Captain

• Players
Which file is that in?  I don't see it in RaceTypes.yaml
“Impossible is not a word. It's just a reason for someone not to try.”
- Kutless

Exoclyps #62 Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:22 AM

Captain

• Players
Look at things like "Jungle Creature" and those traits. Should get you in the direction.

trbeier #63 Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:37 AM

Captain

• Players

Ah...  Found it!  

homeworldBiomeChances:

Thanks!  :-)

“Impossible is not a word. It's just a reason for someone not to try.”
- Kutless

Exoclyps #64 Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:34 AM

Captain

• Players

So it has been a while since I last posted here. Mostly because I was kinda done with my first version and the testing started. The testing.

Could say I hit a roadblock. To put it simply:
Effectiviness of Farming and Production is good, medium and bad as in the first meep will perform a lot better than the last. I'm sure we all know of this by now, but lets just say I know a lot more about it now.

It's based on size. Meaning that if you have an average of 3, first 33% will get 4 in output, middle 33% will get 3 and last 33% will get 2. Not 100% as straigtforward as that, but close enough.

Say we have a medium world. Max pop is 16, with 8 production and 8 food.
So if the average was 3 you'd get something like 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 2, 2. You get the idea.
Terran would unlock 7 of the 8 slots for food which means you get 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 2. All good, cool!

Now increase size by 50% and we get 12 food slots as max which results in 4, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2. So say that I want to adjust the Terran biome to unlock 7 slots all of sudden their performance changes to 4, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3. Subtle improvement you could say, but I think this is what keept the breeder races in check. They might previously had 1-2 pop more than you, but those last 2 pops had marginal performans improvements. Increasing by 50% I kind of increase their performance as well without actually really increasing the performance for the weaker races.

This has resulted in the breeder races having an easy time outclassing all other races. This has made me reconsider the whole idea of increasing max size of the planets in favor of biome differensation and I've started to look into alternative options.

After all, a cavernous race lives underground, we live above ground, in skyscrapers. So in reality, do they really have more living space than us? Perhaps just that they have it cheaper to maintain theirs. So my idea is to look into other options in making the ubers unique other than max population.

I really haven't gotten further on that point just yet. I gave Jungle a slight food bonus with a slight less pollution and grassland the other way around. But still, that just makes grassland a real good choice while Jungle is a bad move since the lower pollution resistance hurts you more than the extra food would benefit you.

All that said, I've still got a lot work done on making sure that more races use different biomes, so it's not all for nothing :)

Edited by Exoclyps, 01 February 2017 - 08:35 AM.

Idunai #65 Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:17 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

Hi, you mentioned (earlier in your thread) the possibilty for making uber biomes unique by introducing buildings that only can be build on that very biome. In my opinion that is a good way of giving some bonuses to uber biomes and make them more viable. This special buildings should not be reduced to only production or food or science things to make them unique. Here are some suggestions, that came to my mind:

Geothermic energy core (-15% ship costs)

biome: Inferno

The only thing you don't need at a place like an inferno planet is an energy plant. Since there is no energy management in MoO the unlimited amount of energy could be displayed in a reduce to ship costs because they don't need common energy facilities like on other planets. -15% to ship costs seems pretty good.

jungle warfare facility (50% extra amount of marines and tanks) (Maybe advanced troop transports)

biome: tropical

A jungle can be a hard place to fight in. Races that like to dwell on those planets are well trained for this special combat. Gaia might be slightly better for production or food, but tropical should be much harder to invade. Additionally (if that bonus seems not strong enough) advanced troop transports (upgraded ship type) can be build there, which grants +6 marines. With the marine pods tech this ends up in a total of +12 marines per troop transport.

Hunters amusement park (+15% moral, +15% to security and spys are granted an 200% expierence bonus when trained)

biome: grassland

there is nothing the young Mrrshan kitten like more than hunt their prey in the endless fields of a grassland planet. They learn to be passioned and to wait for the right time to let their fangs do their work they are meant for like the ancient predators did in the old days. this results in happier people (They are so happy, they could purr^^) and well trained and the most deadliest spys.

For Ocean and cavernous i have some ideas (like an deep sea filter: -25 pollution) but nothing nothing that convienced me right now.

I hope you like the ideas so far.

Exoclyps #66 Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:38 AM

Captain

• Players

Some nice ideas. I especially like the Geothermic Energy Core since it goes with my initial ideas of Inferno planets being the best production planets, and after all, what we want to produce the most that takes time is ships. Would even make up a bit for the lesser population I'd imagine.

The Jungle Warfare Facility, while it makes sense for a Jungle World is quite honestly, near useless. Currently a few extra marines won't really be worth it, as it stands Ground Combat is such a weak part of the game, that the only benefit you're seeing here is that the enemy might have to send a few extra transports (might, since even if you up the max marines, it doesn't up the speed as which they are trained). It is on the other hand possible to create such facility though, so maybe it could be one out of many buildings. Like a better version of the marine barracks.

