5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod

mod balance

• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

Viper069 #321 Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:51 AM

Ensign

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 22 April 2017 - 05:50 AM, said:

Are you playing an uncreative race? Otherwise you should still have the ability to choose.

If you have the Steam version, MoO does automatically install new versions of the mod. 

Currently playing the Meklar.  It always allowed me to choose when playing them prior to the update.  Now it's like it arbitrarily picks one for me.  For example, I just researched Molecular Compression.  Would like to have chosen the Pulsan Missile, but was given the Neutronium Armor.

** Started a new game and the results were the same.  Started another game after removing the mod and tech choices were available again.  Yours is the only mod I run.

Spud_Dastardly #322 Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:16 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

The Meklar are uncreative now, so I suspect that is the issue. I had to give them this trait to balance the new uber biome they get. You can always make a custom Meklar race if you prefer not to be uncreative.

@TheBishop I'll look into that. Thanks for reporting this. I probably left it as the default hologram, but pollution cleanup was never researchable before, so the hologram file might not actually exist.

Edited by Spud_Dastardly, 22 April 2017 - 04:18 PM.

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

Viper069 #323 Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:33 PM

Ensign

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 22 April 2017 - 11:16 AM, said:

The Meklar are uncreative now, so I suspect that is the issue. I had to give them this trait to balance the new uber biome they get. You can always make a custom Meklar race if you prefer not to be uncreative.

@TheBishop I'll look into that. Thanks for reporting this. I probably left it as the default hologram, but pollution cleanup was never researchable before, so the hologram file might not actually exist.

Ah,  Didn't know the Meklar were.  That would be it.  Thanks.

TheBishop #324 Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:38 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
would it be possible to make "pollution clean up" turn itself off when pollution reaches zero?

Spud_Dastardly #325 Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:48 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
It should already turn itself off when pollution hits 0.

Meglok #326 Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:33 PM

Ensign

• Players
Spud - Having issues with uber biome in 55.1.  Chose Dark Swamp as starting uber biome and terraforming as starting tech.  Home world didn't start with it, and when I terraform swamp it changes to terran.  Is this another broken feature due to 55.1 or am I missing something?
"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him."   Robert Anson Heinlein

Spud_Dastardly #327 Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:45 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
That was a problem with custom race perks in version 55.1 and not related to the mod. A hotfix for the issue has just been uploaded, so there shouldn't be any further problems.

Laegad #328 Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:26 PM

Commander

• Players

Some week ago i"ve stopped this game because of the poor level of the AI.

With the last patch (both game and this mod), i started a new game...

Ok, dev and you (spud) made nice work, but the game is still sooo boring... AI is not a challenge...

It's a shame... i invade AI planet, and no response, no resistance....

Something should be made to make the AI more agressive !

And.. if something could be done to make the AI a little more 'smart' to manage their own planets...

I remember during early acces, some fleet trying to attack my own system...

And now ? AI declare war on me, doest not attack me but still colonize... then i come and capture all their planets.

Make something for this AI !

Only give to AI some huge bonus is not a way for goods game.

Also, i have some (lots) of idea to improve the game, and some are easy to code IMO, but:

- This is not a subject in a post about this mod.

- Game development seems to be terminated.

Examples:

- Something to look for specifics buildings from all your planets (1)

- Something to auto-destruct building if their are useless (example: cloning center, xenocontrol center...) - or (1) if you cannot code this.

- It is useless, each turn, to have the alert "hostile fleet detected" for space-monster in nearby systems we can see.

- Screen to assign leaders should be improved (first : remove civil ship and factories ship, who will put a leader in a factory ship ?, second... i don't know yet but something should be done)

- On the window for selecting ship from a fleet, add an "invert button" which make all selected ship unselected and all unselected ship selected.

- If I make a colony ship in planet populated with a specific race, the colonist should be from this race, and if the planet has several races, than i should choose the race i embark in the colony ship.

- Something to easilly move population between planet (This was done in MOO 2 and it was good !) - (by transports ship in early game, by teleport station in end game...)

