Strong Empire Defense Mod

mod empire defense

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Spud_Dastardly #1 Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:27 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

This mod is no longer actively supported and may not function on the latest version of the game.  It has been replaced with my new mega mod: 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod, which you can get here:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=797954504

http://www.nexusmods.com/masteroforionconquerthestars/mods/6/?

Original Post:

Spoiler

Edited by Spud_Dastardly, 12 November 2016 - 11:12 AM.

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

EmperorFredd #2 Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:44 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

I was hoping somebody would post how to put these files in the Mac installation, but nobody has, and my searches have not given me an answer.  This mod sounds great!

So, I searched my Mac for "yaml" and found references in the GOG logs, and this is one of the hits:

2016-09-15 10:32:31 [Information][SubSystem installer thread (3)]: File Contents/Resources/game/MasterOfOrion.app/Contents/Resources/Data/StreamingAssets/DiplomacyView/CouncilVoterAnimations.yaml will be downloaded in SmallFilesContainer 1cdce5420f144dac647f30d4273cacf0

"StreamingAssets"?  I don't like the sound of that.

Anybody else play on a Mac and use these mods?

Edited by EmperorFredd, 27 September 2016 - 03:48 PM.

Spud_Dastardly #3 Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:10 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
I have that yaml in a Diplomacy View folder too.  Try putting the ShipData folder into .../Data/StreamingAssets/GameplayData.    In the same folder there should be another folder called GalaxyGenerationTables, so if it's named something different on Mac, maybe you can find it that way.  I saw someone on the Steam forums on a mac though that said the yaml files didn't work for him, but it's worth a shot.  Sorry, I wish I could help more.

EmperorFredd #4 Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:30 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

Ohhhh, I found my way in.  I got to the GameplayData folder.  I downloaded your mod and will play with it tonight.  I don't see any yaml files in that folder, but it might use them if they are put in.

I also found folders full of csv files.  I know my way around a csv :D

It's very different on a Mac.  An "application" is really a folder, not a compiled exe like in a dos-based system.  Right-click on the "application" and select "show package contents" and voila!  Like magic, you get a folder view and can navigate around.

Spud_Dastardly #5 Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:07 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
Normally even on Windows there are no yaml files in that folder.  All of the yamls are in the resources.assets file.  Someone on the steam forums discovered how to extract them from that file and noticed the game loads them from the gameplaydata folder.  Hopefully the mac version works the same way.

mewdego #6 Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:55 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

proper location/directories for the yaml files to work:

"GameplayData/GalaxyGenerationTables/ModelledGalaxyData",
        "GameplayData/GalaxyGenerationTables/GalaxyAges",
        "GameplayData/GalaxyGenerationTables/GameStartPoints",
        "GameplayData/Difficulties",
        "GameplayData/GameSpeeds",
        "GameplayData/ResearchSpeeds",
        "GameplayData/ProductionSpeeds",
        "GameplayData/PopulationGrowthSpeeds",
        "GameplayData/TimelineSaveModes",
        "GameplayData/GalaxyGenerationTables/BiomeChances",
        "GameplayData/GalaxyGenerationTables/PlanetSizeChances",
        "GameplayData/StarTypes",
        "GameplayData/PlanetaryResourceTypes",
        "GameplayData/GalaxyGenerationTables/TradeableResourceChances",
        "GameplayData/ShipData/TacticalScenarioDesign",
        "GameplayData/ShipData/TacticalShipDesign",
        "GameplayData/ShipData/FormationTypes",
        "GameplayData/TacticalObstacleTypes",
        "GameplayData/BattlefieldHazardsConfig",
        "GameplayData/PlanetData/PlanetSizeTypes",
        "GameplayData/PlanetData/PlanetBiomeTypes",
        "GameplayData/PlanetData/PlanetMineralRichnessTypes",
        "GameplayData/GalaxyGenerationTables/GravityTable",
        "GameplayData/ShipData/ShipHullTypes",
        "GameplayData/ShipData/ShipHullModels",
        "GameplayData/ShipData/ShipSlots",
        "GameplayData/ShipData/ShipModuleModTypes",
        "GameplayData/ShipData/WeaponTypes",
        "GameplayData/ShipData/ShipModules",
        "GameplayData/ShipData/ShipBlueprintTemplates",
        "GameplayData/ShipData/ShipHullModelConfigTypes",
        "GameplayData/ColonyStructureTypes",
        "GameplayData/ColonyProjects",
        "GameplayData/PlanetDefenses",
        "GameplayData/Miniaturizations",
        "GameplayData/TechAchievements",
        "GameplayData/TechApps",
        "GameplayData/RacialBiases",
        "GameplayData/RacialPerks",
        "GameplayData/RaceTypes",
        "GameplayData/GovernmentTypes",
        "GameplayData/TechTree",
        "GameplayData/EspionageMissions",
        "GameplayData/RandomEvents",
        "GameplayData/GNNEvent",
        "GameplayData/GNNRankings",
        "GameplayData/NotificationType",
        "GameplayData/AudienceEvent",
        "GameplayData/AudienceEventPlaylist",
        "GameplayData/Tutorials",
        "GameplayData/TriggerableActions",
        "GameplayData/MentatResearchEvent"

