5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod

mod balance

• Please log in to reply
356 replies to this topic

Laegad #41 Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:38 PM

Commander

• Players

I just tested the "impossible" mode.

This is good :) ... AI grow quickly enough to build some defenses (but this priority to extend should be fixed : There are lot of colony ship without planet to go on AI's empire... something is wrong on this AI)

@Spud : I don't play on english, and it seems that on other languages the world 'impossible' in menu is replaced by 'extreme'.

I saw this for french language, for the other i don't know but i bet it is the same because probably you have copied the field 'extreme' for all language (?)

An other question : It is about the bug that when you build a colony ship, the colon is alway from the main race you play; even if the colony ship is not built from a planet with your main race.

Dev should add 'racial colony ship', as they added 'racial civilian ship' in a past patch

I don't know why, but they don't fix this.

Do you think it is moddable ?

Edited by Laegad, 26 November 2016 - 06:43 PM.

Spud_Dastardly #42 Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:20 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

I don't know any other language well enough to translate all of the text in the mod, so I just made the mod compatible for English.  All of the text for other languages is copy/pasted from other random lines.  If you want, I can work with you to create a French localization of the mod.  That would involve me sending you all of the text that I changed and having you input a translation for it.  I already have another player who created a Russian version which will be out with the next update.  

As far as racial colony ships goes, that's not something I can mod.  It's something we've been asking the devs for for a while. Hopefully they'll address it soon.

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

Laegad #43 Posted 27 November 2016 - 12:32 PM

Commander

• Players

ok, i'll do that for french.

This is only the 'backend.csv' file to complete ?

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 27 November 2016 - 02:20 AM, said:

As far as racial colony ships goes, that's not something I can mod.  It's something we've been asking the devs for for a while. Hopefully they'll address it soon.

I began to watch what i can do for this, and i doubts it was possible to mod this too... this is something that seems to be hard coded :(

Well, you confirm...

Pff... Don't tell me i is a design choice...

I posted about this 2 or 3 time during the early access, both for colony ship and civilian ship,

Finally they changed this for civilian ship, but not for colony shipS... Good, but only half of the job is done...

This is something wrong in the game, I really hope they will fix this !

Edited by Laegad, 27 November 2016 - 12:38 PM.

Exoclyps #44 Posted 27 November 2016 - 01:47 PM

Captain

• Players
Yeah. It bothers me a lot. That a colony full of say Meklars can produce a colony ship with say Darloks (I play them XD). At least we got the civilian ships correct so it's possible to at least correct the issue to make sure that the planet get the population you want, even if it is a slight pain to pull it off.

Spud_Dastardly #45 Posted 27 November 2016 - 04:17 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostLaegad, on 27 November 2016 - 08:32 PM, said:

ok, i'll do that for french.

This is only the 'backend.csv' file to complete ?

There are several .csv files to complete.  Here is the full set of .csvs along with a text file documenting the changes I made to each: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32174515/To%20be%20translated.zip.  In it you will find Technology.csv, Stars.csv, ShipModule.csv, RacialTraits.csv, Frontend.csv, Colonystructure.csv, and Backend.csv.  The easiest thing for me would be for you to edit the .csv files directly and send to me the updated ones.  The format for each line in each .csv is ID,Reserved,English,Russian,German,French,Polish,Czech,Turkish,Spanish (Spain),Spanish (Latin America),Portuguese (Brazil),Korean,Japanese, so you'll want to make sure to edit the correct section in each one.  Before sending the completed files to me, you will probably want to test them by getting the full mod on NexusMods and replacing the existing .csv files with your updated ones, and then run the game to see if the changes work correctly.  

For descriptions of new techs, I made up a lot of flavor text which might not translate perfectly into French.  You should rewrite it in a way that makes sense rather than attempt a literal translation.  I hope to have an updated version of my mod out very soon after the next patch, so the sooner you can get it done, the better.

Edited by Spud_Dastardly, 27 November 2016 - 04:18 PM.

drewklar #46 Posted 27 November 2016 - 05:46 PM

Commander

• Players

Speaking of modding ships, is it possible to mod the game where you can start a game where races use a different race's ships?  Like, have the Humans use the Alkari ships, and their ships are switched out with another race?

