• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

trbeier #1 Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:07 AM

Captain

• Players

Hi Everyone!  I have just posted my new Mega Mod on My Site or Steam!  Who ever said life is fair?  This mod is for people who like to be different.  I have tried to make the races very strong in their own right with up to 3.5 times the food, finance, production, research, spying or population growth.

T-Best = Tony’s Favorite / Best Mods (not just mine)

T-Best = The Only (and therefore Best) Unbalanced Mega Mod!

This Uber Mega Mod contains:

breckwilhite’s

•          Corvette

Spud Dastardly's:

•          Volcanic Cooling
  •          Instant Gaia Terraforming
  •          Future Technologies / Evolving Technologies (From 5X)

My:

I thought, why reinvent the wheel?  So I borrowed a few techs from my friends and added them to my own.  The result:

-The Corvette is a military ship smaller than a frigate, but faster.

-The Corvette and all the other ships are equipped to be stronger (Torpedoes, etc.)

-You have a very good chance of getting 4 or 5 planets in each star system (except for brown stars).

-Your second planet in the home system should now be habitable.

-Volcanic cooling and Instant Gaia Terraforming are on the Tech Tree.

-The tech tree is extended with ship module miniaturizations as well as a few extras.

-I have also added to the tech tree a second chance to get optional technologies, many of them way before you normally get the chance.  For example, as part of the Xeno Relations branch, you can now also choose if you want Xeno Psychology or Troop Transports.  Because these are selectable technologies you should be able to steal them as well.

-Warp Speed allows you to play 2, 3, or 4 times faster than Normal.

-Oh, and did I mention that it allows unlimited DoomStars?

Please let me know what you like and don't like, there is always room for improvement.

Edited by trbeier, 26 December 2016 - 08:39 AM.

“Impossible is not a word. It's just a reason for someone not to try.”
- Kutless

Omega_Weapon #2 Posted 26 December 2016 - 05:14 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
The new corvette class sounds cool. The tech tree modifications seem nice as well.

trbeier #3 Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:18 AM

Captain

• Players

Thanks!

I can't take too much credit for the Corvette, I tried doing it before, but was having problems.  Breckwilhite wrote the Corvette module.

I am still refining the Tech Tree, so if you have any ideas, I would love to hear them.

- Kutless

trbeier #4 Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:11 PM

Captain

• Players
I made the tech tree so that you could get a chance at advanced tech early, and also get a second chance at it.  Also, getting advanced but opposite techs made the differences even greater.  However, because the game seems to not keep track of what tech you already have, the game seems more complicated and confusing.  So, I am planning to take out most (if not all) of the extra tech branches, and i am planning to work on semi custom tech trees for each race.  What do you think?
- Kutless

drewklar #5 Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:55 PM

Commander

• Players
The semi-custom tech-trees sound great, as that could help to make the races feel more unique, perhaps encourage more espionage, since that's the only way technology can be stolen by force.

trbeier #6 Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:44 PM

Captain

• Players

View Postdrewklar, on 02 January 2017 - 01:55 PM, said:

The semi-custom tech-trees sound great, as that could help to make the races feel more unique, perhaps encourage more espionage, since that's the only way technology can be stolen by force.

My Darloks are the greatest spies around!  They can steal anything!  ;-)

Since you mentioned stealing tech, what tech should be stealable, but is not currently available?

- Kutless

Partythenwork #7 Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:17 PM

Commander

• Players

i am playing the mod and screwing around with it, and here's what i would like to see:

1) allow the corvettes to auto-explore like the scouts (which should end the need for scouts eventually)

EDIT: the ShipHullTypes.yaml file and add "canAutoExplore: true" to the corvette

2) clean-up the tech tree.  a lot of options you get to select more than once, but sometimes you can't remember what you chose in the past (like you saved a game and exited out and did some other stuff and came back to the game and forgetting where you were at)

3) create a volcanic terraform where you can change any biome into a volcanic biome (for the silicoids)

i'll put up more as i play

Edited by Partythenwork, 03 January 2017 - 12:27 PM.

trbeier #8 Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:20 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostPartythenwork, on 03 January 2017 - 04:17 AM, said:

i am playing the mod and screwing around with it, and here's what i would like to see:

1) allow the corvettes to auto-explore like the scouts (which should end the need for scouts eventually)

EDIT: the ShipHullTypes.yaml file and add "canAutoExplore: true" to the corvette

2) clean-up the tech tree.  a lot of options you get to select more than once, but sometimes you can't remember what you chose in the past (like you saved a game and exited out and did some other stuff and came back to the game and forgetting where you were at)

3) create a volcanic terraform where you can change any biome into a volcanic biome (for the silicoids)

i'll put up more as i play

1) I was thinking of this too, but you said it, so I changed this for the next release!  :-)

2) I also was thinking this, and my nephew said it, so I had changed this already for the next release.

3) I don't think there is any advantage to making a volcanic biome for the silicoids.  As far as I know they treat all biomes the same.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that only the mineral richness affects them, right?  Oh...  I think that the population cap is effected, but the volcanic population cap is lower than most other biomes, so this would probably kill your people, wouldn't it?

So, definitely good suggestions.  I have made two of the changes you recommended, and I am willing to do the third, if there is any benefit.  I am not sure when I will release the next update, I am playing a game on each race to figure out what their handicaps are and to give them a bonus tech branch in the middle of the tree (not sure if this will work, but I am trying).  So far I have:

Psilons getting:

- galactic_currency_exchange
                - galactic_cybernet
                - cyber_security_link

Sakkra getting:

- Advanced city planning.

