MODS Feedback

Mods

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

jasonwclark #21 Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:34 PM

Commander

• Players

Are the developers still reading this?

I was wondering why you didn't release this with local mods only to the Early Access group first?  Then once we had all the bugs worked out then you could release it with the steam workshop.  The way it is now I have 105 subscribers who are angry with me that my mod is not working, and there is nothing I can do. 

I wasted half of my week off on this, and I have very little to show for it.

Well from the other side of things, as a player who just wants to use the mods, I'm worried that by the time the more interesting mods are available using this platform, people will be lost in a maze of material, and unable to determine which mods are compatible with which other mods. It's only been a little over a week and there are already like 30 mods up, bleeding over onto the second page, most of which change only one or two things. 

What's frustrating is that the people who did the most work in the lead up to this patch, to create more comprehensive modifications, seem to be the ones stuck waiting on a hotfix. So the material that would really have showcased the potential of a modded game, is the exact stuff we can't access yet. 

It would have been better if this was rolled out in a pre-release, with some time for people to get oriented and test the system, and not made to dovetail a patch that involved major changes to the core game. 

Personally I was hoping for a patch that included more new content, rather than a rework of the existing mechanics.

trbeier #22 Posted 14 November 2016 - 06:03 AM

Captain

• Players

More frustrations....  I thought I would make my own versions of the Advanced colony ship.  One with just a hydroponic farm, for barren planets.  One with a hydroponic farm and a toxic processor, for toxic planets.  One with a hydroponic farm and a radiation shield, for radiated planets.  And one with a gravity generator, for other high / low gravity planets.

Unfortunately, even though I copied it everywhere the original was, it wouldn't show up on the build list.  I should have guessed.  Another day wasted....

“Impossible is not a word. It's just a reason for someone not to try.”
- Kutless

Spud_Dastardly #23 Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:59 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View Posttrbeier, on 14 November 2016 - 02:03 PM, said:

More frustrations....  I thought I would make my own versions of the Advanced colony ship.  One with just a hydroponic farm, for barren planets.  One with a hydroponic farm and a toxic processor, for toxic planets.  One with a hydroponic farm and a radiation shield, for radiated planets.  And one with a gravity generator, for other high / low gravity planets.

Unfortunately, even though I copied it everywhere the original was, it wouldn't show up on the build list.  I should have guessed.  Another day wasted....

Creating new ships is tough.  You have to specify the model of the ship in ShipHullModels.yaml, and you have to set the model for every race, and I'm not sure which yaml has those settings.  So far I haven't gotten any new ships to work except my new planetary defenses.

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

trbeier #24 Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:31 AM

Captain

• Players

So, I thought I would change the tech given for diplomats, I thought Xeno Relations would be more appropriate, so they could establish embassies and build spy centers.  But of course it wouldn't let me do that for some reason.

I also thought that subterranean should come with subterranean farms, but I didn't even bother trying that one.  Will we be able to do this in the future?

- Kutless

Spud_Dastardly #25 Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:55 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

If you give a race a starting tech, they don't actually get that tech until they've unlocked all of the previous techs leading to it.  For example, if you play a pre-warp game as the Bulrathi, you don't start with Biology, but you get it automatically once you research space travel.  If you want diplomat to start with xeno relations, then you need to create a new hidden tech node in the tech tree that gives you the same research.  For example, this is what I added to the techtree.yaml in order to give jump gate as a starting tech:

Spoiler

That said, currently there is a bug with the composite race traits.  If you remove government, for example, as a starting tech for diplomat and then give diplomat to a race, then that race will start with government anyway.  So you have to create an entirely new composite trait in order to get the composite trait you want.

breckwilhite #26 Posted 18 November 2016 - 04:21 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

Actually, I was able to get your idea of Diplomat starting with Xeno Relations instead of Government and it did affect all other races with Diplomat. With Omniscience activated, I was able to click on their home world to see if they had to research Government before unlocking Xeno Relations and, indeed, I found that the Darloks and Humans were both researching Government after Space Travel. If you would like, I can post the code for you so you can see what I did.

Oh, and I did take screen shots, if you would like to see them.

Edited by breckwilhite, 18 November 2016 - 04:22 PM.

trbeier #27 Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:11 PM

Captain

• Players

Thanks Spud, I was able to create the starting techs that I want.  However, there are a couple of problems:

1.  I give them them the tech I want, but they still have to research it on the tree.  It doesn't matter if I give them one of two or three, or if I give them the whole branch, they still have to research it.  I know it would be easier to give them the whole branch then, and I will probably do that, but it is an annoyance that it doesn't recognize that they have it, like it does when you trade tech, it shows that you have it, so you don't have to research it.

2.  For some odd reason the Silicoids are not working.

a)  The lithovore wasn't working, but it seemed to be another mod that was "disabled" was still causing the problem.

b)  It seems that if my TechTree.yaml is active, the game won't start, it hangs before the press any key.

Any Ideas?

Also, has anyone had success uploading updates to Steam yet?  Or do we just have to post a new mod with a version number?

- Kutless

trbeier #28 Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:26 PM

Captain

• Players
Oh...  What is going on now!!!  I tested every single race, and they all worked, except for the Silicoids.  Now I go back to play a full game as Darlok and it won't let me in.  There is no reason why, no debugging tools.  I am tired of wasting my time trying to create mods with them not working and no real help from the developers.  I have had enough!  Until they have some debugging tools, I give up!!!
- Kutless

breckwilhite #29 Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:29 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
I use the output_log.text for debugging though it isn't perfect. Also, post what you have and let us take a look at what you have. We were actually working together yesterday on this.

breckwilhite #30 Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:30 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
Sorry, output_log.txt

trbeier #31 Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:34 PM

Captain

• Players

Sounds good.  Where do I find this log?

