5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod

mod balance

• Please log in to reply
356 replies to this topic

Spud_Dastardly #341 Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:40 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
Yes, you'd need to add it in ShipHullTypes and ShipBlueprintTemplates as well as assigning it a model in ShipHullModels

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

SnazzySquid #342 Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:07 AM

Ensign

• Players
I feel really dumb for needing to ask, but how do I install this mod for GOG Galaxy?

Spud_Dastardly #343 Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:08 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
Download it from Nexus Mods. Unzip the download and move the 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod folder to Documents\Master of Orion\Mods, assuming you are using Windows. It should then show up in game in the mods menu as a "Local" mod.

Strider__2020 #344 Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:25 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

Is astro university bugged?   I'm only using this mod and the unoffical codepatch mod.  The description for Astro University says it should have System Unique bonuses of Food Per Cell and Production per cell of +1 but these aren't working for my other planets in system and even the main planet it's built on I only see the research bonus of +1

After further testing I do get the Food and Production bonus on the planet it was built on.   I guess that's the intended bonus.  I was thinking those 2 were system wide bonuses.

Edited by Strider__2020, 20 October 2017 - 04:44 AM.

Spud_Dastardly #345 Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:27 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
Astro University is only intended to give the bonus to the planet it's built on. This is for balance, as giving it to all planets in a system would be too powerful for a building at that stage in the game. 

Strider__2020 #346 Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:59 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

I just had the dreaded infinite Turn Processing bug again on Turn 187.  I thought this was suppose to be fixed in the patches.  I'm using GoG version 55.1.1 and latest 5x and Unoffical Code patch mods.   I played one game all the way thru no problem.  I did change a few things for Biome chances, types and removed toxic from appearing, but nothing I would think would cause this issues after almost 200 turns.  Sakkra's are in this game and I read there use to be a Turn Processing bug that was "fixed" regarding them.

Is this bug still an issue?  Do I need Unofficial code patch with this mod?  I read on it's mod page it's compatible.

Edited by Strider__2020, 23 October 2017 - 09:01 AM.

Spud_Dastardly #347 Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:52 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

I'm not aware of any infinite turn processing bugs, so this is news to me. Are you using any other mods (besides 5X and UCP)? If so, there may be a compatibility issue, and I might be able to figure it out if you let me know what other mods you are using (your changes to the galaxy generation are unlikely to cause the issue 200 turns in as you said).

If you reload the game and try again does it always happen on that turn? If so, while the turn is processing endlessly, open the output log and check near the end of the log to see if any errors are being repeated. If so, post them here (or just link the whole log here). You can access the log by going to the master of orion install folder, and then you'll find output_log.txt in the MasterOfOrion_Data folder.

Strider__2020 #348 Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:09 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

Yes it always happened at same turn.  I went back a few turns and tried different things and still got stuck.  But if your not experiencing turn processing bugs then it must be because when I changed some things in your mod it placed your mod behind the UCP in the mod order listing.  I thought I had checked it before I started because I noticed it before but I must of changed something and forgot to check again.  I started over with a new game.  I did check that log before I started over and there were quite a few errors.  If I get the turn processing errors again I'll post it.  Only using those 2 mods at the moment and UCP says to keep it at the bottom of the order.  I assume that's correct.

Edited by Strider__2020, 23 October 2017 - 12:12 PM.

Spud_Dastardly #349 Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:53 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
Yes, UCP should come after 5X in the mod order. If it happens again, you can link a save file and I can try to figure out the problem.

Ozymandyus #350 Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:49 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
I feel like a dunderhead asking, but there's no readme and I couldn't find the answer in perusing 18 pages of posts.  To install this, do I just copy the .yaml files to the 'modding' folder in Steam?  I notice that the file naming system is a number with filename after it, and I see that filename also existing there already without the number.  Not sure if I need to go through and remove the numbers first before copying the files over.

Spud_Dastardly #351 Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:57 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
If you have the Steam version of the game, you need only go to the mod page and click the Subscribe button to use the mod. If you're on the GoG version, you have to get the mod through Nexus Mods, and the mod folder goes in Documents\Master of Orion\Mods. Looks like my readme on the Nexus Mods page was deleted for some reason. I'll re-upload it.

Ozymandyus #352 Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:07 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 30 October 2017 - 06:57 AM, said:

If you have the Steam version of the game, you need only go to the mod page and click the Subscribe button to use the mod. If you're on the GoG version, you have to get the mod through Nexus Mods, and the mod folder goes in Documents\Master of Orion\Mods. Looks like my readme on the Nexus Mods page was deleted for some reason. I'll re-upload it.

Thanks Spud, I'll visit the mod page.

Laegad #353 Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:57 PM

Commander

• Players

Hello,

If i want to finish the french translation, i can DL the lastest version and complete what is missing ?

I just saw you continue to make great work while i'm not here, congratulation !