However the Advanced Troop Transports is not something that can be done with a mod, I'm afraid.

I like the Hunters Amusment Park, as it's an interesting building. The problem with the morale here is though that all we're seeing is that you can replace another morale building with it, since you can't increase tax unless all your planets got it, so a very limited bonus there I'm afraid. The bonus to security and spies on the other hand is very interesting! I kinda like that, but we also have to keep in mind what races would use the planet. Currently I've got it set for Meklars and Mrrshan to use Grassland for different reasons. Neither are really spy races though.

Deep Sea Filter is interesting. But lets also keep in mind that Ocean also get the Deep Sea Cooling Facility together with Terran and Gaia, so that's one bonus available, which though is quite weak.  The main though though that I want to make sure of here is that Ocean doesn't become the best production biome due to pollution. I want races like Meklars and Klackon to ultimately have the best biomes for that (as to make their production bonus actually a bonus)

One building I've got in the works to reintroduce into the game is the Solar Kiln (http://masteroforion....com/Solar_kiln). I was considering limiting it to Grassland and maybe Cavernous. But then again, this is just at the same level as the Deep Sea Cooling and more unique buildings would be cool!

Also on a slightly different node, might be slightly off-topic for Terraforming. I've started to look into "colony projects" as an idea. Invisible buildings that costs 0 production and gives small bonuses. Haven't actually managed to create an invisible building yet though :D

Idunai #67 Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:02 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

In my opnion there is no need of absolut balance. See it more like an asymmetric balance. The Geothermic energy core is the best uber biome building and Jungle Warfare Facility is weaker. If it is possible a population growth bonus (like 25 %) on top will make it more useful. But i think it adds some flavor to a jungle race like the sakkra. Thats why i think a "upgraded" marine barrack fits the purpose there.

I get your point about the morale thing with the Hunter amusement Park. But what if the hunters pay for the right to hunt there. So the bonus could be +1 BC per worker and +15% to security. With the non spy races you are right, so no better spies.

For oceanic planets an idea poped up, but i don't know if thats possible with a mod:

Planetary evaporation shield: These massive planetary shields not only protect planets from radiation, they also safe planets for loosing water via evaporation. They even culminate all water recources to the limit. Bonus: Upgrade biome to Ocean if radiated +25 to planetary defense. So they are not only slightly better defense shields, for aquatic races radiated planets become significantly more useful. The tech is achieved with the ocean terraform project.

For the asymmetric approach not the ocean biome is affected itself, the way to get their is more effective.

The Hive Nest (+3 to food; +5 to production; +2 food per worker; +2 production per worker)

biome: cavernous

The Hive Nest administers the food and production of the swarm. 

Because the Hive Nest is not so unique how it works (simply a good building), cavernous biomes could get a tech like the city planning thing (swarm intelligence) that increases the max population of cavernous planets buy +3 (if thats even possible to do )

The solar kiln is a cool thing maybe adding -5 pollution to make it more viable.

Edited by Idunai, 02 February 2017 - 02:18 PM.

Exoclyps #68 Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:44 PM

Captain

• Players

I do have to agree though that Jungle Warfare Facility fits very well for a Jungle planet. It also fits well with Sakkra and how they had good planetary defense in earlier games.

Darlok doesn't really have the Marine Bonus, but makes sense for a world dark and mysterious to be hard to conquer, so I'm all cool with that.

On the Evaporation Shield though, I'm afraid it's not possible as far as I know to create such a building. Cool idea though.

The Hive Nest would be quite OP to be honest. Does compensate for the extra population missing out, but it's quite the bonus. I do like the idea though.
Now that population bonus is something I would really have wanted to do, but yet again I'm afraid that is not something that can be done with a mod as far as I'm aware.

Gonna think some more about it over the weekend and try to not just turn down your ideas but also come up with ideas on my own as well. Mostly good ideas though, just a shame that the modding in this game is as limited as it is.

Edited by Exoclyps, 03 February 2017 - 12:44 PM.

Idunai #69 Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:00 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

I never felt that you'r turning down my ideas. On point criticism is the fertilizer of creativity. Your the expert for modding, so I just throw in some ideas and hope to help.

Well to balance the Hive nest i forgot to tell, that it should be limited to one per system and the production needed should be really high. So you have to choose: benefit in the long run or block your main production for quite a while. 1000 to 1500 should do the job. And it should be a more lategame buidling.

Yes i would have hoped that the modding possibilities are wider. Don't understand why they limited the options there.

Excited to read your ideas on the topic.

Have a nice weekend

Edited by Idunai, 03 February 2017 - 11:05 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users