Strong Empire Defense Mod

mod empire defense

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Spud_Dastardly #41 Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:55 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View Postdiehardtwinsfan, on 12 October 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

Lot of really cool stuff in here.  Once that next patch comes out, I'm downloading that compiled mod... loving what you're doing here spud... wish the Devs would just take this and add it in.  You fixing the Mrrshan too?

I'd add that the Silicoids could use some tweaking... slightly faster pop growth or a way to allow them to focus on said things... they grow too slow and usually get swallowed up.  Never had a game where they weren't easy targets.

If by fixing the Mrrshan you mean giving them a beam attack build as they should have, then yes I did that in the balanced races mod already.  I also gave the Silicoids a much better build including a bonus to population growth.  I improved the AI of the Mrrshan and Silicoids so that they would both be more aggressive in expanding.  I think they are significantly improved over the vanilla builds.

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

diehardtwinsfan #42 Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:09 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 12 October 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

If by fixing the Mrrshan you mean giving them a beam attack build as they should have, then yes I did that in the balanced races mod already.  I also gave the Silicoids a much better build including a bonus to population growth.  I improved the AI of the Mrrshan and Silicoids so that they would both be more aggressive in expanding.  I think they are significantly improved over the vanilla builds.

I didn't see the other thread before I posted this.

You've done some pretty awesome work with those four mods.

jasonwclark #43 Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:17 AM

Commander

• Players

I think a custom AI difficulty setting called Ultra would be nice in the mod package.  

Something with a strong command point and production boost, or whatever seems to play best against strong empire defense conditions. That way we could use that difficulty setting to provide balance feedback. 

Normal is probably not going to be very interesting, and the default difficulty scales above Hard tweak with a lot of factors. Wonder if it's possible to mess with the cash? Seems like what the AI needs is more money and more command points, so they can spam enough ships to overcome their other deficiencies. 

Spud_Dastardly #44 Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:13 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View Postjasonwclark, on 21 October 2016 - 06:17 AM, said:

I think a custom AI difficulty setting called Ultra would be nice in the mod package.  

Something with a strong command point and production boost, or whatever seems to play best against strong empire defense conditions. That way we could use that difficulty setting to provide balance feedback. 

Normal is probably not going to be very interesting, and the default difficulty scales above Hard tweak with a lot of factors. Wonder if it's possible to mess with the cash? Seems like what the AI needs is more money and more command points, so they can spam enough ships to overcome their other deficiencies. 

I am planning on tweaking the difficulty levels when I combine my mods into one after the next patch.  From the yaml files, I know that the difficulty setting affects research, credits, command points, credits income, and food production. I'm reluctant to create new difficulty settings since I don't know whether the AI actually behaves different with the different difficulties, and I'm worried it might default to some "normal" setting if I try to implement a harder setting. I think the problem isn't the amount of cash the AI has but how it spends it.  As far as I can tell, the AI spends money buying random buildings on its colonies and doesn't really make intelligent purchase decisions.  This is something the devs should look at.  

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

jasonwclark #45 Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:17 PM

Commander

• Players

I have noticed a number of partially constructed AI buildings when I take over enemy colonies. Sometimes they'll be like 2 or 3 partially built. I'm wondering if the AI uses the build queue, if they are ever buying out buildings, or if it maybe has to do with their management of pollution? They do seem to ride the razor's edge on that, as almost every colony I've taken over is pretty deep into the red on pollution. 

I think it would be worth creating a custom difficulty level, if only to use it as a control. Since then we could have something to serve as a baseline to measure the AI behavior against when playbalancing the mods. That way we could say, even if we don't know how the AI will perform on the default difficulty levels, at least we know that the custom difficulty level will perform in such and such a way.

jasonwclark #46 Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:18 PM

Commander

• Players

With a few games under my belt now, I can say that this mod definitely makes the gameplay on the campaign map a lot more interesting.

In the vanilla game, once you've broken into a system the ensuing combats within that system are not terribly dynamic. Under normal conditions, either the enemy has a fleet in range capable of destroying you (in which case you're toast) or they don't  (in which case you take over or nuke all their planets in fairly short order.) Not so with this mod.

Here, particularly when orbital batteries are in play, you will often find yourself in a situation where an enemy fleet that might otherwise destroy you can be held at bay if you camp out at a planet with strong defenses. Or similarly, an enemy fleet that you could easily crush by itself, might be way too powerful to take on if it is parked alongside a planet with a star/missile base. 

This makes conducting a campaign within a system much more dynamic and fun than it would be under vanilla conditions. Instead of steamrolling around, you really have to wage war one planet at a time, (instead of one system at time, which seemed to be the case before.) Basically you have to approach it in stepping stones, or you'll get smoked.

So far I have been playing on the custom difficulty setting +100 to everything except food, and it's pretty entertaining. The lack of the food bonus doesn't seem to have a huge impact on the AI's ability to still develop large populations. The Mrrshan in particular are doing much better, owing I'm sure to the upgrade of their homeworld to terran. Usually in the vanilla game they were constantly riding the razors edge one step away from extinction. Now they are frequently contenders on the Galactic council. 

I've also been playing my favorite known galaxy 1480, which is nice, because it really shows how much better the AI is doing. Or how the different start conditions are playing out now, compared to the same galaxy under the vanilla game.

It's just a much better play experience all around. So thanks again for drafting these mods.

I look forward to seeing all these mods packaged together so they're easier to load up. And also so we can get a single feedback thread going. But so far so good!

Nice work

Also, I see a new patch it out. Going to make a clean reinstall to see what they did in isolation. And will likely re-download the mods after that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users