A couple of suggestions/requests

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

ContentConsumer #1 Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:33 PM

Ensign

• Players

After playing for a while, I have to say that I absolutely LOVE this game! I played the heck out of MOO1 and MOO2 (never played MOO3 though), and it's really nice to see the series continue in such an excellent way.

However, I do have a couple of suggestions and requests that I think might improve the experience somewhat.

1. The ability to hire (and fire) spies similar to how leaders are currently done. The reason for this is that I'd like spies to have skills similar to leaders - that is, a spy may have a specialization in certain areas, and when they level up they may gain increased experience in that area. Here is a list of skills I'd like to see spies have:

• Defender - Gain a bonus to rooting out enemy spies.
  • Infiltrator - Reduced time to complete missions, for example -1 turn per level. Does not affect the chances to successfully complete the mission, only time required. Applies to empire and colony infiltration (does not change the requirement to infiltrate the empire first).
  • Martyr - Chance to complete the mission successfully even if captured (should be a very low percentage chance).
  • Thief - Increased chance to successfully complete a Steal Charts or Steal Tech mission.
  • Hacker - Increased chance to successfully complete a Hacking mission.
  • Conspirator - Increased chance to successfully complete a Destabilize mission.
  • Assassin - Increased chance to successfully complete an Assassination mission.
  • Saboteur - Increased chance to successfully complete a Sabotage mission.
  • Polluter - Increased chance to successfully complete a Contaminate mission.
  • Inciter - Increased chance to successfully complete a Revolt mission.

I'm not sure about the names of the skills, though - there are probably better descriptors.

2. Fleets screen additions

It's really irritating to explore the entire galaxy with a half-dozen scouts, and then when it's done have to hunt them down individually and send them home. Also, I tend to send out several factory ships to build asteroid laboratories wherever I can, and it'd be nice to be able to get them back en masse when they're done.

So I'd really like to have the following buttons in the fleets screen:

• Recall Scouts - wherever scouts are in the galaxy, sets them to travel to the Capitol.
  • Recall Factory Ships - same as scouts.
  • Recall Military Ships - same thing.
  • Recall Colony Ships - same thing.
  • Recall All Ships - recalls all ships to the capitol.

I was originally going to suggest that these buttons be placed on the main screen next to the "move" button, but I think the screen might get a little crowded with that.

3. When starting a new game, we have the option to select specific races or select a random race. I'd like the option to select a random race while excluding certain ones. I really don't like playing against the Silicoid, but I'd like to keep the rest of the races randomized if possible.

4. Blueprints screen: I'd really like to be able to customize starbases, battlestations, star fortresses, military outposts, missile bases, and beam bases. One of my major complaints about MOO2 was the inability to customize my orbital defenses. Ideally this would be an empire-wide design, and not per colony.

5. Path to Victory screen: I'd really like an "tech" graph in addition to population, score, army, etc.

6. Diplomacy screen: When selecting a minor civilization, would it be possible to tell why I cannot invest further at this time? I'm at level 3 with a civilization and I don't know if I've just hit the cap or if I'm missing something.

Also, a button to "go to planet" when looking at a minor civilization would be very nice - I'd like to tell whether I have time to send out a colony ship to add them to my territory, or if they're too close to another race and will already be under someone else's protection by the time I get there.

7. Leaders screen - I don't know if this is the fault of my screen resolution or something, but... there are a maximum of ten leaders, but only nine can be shown on the screen at a time. There's still plenty of space for another slot. It seems a little odd to have to scroll just for one option. I'd suggest either adding in another slot and getting rid of the scroll bar, or (might not be such a good idea?) increasing the maximum number of hireable leaders.

EDIT: Looking at the yaml files, it's random. Never mind. :)

8. I'd like to request the ability to put more than one jump gate in a single system. When my fleet is spread out across my entire empire, and the Antarans attack, taking extra turns moving from node to node to get to a jump gate can mean the difference between life and death. Being able to build multiple jump gates would, I think, reduce this problem somewhat.

9. I'd like the ability to build more than five military ships at once, if possible. It is rare that I ever need to, but there have been times when I've wanted to build lots of ships at once, let them produce for a while, and then buy them out all at once.

10. Is it possible to increase the size of the battlefield, and possibly add more hazards like asteroids? As it is, tactics are fairly straightforward and don't vary much between battles. A larger field and some more hazards, or even straight-up obstacles would add some real variety to combat.

