Questions From a Noob

noob questions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

GeneralSeay #1 Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:13 PM

Ensign

• Players

I just bought this game a couple days ago and I'm really enjoying it, I've completed 3 games so far. The first time through I played on the very easy "difficulty" (just to learn the game) and picked the Meklar because they looked cool (trust me, it's really important), had improved production (I used to play the Civilization games so I knew that production is what wins games like this), had reduced food consumption (I didn't know yet how food would work in this game but I reasoned that lower food consumption meant either a faster growing population or a population that could be better focused on other things, both of which leading to higher production), ship auto repair (seemed really forgiving to a beginner like me and I've always been a fan of passive regenerating/repairing in every genre of games) and the Meklar didn't have any drawbacks like the way the Klackon did (lack of drawbacks seemed like the safer choice). My opinion of the Meklar remains the same, they're a well-rounded and solid choice for beginners but lack anything fancy for a more experienced player to really take advantage of. For my second game I thought I would try out the Silicoids because they looked cool (notice a pattern here?), ability to terraform those pesky volcanic planets, not having to worry about food at all (it seemed like a good idea at the time, I'll admit I may have been wrong there) and the only trait that I recognized to be a drawback at the time was worsened negotiations (I didn't think it would be too big of a deal because diplomacy didn't play a large part in my first game). I'll admit that it was significantly harder than I was expecting and not because of the difficulty I set the AI to but because I didn't know what I was doing with them at first, between the slow rate of population growth and my need to build everything on a planet I was running a deficit on and off during mid-game. For my third and most recent game I played on normal difficulty again but this time around as the Elerians because they're omniscient (not only would I know which planets to colonize from the start but also which systems to go for first to establish borders with the other races as far away from my capitol as possible giving me a large number of systems to grow into), improved diplomatic negotiations (to talk my way out of any land disputes early on), ability to mind control entire planets (no time, production or credits wasted on alien management centers and no worry of ever having to make troop transports or equip my ships with bombs and spend time bombing and/or invading each planet), improved beam weapon stats (I was eager to try out something other than missiles), again no drawbacks and of course boobs (sue me). The Elerians were fun but omniscience can get you into some trouble early on (Darloks demand my star charts, I refused, they declared war, it was long bloody, I lost a planet, I fell behind on colonization and spent most of the game playing catch up in nearly every category). I won all three of these games with the Antaran victory condition (I disabled the technological, economic and diplomatic victory conditions) with every technology in the tree (and a lot of extra applications gained from other races), more than half of the galaxy under my control (including Orion), over 200,000 BC in the bank, at least 10,000 BC per turn in excess tax revenue, a fleet powerful enough to conquer everything else in the galaxy and the production to replace it should it be necessary. I've found that early and mid-game to be the hardest when everyone is jostling for power and gobbling up as many systems as possible but late-game to be fairly easy once a bit of a lead has been established. I think I've played enough to have some questions but not yet enough to have learned the answers on my own, here they are:

1. My first question has to do with biomes, when I played as the Silicoids I noticed that while I didn't need food to grow I still found it in my best interest to keep pollution under control and to terraform planets for the additional production cells (and max population on gaia planets). Is that intended because it felt like the whole point of the Silicoids was to not have to worry about food and by extension terraforming or pullution?

2. Are uber planets as good as gaia planets? And can they be terraformed into gaia planets with the appropriate tech? Because from what I've read they don't seem as good as gaia planets and they don't give the races that have access to them any long term advantages once trans genetics has been researched and gaia transformation is unlocked.

3. Is there any way of terraforming volcanic planets (besides making them inferno planets if playing as the Silicoids) without giving them to another player, declaring war and then blowing them up with a stellar converter? Because if you can compress gas giants and assemble asteroid fields into normal barren planets then something as relatively simple as stabilizing the crust on a volcanic planet doesn't seem like it would be all that hard to do. I mean it make things a lot easier for me at least because I generally don't like starting wars or worsening my diplomatic relations with other races without good reason. On a somewhat related note, can you use a stellar converter on an uninhabited planet and if so does it still negatively impact your relations with other races?

4. What are the Trilarians good at? They only have 2 traits, aquatic and transdimensional and neither seems all that great. The aquatic trait isn't all that useful (see question 2) and their only other trait is transdimensional which is great in early game but I don't think it's enough. Compare them to the Alkari who also get faster ships along with +25% beam attack, +25% beam defense and a large homeworld with artifacts on it. The Trilarians imo are directly inferior to the Alkari who are fairly average as far as races go. Is there something I'm missing like some sort of synergy or hidden stat? I think they could be at least mediocre if they just had something like improved disposition which would mesh well with their in-game description.

