Less Frustrating Mod

Mods Colony Base Volcanic Cooling Jump Gate Weapon Slots Customizing Ships

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

trbeier #1 Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:48 PM

Captain

• Players

This is my first mod and I would like your feedback, but go easy on me.  ;-)

I call it the less frustrating mod because I didn't want to change too much, I just wanted to fix the issues that bothered me (and many of you).  What are the issues?

1. I don't like that at the beginning of the game you colonize a planet and you have no production and no money to buy a factory.
  2. I don't see why we are limited to 3 types of weapons on a frigate.
  3. I don't like that we can't terraform a volcanic planet.
  4. I don't like that we can't go from any of our star systems to another, directly.
  5. I got tired of redesigning my ships every time to include torpedoes.

If that sounds good to you, you can get it here.

1. So... yes.  Back by popular demand, all colony ships come with colony bases that give minimal food, production and research on all new colonies!

2. All ship types now have 8 slots of both specials and weapons.

3. I want to thank Spud for all of his hard work making mods.  I haven't actually had the time to play any of them, but I did go through most of them to see what and how he did things.  While I did start with all original yaml files, I did borrow the volcanic cooling from him.  Is that allowed?  As long as I give him credit, right?

4. I added Jump Gate technology to the beginning of the game.  You still have to build your own space factory, but you can build jump gates whenever you have the time & factory to do so.

5. Since I gave all ships 8 slots, I thought I might as well use them.  So, I have expanded each hull type to use every type of weapon.  The smaller ships now will contain all 4 types of weapons (Beam, Torpedoes, Missiles, & Cannon), and the bigger ones will contain 2 sets of them (one set fully loaded, one set basic).  Now I am going on the principle here that it is easier to remove what you don't want than to add.  So on Cruisers and above, it gives you two sets of beam weapons, one heavy mount, enveloping, and one without.  This also means that when you get a new beam weapon, it gives you the new one on the without slot, and the old one modified.  Then when you research the modifications you get the new one on both.  This should give maximum firepower and flexibility.

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments or suggestions.  :-)

“Impossible is not a word. It's just a reason for someone not to try.”
- Kutless

Spud_Dastardly #2 Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:48 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
Nice changes.  Feel free to borrow my stuff for your mod.  I had thought about re-enabling the production and research on the colony base for my mods, but I hadn't decided whether to do it yet.  I like that you improved the ship auto-design.  That's something I've been meaning to get around to.  

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

Partythenwork #3 Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:01 PM

Commander

• Players

call me lazy but how do i use your mod with the one that has planets orbiting wormholes and the only that has gas giants with moons?

those two features seem like they should be in the base game

Partythenwork #4 Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:56 PM

Commander

• Players
also maybe i am doing this wrong, but i went ahead and created a folder in the mods directory and when i go and play master of orion it doesn't look like the mods you mentioned are active.  do i have to go to the mods directory and turn the mod to active?  then go back and launch single player?

trbeier #5 Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:08 PM

Captain

• Players

To be honest, I am not having much luck with mods working with this new build.  In theory, yes, you create a folder in the mods directory, and put my files in (but move the stuff in the ShipData directory up, and get rid of the empty directory).  Or, better yet, go onto steam, and in the workshop you will find the Less Frustrating Mod and subscribe to it.  You can also subscribe to the wormhole mod (I think it is called black hole?), and I would guess they should be compatible as I don't change any galaxy mod files, just ship, colony and tech.

In the Mods screen of the game, you will see the one in the Mods directory as Local, and the other one from steam as Workshop.  Activate or deactivate which ever you want.

I am finding that I can't get the Single Player menu, and I am giving up trying until the next build.  Hopefully you have better luck.

- Kutless

Partythenwork #6 Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:23 PM

Commander

• Players

View Posttrbeier, on 03 November 2016 - 10:08 PM, said:

To be honest, I am not having much luck with mods working with this new build.  In theory, yes, you create a folder in the mods directory, and put my files in (but move the stuff in the ShipData directory up, and get rid of the empty directory).  Or, better yet, go onto steam, and in the workshop you will find the Less Frustrating Mod and subscribe to it.  You can also subscribe to the wormhole mod (I think it is called black hole?), and I would guess they should be compatible as I don't change any galaxy mod files, just ship, colony and tech.

In the Mods screen of the game, you will see the one in the Mods directory as Local, and the other one from steam as Workshop.  Activate or deactivate which ever you want.

I am finding that I can't get the Single Player menu, and I am giving up trying until the next build.  Hopefully you have better luck.

okay these are the same issues i am having.  i'll have to see if spud has thing working.

a lot of these common issues should be options imho... like gas giants with moons... that should be a toggle advanced option.  the same thing with wormholes with planets around it.

trbeier #7 Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:40 PM

Captain

• Players
Yes, I just renamed the Mods directory, unsubscribed from all mods, and turned off the mod upload tool, and finally I my mod in the GameplayData is finally working again.  Unfortunately, i don't know where the mods subscribed to download, and if they can be copied to there as well.  But at least I can work on mods again.  :-)
- Kutless

Spud_Dastardly #8 Posted 04 November 2016 - 01:31 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostPartythenwork, on 04 November 2016 - 06:23 AM, said:

okay these are the same issues i am having.  i'll have to see if spud has thing working.

a lot of these common issues should be options imho... like gas giants with moons... that should be a toggle advanced option.  the same thing with wormholes with planets around it.

I sent my mods to the devs, and they said they found the problem and will have it fixed in an upcoming hotfix.  Hopefully that will fix everyone's issues.

trbeier #9 Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:14 AM

Captain

• Players

What is a good ship configuration?