• Magnetite asteroids - these asteroids tend to draw missiles off-course. Any missile that enters a small AOE around the asteroid is either deflected, or re-targets a random ship on the battlefield. I don't know if it would be a good idea or a bad idea to have them randomly target enemy and ally ships. Also, it might be interesting for smaller ships that enter the AOE to be pulled in their direction.
  • Meteor shower - the battle is taking place as a swarm of micrometeorites are shooting through the field. Every few seconds an area of the map gets a warning caret or color on it, and a few seconds after that the area is bombarded, and any ships still in the area take damage.
  • Strange nebula - these nebulae don't just cause shields to malfunction, they are composed of some strange particles or energy that disrupt beam weapon fire. Beam weapons fired in or through the nebula have an increased chance of missing completely.
  • Huge asteroids - no real hazard, but it takes up a fair chunk of the battlefield and must be navigated around before ships can get into firing position. Alternately, there could be a moon in the battlefield if the battle is taking place around a colony with one.

Not every battle needs to have hazards, but having something like this happen more often would spice things up a bit.

11. Since we can currently only have one leader per system, it might help if when selecting where a leader can go to just display the system rather than all planets in the empire, reducing screen clutter.

12. When there are multiple fleets at a single node, and some of them are guarding, some with movement, and some without, repeated clicking on the fleet should scroll through the fleets there rather than just selecting the one "on top." It's a little irritating to have to go into the fleets screen every time I've got two or more fleets on a node or planet so I can select the one I want.

13. Is it possible to allow the player to zoom out further in the main screen before hitting the "full galaxy" view? I'd like to have just a little wider field of view but not see the entire galaxy. Maybe zooming all the way from zero to maximum?

Anyway, there's my list of requests. I don't know if any developer will ever read it, but I just feel better for posting them. :)

Edited by ContentConsumer, 21 December 2016 - 04:39 PM.

ContentConsumer #2 Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:56 PM

Ensign

• Players

And a few more:

Select more than one population unit on the planet screen. Will make a tedious process of moving half the population around a little less tedious.

Is it possible to select your race's color? I don't mean ship colors or anything, I think they must be baked in - I mean what color you see on the galaxy screen. For example, I'd really like to play as Human but with an eye-catching green, yellow, or red instead of a fading blue (the blue is prettier, but I want something a bit more obvious at a glance).

For that matter, is it possible to change your race's ship types? The ones I like the look of best are Alkari, could I have those ships as any race?

A "buy all" button on the empire screen would be handy. I'm thinking of something that would either perform a quick knapsack calculation (ha ha ha!), or just go through from top to bottom buying until I run out of money.

livebyhonor #3 Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:35 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
I like a lot of your ideas but id like to suggest a few others. I know the AI acts on a predetermined set of rules but they all seem to have the same one. Making separate AI per race seems like a lot of  work but I'm thinking it may make their lore more feasible. Take for example the new race the Trilarian. In the new trailer  they clearly state "the destruction of humanity is the will of our gods". OK they start a war, 50 turns later they are begging for peace.  Were their gods idiots, or did their gods send them out to be killed off. either way if this is a highly religious race and they use their gods as reasoning for their actions, they WOULD NEVER seek peace. While we are on the Peace thing, why cant the player ask for peace?

Upgrading your people. I recall having something in MO2 that did this. When you reached certain conditions you got like 4 more racial trait points to distribute. I believe the ones i saw was the ability to go cybernetic to need less food. or go from 1 govt type to another. Im thinking if you go in the Telepathic training tree wouldnt that give you some skills like the new race the Elerian races ability to "see things". Going into Biology and cybernetics get you the cyborg trait. 

JustinCB7 #4 Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:40 PM

Ensign

• Players

I too would like to see the ability to evolve your race late in the game like you could in MOO2.  

I would also like to see the return of governments as well, but I guess they are redundant with the new choices for building your race.  Governments were a way to bundle together various abilities, but then you could 'evolve' your government later in the game as well to get bigger bonuses, or remove penalties.  

So, I think given the ability to evolve our race later in the game would resolve both issues, we can choose or create our race at the start of the game, and then improve on it later in the game based on our own choices.

I would also like to see more options for creating our games.  Being able to choose how often minor races spawn in the galaxy would be great.  Removing restrictions on the number of major races in each galaxy size would be nice as well; if I want a game where practically every system is taken at the start of the game, why not let me?