5. Outfitting ships is a lot of fun but I feel like the kinds of weapons you're best off arming your ships with in late-game is decided by which techs you choose in mid-game (unless you're playing as an uncreative race and the choice is made for you or you're playing as the Psilons and you get everything). I read somewhere that missiles were the best but I also read somewhere else that they had been nerfed and I don't know which post was more recent or if either is still accurate in the current build. When I played as the Meklar most of my late-game ships used nuclear missiles (cheap), dauntless and achilles to maximize the 1-shot kill chance. When playing as the Silicoids I went for mirv zeon missiles and dauntless. And when I was playing as the Elerians I primarily went for heavy mounted plasma beams (they're the most advanced beam weapons, right?) along with some other systems like structural analyzer and hyper-x capacitors to play up the Elerian beam weapon racial traits. I have a lot of other questions about outfitting ships but I don't think this is the right thread for them.

6. I've found myself in all three games leaving the Psilons alive when I had a much larger empire and significantly better tech just so that I could get the technologies that I missed. I would even go so far as to give them research buildings like the astro university just to hurry them along. Is there a better way of getting everything that I missed (deep core mine, I'm looking at you)? I know this isn't in game but it would be cool if when researching evolving technologies every so often you get a random tech that you missed.

7. When conquering planets, do the conquered race's citizens retain their racial cell output values or do they gain the conquering race's racial cell output values? For example, if I'm playing as the Humans and I conquer a Klackon planet, do the Klackon citizens retain their +25% production output and -25% research output or do they functionally become Humans with standard cell output values? Would taxes work the same way? Because I could see the Gnolams getting a lot more out of taxing conquered Human citizens than Humans ever getting out of conquered Gnolam citizens.

8. I'm a bit of a perfectionist (as seen with me wanting every tech and wanting to terraform even volcanic planets) so in mid and late game I try to construct every building on a given planet and terraform it to gaia before setting its production to export, trade goods or the manufacturing of warships. The main exceptions to this in peacetime are I only build pollution reducing structures on planets as they need them (when their biomes can no longer support the population and industry), I only build orbital shipyards and space elevators on planets with an interplanetary administration or are alone in their system and I generally only ever build a geosynchronous warehouse on my capitol planet. This leads to me having a major structure upkeep cost in mid-game that raising taxes to 4 BC/pop sometimes doesn't even leave me breaking even and forcing me to raise it to 5 BC/pop (it was awful when playing as the Silicoids). Of course this problem goes away once I can get a galactic currency exchange but until then my less developed worlds that don't yet have morale increasing buildings often struggle with citizens going on strike further lengthening the amount of time until the planet is "complete." Should I be maxing out every planet like this or be leaving my less important planets (small and tiny planets with poor or ultra poor resources) especially those in systems with no moons to just output trade goods and farm the population for cash?

9. Caused by circumstances listed in the previous question I've found myself in mid-game unable to keep my fleet leftover from early game (if I ever made one) fully upgraded because what little cash I am making at the time generally goes towards buying automated factories and gravity generators in my newly settled colonies. But what really makes things dangerous is that at this point in the game all of my planets are too busy terraforming or building structures (or maybe building some colony ships for the few planets that do remain unclaimed and lack ) so in the case of an attack my fleet would be outnumbered by bigger and more advanced ships. Take my last game as the Elerians for example, after beating back the Darloks I had some destroyers and a frigate leftover but I couldn't afford to upgrade their weapons to fusion beams for the longest time and I my first new warship after that war was a titan, had the Bulrathi, Psilons, Terran, Humans or Trilarians attacked me I would've had to rely on military outposts and planetary defenses until I could put together a few ships. Are these static defenses enough to fend off a mid-game attack if you're tied or slightly ahead on tech or in the future should I focus more on maintaining the size and strength of my fleet?

10. Back to planets again, if I blow up a planet and then reassemble it, will the size remain the same or can it change? The reason why I ask is that when you blow up any planet with a stellar converter an asteroid field is left behind and when space factory artificially constructs a planet out of an asteroid field it is guaranteed to be large or huge so does that mean you can turn a tiny planet into a huge planet or does the game remember the planet's stats to prevent this from happening? If it does recalculate the size (and therefore break the laws of physics by creating matter) does it also recalculate the mineral richness? What about things like artifacts, gold and gems because I know that it wouldn't make much sense but we're talking about enlarging using explosions (yeah blowing planets up by blowing them up)?

11. Does the game prevent you from using a stellar converter on Orion? I haven't tried and I've seen nothing to indicate that it would but Orion gets a unique cutscene when your colony ship and I wonder if it how the game would handle a colony ship arriving on a barren Orion.