That was one of the nice replayability features of the old Moo games was that the ship designs were not tied to a specific race.  I don't know why they didn't do that with MOO:CTS, as it would have been simple to let one pick color and ship-chassis types at the start and randomize the selection for the remaining races.

Spud_Dastardly #47 Posted 27 November 2016 - 06:04 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
I think that's possible.  The relevant settings are in RaceTypes.yaml.  I haven't tested it though.

Ketzerei84 #48 Posted 27 November 2016 - 07:01 PM

Ensign

• Players
Is it possible to get the ability to scrap your capitol building added into the mod? Would be nice to move one's capitol in some games without relying on enemy invasion or an earthquake to make it possible.

Spud_Dastardly #49 Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:19 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostKetzerei84, on 28 November 2016 - 03:01 AM, said:

Is it possible to get the ability to scrap your capitol building added into the mod? Would be nice to move one's capitol in some games without relying on enemy invasion or an earthquake to make it possible.

There doesn't seem to be a setting for that.  It's probably hard coded in so you can't change it.

Exoclyps #50 Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:08 AM

Captain

• Players

Btw, thought I'd bring this up.

Humans do terrible in cluster galaxies since it takes a lot longer before they get any chance to do diplomacy.

In my most recent game they got a nice war declaration as a welcome gift from the Meklars.

One possible way to deal with this is to remove one of the trade bonuses and change it to a pure tax bonus. Which is more in line with MoO2 and also might be something you want to do to make them more unique from Gnolams down the road anyways.

Then again, there was rumors of governments being implemented, which would solve the issue xD

Edited by Exoclyps, 28 November 2016 - 09:12 AM.

Spud_Dastardly #51 Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:06 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
I may very well do that Exoclyps.  I plan to sculpt the Gnolams to be the ultimate money race, whereas the Humans are more of a jack of all trades with emphasis on diplomacy.

Laegad #52 Posted 28 November 2016 - 06:20 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 27 November 2016 - 04:17 PM, said:

For descriptions of new techs, I made up a lot of flavor text which might not translate perfectly into French.  You should rewrite it in a way that makes sense rather than attempt a literal translation.  I hope to have an updated version of my mod out very soon after the next patch, so the sooner you can get it done, the better.

Job done :D

Ho... it seems that the programme take into account file in mod subdirectory too... i asking myself why i didnot see my modifications...

Just tested screens in games, seems ok...

I just upload the files with french localization here : http://www.megafileupload.com/ccnQ/Translated.zip

(ok, you received it ?)

(Use something like winmerge to put modifications in your files ?)

Also, look at the end game with human on 'impossible': http://www.megafileupload.com/ccqM/Humain-impossible-Mod5X.save

Human seems to me very powerfull with their hability to make peace and good treaties. From begining to middle of the game this was very efficient

(for the end game, AI have not enought credit to make trade and research treaties)

I think the main problem is the AI too passive... but also it is the "power" of humain to pacify by diplomatie... wait & see the next version of this program (with the DLC) to tune this...

You can also see the some AI should be completly destroyed by other AI (on "no mod" game), but are still alive... IMO the "defense mod" is something good.

you can also see i have too many credits... perhaps a tune with less credit should be better...

[Edit] if you haven't begin merge yet, take there files instead of the first 'Translated.zip' version: http://www.megafileupload.com/80m6/5X_-_The_Ultimate_Balance_Mod.zip

I've just modified the term Unobtainium, witch seems to come from 'Star Trek' while i first think it came from the 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'...

Edited by Laegad, 29 November 2016 - 09:04 AM.

Exoclyps #53 Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:02 PM

Captain

• Players

Oh! My! God! It worked! I'm so excited right now!

So... this is just... awesome. I found a hidden feature in the game! Hidden gem that can make things so dang interesting! Where to start?!

Alright. So I was thinking back to the idea of giving arid planet races a special farm tech for just arid worlds, and I thought... what if you could just make it a free upgrade for the colony base? Like you could add various buildings that you could choose between perhaps? Later I figured... what if you could make it so you could have two different buildings you could upgrade to?

