5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod

mod balance

• Please log in to reply
367 replies to this topic

Spud_Dastardly #81 Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:15 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

Nice fix Exoclyps.  I'll do that.  

@Laegad I managed to get a dev response on this.  Apparently the medium galaxy was only ever meant to have 7 players total in it.  They said they can't change that without a major patch and a ton of testing, so the short term fix seems to be limiting the number of players/minor civs.  

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

Laegad #82 Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:23 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 02 December 2016 - 04:15 PM, said:

Nice fix Exoclyps.  I'll do that.  

@Laegad I managed to get a dev response on this.  Apparently the medium galaxy was only ever meant to have 7 players total in it.  They said they can't change that without a major patch and a ton of testing, so the short term fix seems to be limiting the number of players/minor civs.  

Ok... but i've seen this problem both with 7 and 8 AI... and one time with 6 AI on medium.

With the version we have now, the best way to deal with this is to disable minors civ @ game creation... (or reduce this number in a mod)

A large patch ?

I have an idea for them:

The problem seem to be : There is no place for minor civ (because a player or AI is too close) ?

=> After galaxy generation from seed number, add a planetary system for each minor civ.

Instead of placing minor civ in planetary system already created and fail to found a place, create the place.

Edited by Laegad, 02 December 2016 - 04:34 PM.

Spud_Dastardly #83 Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:43 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
7 players total means major civs plus minor civs, so 6 AI plus you plus 3 minor cives makes 12 total, so I'm not surprised it can still break.  Unfortunately changing how minor civs are placed in that way requires exactly the kind of major patch and testing I was referring to.  They'll fix it eventually I'm sure.  In the mean time I'm working with Breckwilhite on a workaround.

Spud_Dastardly #84 Posted 03 December 2016 - 06:38 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostExoclyps, on 02 December 2016 - 10:51 PM, said:

Gotta think on the tech for Planar Transcendence. Hard one since ya want something that is fun, creative, rewarding, yet does not overpower you XD Best idea I've had so far is a building that is required to be built before you can build the other two nice buildings... but yeah, fun and rewarding and all.

What do you think of this for planar transcendence:

- key: structure_galactic_university
            name: "Galactic University"
            description: COLONY_STRUCTURE_GALACTIC_UNIVERSITY_DESCRIPTION
            icon: assets/structures/astro_university.png
            cost: 400
            upkeep: 12
            researchTileBonus: 2
            foodTileBonus: 2
            productionTileBonus: 2

upgrades: structure_astro_university
            structureTypes: 
            systemUnique: true
            workingStatus: true

It upgrades Astro university so you can't have both on the same planet, however you could potentially have astro university on one planet in a system and galactic university on another.  

Exoclyps #85 Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:25 AM

Captain

• Players
I dunno. It's quite a sudden boost all over the galaxy. Personally I think the idea I had of 3 different empire unique would be more interesting. Make it like:

Galactic University of Science that gives like 50% or maybe even 100% bonus to research on the planet.

Galactic University of Engineering for production and Of Agriculture for food or something.

Current suggestion will result in the player upgrading all astro universities at spot and then make new ones on all the systems. Not really an uniqueness, and by now you probably don't even need the boost on 90% of the planets you build it on.

A empire unique one would make it a bit more exciting as you now get to make the decision how to use it in best way.

Exoclyps #86 Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:21 AM

Captain

• Players
And on a slighter different note. Have you considered the possibilities of creating an even more advanced Military Outpost to mimic the Star Fortress? And speaking of which, is it just me, or is the Battle Station very late in the game?

Spud_Dastardly #87 Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:15 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

I don't really want to add more empire unique buildings.  Maybe I can just create a more advanced military outpost and put it on the planar transcendence node.  By that point advanced outposts will surely be outgunned.  Battlestation is there a bit late, but it is well balanced for where it is in the tree.  Though as you might point out, right now you can get star fortress without getting battlestation first.  What do you think of swapping battlestation with space elevator so that battlestation is in astro engineering and space elevator in advanced robotics?

Exoclyps #88 Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:47 AM

Captain

• Players

There isn't really many Empire Unique buildings right now though. And I personally really like the idea of them to create more unique planets, but yeah, difference of taste there, and nothing stops me to adjust it to my liking on my end later if you where to go with the Galactic University as you proposed. But I do feel that one does have a bit of a "Now?" feel, rather than the option to really spice up a few of your planets, but yeah.

Actually had second thoughts on the need for a better outpost. Figured that if the Advanced Outpost would be left in the strength in-between Battle Station and Star Fortress that it would be good enough already without the need for any new one.

Actually I was thinking of pointing out that you could get Battle Station without Star Fortress and that it bothered me. But I wanted to write my other topic first xD

The thing with swaping with the Space Elevator is that the Space Elevator actually fits very good in it's current location, and I honestly like the reduction at the time since it's when I usually start with creating my bigger fleet.

But I suppose you could delay Space Elevator to Astro Construction (heck, makes more sense than Engineering, tbh) and then move Battle Station to Astro Engineering.

Exoclyps #89 Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:46 PM

Captain

• Players
Bug? Seems I'm able to select both Creative and Uncreative. No idea what the result would be.

Spud_Dastardly #90 Posted 03 December 2016 - 02:31 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostExoclyps, on 03 December 2016 - 09:46 PM, said:

Bug? Seems I'm able to select both Creative and Uncreative. No idea what the result would be.