12. Why do three different races get some sort of ground combat improvement when it's such a relatively insignificant part of the game? Ignoring free starting techs (because they don't provide much help even in the beginning of a game and make 0 impact by the end of the game even if they're good for flavor and are a nice throwback to when races had specific fields of technology that they were better at researching than anyone else) and an uber planet (see question 2) two of those races have almost nothing going for them besides their ground combat. No matter how great the ground troops are on a planet an attacker will always be able to bring more troop transports or drop more bombs and if a planet is somehow too tough of a nut to crack then attacker can just blow the whole planet up and rebuild it later. As the Mrrshan are undoubtedly the best at ground combat they're consequently the greatest subject to its general lack of relevance and their single trait that doesn't have have to do with ground combat and actually carries some semblance relevance through the end of a game is their improved negotiations and while that can be pretty good in certain scenarios it just isn't enough on its own. The Bulrathi aren't quite as heavily invested in their marines as the Mrrshan are with only a ground combat rating improvement and nothing else but their other traits are fairly mediocre I mean a large homeworld that's rich in minerals is certainly great in getting those first few colony ships out the door but after that you should have enough planets that some small stat differences on any one of them doesn't really affect the overall strength of your empire and tolerance to high gravity just isn't all that important because most of the high gravity planets that I've colonized were at one point asteroid fields or gas giants (by the time you're creating planets you have access to gravity generators so the high gravity tolerance just saves you a bit of time spent on production and some upkeep costs). The Terran seem like they're the best of the three and that's likely because their only claim to good ground combat is faster training of marines so they can be good at things besides ground combat without being overpowered like faster ship production, additional command points, extra beam attack and increased morale all of which are useful through the end of a game. Oh and if that wasn't a strong enough case against great ground combat then I need to introduce you to the Elerians.

13. In a new colony it's obviously better to go for structures with lower production costs and provide flat bonuses as opposed to worker bonuses and to prioritize anything increasing production and food output before stuff like research or cash. But past that I'm a little unsure, I usually go with flat production, then flat food, then gravity generator (if needed), then worker production, then worker food, then terraform, and then everything else (however I'll throw a morale building in early if too many workers are on strike and I have the cash on hand to buy it instantly and later on I might instantly buy a planetary administration on the planet that I was already planning on giving it to just to share the food and prevent any colony from falling behind in population). Is this the best way to go about it or is there a better way?

Edited by GeneralSeay, 10 December 2016 - 01:14 PM.

Ogarious #2 Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:40 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

I will comment on question 3 first.  No, as far as I know there is no way to upgrade Volcanic planets.  Now then, in comparison that it should be easier just to terraform a volcanic planet then blow it up and reconstitute it into a barren planet.  Not exactly.  Think of it this way.  If you have a really old and hard to fix item, a computer, or a sink in a house, or a water heater (Whatever works for you for this example)  Is it easier to just upgrade it then just scrap it out and get a new system?  A lot of times it's just easier to scrap it out and start over.  Often cheaper too....  That's the way I look at planets.  Especially if your going to be able to blow up a planet and reconstitute it into a larger version.  (Smaller planets when blown up can be reconstructed into larger barren planets, then you can just terraform your way to gaia!)

Next I'll go with question 5.  It is all up to you.  End game while the weapons dont balance out, you can build different combinations to really wreck some havok in space battles.  I myself am partial to the plasma beams.  There are a lot of better weapons out there.  But I'll stack the hell out of them on my larger ships and with certain specials just completely wipe out enemy fleets.  That's up to you though.  

Question 6:  Well, you can steal it!  Yes, I'm looking at you spies out there.  While you dont get to pick and choose what tech you steal when your doing that.  Eventually you can get what you want.  Now I'm not sure if in this version of MoO if you have the ability to capture tech while capturing a enemy planet.  But that used to be a option too.

I will take a shot at question 9.  It all depends on how well you get along with your neighbors.  If everyone hates you, then no.  Your going to need a large standing army and jumpgates to leap from battle field to battle field.  And dont even get me started on the Antarians....  If you do things kinda how I end up doing them.  I play nice with my neighbors until I get my planets all set up in groups.  Example.  I have 4 planets in 3 star clusters.  Lets just say there is 1 outside warp routes into each of the 3 clusters, and they are call connected by 1 warp route as well.  On the outside routes I will build my outposts and put a ship or two.  And keep the rest stationed at a fleet on a few planets.  So if I see a push coming from 1 way I can send all my ships as quickly as I can to that one outpost and tear em a new one.

I answered Question 10 in the beginning.  And I have no idea whether or not you can blow up the Orion planet, why would you though.  If someone else takes the planet, I imagine you can.  But when you beat the guardian the planet becomes free for colonization.  The planet itself does not have to be taken.

Also tagged with noob, questions

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users