So I tested out with a marine barrack. Making two new "upgraded barracks". One that gives faster recruitment and another that gave 5% extra morale. Just for testing purposes here.

I added the appropriate tags to both of the new barracks:
            upgrades: structure_marine_barracks
            requires: structure_marine_barracks

And guess what?! It worked just as I had hoped. If I built one of the barracks I was no longer able to build the other! This means you can create tech for specialization!!!

Imagine!
Automatic Factory being upgraded to either Robo-Miners or a new Robotic Factory! Like you make it so the player has to choose. Do I want a big flat bonus or a bonus per worker?! Initially you'd only get your hand on one of the two. Being creative or able to trade for the other would let you get your hands on both, which means you could now choose which one you want. Perhaps a small planet would get the Robotic Factory while a bigger planet gets the Robo-Miners!

Same deal with like the research building. Either flat or cell bonus, which do you want? A race that sucks at research would prefer the flat while psilons would benefit from the cell one a lot.

I mean the options that can be made. You could create some new version of the Astro University for example. Like you focus your planet and choose if you want +% in food, production or research! Now your planet is xx planet!

This open up the option for so many new technologies! What about more guns or more health for your cool Advanced Orbital Batteries?

Spud_Dastardly #54 Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:25 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
Interesting.  I won't have time to implement anything like that for the next update, but I'll certainly look into exploiting that in the future.

DJO_Maverick #55 Posted 29 November 2016 - 03:50 PM

Ensign

• Players

Spud, had a random idea for you that I don't know whether is possible in the current framework.

So all the way back to MoO2, the idea of tanks and battlemechs(oids) have seemed terribly cool, but a terrible tech choice... and building armor barracks for them near-useless.  But, what if you could actually use them offensively?

I'm thinking the advanced troop transport, if there is a way to alter its payload.  Currently it gives you two extra marines; could that somehow be made variable, such that it is 4 marines plus 2 of your best ground combat units?  Ie, 4 marines plus 2 mechs, or plus 2 tanks, or plus 2 marines (as it is now) depending on what tech you have and whether an armor barracks is present?

It likely wouldn't be earth-shattering, but it might give those techs a bit more reason to be used.

Laegad #56 Posted 29 November 2016 - 06:28 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostExoclyps, on 29 November 2016 - 12:02 PM, said:

So I tested out with a marine barrack. Making two new "upgraded barracks". One that gives faster recruitment and another that gave 5% extra morale. Just for testing purposes here.

I added the appropriate tags to both of the new barracks:
            upgrades: structure_marine_barracks
            requires: structure_marine_barracks

And guess what?! It worked just as I had hoped. If I built one of the barracks I was no longer able to build the other! This means you can create tech for specialization!!!

I don't understand why this surprise you...

A building require an other building to be built,

And is an upgraded version of this building (so if you upgrade the 'before upgrade" buiding disapear + cannot be built again),

So of course if you have 2 possibles upgrades, each one prevent the other to be build...

For me it is logical...

And yes, that mean lot of possibilities on futurs mod.... we have an "if else" of a programming language :)

Spud_Dastardly #57 Posted 29 November 2016 - 06:42 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostDJO_Maverick, on 29 November 2016 - 11:50 PM, said:

Spud, had a random idea for you that I don't know whether is possible in the current framework.

So all the way back to MoO2, the idea of tanks and battlemechs(oids) have seemed terribly cool, but a terrible tech choice... and building armor barracks for them near-useless.  But, what if you could actually use them offensively?

I'm thinking the advanced troop transport, if there is a way to alter its payload.  Currently it gives you two extra marines; could that somehow be made variable, such that it is 4 marines plus 2 of your best ground combat units?  Ie, 4 marines plus 2 mechs, or plus 2 tanks, or plus 2 marines (as it is now) depending on what tech you have and whether an armor barracks is present?

It likely wouldn't be earth-shattering, but it might give those techs a bit more reason to be used.