Also, I assume at some point there will be some new content with regards to ship appearances.  Are there plans for expansions with new ship artwork?  With regards to paid expansions will there be an option to buy only part of it?  For example, if new ship artwork is released, will there be an option to buy only one new theme with bundle options that include multiple themes?

ContentConsumer #5 Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:10 PM

Ensign

• Players

Evolutionary Mutation was the tech app I think you are talking about.

A couple more suggestions:

The ability to place military bases on systems without a colony. It should only be possible in systems that are adjacent (through warp point) to a a system in which you already have a colony, and unoccupied by any alien races.
The purpose of this is to prevent a problem I have with some Cluster galaxy seeds, where a system without planets is the connection point to other clusters, meaning that I have to build two or more military bases in my occupied systems and defend with two fleets instead of one - it's not a good choke point if you can't block it up properly.

The ability to "skip" colony construction for one turn - just like you can skip fleet movement assignments - would be nice.

A (toggle-able) option to play the planet biome background audio (if it can loop properly) in the colony screen. The audio heard when first colonizing a planet.

Some sort of Warp Interdictor on a warp point that slows down ships approaching that point. I'm picturing something that takes two or three turns to build (once warp interdictors have been researched). This would be a cheap way to slow down approaching enemy fleets without having to spend 5 or 10 turns on a military base. Probably set speed to nuclear-drive level, or a max-speed cap when approaching the warp point, or just a hard integer speed reduction.
Either that, or a system-unique building that does the same thing for all warp points, but I'm less happy with that idea. Ideally this wouldn't affect your own fleets - or maybe it would, but a jump gate would negate the negative. I dunno... 

Negative (or neutral?) random event that affects star lanes and warp points.
Convert a white to a red, or a red to a white, or remove it, or add it, or switch terminus systems... this should destroy anything built at the warp points, and probably affect fleets traveling along the route (slow them? damage them? destroy them? make them get lost unless there's a leader onboard with a navigator perk?).

Edited by ContentConsumer, 18 December 2016 - 06:14 PM.

ContentConsumer #6 Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:20 PM

Ensign

• Players

And two more I just thought of - 

Rally points for newly-built ships (I'm obviously not the first to think of or request this, I just thought I'd reinforce the idea :) ).

Ability to set "patrol routes" for fleets. For example, to have a fleet move in a predictable pattern from point A to B to C and so on. There should probably be a hard cap on the number of points you could set, or maybe distance-based. I'm not sure how the UI would be set up for this though...

This would really help out in larger galaxies so you could have a scouting fleet patrol an area far away from your center of power where you can't normally see. I'm not sure how much utility it would have defensively speaking, but I could still see using it on my home colonies.

Coyote720 #7 Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:19 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

Block Quote

12. When there are multiple fleets at a single node, and some of them are guarding, some with movement, and some without, repeated clicking on the fleet should scroll through the fleets there rather than just selecting the one "on top." It's a little irritating to have to go into the fleets screen every time I've got two or more fleets on a node or planet so I can select the one I want.

Look for the tabs that let you select which fleet you want without going to the fleets screen.

Block Quote

Select more than one population unit on the planet screen. Will make a tedious process of moving half the population around a little less tedious.

You can select multiple population units by Ctrl-clicking.

ContentConsumer #8 Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:13 PM

Ensign

• Players

View PostCoyote720, on 25 December 2016 - 03:19 AM, said:

Look for the tabs that let you select which fleet you want without going to the fleets screen.

You can select multiple population units by Ctrl-clicking.

I'm learning new stuff about this game every day. :) I'll give the crtl-clicking a shot, thanks!

What tabs are you talking about though? I don't see anything like that...

Dyolf_Knip #9 Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:00 PM

Ensign

• Players
It really needs a "Troop Transport x5" construction option.

Alain_Vollant #10 Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:23 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

It is there! If you click on troop transport, there is a small arrow that let you select from 1 to 5... look it up, :)

Coyote720 #11 Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:09 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostContentConsumer, on 26 December 2016 - 01:13 PM, said:

What tabs are you talking about though? I don't see anything like that...

If you click on a fleet on the main map to show your ships in that fleet or to give orders, there are tabs if there is more than one fleet at that location (Fleet A, Fleet B, etc.).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users