Some notes/bugs/feedback on the Elerians

Elerian Revenge of Antares Bug Linux

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Symphony0fLife #1 Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:41 PM

Ensign

• Players

Greetings! I just wanted to offer some feedback and report two bugs regarding the Elerians. First of all, they're my favorite race, so thank you for adding them!

I've noticed that in the dialog screens, as well as the race selection, the Grewind's head is... Gone. Like it's been photoshopped out. All other races are fine, old and new. It's just the Elerians. I've also noticed that in game, playing as the Elerians, the "mind control" ability seems to be some sort of placeholder, or the title bugged? I can't imagine it was intended for it to show as "FE_MIND_CONTROL". I've attached screenshots of both issues at the bottom of this post. On the topic of mind control...

The Elerians, while my favorite, feel massively overpowered. The ability to see the entire galaxy from the start wasn't a bad balance issue. The fact that you're alerted to every colonization, every movement of every fleet, every battle - feels perhaps a little much, but not too bad. But the fact that once you obtain the mind control ability and it's infinite and has an instant cooldown... Well, put it this way... I just rolled over the entire galaxy with one fleet and took over every single planet without ever having to use a colony ship, troop transport or bombard a single time. And when you do it, you instantly have everything they had on that world. Meaning no buildings are lost. All planetary defenses are built back in less than 10 turns each.

Long story short, the mind control power needs nerfed I feel. Perhaps it needs a 50+ turn cooldown or something. It just feels too powerful. Once you're to the point you can build Titans and Battleships, the game is over and you won. The only challenge for you playing as the Elerians are if the Antarans harrass you very early on before you're even remotely ready, or later, when you decide to pursue them directly. However even then they're not much of a challenge when you possess the entire galaxy and have the finance and production that comes with owning every single rock.

Great release, great patch, can't wait to see what's next! Please keep up the excellent work dev team!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Intel i7 4790k

32GB RAM

NDVIDA GTX 960 STRIX

Arch Linux

Steam

Arent11 #2 Posted 03 December 2016 - 06:17 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostSymphony0fLife, on 03 December 2016 - 04:41 PM, said:

Long story short, the mind control power needs nerfed I feel. Perhaps it needs a 50+ turn cooldown or something. It just feels too powerful. Once you're to the point you can build Titans and Battleships, the game is over and you won. The only challenge for you playing as the Elerians are if the Antarans harrass you very early on before you're even remotely ready, or later, when you decide to pursue them directly. However even then they're not much of a challenge when you possess the entire galaxy and have the finance and production that comes with owning every single rock.

How about scaling it with population/marines? Let's say, to mind control a colony you need at least a cruiser per population unit & marine. So, to take your example, for a planet with 21 pop, 17 marines & 6 tanks, you would need a fleet of at least 44 ships of size cruiser or larger. This would force you to at least use a little bombing before you can mind control, but you would still save the production cost for troop transports.

Symphony0fLife #3 Posted 03 December 2016 - 06:24 PM

Ensign

• Players

View PostArent11, on 03 December 2016 - 06:17 PM, said:

How about scaling it with population/marines? Let's say, to mind control a colony you need at least a cruiser per population unit & marine. So, to take your example, for a planet with 21 pop, 17 marines & 6 tanks, you would need a fleet of at least 44 ships of size cruiser or larger. This would force you to at least use a little bombing before you can mind control, but you would still save the production cost for troop transports.

That's an even better idea honestly. Maybe even combine that with a bit of cooldown? Or perhaps making you elect one ship in the fleet capable of using mind control, and if it's lost, the ability is gone until it's rebuilt? I just feel something needs done to tweak it. Once I got that far, I wiped the entire galaxy extremely quickly and it just feels that should never be possible. Since you don't need to bombard currently, don't need troops at all - it means once you wipe out the enemy fleet they simply cannot build fast enough to counter you. There's nothing slowing you down since invasion isn't necessary. Since planetary defenses have always been useless aside from command points from stations - really right now all you have to do as Elerians is wipe out the largest enemy fleet and they're gone. As you move planet to planet, build more Battleships and/or Titans if needed to prepare for the invasion of the next race, rinse and repeat.

Edit: And once you take over enough territory, you don't even need to build. You make several thousand BC per turn at that point and can outright buy TItan after Titan after Titan. And since you're taking so many planets, you can get station after station and *never* run into command point issues.

Edited by Symphony0fLife, 03 December 2016 - 06:34 PM.

Intel i7 4790k

32GB RAM

NDVIDA GTX 960 STRIX

Arch Linux

Steam

Arent11 #4 Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:32 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostSymphony0fLife, on 03 December 2016 - 06:24 PM, said:

That's an even better idea honestly. Maybe even combine that with a bit of cooldown? Or perhaps making you elect one ship in the fleet capable of using mind control, and if it's lost, the ability is gone until it's rebuilt? 

Another possibility would be to make planetary shields block mind control. So you would need to bombard at least until you disable planetary shields.

TheTrueObelus #5 Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:30 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

If you click on the "show info" button on the top right of the Elerian diplomacy screen it displays info on the faction, but it also blocks the Elerian leader. This should be fixed. The Elerian leader needs to be centered in the throne room.

TrueAnothername #6 Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:17 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

The Elerian Empire always (that is in Moo2 :P) had this ability to snag away unprotected planets; even with an usurping brute trying to slur the graceful Empire by turning into a junta with a warlord on top should not change that racial ability.

View PostArent11, on 03 December 2016 - 06:17 PM, said:

Who would use it then? Oo

At that point its does not matter. If you are on the faceroll road anyway its just another flavor of grabbing/dusting the others planets. If Telepathy became annoying to use the adaption would be "back to nukes" instead of lets triple up the fleet.

edit:

Upon more thinking about it... It already did was a bit odd in moo2 that the mind control was as successful as it was. I could imagine the mind controlling ship have to maintain orbit for 5 rounds to complete the "unconditional surrender". If it leaves within these 5 rounds the non-controlled population revolts like any other freshly conquered world and if within these 5 round a military vessel of the empire that initially lost the world arrives there it instantly switches back to them.

Edited by TrueAnothername, 04 December 2016 - 12:50 AM.

TrueAnothername #7 Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:20 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostTheTrueObelus, on 03 December 2016 - 11:30 PM, said:

...The Elerian leader needs to be centered in the throne room.

That ..."person" is not the empress! :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users