- Kutless

breckwilhite #32 Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:35 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
As far as updating an existing mod,I did ask them if they would add that feature. My problem is that I cannot upload any mods at all and I don't know if it is just me or everyone

breckwilhite #33 Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:37 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
It is in the MasterOfOrion_something folder with all the resources, assets, and other folders, like Gameplaydata or whatever it is called. I'm on my phone or else I would look

trbeier #34 Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:48 PM

Captain

• Players

Found it.  I think I found something.  Thanks!

- Kutless

trbeier #35 Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:58 AM

Captain

• Players
This game is bothering me more every time.  The races have become so washed together, that you can barely tell them apart.  I am trying with this mod to give distinct advantages to each race to see if the smart can survive against the strong.  So, I gave the Darlok super spy powers, but they don't work!  The Psilon's are even more handicapped than before, and I kept increasing the Darlok espionage benefits until they went from 0.2 (i think) up to 0.3, 0.6. 1.0, 3.0, and no difference!  Why do I bother with this game?
- Kutless

Spud_Dastardly #36 Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:27 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View Posttrbeier, on 21 November 2016 - 04:11 AM, said:

Thanks Spud, I was able to create the starting techs that I want.  However, there are a couple of problems:

1.  I give them them the tech I want, but they still have to research it on the tree.  It doesn't matter if I give them one of two or three, or if I give them the whole branch, they still have to research it.  I know it would be easier to give them the whole branch then, and I will probably do that, but it is an annoyance that it doesn't recognize that they have it, like it does when you trade tech, it shows that you have it, so you don't have to research it.

2.  For some odd reason the Silicoids are not working.

a)  The lithovore wasn't working, but it seemed to be another mod that was "disabled" was still causing the problem.

b)  It seems that if my TechTree.yaml is active, the game won't start, it hangs before the press any key.

Any Ideas?

Also, has anyone had success uploading updates to Steam yet?  Or do we just have to post a new mod with a version number?

Not sure what the problem is.  I'd have to look at your files to see what you did.  We can't upload updates to Steam, so you have to post a new version.  What do you mean by your Darlok super spying not working?  As in the bonus doesn't show up on their race?

breckwilhite #37 Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:28 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
Like Spud, I want to help but I would need to see the yaml files to really help out. Upload it to Google Drive or Dropbox and post the download link.

trbeier #38 Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:46 PM

Captain

• Players

Hi Guys.  It seems as though they have disabled spies in the latest build.  The only thing a spy can do is Acquire Data, everything else they get caught.  I increased their spying power by 1500% and no difference.

I have updated the files on my website, this mod is at:  http://tonybeier.com...rentRaces2b.zip

Thanks!  :-)

- Kutless

trbeier #39 Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:22 PM

Captain

• Players
Hey guys!  Check out my warp speed mod, I just posted on Steam.  Great for beta testing.  I'll post it on my website for downloading later.
- Kutless

trbeier #40 Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:54 AM

Captain

• Players

How much is too little?

I try to keep all my mods trimmed so that they don't conflict with other mods.  For example:

- collection: &Backend.Galaxy.GalaxyModels.GalaxyType
    items:
        - key: galaxy_circle
          name: GALAXY_TYPE_CIRCLE
          galaxySizes:
            - key: small_circle_galaxy
              name: CIRCULAR_GALAXY_SIZE_SMALL
              maxPlayerCount: 9
            - key: medium_circle_galaxy
              name: CIRCULAR_GALAXY_SIZE_MEDIUM
              maxPlayerCount: 9

The problem is we don't know what information is required.  It would be nice if the developers would put comments into the sample mod files so that we know what is required, what is optional, and what ranges the values have to be in.  Example:

###  Required

- key: small_circle_galaxy
              name: CIRCULAR_GALAXY_SIZE_SMALL      # No symbols, quotes, spaces, max 10 chars.
              closeGalaxyPrefab: ContentPrefabs/Galaxy/Visuals/Glxy_small_spiral_close.prefab
              farGalaxyPrefab: ContentPrefabs/Galaxy/Visuals/Glxy_small_spiral_far.prefab
              contentPath: GameplayData/GalaxyGenerationTables/SmallCircleGalaxy.bin
              distributionMethod: LeastDistanceDistribution

###  Optional
              civDegreesOfSepparation: 3                   # Min 1, Max 10
              maxDegreesOfSepparation: 7                # Range:  1 - 10
              cameraOffset: 115
              minorCivCount: 2
              monsterCount: 2
              minBlackHoles: 1
              maxBlackHoles: 1
              blackHoleSeparation: 5
              maxPlayerCount: 6                                  #  There are only 9 slots on the New Game screen, and only 10 races.  11 or higher will crash it.
              recommendedPlayerCount: 4
              earlyGamePlanetCount: 1

###  Required
              sectors:
                - minStarCount: 32
                  maxStarCount: 35

###  Optional
                  starLaneReach: 4
                  maxWarpGates: 5
                  minGateProximity: 30
                  minBlueHoops: 3
                  minRedHoops: 3
                  blueLaneImprovement: 0.8
                  redLaneImprovement: 0
                  minSolarDistance: 1.5
                  allowMajorCivs: true
                  allowMinorCivs: true
                  allowPirates: true
                  allowMonsters: true
                  allowBlackHoles: true
                  allowOrion: true

Edited by trbeier, 24 November 2016 - 07:56 AM.

- Kutless

Also tagged with Mods

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users