Antaran attacks

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Astragoth #1 Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:45 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

Heres a question do the Antarans attack anyone else? Rebuilding my orbital facilities every 15 turns or so is getting old.

Not to mention I cant really have my capital doing anything else but defending itself. For the entire game the Antarans have been

attacking me exclusively. Pick someone else please.

Ozymandyus #2 Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:09 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostAstragoth, on 03 December 2016 - 10:45 PM, said:

Heres a question do the Antarans attack anyone else? Rebuilding my orbital facilities every 15 turns or so is getting old.

Not to mention I cant really have my capital doing anything else but defending itself. For the entire game the Antarans have been

attacking me exclusively. Pick someone else please.

I've noticed that they seem to be fixated on me as well.

Astragoth #3 Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:22 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostOzymandyus, on 03 December 2016 - 11:09 PM, said:

I've noticed that they seem to be fixated on me as well.

It gets really old actually. I can beat them off but I've spent tons of both money and production just fending off the attacks.

The last two games I've played they've attacked me and only me for the entire game.

Laegad #4 Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:23 AM

Commander

• Players

It seems to me they attack players with the best score (witch one, i don't know.. perhaps it is a random part).

IMO this is a good design.

I also notice that to be a 'lucky' race has nothing to do with the probabiliy to be attacked by Antariens,

In a previous game, Gnolam were not safe against antarien attacks (in MOO2, 'lucky' can help to avoid antarien attacks)

Edited by Laegad, 05 December 2016 - 12:59 AM.

Astragoth #5 Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:36 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
Its ruining the game is what its doing. 

Ghettobible #6 Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:35 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
I've not been attacked once and I'm on the hardest setting at turn 160. They've attacked the Darloks 2 times and one other once but were beaten.

Exoclyps #7 Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:41 AM

Captain

• Players
Haven't been attacked yet. The ironic part is that I think they are more inclined to attack the AI that is packing an armada since that is giving them the score bonus to get on top. Then again, I play a higher difficulty meaning early game score is lower than the other races. Tend to be until Terraforming really kicks in and you start pumping out specialized ships.

Astragoth #8 Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:22 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
Does anyone play a custom race? Because I like to experiment. Both of my games were custom race builds.

GhostTX1 #9 Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:27 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
Ya, I'm getting pretty tired of getting picked on. Would be nice if you could capture their ships and get some of their tech when you win.

fourteenfour #10 Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:21 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

They attack the leader in the game. So if you are outstripping the other races they will come attack you. That out of the way, their fleets are way too strong even on normal difficulty. This every 50 (or whatever it is) turn thing does get old because they scale wrong. Their ship sizes go up fast and they weapon tech apparently changes.

They also need to attack more than just the leader in the game, perhaps more active fleets but smaller. Then if defeated they escalate in that area. If they are attacking only one race they are doing it wrong, but for this design team that is par for the course. They need to be a galactic scourge, not just attacking #1.

Wargaming Labs, taking the money and running. Abandons MOO CTS after their contract development staff could not deliver without ever one word to players.

Doctor_Psilon #11 Posted 05 December 2016 - 12:20 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
In my first game, the Antarans never attacked me once until the very end of the game when I had conquered a planet that they had attacked before. It was about turn 400, the Antarans attacked with a huge fleet of over 100 ships. By then, I had basically finished the tech tree and conquered Orion so I most likely could have built a fleet strong enough to beat the Antaran fleet but there was no need since I was cruising to a win. So I just ignored the Antarans, let them wipe out a couple of my planets and I won anyway. It makes me think that the Antarans need to be tweaked. In the early game, they can be a pain if they attack you because losing a fleet or losing a planet means more. In the late game, you can ignore the Antarans completely even when they attack with 100 ships since by then you have so many planets that the Antarans can wipe one out and you will still win the game. Especially, since the Antarans always retreat after attacking so you know that you will lose a planet but then they will leave again. I propose that in the late game, there should be a final Antaran attack where the Antarans actually stay and continue attacking planets instead of retreating. That way, you would be forced to stand up to them. This would also make sense thematically since the Antarans give you that warning about how they are declaring war and will eradicate you. They are not really doing that by just launching hit and run attacks. But if they stayed in the galaxy and actually tried to eliminate all your planets one by one, then it would make sense. 

Exoclyps #12 Posted 05 December 2016 - 12:36 AM

Captain

• Players
I'm with you fourteenfour, they really need to change so it attacks someone at random, rather than the #1 player. In my latest game it's like the Terrans where in a constant war with the Antarans and the other races where messing around with each other. Before this patch the Terrans would pick on a weak race and start grow into a foe able to withstand my future bullying. It's making things less exciting atm.

fourteenfour #13 Posted 05 December 2016 - 12:46 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
another major major problem is that their roving fleets have no relation in size to their home fleet. so what ever formula is being used to throw roving fleets is obviously flawed.
Wargaming Labs, taking the money and running. Abandons MOO CTS after their contract development staff could not deliver without ever one word to players.

Exoclyps #14 Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:27 AM

Captain

• Players

Haven't confirmed it, but from the looks of the yaml files the formula is a simple "fleet that equals 50% win chance". Probably compared to total fleet of the target player. Which means you'll get heavy losses ALL the time. Also means that if you spread out (say you war someone?! omg!) your defending fleet is most likely going to be decimated.

Of course, I've only had limited real time experience with the issue, but what I've heard so far seems to confirm it.

WhatIsSol #15 Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:44 AM

Commander

• Players
Looks like to me it attempts to build a fleet with a base 50% +/ 10% chance of defeating you.  Game pulls data from all your ships that it thinks can make it to it attack point (assuming they leave immediately and go straight there).  Then adds in the oribital defense ratings and from that builds its attack fleet up until it thinks the change to win is correct.

Laegad #16 Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:02 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostWhatIsSol, on 05 December 2016 - 06:44 AM, said:

Looks like to me it attempts to build a fleet with a base 50% +/ 10% chance of defeating you.

That i don't like with this systeme, is that does not encourage player to build defense.

If you are always 50% against antaran, why build defenses ? (I don't build defense against AI because i dont need)

Coyote720 #17 Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:39 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

I found the Antarans interesting because they give you reason to build defenses on your planets. However, when a portal opened up next to a system where I had my main fleet, at first I thought I'm ready for them! However, their fleet was far stronger than my entire fleet, not just my main one. They also had battleships to my cruisers even though I'm the most tech advanced race. This just doesn't seem right.

I remember in MOO2, their attacks were more like raids--at least in the early game. In this version, they are like full scale invasions by an advanced race.

I appreciate the suggested strategy to just let them attack a planet and move on. However, having a fun, fair fight would be far more interesting.

Laegad #18 Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:30 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostCoyote720, on 10 December 2016 - 04:39 PM, said:

I found the Antarans interesting because they give you reason to build defenses on your planets.

I'm not sure

That depends on the system.

If the antaran fleet is built in such a way they have 50+/-10% chance to defeat you, why should we build defense ?

Instant-built defense after the antaran fleet is on the way to your planet : yes

Build defense before... i don't know...

Edited by Laegad, 10 December 2016 - 06:32 PM.

Carl #19 Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:48 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
Basically Exoclyps hit the nail on the head. I modded for lulz defences to be a LOT tougher, they just sent lika a 100 ship fleet, (9 BB's), on their first attack. And i'm nearly certain it's based off your total military strength.

OrionSol #20 Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:56 PM

Captain

• Players
If you win, they keep coming back to you until you lose.  

Jedi Master Or-ion Sol

Founder of THE JEDI ORDER | Community of Guilds 

www.jediswtor.com 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users