Seems when I converted to the new yamls, I forgot to add that exclusion.  Thanks.  

Actually right now the advanced military outpost is slightly weaker than a battlestation, and this is despite me increasing the health/space of the AMO by 100% while only doing the same by 50% for the battlestation.  In the original game, the AMO is about as strong as a star base.  Adding a third outpost seems like a good option.

Of course, space elevator is really good.  I think it's fine if you move it further up the tree.  Do you think it's wise to move it to astro construction rather than advanced robotics though?  That's 2 tiers higher as opposed to 1.

By the way, I think I'd like to see if I can get Fighter Garrisons working.  I'll make them cheap since fighters aren't that good.  I'll put them mid way up the tech tree.

Edited by Spud_Dastardly, 03 December 2016 - 02:55 PM.

jasonwclark #91 Posted 03 December 2016 - 06:47 PM

Commander

• Players

Unfortunately I haven't been able to launch some games of 2.02 yet. I get stuck on the Galaxy generation screen. 

Is this the issue that was mentioned about Medium or Smaller galaxies conflicting with Minor Civs?

In the vanilla game I can play on a Medium Circle Galaxy with 8 opponents and will get like 3 minor civilizations.  Choosing the same settings in 5X and the game won't launch. Have to kill it with the task manager.

I can launch with a Large or Huge circle galaxy and max opponents, but that's not really desireable. Especially since the game defaults to Medium Circle when you first launch, and many enjoy the game at that scale rather than Large or Huge for the AI.

I can launch a Medium Circle Galaxy with 5 opponents, but going higher in opponents will cause it to hang at generation.

Maybe consider removing the increased minor Civs for Circles, if it is causing conflicts with the current build? Since the 5X player might not know what's going on to check this thread, or just think the mod has a bug when they first try it, and unsubscribe or deactivate before seeing all the other cool features. The default game allows up to 5 opponents on a Small Circle, and 8 opponents on a Medium Circle, and I think a lot of people will go for max opponents as a matter of course. 

I like the idea of more minor Civs in Circles, but only if it works for all sizes/settings. Otherwise I'd just ditch that feature from 5X until the game can handle it properly without stalling out. Since it might take them a while to patch the problem.

Spud_Dastardly #92 Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:03 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

I'm working on a workaround.  I hope to release a new update Monday with a fix for this issue.  I will probably have to limit the number of minor civs to get it to work properly.  This is also an issue without mods on occasion.  For example 8 races on a medium circle with seed 65310 will cause the same issue even without mods.  I have reported the issue to the devs.

Exoclyps #93 Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:12 AM

Captain

• Players

More goodies is always cool, just that I'm worried that it might cause a stalemate between AI's if not carefully balanced. I do like the idea of Fighter Garrisons though, would be cool if they would work.

Tier-wise 1 tier is less of a "pain", but I can't really advocate putting it at Advanced Robotics since to me that just doesn't connect. Astro Construction on the other hand would be the perfect tech-node out of a "name-logical" thinking, hence why I do prefer that option over Advanced Robotics. The only beef I have with moving it there is that you finally get battleships and by the time you got the microlite construction and space elevator, you already got titans. No good answer there, yet.

Ghettobible #94 Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:51 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
Nvm, figured it out. Though i am curious with all the benefits the Psilons have, why do they need a large homeworld?

Edited by Ghettobible, 04 December 2016 - 03:00 AM.

Exoclyps #95 Posted 04 December 2016 - 04:51 AM

Captain

• Players
Low-G Homeworld gives quite a few points used elsewhere like on the Large Homeworld.

Spud_Dastardly #96 Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:10 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

Yeah basically it's to balance out low g.  Also they had large hw in moo2, so that's where I got it from.  I'm open to alternate suggestions to use up that point.  

I'm thinking of swapping out the Antarans' biological bombs for regular bombs.  Someone on the Steam forums mentioned they can just evacuate all of their population via civil transport and wait out the attack, so I think it would be better if their bombs could destroy structures and ultimately the colony.  

Exoclyps #97 Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:38 AM

Captain

• Players
That's all cool and dandy, I'm all for it. But if you insist on doing it that way, also can you look into and see if it is possible to deal with the 25,000 fleets that I read about? I got a feeling a mod won't be able to really fix the issue though, where I think a cap on fleet size should be made based on various conditions like galaxy size and current powers and such.

Spud_Dastardly #98 Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:51 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
25,000 fleets?  What do you mean?

Exoclyps #99 Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:58 AM

Captain

• Players
I meant ships. I read over at the Steam Forum that someone had a fleet of 2500 and ended up against a fleet of 25000.

Spud_Dastardly #100 Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:15 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
I never ran into that myself, though I only played one game with the new patch, and it was over by turn 400.  The AntaranSettings.yaml doesn't appear to have settings for their fleet size except to set a minimum fleet size for their first attack.  I do see ANTARAN_DESIRED_VICTORY_CHANCES: 50 and ANTARAN_DESIRED_VICTORY_TOLERANCE: 10.  That might have something to do with it if, say, it selects the strongest player and sends a fleet whose size is such that they are supposed to have a 50% chance of victory against the total combined military power of that race.  Thus if a player builds 2500 ships with advanced technology, the antarans would send an even larger fleet.  I'll have to do some testing.

Also tagged with mod, balance

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users