 10% is still on the table.  If you still want reduced negotiations, then we can choose two of the previous perks.

Edited by Spud_Dastardly, 30 September 2016 - 03:40 PM.

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

 


jasonwclark #43 Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:56 PM

    Commander

  • Players
  • 119
  • Member since:
    09-11-2016

I was really happy when I found out that there would be an additional "human" type faction in this MOO. While I enjoy playing different races from time to time, I always end up gravitating back to Humans or Terrans. I like the built in rivalry, when I'm playing as one I usually make killing the other my first priority, so I dig how they usually start in fairly close proximity to one another and war is often inevitable haha. 

 

Along those lines, I like the idea that the Human homeworld would be a highly attractive target for the Terrans, and vice versa too, so I'd be a little wary of nerfing the Terran homeworld too much. Arid seems like it would be a little rough, even though the lore suggests it. It's too bad the population growth is tied to farming as much as it is. I preferred the old model with housing, but things being what they are, it seems like these warlords need shovels and plows as much as the next guy haha. I like most of the ideas floated here though. As long as they're not too different from the normal Humans, I'm sure they'll still be a go to when choosing a race or a racial model. The voice work pretty damn awesome, I always have a tough time choosing between Q and Freddy lol

 

 

 



Summon3r #44 Posted 02 October 2016 - 11:38 PM

    Commander

  • Players
  • 211
  • Member since:
    06-26-2015
hey spud what do you have to do to terraform the volcanic planets now? is there a building specific for it?

Spud_Dastardly #45 Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:15 AM

    Rear Admiral

  • Players
  • 657
  • Member since:
    07-15-2016

View PostSummon3r, on 02 October 2016 - 11:38 PM, said:

hey spud what do you have to do to terraform the volcanic planets now? is there a building specific for it?

In my Tech Tree Mod, you get the technology Volcanic Cooling once you research Gaia Transformation. Once you have it, you should have the option to build it on volcanic planets.  This is the balanced races thread btw not the tech tree mod thread.


Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

 


Summon3r #46 Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:56 PM

    Commander

  • Players
  • 211
  • Member since:
    06-26-2015

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 03 October 2016 - 02:15 AM, said:

In my Tech Tree Mod, you get the technology Volcanic Cooling once you research Gaia Transformation. Once you have it, you should have the option to build it on volcanic planets.  This is the balanced races thread btw not the tech tree mod thread.

 

thx!, sorry im having trouble keeping track of all these excellent mods and where and what was posted where lol

trbeier #47 Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:17 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 255
  • Member since:
    02-27-2016
I have been busy for the past week or two, and now I see all these mods?  Where / when did they release mod kits?
“Impossible is not a word. It's just a reason for someone not to try.”
- Kutless

Spud_Dastardly #48 Posted 03 October 2016 - 11:23 PM

    Rear Admiral

  • Players
  • 657
  • Member since:
    07-15-2016

View Posttrbeier, on 03 October 2016 - 06:17 PM, said:

I have been busy for the past week or two, and now I see all these mods?  Where / when did they release mod kits?

 

They didn't. Mensmans on the Steam forum extracted the game's yaml files so that we could mod them.

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

 


EmperorFredd #49 Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:18 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Players
  • 94
  • Member since:
    09-01-2016

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 03 October 2016 - 11:23 PM, said:

 

They didn't. Mensmans on the Steam forum extracted the game's yaml files so that we could mod them.

 

But it doesn't seem to work on the Mac version.

trbeier #50 Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:54 AM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 255
  • Member since:
    02-27-2016

Great!  Thanks!  :-)

So, are there any popular mods out there?  There doesn't even seem to be one single mod discussion group here, is there?  Any site that lists them?


“Impossible is not a word. It's just a reason for someone not to try.”
- Kutless

Spud_Dastardly #51 Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:46 AM

    Rear Admiral

  • Players
  • 657
  • Member since:
    07-15-2016

View Posttrbeier, on 04 October 2016 - 07:54 AM, said:

Great!  Thanks!  :-)

So, are there any popular mods out there?  There doesn't even seem to be one single mod discussion group here, is there?  Any site that lists them?