the last is always the name of the yaml file, example:

GameplayData/GalaxyGenerationTables/ModelledGalaxyData = GameplayData/GalaxyGenerationTables/ModelledGalaxyData.yaml

Edited by mewdego, 28 September 2016 - 01:57 PM.

Summon3r #7 Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:48 PM

Commander

• Players

geeze spud WG should have just hired you to begin with who would have though putting in common sense good for the game type stuff like you have this week would have taken 3 years of developement and then needing the community to mod for them LOL

Great work again and thx!!!!

EmperorFredd #8 Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:25 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostSummon3r, on 28 September 2016 - 02:48 PM, said:

geeze spud WG should have just hired you to begin with who would have though putting in common sense good for the game type stuff like you have this week would have taken 3 years of developement and then needing the community to mod for them LOL

Great work again and thx!!!!

I think they should have hired mewdego, too.  Holy crap, what a great reference.  It appears with that information you can almost make a completely new game.

Summon3r #9 Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:48 AM

Commander

• Players

View PostEmperorFredd, on 28 September 2016 - 03:25 PM, said:

I think they should have hired mewdego, too.  Holy crap, what a great reference.  It appears with that information you can almost make a completely new game.

eh? mewdego? what am i missing here?

Spud_Dastardly #10 Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:59 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostSummon3r, on 29 September 2016 - 02:48 AM, said:

eh? mewdego? what am i missing here?

Scroll up.  He posted a list of where each yaml file goes.  He's also the one I have to thank for pointing me to where on the Steam forums I could get these files, so none of my mods would exist right now without him!

By the way, after testing, the 50% improvement is almost right but still a little too powerful.  I'll be uploading version 1.2 in a bit that changes it to a 30% improvement, which I think will be about perfect.

Also,  ElPozoleOlmeca wants to know whether all of you would like a new subforum just for mods.  Respond to his poll here: http://forum.masteroforion.com/index.php?/topic/2053-poll-new-subsection/

mewdego #11 Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:44 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostEmperorFredd, on 28 September 2016 - 03:25 PM, said:

thx for the compliment, but to be fair, i extracted that list from the DLL with the guidance of "mensmans" from steam forum, direct link below:

http://steamcommunit...542145697939092

Skaughtey #12 Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:42 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
oh man, I just spent the past two days modding all the racial traits to my own liking and now I find info like this.... I not gonna have any actual playtime. I will be spending all my time just modding the game lol. Thank you for this Spud!

St_Turkey #13 Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:58 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 27 September 2016 - 03:27 PM, said:

Future plans:  I'd like to adjust the balance of some of the weapons.  In particular I'd like to make missiles weaker and fighters stronger.  If you have any comments on which weapons are particularly OP or underpowered, let me know. 

There is a discussion on Fighters here that has some of my thoughts: http://forum.masteroforion.com/index.php?/topic/2046-another-role-for-fighters/

Missiles are only really powerful early game and against ships smaller than Cruisers because of Point Defense. In addition, unless you don't have a Choice or are Creative, the later Tech choices makes them poorer choices for ships (but need to be in consideration for Star Bases, Outposts, etc) (though, your tech mod may change that).  But if you want to address them:

* Force them to not be omnidirectional.  They are weight savers and powerful because of their ALL Directions are baked in, and they are as big as a single facing of Mass Drivers.

* Missiles should have better range and slower speed than cannons, but faster speed and less range than Fighters/Bombers.

* Some of the modification sizes may want to be addressed.

* Should Targetting Computers be an influence?  Something has to program their flight path and possibly update it while in flight.  This may mean base accuracy of Missiles goes significantly down as a result, of course.