And, this : Something to travel between systems without jump gate. I thinks this will greatly up gameplay (and this : The starline system was an error... i did not change my mind about this, it is not because i am an old player of the first MOO, it is because i can see (and compare gameplay) what the game become when AI do not know to make something else than turtle... win or lose is not the question: the game become boring)

But all of this is not a mod problem,

But i write this here because i know that Spud has some contact with dev :)

Edited by Laegad, 08 May 2017 - 03:49 PM.

Meglok #329 Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:32 PM

Ensign

• Players

Spud, just wanted to thank you for helping to keep the game alive.

Question, did the MIRV issue where teh warheads would respawn back at the ship ever get fixed?

"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him."   Robert Anson Heinlein

Laegad #330 Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:49 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostMeglok, on 08 May 2017 - 02:32 PM, said:

Question, did the MIRV issue where teh warheads would respawn back at the ship ever get fixed?

It is noted as fixed in the patch note.

Laegad #331 Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:03 PM

Commander

• Players

I have a question about leader : The bonus are caped ?

I my game, i choose a bonus to a leader, and the turn after the game ask me again for a bonus for this leader;

And i have this each turn if i choose the highter bonus.

Then, if i choose to up the other skill, the game 'accept' this.

I don't know if it is because the skill is caped, so the game refuse to up it;

But in this case... the game should simply tell me i cannot up this skill instead of doing nothing and ask me again at the next turn.

And, what appen if i up all the skill of my leader ? i cannot up any skill and the game will ask me what skill i choose to up each turn ?

Edited by Laegad, 08 May 2017 - 04:05 PM.

Spud_Dastardly #332 Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:16 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

Good suggestions Laegad. If they decide to do another patch, I'll pass along the feedback. At the very least, WhatIsSol can take a look at some of these. 

As for the leaders, are you referring to reaching the cap on one leader skill that you have to choose another? Previously leaders had a maximum level of 5 so that you could max out one skill. I increased the level cap to 9 so you can max out 2 skills, but I didn't allow you to put all 9 levels into a single trait because it becomes overpowered. Because there is still a level cap of 9, you'll never hit a situation where you have maxed out all skills but still need to choose another.

Laegad #333 Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:23 PM

Commander

• Players

Thanks to pass the feedback... i hope they will ear this (and i have others suggestions too, i don't remember which one now but as soon as i'll play i'll remind there)

For the leader, i'll verify that next time i'll launch the game...

The problem is how the program deal with this: it let you choose the skill (close the 'upgrade' window after your choice) but does upgrade nothing,

And the turn after it ask you to choose a skill... again... and you don't know why... (so i supposed this is a cap).

I have a suggestion about scientific victory:

This is the only victory what you cannot prevent AI to do (and if you play at highter levels in a big galaxy, you must disable this victory condition).

I play others 4x game where this kind of victory is possible, but:

- As soon as a key building is built, all players know this and know where is this building, so they can organize something to prevent it -> Add this !

- As human player if you are near to win by this victory, all AI declare war on you to stop you -> Add this ! (for all AI too = if an AI is near victory, same effect)

- And, a spy mission specific to destroy these key buildings could be cool if you are too far to try something.

- Also, in the other 4x i play, when you are near to achieve something like that, pack of 'neutral' units appear in game to stop you. In MOO, antarans are perfect for this role : You are about to escape them by scientis victory, how thet can accept this ?

Edited by Laegad, 08 May 2017 - 06:54 PM.

WildPotatoMage #334 Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:59 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

I really do enjoy the new Impossible difficulty as well as the new features.

I do think the AI is a little too colony spam happy however in that they don't seem to prioritize defenses (Star Bases and Barracks) over spamming more colonies and getting by on the free boosts.  Meaning you don't have to do much to blitz a corner of an unpopular neighbor and snipe a few boosted up systems to maintain even ground with the AI.  Maybe this isn't an issue on smaller, low dense maps but I like to play on very large maps.  