 

As far as I'm aware, I'm the only one who was released any mods (4 of them) to the public so far, at least in English, with the exception of this little mod whose purpose is to let you pick all of the race traits at 0 points cost.  We will see more come I'm sure after the next patch when they officially release modding support.  Currently, ElPozoleOlmeca has a poll up asking whether we want a forum subsection just for mods.  So far the answer is a resounding yes!  Once we have that, new mods will be easier to keep track of.  

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

 


Spud_Dastardly #52 Posted 04 October 2016 - 12:30 PM

    Rear Admiral

  • Players
  • 657
  • Member since:
    07-15-2016
Released version 2.1.  It takes away Plains dweller from the Mrrshan to remove that terrible Arid HW handicap and gives them rich hw and beam defense in line with their moo2 bonuses, and it takes away militarist from the Terrans and gives them +30% command points and +10% security instead.  Also includes AI adjustments to make the Silicoids, Darlok, and Mrrshan more competitive.  This is the last update to any of my four mods until the next major patch since I'm expecting that patch to break all of my mods, and I want to combine all of my mods at that point into a single mod.  I still need a good name for my composite mod by the way!

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

 


Arent11 #53 Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:17 PM

    Commander

  • Players
  • 185
  • Member since:
    11-30-2015

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 04 October 2016 - 12:30 PM, said:

Released version 2.1.  It takes away Plains dweller from the Mrrshan to remove that terrible Arid HW handicap and gives them rich hw and beam defense in line with their moo2 bonuses, and it takes away militarist from the Terrans and gives them +30% command points and +10% security instead.  Also includes AI adjustments to make the Silicoids, Darlok, and Mrrshan more competitive.  This is the last update to any of my four mods until the next major patch since I'm expecting that patch to break all of my mods, and I want to combine all of my mods at that point into a single mod.  I still need a good name for my composite mod by the way!

 

You mean beam offense? Sounds good.

DJO_Maverick #54 Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:28 PM

    Ensign

  • Players
  • 8
  • Member since:
    02-22-2016
Great stuff, Spud.  I'd call this one a must-have.

Relmor #55 Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:17 PM

    Ensign

  • Players
  • 1
  • Member since:
    10-09-2016

Just starting to test all four of your mods, but kudos for breaking new ground here. I'm very excited about the doors this opens up to the modding community,

I believe an earlier commenter noted that when you start a new game, the Mrrshan Beam Attack enhancement was listed as a Beam Defense. I'd confirm this - simply start a new game and in the race select screen select the Mrrshan and examine the panel on the right. I tracked this down to line 382 in your RacialPerks.yaml, which has the perk_ship_attack listed in category 'PERK_CATEGORY_SHIP_DEFENSE'. Switch this to 'PERK_CATEGORY_SHIP_ATTACK' and the issue is fixed; the correct text is then displayed within the race select screen for the Mrrshan.



Spud_Dastardly #56 Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:10 AM

    Rear Admiral

  • Players
  • 657
  • Member since:
    07-15-2016

View PostRelmor, on 09 October 2016 - 09:17 PM, said:

Just starting to test all four of your mods, but kudos for breaking new ground here. I'm very excited about the doors this opens up to the modding community,

I believe an earlier commenter noted that when you start a new game, the Mrrshan Beam Attack enhancement was listed as a Beam Defense. I'd confirm this - simply start a new game and in the race select screen select the Mrrshan and examine the panel on the right. I tracked this down to line 382 in your RacialPerks.yaml, which has the perk_ship_attack listed in category 'PERK_CATEGORY_SHIP_DEFENSE'. Switch this to 'PERK_CATEGORY_SHIP_ATTACK' and the issue is fixed; the correct text is then displayed within the race select screen for the Mrrshan.

 

The change in category was intentional in order to merge ship attack and ship defense into the same category to save space.  The name of the category was changed in RacialTraits.csv to "Ship Combat," and so if you have copied the csv file it should display beam attack and beam defense under that name as shown in the screenshot on the first page.  I think what Arent11 might have been referring to is that Beam Attack +50% are the Mrrshan's primary trait, but I did in fact give them beam defense +25% on the latest patch in addition to beam attack.