That would be cool, but this is something I can't do.  The ground combat system is very bare bones, and it requires the devs programming in new stuff to do that.  The marine pods achievement is hard coded into the game; I can only change the number of marines per transport it gives.  Battleoids are contained in the PlanetDefense collection, so they're programmed specifically for defense.  

View PostLaegad, on 29 November 2016 - 02:20 AM, said:

I've just modified the term Unobtainium, witch seems to come from 'Star Trek' while i first think it came from the 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'...

Unobtainium is a classic sci fi trope, though I don't recall ever seeing it in Star Trek  or HHGTTG.  The description is a reference to the 2009 movie Avatar, where the humans were looking to plunder unobtainium from a planet of natives.  The description is a reference to how the writing for the movie was terrible but the special effects were mind blowing at the time.  It's probably not as recognizable in other countries and languages, so it's just as well that you changed it.

Laegad #58 Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:27 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 29 November 2016 - 06:42 PM, said:

...though I don't recall ever seeing it in Star Trek  or HHGTTG...

You're right it is not, but i watched this pagewhere it is written that there are some others word for exotic maters on 'star trek', and this could be a reason for the creation of this word;

Well, the choice to translate is between 'Impossiblium' (which is the easy way, which is used in the film 'Fusion') and 'Unobtanium' (like german, which is used in the film 'Avatar', and IMO soon better, and IMO is better because is closer to the english word)

For HHGTTG, it is just because the word 'Unobtainnium' make me think about the 'Improbability Drive', that make me think a kind of 'Improbability armor' (of course, the best possible armor)... but this had nothing to do with the unobtainium.

Edited by Laegad, 29 November 2016 - 11:10 PM.

Exoclyps #59 Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:17 AM

Captain

• Players

View PostLaegad, on 29 November 2016 - 06:28 PM, said:

I don't understand why this surprise you...

A building require an other building to be built,

And is an upgraded version of this building (so if you upgrade the 'before upgrade" buiding disapear + cannot be built again),

So of course if you have 2 possibles upgrades, each one prevent the other to be build...

For me it is logical...

And yes, that mean lot of possibilities on futurs mod.... we have an "if else" of a programming language :)

Wasn't really surprised that it did work, more just exited about it. I couldn't think of a reason it wouldn't work, just that I had to double check to make sure though.

Funny part is that I doubt the devs had this use in mind when the initially made the "requirement" tag, considering the thing they used it for.

One sad thing though. While I find the possibilities exciting, more tactical choices, yay! All I can imagine is how again the stupid AI would make the wrong choice all the time, huge planet getting the flat one while a small planet gets the cell bonus one. The AI would need to be programed to recognize the difference between the two upgrades and be able to make the proper decision, which I doubt it would be able to do since the feature was never meant to exist in the first place.

Now if the AI already got a feature to recognize the "best building to build" for its planet, it might work out. I somewhat doubt this for some reason though, would be cool though if in the feature it did get this feature if it does not yet.

Exoclyps #60 Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:21 AM

Captain

• Players

Btw, any thoughts on more custom difficulties?

For example, an interesting bonus to increase would be the credits multiplier.

Also I've started to think I want to see a higher food production multiplier bonus. While it does let you abuse it slightly, the AI is not as good as creating population on their own, so they do need a bonus there.

So what I was thinking, imagine say a difficulty that looked something like:
          research_multiplier_bonus: 0.5
          credits_multiplier_bonus: 1.5
          command_points_multiplier_bonus: 0.25
          colony_production_multiplier_bonus: 0.5
          food_production_multiplier_bonus: 0.2

This is just an example. Credits could be increased more to not only make sure they have money to trade with, but also so that they can, ehem, "cheat" if needed. Command Points is lower to foster smaller fleets that are rebuilt rather than just huge from the get-go. A slightly increased food production so that you as player don't end up with twice the pop that foster the same results in research/production as theirs.

Would in all honestly love to see more choices to change in the difficulties.

Imagine a -50% ship cost rather than an outright bonus to production.

Edit:
Things could look a bit like this:

Spoiler

Edited by Exoclyps, 30 November 2016 - 07:27 AM.

Also tagged with mod, balance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users