Diplomacy/Spying Mod

Diplomacy Spying Mod

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Spud_Dastardly #1 Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:10 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

This mod is no longer actively supported and may not function on the latest version of the game.  It has been replaced with my new mega mod: 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod, which you can get here:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=797954504

http://www.nexusmods.com/masteroforionconquerthestars/mods/6/?

Original Post:

Spoiler

Edited by Spud_Dastardly, 12 November 2016 - 11:12 AM.

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

Setlec #2 Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:23 PM

Ensign

• Players

i love your mods! thx mate!

Summon3r #3 Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:01 PM

Commander

• Players
more great stuff

Setlec #4 Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:11 PM

Ensign

• Players

for a name the "Community Edition Balance mod" or "Spud's Balance mod"

Edited by Setlec, 02 October 2016 - 04:14 PM.

jasonwclark #5 Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:51 PM

Commander

• Players

Neah don't go for the same old same old in a name. Pick a short name that'll be catchy or which can be shortened to a catchy acronym. You know like...

X4

Dastardly's: D

Overlord: O

of Orion: O

Modification: M

DOOM1, DOOM2, DOOM3, DOOM4

Singularity: S

DOOM'S 4X 

Doctor up your MOO game with the DOOM package? You know, something like that. Haha

Or give each individual mod a cool codename, so they all spell something clever when put together into a singular Singularity package.

There's always a million mods called Somebody's ultimate whatever mod. Or Balanced Mod by yadda yadda. Go for something with solar flair in the acronym, that's my suggestion!

And nice work man!

Skaughtey #6 Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:08 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
Ooo I missed the line in globals about battlefield size. I hate how small it is now! Where is the line that I need to change? I could probably find it after awhile on my own but it will be a few days before I have time to look myself so I thought I'd ask.

drewklar #7 Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:35 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 02 October 2016 - 03:10 PM, said:

• The AI no longer takes offense if you catch one of their spies.  I was surprised to learn simply catching a spy caused any penalty at all.

Great work on the mods, Spud.  That one issue you fixed above is just one example of the many bizarre feature choices in this game.

I have some suggestions, in interest of saving you time, and also as I've had experience supporting community mods myself for a different game:   I would hold off on the combination mod, as at some point soon the developers are supposed to "officially" release modding support.  We will have to see if that means they will document what the variables in the yaml files do, if not self-explanatory.

After they release the "modding support" then at that point you could plan on releasing the combination mod and also perhaps additional documentation on what the game parameters do, in case the developers leave anything important out (which I'm sure they will).

Then going forward your mod should be documentation-only.  The reason being is that each time you release a combination mod, and the developers decide to patch the game, then the community will be expecting you to make updates to your combination mod ASAP.

Instead if you have documentation-only then people can take to modding the games themselves after each update, and then post up or share their modded files if they so wish (unsupported, of course).  That way you don't have to spend time on the unpaid job of having to keep your mods up to date.

I've supported community mods before and turned into a lot of work, having to fix my mods with each patch.  And if there is some glitch or issue in the mod update the community is not very understanding (which I found out the hard way).

A Wiki-like page for describing how to mod the game and explanations for what's in the yaml files might even be more useful, that way you don't have to document the modding features all by yourself.

EmperorFredd #8 Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:21 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
Another set of great ideas, Spud.  How about making the AI not get mad when you decline to share charts?  I hate that.  I don't want theirs and I don't want to give them what they need to invoke strikes and poison the food supply on all my planets.  When I see who will be friendly, then I sometimes trade, but it sucks to get off on the wrong foot with the AI early because they want to trade charts and I don't want to, especially before I cna put embassies in and start trade treaties.

Spud_Dastardly #9 Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:25 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

I'm glad you all are enjoying my mods!  I'm still trying to come up with cool name.  I think jasonwclark is right about avoiding generic names like Spud's Balance Mod.

View PostSkaughtey, on 02 October 2016 - 06:08 PM, said:

Ooo I missed the line in globals about battlefield size. I hate how small it is now! Where is the line that I need to change? I could probably find it after awhile on my own but it will be a few days before I have time to look myself so I thought I'd ask.

It's at the very bottom of the Globals.yaml file.

View Postdrewklar, on 02 October 2016 - 06:35 PM, said:

Great work on the mods, Spud.  That one issue you fixed above is just one example of the many bizarre feature choices in this game.

I have some suggestions, in interest of saving you time, and also as I've had experience supporting community mods myself for a different game:   I would hold off on the combination mod, as at some point soon the developers are supposed to "officially" release modding support.  We will have to see if that means they will document what the variables in the yaml files do, if not self-explanatory.

After they release the "modding support" then at that point you could plan on releasing the combination mod and also perhaps additional documentation on what the game parameters do, in case the developers leave anything important out (which I'm sure they will).

Then going forward your mod should be documentation-only.  The reason being is that each time you release a combination mod, and the developers decide to patch the game, then the community will be expecting you to make updates to your combination mod ASAP.

Instead if you have documentation-only then people can take to modding the games themselves after each update, and then post up or share their modded files if they so wish (unsupported, of course).  That way you don't have to spend time on the unpaid job of having to keep your mods up to date.

I've supported community mods before and turned into a lot of work, having to fix my mods with each patch.  And if there is some glitch or issue in the mod update the community is not very understanding (which I found out the hard way).

A Wiki-like page for describing how to mod the game and explanations for what's in the yaml files might even be more useful, that way you don't have to document the modding features all by yourself.

This is some good advice; thank you!  I was already planning to wait until the next patch, but your point about the documentation so that I don't have to do all the work is a very smart idea, since I don't know that I'll always have the time or inclination to update the mod.

View PostEmperorFredd, on 02 October 2016 - 07:21 PM, said:

Another set of great ideas, Spud.  How about making the AI not get mad when you decline to share charts?  I hate that.  I don't want theirs and I don't want to give them what they need to invoke strikes and poison the food supply on all my planets.  When I see who will be friendly, then I sometimes trade, but it sucks to get off on the wrong foot with the AI early because they want to trade charts and I don't want to, especially before I cna put embassies in and start trade treaties.

I believe this mod already does that as well, though I haven't tested it.  The parameter I changed was something like "reject_generic_deal," which covers I think all trade agreements (but not treaties, gifts, or demands).

Archont4000 #10 Posted 04 October 2016 - 06:19 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostEmperorFredd, on 02 October 2016 - 10:21 PM, said:

Share charts shares only info about planets, not colonies, right?

Spud_Dastardly #11 Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:48 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
Share charts reveals planets, not colonies.  However, if you have a military base set up and your opponent has not explored the planets, then visiting the outpost does not reveal any colonies in the system for them if they don't have deep scanner.  If they received the planet info from share charts, then they can see your colony once they go to the military base, so there's no way to prevent them from spying on you at that point.

Spud_Dastardly #12 Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:34 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

Version 1.1 update:

Slightly reduced the risk factor of spying again, made trade and research treaties cheaper to help the AI afford them.

Also tagged with Diplomacy, Spying, Mod

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users