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

 


Prrsha #57 Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:44 AM

    Commander

  • Players
  • 242
  • Member since:
    05-02-2016

Is there anyway to give an extra population unit or two to the Mrrshan at the start to compensate for their Arid homeworld?  I do enjoy the Grassland Biome being used in the game and Mrrshan seem to be the fit for it.  Or perhaps give them a larger homeworld?  I know adding a larger homeworld would tip the point scale but having a Arid homeworld with no food bonus is crippling at the start.  Or here is maybe another idea... Have the Grassland Biome cost less points or the fact of having an Arid homeworld give you a penalty to points?


 

You could just have the two aspects, Grassland Biome and Arid homeworld have two different point choices?  For example Grassland Biome costs 2 points but choosing Arid Homeland costs -2 points.  Another idea is just to give Mrrshan a Terran homeworld.  After all the Bulrathi are High-G and start in a normal-G homeworld which makes no sense whatsoever.



Spud_Dastardly #58 Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:26 AM

    Rear Admiral

  • Players
  • 657
  • Member since:
    07-15-2016

View PostPrrsha, on 11 October 2016 - 12:44 AM, said:

Is there anyway to give an extra population unit or two to the Mrrshan at the start to compensate for their Arid homeworld?  I do enjoy the Grassland Biome being used in the game and Mrrshan seem to be the fit for it.  Or perhaps give them a larger homeworld?  I know adding a larger homeworld would tip the point scale but having a Arid homeworld with no food bonus is crippling at the start.  Or here is maybe another idea... Have the Grassland Biome cost less points or the fact of having an Arid homeworld give you a penalty to points?


 

You could just have the two aspects, Grassland Biome and Arid homeworld have two different point choices?  For example Grassland Biome costs 2 points but choosing Arid Homeland costs -2 points.  Another idea is just to give Mrrshan a Terran homeworld.  After all the Bulrathi are High-G and start in a normal-G homeworld which makes no sense whatsoever.

 

Currently with my mod, the grassland uber biome costs 2 while arid homeworld costs -2.  Despite this, they still were not able to keep up. I tried giving them a food bonus at one point to compensate, but it just doesn't fit with their race design.  If I recall, population growth is actually slightly slower on a large homeworld, so it wouldn't help them.   In my latest version, the Mrrshan have a Terran homeworld and no uber biome transformation (see the notes on the original post).  I may drop the +25% ship defense I gave them in the latest update in favor of the uber biome pick but still with a terran homeworld.  Since my tech tree mod allows races to convert terrans to ubers, I think this would be a good fit for them once I combine my mods together after the next patch.

 

I wish there was a way to ensure Low, Normal, and High gravity races start with Low, Normal, and High gravity homeworlds respectively...


Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

 


diehardtwinsfan #59 Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:59 PM

    Rear Admiral

  • Players
  • 510
  • Member since:
    10-05-2015
This is some awesome stuff.  Wish the devs would just take this and add them... not much in here I disagree with, and it's a far better game as a result.

Archont4000 #60 Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:11 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Players
  • 76
  • Member since:
    06-30-2016

I find that this mod allows me to create rather imbalanced race even for Extreme game.

 

Bonuses:

  Pollution tolerance: +25%

  Production +50%

  Growth: +50%

  Lithovere

  Ship cost: -20%

  Uber planet: Inferno

 

Neutral or not really a negative trait:

  Diplomacy: Worsen disposition

  Diplomacy: Worsen Negotiation

  Mission Risk: +10%

  Assimilation power: -25%

  Ground combat: -25%

 

Negative traits:

  Credits mod: -25% - multiple planets provide enough cash flow and trade treaties help as well.

  Ship combat: -25% beam attack  - don't really care, I use missiles

  Homeworld: Volcanic  - just colonize rich planet with first/second colony ship and use it as homeworld :)

  Homeworld: Poor  - +50% production negates it.

 

Basically i struggle a bit at the beginning, but I pump out colony ships from my homeworld indefinitely colonizing just everything.

Production bonus and reduction in ship cost helps me overcome Poor homeworld production.

So by turn 60 i start increasing fleet to keep on par with my neighbors, by turn 100 I get 1st place in all areas, by turn 200 I am 3 or 4 times better than AI in all areas.

 







Also tagged with Mod, Race balance

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users