Endless Space 2 EA is out!!!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Vahouth #1 Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:35 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

Very light, very smooth, no FPS drop, no hiccups, no nothing! It runs a lot faster than the previous game!

First impressions really good so far and I'm really enjoying the new government mechanics, policies etc.

Edited by Vahouth, 06 October 2016 - 08:36 PM.

JeanBaptisteEmanuelZorg #2 Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:14 PM

Captain

• Players
Sounds good. How do you feel about comparing it to Stellaris?

"Nice pictures, nice UI, balance and a good AI" © "This is no mine, it's a tomb!"

Poll from Zorg : Combat is the Core for MOO Universe 4x Strategy

Poll from Zorg : No LOOT in MOO/CtS

Vahouth #3 Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:42 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

It's another kind of beast altogether.

Stellaris sees the big picture, with amazing variety in races, bigger galaxies, more tools to interact with other races, from Fallen Empires to Primitives etc... but every game is similar in a way.

The gameplay doesn't change too much unlike ES2. Every race exploits the same things in the same order or value and phenotypes don't help either as they are purely cosmetic.

ES 2 is also very heavy story driven, in fact every race has it's own event chain, it feels more personal than Stellaris though and you feel more like governing your race since it's them that decide what kind of party they want in the government, which policies to enact ASOASF.

Also every race plays differently and that to me is its strongest asset.

-The Sophons, the most "normal" of the initial 4, are the brainiacs of the game. They get bonus a science for every field they're the first to research, have the fastest ships and can see the end of the starlanes.

-The Cravers are like Locust. They literally devour their planets and then move on, they are always at war and their ruling party is the Militarists.

-The Vodyani are "space vampires" that do not live on planets but inside giant Arks (biggest ships in the game so far) in orbit, and they don't consume food but the essence of people on the planets they rule. Their ruling party is Religious.

-The last race of the EA is the Lumeris. They are the traders of the game and the only ones that can buy planets instead of colonizing them. They can also sell them as well. They're rulling party is the Pacifists.

Having said that, I love both games.

Edited by Vahouth, 06 October 2016 - 09:45 PM.

RayFowler #4 Posted 09 October 2016 - 03:53 PM

Commander

• Players
Big problem is that ship combat is really just a cut scene with no player input.
Master of Orion fan since 1993

Vahouth #5 Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:41 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

View PostRayFowler, on 09 October 2016 - 05:53 PM, said:

Big problem is that ship combat is really just a cut scene with no player input.

Yeah, true, but some people don't mind that. I know I don't. 

And don't get me wrong, I love tactical combat, but I don't need every 4X game that I own to have it in.

I can still enjoy it. :)

Lucian667 #6 Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:02 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostRayFowler, on 09 October 2016 - 03:53 PM, said:

Yep, *huge* problem. I hear that space combat is even duller and more hands-off than the original....... if that's even possible since the original was just like watching a movie and playing a few cards. I guess they got rid of the cards.

Vahouth #7 Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:13 AM

Vice Admiral

• Players

Welcome back Lucian! :)

Yeah, combat is not yet properly implemented. Many things are still missing, from more camera modes to choosing battlefield, multiple ship tacticts, reinforcement placement etc. Right now, it's pretty much the visual representation of the the autoresolve. Nothing more.

The best thing for me about the game though is the asymmetric playstyle of each and every race. 

Lucian667 #8 Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:35 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostVahouth, on 10 October 2016 - 05:13 AM, said:

Welcome back Lucian! :)

Yeah, combat is not yet properly implemented. Many things are still missing, from more camera modes to choosing battlefield, multiple ship tacticts, reinforcement placement etc. Right now, it's pretty much the visual representation of the the autoresolve. Nothing more.

The best thing for me about the game though is the asymmetric playstyle of each and every race. 

Hey Vahouth, I do check these forums every month or so but now that the deed is well and truly done with MOO-Cts I haven't really felt much need to comment on anything because I never did purchase the game and don't ever really plan to. I ended up getting Stellaris instead which is already light-years ahead of MOO4 even though it could do with a bit more content (looking forward to Heinlein).

I do find the whole idea of asymmetric play interesting in Endless Space 2 and I hear that you can rapidly research free movement too which allows you to move away from those horribly constricting starlanes. The space combat is sadly a big turnoff but the rest sounds kinda interesting. I'll be looking at quite a few reviews of the finished product to see if its worth picking up.

Vahouth #9 Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:31 AM

Vice Admiral

• Players

So far ES2 gives me the impression that starlanes are only an early to mid game movement mechanism.

How soon can you research warp drive you say? Well, the tech that unlocks off-lane travel could be the very first one you choose!

That's because the galaxy is divided in constellations which are not connected at all, and the only way to travel between them is by off-lane travel!

Also the player can send probes (that don't use starlanes) in any direction to discover stars outside your constellation.

This is particularily strong for the Lumeris faction. Since they don't need colony ships, they can colonize any suitable planet they discovered as long as they can pay for it!

So far, I'm enjoying it far more than I thought I would for an EA game. :)

Edited by Vahouth, 11 October 2016 - 11:11 AM.

JeanBaptisteEmanuelZorg #10 Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:32 AM

Captain

• Players

View PostLucian667, on 11 October 2016 - 05:35 AM, said:

the deed is well and truly done with MOO-Cts I haven't really felt much need to comment on anything because I never did purchase the game and don't ever really plan to. I ended up getting Stellaris instead which is already light-years ahead of MOO4 even though it could do with a bit more content (looking forward to Heinlein).

+++ Stellaris is the best !!! btw spacesector.com have decided to make their own project.  "Our mission, with Project Space Sector, is to develop a spiritual successor to Master of Orion 2, the turn-based space 4X strategy game from the 90’s that we love so much. A faithful successor, that is true in spirit to the series, but one that manages to offer something new (and this is important)."

did someone try "Stars in Shadow" ? Such a pity CtS does not meet my requirements as a MOO1-2 fan. =(

"Nice pictures, nice UI, balance and a good AI" © "This is no mine, it's a tomb!"

Poll from Zorg : Combat is the Core for MOO Universe 4x Strategy

Poll from Zorg : No LOOT in MOO/CtS

fourteenfour #11 Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:18 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
anyone playing ES2 currently?
Wargaming Labs, taking the money and running. Abandons MOO CTS after their contract development staff could not deliver without ever one word to players.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users