Having Problems with Getting Local Mods to work

mods

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Partythenwork #1 Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:29 AM

Commander

• Players

hi all,

i have been editing the yaml files from the modding directory and i just wanted to start off the game with jump gates enabled, so i went ahead and edited the techtree.yaml file and then created a directory in mods called "MyMod".  i added the file in there and then loaded up Master of Orion and enabled the mod.

when i go ahead to test out the game, it doesn't work.  in fact, it seems that no matter where i shuffle stuff around nothing seems to move on the tree tree when i click on the research tab to view the entire tech tree.

is there something else i am missing that i need to do to test out a local mod?

Spud_Dastardly #2 Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:12 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
The mods folder is not working properly.  We're waiting on a hotfix to fix it.  In the mean time, you can test yamls by moving them to the GameplayData folder located in Master of Orion/MasterOfOrion_Data/StreamingAssets/GameplayData.

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

trbeier #3 Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:12 AM

Captain

• Players

Let me say it this way.  The new modding system doesn't work!

I have spent half of last week trying to figure it out and have given up.  If you have any luck, you are doing better than me.  Spud is also having problems with it.  We are waiting on the a hotfix for the problem before we do anything with it.

If you remove all of the new modding system, you can still put your mod in the GameplayData directory, and it should work.

BTW, my Less Frustrating Mod on the workshop has jumpgates from the start, as well as several other things that frustrate me.

See:  http://forum.mastero...rustrating-mod/

Hope that helps.  :-)

“Impossible is not a word. It's just a reason for someone not to try.”
- Kutless

trbeier #4 Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:13 AM

Captain

• Players
Hey Spud, great timing.  Jinx!  ;-)
- Kutless

Spud_Dastardly #5 Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:15 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

I know right?  I've never posted within 3 seconds of someone before xD

By the way, did you notice they added in Advanced Jump Gates?  You have to enable it in the tech tree though.

fourteenfour #6 Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:00 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
odd, it is one of the few features to actually work in OS X (making folders in the mod directory)
Wargaming Labs, taking the money and running. Abandons MOO CTS after their contract development staff could not deliver without ever one word to players.

Spud_Dastardly #7 Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:04 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
Only certain yamls don't work fourteenfour.  Does modding the RaceTypes.yaml or Techtree.yaml work for you?

Partythenwork #8 Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:52 PM

Commander

• Players

how do you get jump gates from the beginning?

i moved application: techapp_jump_gate_orbital to the technode_root in the techtree.yaml file and it doesn't seem to work.

i did modify and play around with some of the colony structure attributes and those seem to be working.

Partythenwork #9 Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:55 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 08 November 2016 - 08:15 AM, said:

I know right?  I've never posted within 3 seconds of someone before xD

By the way, did you notice they added in Advanced Jump Gates?  You have to enable it in the tech tree though.

yes i noticed that they did add advanced jump gates.  not sure what it does beyond providing extra scanner range?  one thing i wanted to try was allow building jump gates anywhere without having a colony.  i tried it with the asteroid mining and gas harvesters and that works.  i tried it with jump gates but i couldn't seem to get them working from the get go.  i modded the techtree.yaml file but moving items around on that list didn't seem to effect the game.

Spud_Dastardly #10 Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:19 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

Advanced jump gates allow you to build anywhere without a colony.  To mod the normal jump gate to do the same, you can delete the "requiresColonyInSystem: true" line from the jump gate in ColonyStructureTypes.yaml.  

As I mentioned, mod support is not working properly, and you probably have the move the yaml to the GameplayData folder for it to work properly.  

Partythenwork #11 Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:24 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 08 November 2016 - 02:19 PM, said:

Advanced jump gates allow you to build anywhere without a colony.  To mod the normal jump gate to do the same, you can delete the "requiresColonyInSystem: true" line from the jump gate in ColonyStructureTypes.yaml.  

As I mentioned, mod support is not working properly, and you probably have the move the yaml to the GameplayData folder for it to work properly.  

i am using the gameplaydata folder right now.  if you look carefully the advanced jump gates require a jump gate

it has listed on it:

upgrades: structure_jump_gate_orbital

i think it is supposed to be like the advanced military outpost.

i did remove the qualifier that a jump gate needs to be built in a system, but the blocking part is that it requires gravity field tech to be built; however, in my techtree.yaml file i moved it to the beginning and put it under space_travel, so i should have it from the get go, but that part didn't work.

Spud_Dastardly #12 Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:48 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
Can you post your yaml file(s)?  I might be able to tell what the problem is.  I myself have gotten jump gate to work as a starting tech.

Partythenwork #13 Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:13 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 08 November 2016 - 03:48 PM, said:

Can you post your yaml file(s)?  I might be able to tell what the problem is.  I myself have gotten jump gate to work as a starting tech.

sure i can do that, but with yaml file did you modify to get jump gates to work right off the bat?  is it the techtree one?

Partythenwork #14 Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:30 PM

Commander

• Players

nevermind i figured it out.  the issue is my text editor (notepad++)  auto inputs tabs, and reading another thread if you use tabs on your yaml file it will lock up master of orion.

i went ahead and went back and re-inserted what i wanted into the techtree but this time used spaces, and it worked!

thanks for your help and patience

trbeier #15 Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:19 PM

Captain

• Players

I saw the Advanced Jump Gate, but didn't see a description on it before.  I didn't notice it was commented out.  I put it back in and yes, it does allow  building without a colony.  I am not sure what to do with it in my mod.  Do I put it at the beginning?  Do I put it at the beginning?  Do I leave it where it is?  Do I put it where the old Jump Gate was?  Do I make it cost more, so there is a reason not to use it if you have a colony?

Decisions, decisions...   ;-)

- Kutless

Partythenwork #16 Posted 12 November 2016 - 03:01 AM

Commander

• Players

i hate to cry wolf, but after a while i have been modding all types of things in Moo, but apparently another mini-batch came out and nothing worked.  i had to move everything from the gameplaydata directory and i created a new mod folder in the Mods directory and that fixed everything.

it fixed everything besides the tech tree.  apparently for me the tech tree.yaml file doesn't seem to work right in the Mods folder.

is anyone else having this issue?  is there a quick fix for it?

trbeier #17 Posted 12 November 2016 - 04:31 AM

Captain

• Players
With the new MODS system you can not put a TechTree.yaml or RaceTypes.yaml in it, either file (even unmodified) will crash the game.
- Kutless

Partythenwork #18 Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:07 AM

Commander

• Players

View Posttrbeier, on 12 November 2016 - 04:31 AM, said:

With the new MODS system you can not put a TechTree.yaml or RaceTypes.yaml in it, either file (even unmodified) will crash the game.

okay so if you want to edit the techtree where do you put those files?

trbeier #19 Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:13 AM

Captain

• Players
The hotfix just came out.  Hopefully it will fix these problems.  :-)
- Kutless

Partythenwork #20 Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:29 AM

Commander

• Players

View Posttrbeier, on 12 November 2016 - 07:13 AM, said:

The hotfix just came out.  Hopefully it will fix these problems.  :-)

the problems i am having are with the hotfix.  like racialperks.yaml files work in the mod but the techtree doesn't.

Also tagged with mods

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users