I did find it weird that my first Impossible Victory was Diplomatic with Terrans though.  Everyone just seemed to like me for some reason.  It is nice that the AI won't go into full blown hate mode because you don't want to trade trade top tier tech for a useless starter tech now.  Of course stealing everything from Psilons is better.

I do agree with Laegad's opinion on starlanes as it makes defense far too impractical on large maps.  You have to hold chokepoints fiercely because if one breaks it's game over for you or the AI.  Once they, or you, start rolling in with a big stack it won't stop, you just buyout marines/frigates on conquered worlds and keep the momentum going until you finally overextend 3-6 systems later.  By that point the AI will read the loser as 'weak' and dogpile them.  It breaks down into a grab bag of who can snatch up as much of the losers lands as possible before they are finally eliminated.  

While fun it makes it too easy to exploit by ensuring you are always ahead of the AI by starting wars with your neighbors at their weakest starlanes and getting them swarmed by the other AI so they waste their fleets on each other and you take the bulk of their colonies and snowball.  Creating a system of earlier, more efficient, jump-gates that could upgrade into instant fold-space star-gates sooner than how it was in MoO2 might help the AI and the player from allowing blitzkriegs to happen so easily.

Edit: Unless you DID put that in the latest update and I haven't gotten that far yet.  Been playing Stellaris: Utopia lately but got bored since the combat in that game is rather awful.

Edited by WildPotatoMage, 15 May 2017 - 12:03 AM.

GrantsGrunts #335 Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:01 AM

Ensign

• Players
I am playing MoO with the latest patch and 5X mod . I think there is a bug with orbital mining stations . It won't let me build them with my space factories . Am I missing something ?

Spud_Dastardly #336 Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:09 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

Thanks for the feedback Laegad and WildPotatoMage. There's not much I can do about the issues you mentioned, but WhatIsSol might be able to address some of the things you both mentioned in his unofficial patch, and I'll certainly pass your ideas onto the devs if I ever hear that they're making another major patch (though it seems unlikely at this point). 

@GrantsGrunts I had to remove orbital mining stations because the AI would never build them and there was no way to get the AI to ever build them. I think I may have forgotten to remove them from the build menu. I'll make sure they're gone in the next update so it doesn't cause confusion.

Spud_Dastardly #337 Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:39 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
Hey everyone, I'm working on an addon for 5X. You can try it out here:http://www.nexusmods.com/masteroforionconquerthestars/mods/34/? 

I'm having trouble uploading it to Steam for some reason, so it'll only be on Nexus for now. This addon splits the tech tree into 8 independent branches with no interlacing between them, similar to MoO2's tech tree. Everything has been rearranged as a result. No new techs have been added. 

Feedback and bug reports are welcome.

St_Turkey #338 Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:51 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

Thank you for all your work on this mod,Spud.  I don't think I've played a standard MoO game in the last 6-9 months!

I have a question on how to mod, if I may.  If I want to add a new type of Outpost in to the game, which yamls do I need to modify to include it, and what do I need to make sure I include in those yamls?

Also, do you know if there is a way for something like the Asteroid Mine to give a Cell bonus across the system, or are Cell Bonusese restricted to what is built on the planet?

Spud_Dastardly #339 Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:45 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

I can tell you how to add a new space factory structure, but you should know that the AI will never build it. All of the current space factory structures are hard coded into the AI's build priority code, and there's no code to direct them to build any custom buildings.

You only need to modify ColonyStructureTypes.yaml, TechApps.yaml, and TechTree.yaml. Here's some sample code:

Spoiler

You can't give a cell bonus for the entire system. To see everything you can possibly include in a colonystructuretypes key, see this guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=847646307. In particular, you basically can only give system bonuses to morale and security.

St_Turkey #340 Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:36 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

Thank you much, Spud!

If it is a defensive structure, like a remote military outpost, do I need to include it in ShipHullTypes and Blueprint Templates, too?

Edited by St_Turkey, 26 July 2017 - 03:41 PM.

Also tagged with mod, balance

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users