Spud_Dastardly #14 Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:16 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostSt_Turkey, on 29 September 2016 - 11:58 PM, said:

There is a discussion on Fighters here that has some of my thoughts: http://forum.masteroforion.com/index.php?/topic/2046-another-role-for-fighters/

Missiles are only really powerful early game and against ships smaller than Cruisers because of Point Defense. In addition, unless you don't have a Choice or are Creative, the later Tech choices makes them poorer choices for ships (but need to be in consideration for Star Bases, Outposts, etc) (though, your tech mod may change that).  But if you want to address them:

* Force them to not be omnidirectional.  They are weight savers and powerful because of their ALL Directions are baked in, and they are as big as a single facing of Mass Drivers.

* Missiles should have better range and slower speed than cannons, but faster speed and less range than Fighters/Bombers.

* Some of the modification sizes may want to be addressed.

* Should Targetting Computers be an influence?  Something has to program their flight path and possibly update it while in flight.  This may mean base accuracy of Missiles goes significantly down as a result, of course.

I disagree about the power of mid/late game missiles.  My pulson missile and zeon missile fleet overwhelm enemy PD weapons and make short work of their ships.  I have found them much more effective than torpedoes or cannons.  They're only ineffective in small numbers.  I will take a closer look at your suggestions though.

EmperorFredd #15 Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:30 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 30 September 2016 - 05:16 AM, said:

I disagree about the power of mid/late game missiles.  My pulson missile and zeon missile fleet overwhelm enemy PD weapons and make short work of their ships.  I have found them much more effective than torpedoes or cannons.  They're only ineffective in small numbers.  I will take a closer look at your suggestions though.

I think it has to do with nature of the target.  Missiles seem to be the best way to clear out a pack of small ships.  Torpedoes are devastating to stationary targets.  Beams are great against big targets.

That said, whether one agrees about the relative power, his specific suggestions are on point and rationally address other issues with missiles.  I think they are great ideas, especially the omnidirectional issue.

Summon3r #16 Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:57 PM

Commander

• Players
anyway to confirm this mod is functioning? it seems to me you made things fairly string on paper im jus tnot sure im seeing it in game. i simply dropped your folder into the gameplaydata folder

Spud_Dastardly #17 Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:00 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostSummon3r, on 30 September 2016 - 02:57 PM, said:

anyway to confirm this mod is functioning? it seems to me you made things fairly string on paper im jus tnot sure im seeing it in game. i simply dropped your folder into the gameplaydata folder

One way to confirm it's working is to go to the ship design screen.  The frigate blueprint should have 4 weapon and special slots available, the destoyer 5, etc. which is 1 more than they used to have.  You should also have the option to build x5 troop transports and x5 cruisers once you research those techs.

The only way to confirm the defenses are buffed is to get into a battle.  I just sent five frigates armed with superior weapons against a military outpost and lost, though it was close (when I rewinded and sent 6 I won).  I definitely saw the extra barrage of missiles from the outpost that I expect with the double space on the outpost.  For comparison, Attack/Defense rating of nearby Alkari outpost is 136/298 currently, while their nearby fleet of 5 frigates and 2 destroyers is at 48/363.  I'd say that's about right considering how bad they are at ship design.  You are correct to put the ShipData folder in the GameplayData folder.  

Summon3r #18 Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:07 PM

Commander

• Players
yep there it is frig has 4 specials and weps, thx

St_Turkey #19 Posted 30 September 2016 - 11:31 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 30 September 2016 - 05:16 AM, said:

Part of the problem with late game missiles is that their tech in the base game is tied in to other tech that is usually better to have over all.  Some of that tech is dependent on if you have taken out Orion.

With Missiles against Cruisers+, I have found that the PD that a Cruiser carries is sufficient enough to handle what a Cruiser throws, especially when you take in to account damage reduction and shields.  The damage of the missiles when they hit may be fine, but it is getting them to hit in sufficient numbers that are a challenge.  Hardening your Missiles helps against PD, but it also reduces your throw weight.  And the same goes with ECCM.

EmperorFredd #20 Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:30 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

Hey, if anyone installs this mod on a Mac, let me know, because I tried, and oh boy....  As soon as I dragged the ShipData folder to the tab where I had GameplayData folder open, my screen went black and I could do nothing but shut the computer off.  When I started it back up, the game loaded.  Not sure what or why.

One idea I just had is maybe using terminal I can try it unix style.  Hmm.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users