Spud_Dastardly #354 Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:35 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

Hello Laegad,

It's good to hear from you again. If you complete the French translation, I would be glad to add it. You can get the latest version of the mod from Nexus Mods and complete any missing lines. I have an update coming this weekend, and there's just one additional line to update the new Bulrathi uber building perks:

RESEARCH_FREE_FOREST_DESCRIPTION,,"This race starts with a unique building technology that can be built on their homeworld and an upgrade that can be built on every Forest planet.<br><br>The homeworld building provides a small %Research and %Population growth bonus, and the forest upgrade gives additional %Pollution cleanup."

There's no rush if you can't get it done by this weekend. I'd be happy to update the mod when you have it ready. 

JosEPh_II #355 Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:07 PM

Captain

• Players

So this mod is not very large? Something like 282KB zipped?

Just making sure I'm getting it right. Just D/L'd from nexus.

What does UCP do for the game?

Just coming back after a long time away.

Edit: just D/l'd the UCP too.

Edited by JosEPh_II, 01 November 2017 - 04:40 PM.

Old and Slow.....Watch Out! It's Not Y'uns Turn!

Spud_Dastardly #356 Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:40 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

The mod file on Nexus is not very large because I no longer include the thumbnail picture in the mod package (it doesn't actually do anything). For most MoO mods you see, the thumbnail accounts for the vast majority of the file size, and most mods include a thumbnail because when you upload the mod to the Steam workshop including a thumbnail is required. The actual mod files are basically just text files, so they're very small in size. In terms of actual mod content, 5X is definitely the most extensive mod for the game.

UCP fixes bugs (some of which are quite serious such as 3 out of 4 missile modifications not working at all), improves AI behavior, makes some minor optimization improvements to reduce turn processing times and large tactical battle lag, and it adds some features like being able to see ship blueprints of ships you have already built by mousing over them, having a small chance to get a tech when invading a planet, and more. It's different from other mods in that it actually modifies the game's code by replacing the game's files instead of being loaded as text files through the modding system (such changes are not possible within the rather limited modding system). The full list of changes is in the readme in Nexus mods. It's essential in my opinion. 

Spud_Dastardly #357 Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:50 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

Hello everyone. I have uploaded an important update for 5X.

MoO has many bugs, but we are lucky to have WhatIsSol, who has created an Unofficial Code Patch (UCP) to fix them.

I highly recommend using his patch. Unfortunately though, this has presented me with a dilemma. Some players use UCP and some do not, and that means when balancing 5X I've had to walk a fine line between balancing the game based on the bugs present vs balancing it for use with UCP. This ended up meaning that it's a little bit unbalanced for both people using UCP and those not using it, which is unfortunate.

Since most players subscribed to 5X do not use UCP, I have decided with the latest 5X update to optimize 5X for use without UCP. To that end, the latest 5X update has the following changes:

• Disabled Fast, ECCM, Heavy Armor missiles because they're bugged and don't work
  • Removed rangemaster targeting unit entirely because it actually makes your chance to hit worse
  • The AI will no longer put stellar converter, black hole generator, or energy absorber on their ships because they will never use them anyway
  • Fighters now come in groups of 5 because without UCP they have limited effectiveness

(UCP fixes all of these bugs)

For players that are using UCP (and again I recommend everyone do so), I have created an additional mod which is designed to balance 5X for players using UCP:

https://www.nexusmods.com/masteroforionconquerthestars/mods/45/?

This mod re-enables the techs/mods above and brings the fighter count down to 4. It also adjusts for the fact that UCP fixes a bug with telepathic training, and it takes advantage of added UCP modding features by making pollution tolerance of planets change based on size and making toxic condensers percentage based instead of the imperfect system of several dozen condensers providing different bonuses. It is also no longer necessary to delete ShipBlueprintTemplates.yaml from the Unofficial Code Patch folder.

The mods should be loaded in the following order:

• 5X
  • UCP
  • Compatibility mod
  • All other mods

The Split Tech Tree addon will also be updated and will be optimized for use with UCP (I would rather not create two separate versions of the addon to reduce mod clutter). Players can still use split tech tree without UCP, but there will be a couple of minor bugs present if they do so. Split tech tree will need to be loaded after the compatibility mod in the mod order.

5X Lite is also already optimized for use with UCP. You shouldn't use the compatibility mod with 5X Lite.

Steam Users: It's possible that my update to 5X may break some saved games in progress (which is why the mod name has included the next update date weeks in advance). If your game was broken by the update, you can download the previous 5X version from Nexus Mods and complete your game using it. I apologize for any inconvenience.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have, and feedback on this update is welcome.

By the way, I've heard that the devs are maybe considering a new patch (just maybe; let's not get our hopes up). If they do give us a new patch, it'll include all the UCP fixes, so the compatibility mod will no longer be necessary at that time. Let's hope they do...

Also tagged with mod, balance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users