I put the 4 weapon types balanced, and it really comes up with some weird ship designs.  So I thought I would alternate and make Frigates, Cruisers & Titans long range ships with more Torpedoes, Cannons and Missiles; and Destroyers and Battleships short range with Beams & Cannons.  Does that sound right?

Does putting the weapons as side mount keep the ships circling at long range and therefore not move in closer?

- Kutless

trbeier #10 Posted 05 November 2016 - 01:30 AM

Captain

• Players
Oh...  Did I mention that all ships now have shields?  Yes!  So later in the game your scouts, space factories, colony ships, etc, have may have a chance to retreat!  :-)
- Kutless

Spud_Dastardly #11 Posted 05 November 2016 - 02:40 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

I'm not sure about the ideal ship designs.  I used to use all missiles but they made them weaker in the latest patch, and I haven't had a chance to experiment with different builds.  Torpedoes are effective against stationary targets and large ships, and so I think they would be best to equip on battleships and titans which move slowly and have a greater tendency to engage targets at a distance.  Frigates and destroyers are fast and can fight close up, so I think beams and cannons are ideal for them.  The problem with missiles is that if you have just a few of them, PD weapons can easily shoot them down, so you kind of have to go all or nothing with missiles. 

Partythenwork #12 Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:52 PM

Commander

• Players

have you been able to figure out how to allow black holes to have planets and orbits?

i have been playing around with editing the StarTypes.yaml file without luck.  i gave black holes a similar profile to a red star but no planets populated.  i know this is possible because i have seen a mod out there where you can do it but i didn't see any downloadable files

trbeier #13 Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:39 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostPartythenwork, on 08 November 2016 - 10:52 AM, said:

have you been able to figure out how to allow black holes to have planets and orbits?

i have been playing around with editing the StarTypes.yaml file without luck.  i gave black holes a similar profile to a red star but no planets populated.  i know this is possible because i have seen a mod out there where you can do it but i didn't see any downloadable files

I haven't looked into it.  I thought black holes pull everything into it, so how can it have a planet orbiting it?  Plus, it doesn't produce light needed for life.  It doesn't make sense to me.   But, if enough people ask for it, I'll look into it.
- Kutless

Spud_Dastardly #14 Posted 09 November 2016 - 01:46 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostPartythenwork, on 09 November 2016 - 02:52 AM, said:

No idea, sorry.  I once tried messing with that but couldn't get the galaxy to spawn properly.  I think you can just install that mod through the mods menu in game.

Gzkejyhkhn #15 Posted 22 December 2017 - 03:13 PM

Ensign

• Players

View Posttrbeier, on 08 November 2016 - 08:39 PM, said:

I haven't looked into it.  I thought black holes pull everything into it, so how can it have a planet orbiting it?  Plus, it doesn't produce light needed for life.  It doesn't make sense to me.   But, if enough people ask for it, I'll look into it.

Well, they don't really pull anything in any special way. If the Sun turned into a black hole right now (without an increase in its mass), the Earth would stay on its orbit exactly like before. Of course, it wouldn't remain as habitable though.

A semi-realistic approach for this in a game like this would be to randomize a number for star's energy output, and perhaps what sort of radiation comes out, and then checking how far the planet is, and a set of rules and calculations would determine how habitable it is in that regard. Like, without enough sunlight there wouldn't be a biosphere (at least without enough technological intervention of some sort) and with too much sunlight the planet would be a boiling inferno (which can't be changed without technological intervention). I typed semi-realistic, but it'd be closer to how it works in reality and it'd also be fairly simple, since it's only basic-ish math.

I suppose it'd also affect production and credits through solar energy. I wonder if anyone's implemented something like that in a game.

Gzkejyhkhn #16 Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:18 PM

Ensign

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 09 November 2016 - 01:46 AM, said:

No idea, sorry.  I once tried messing with that but couldn't get the galaxy to spawn properly.  I think you can just install that mod through the mods menu in game.

Ya need to edit three files.

Firstly, add the biomes for the wormholes in BiomeChances.yaml per galaxy age:

Spoiler

Secondly, the planetary densities in PlanetaryDensityPackages.yaml per density setting:

Spoiler

Thirdly, edit the star type to have orbits and planets in StarTypes.yaml:

Spoiler

(I didn't change the system_view_prefabs values because I don't know if there's one for black holes)

And voilà!

Spoiler

Partythenwork #17 Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:07 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostGzkejyhkhn, on 22 December 2017 - 05:18 PM, said:

Ya need to edit three files.

Firstly, add the biomes for the wormholes in BiomeChances.yaml per galaxy age:

Spoiler

Secondly, the planetary densities in PlanetaryDensityPackages.yaml per density setting:

Spoiler

Thirdly, edit the star type to have orbits and planets in StarTypes.yaml:

Spoiler

(I didn't change the system_view_prefabs values because I don't know if there's one for black holes)

And voilà!

Spoiler

you will also have to edit the GalaxyAges.yaml file to include the 'civNeighbourhoodChances' so that when you spawn initially you won't spawn at a wormhole/blackhole if the blackhole has planets

civNeighbourhoodChances:
                - starType: star_blue_white
                  chance: 10
                - starType: star_white
                  chance: 10
                - starType: star_yellow
                  chance: 20
                - starType: star_orange
                  chance: 25
                - starType: star_red
                  chance: 30
                - starType: star_brown
                  chance: 5

Edited by Partythenwork, 02 January 2018 - 01:14 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users