Again, I am not sure if the game will let me do this, but I will do my best.  Please keep the comments coming!  :-)

- Kutless

trbeier #9 Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:39 PM

Captain

• Players

So, I thought I can't make you wait for an update, so I thought I would release a Beta.  Well, since I haven't tested the Corvette changes, it is actually an Alpha.  But anyway, if you want it, here it is:

http://tonybeier.com...MegaModBeta.zip

- Kutless

Partythenwork #10 Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:22 PM

Commander

• Players

View Posttrbeier, on 03 January 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

1) I was thinking of this too, but you said it, so I changed this for the next release!  :-)

2) I also was thinking this, and my nephew said it, so I had changed this already for the next release.

3) I don't think there is any advantage to making a volcanic biome for the silicoids.  As far as I know they treat all biomes the same.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that only the mineral richness affects them, right?  Oh...  I think that the population cap is effected, but the volcanic population cap is lower than most other biomes, so this would probably kill your people, wouldn't it?

So, definitely good suggestions.  I have made two of the changes you recommended, and I am willing to do the third, if there is any benefit.  I am not sure when I will release the next update, I am playing a game on each race to figure out what their handicaps are and to give them a bonus tech branch in the middle of the tree (not sure if this will work, but I am trying).  So far I have:

Psilons getting:

- galactic_currency_exchange
                - galactic_cybernet
                - cyber_security_link

Sakkra getting:

- Advanced city planning.

Again, I am not sure if the game will let me do this, but I will do my best.  Please keep the comments coming!  :-)

the volcanic and inferno biomes both have 100 pollution absorption.  i personally would up the inferno biome's pollution absorption to 200.  otherwise you are correct there's not much difference. 

also the issue with pollution is that if you ever hit 350 pollution on your volcanic biome which i have done, when it degrades it doesn't change but it does take out some buildings.

trbeier #11 Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:16 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostPartythenwork, on 03 January 2017 - 11:22 AM, said:

the volcanic and inferno biomes both have 100 pollution absorption.  i personally would up the inferno biome's pollution absorption to 200.  otherwise you are correct there's not much difference. 

also the issue with pollution is that if you ever hit 350 pollution on your volcanic biome which i have done, when it degrades it doesn't change but it does take out some buildings.

So I found:

Here is a list of maximum population sizes:

• Small Gaia & Tropical/Cavernous/Grasslands: 12 max pop
  • Small Terran: 10
  • Small Ocean, Arid, & Swamp: 9
  • Small Tundra & Desert: 7
  • Small Barren & Inferno: 6
  • Small Toxic, Radiated, & Volcanic: 4

So, I can make you a separate mod that can convert a toxic, or radiated to volcanic, and you could degrade the biome until you get there.  However, you are really limiting your population to about 1/3 it's potential.

- Kutless

Exoclyps #12 Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:46 AM

Captain

• Players

So I finally got around to look at your mod in-game! I'll star off with a few questions and thoughts I had.

I saw that you gave the Darlok Missions Risk (shouldn't that be Mission though? Considering you got no localization file I figure that is a problem the dev caused). Does this trait properly work? I wanted to modify the Darloks to have Mission Risk trait but wasn't actually able to find such trait, could be something with 5X that I'm using normally. So was surprised when I saw you had it.

With some testing it does seem like it works as intended. So that would be the solution to my new Darloks. Thanks for the inspiration!

I must say that I do like that you're giving each race some unique tech. I kind of wanted to go down the same path myself actually, but rather than as a compliment to the original 4 starting tech I wanted to replace them.

Looking at the Tech Tree it looks like everyone can get all the race specific techs? Like I Loaded up the game as Psilons and I can see "Sakkra Advanced City" and Alkari Figther Bays and so on. As I understand you wanted to give each race their unique techs? What you can do is make their starting tech a requirement for it to unlock and it will be grayed out for other players. You'll have to make sure to move around the starting tech in the tree to avoid those lines you're getting though.

Oh! Survival Pods. That must been part of the base game that got lost in 5X. Gotta make sure to re-enable that in my TechTree!

Also interesting choice on giving the Recylotron a +2 production. In an earlier version of my mod I used to give Recyclotron +10% production and made the building system unique. I removed that after the devs officially released the building.

Overall the approach of making things unbalanced is interesting and might be what the game need to actually competitive in the long run. Since in 5X where the races are near perfectly balanced, they always end up in a stalemate. Here we might see end games where one or two races actually have taken a huge advantage.

However I've invested way to much in my own mod that is an extension to 5X (redoing the tech tree myself as well as works on Terraforming and some other stuffs) so I'll end up sticking to that. But keep up the work, quite a few interesting stuffs included in the mod that I like.

And a picture on how the tech tree looks for me with only your mod loaded:

Spoiler

Partythenwork #13 Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:20 AM

Commander

• Players

i also made a few changes.  for one the mega colony ship i had no idea what it was doing, so i went ahead and edited the description and made a few changes (in the shiphulltypes.yaml)

i thought it was cute to have a different specialized colonizer for toxic worlds or radiated ones, but why not just have them all bundled up in a single mega one?  i guess you could put whatever you wanted in them, but this is what i stacked it with.

- key: hull_mega_colony
            name: "Mega Colony Ship"
            description: "Colony ship with automated factory, hydroponic farm, research laboratory, toxics processor, government building, planetary radiation shield, robominers, cloning center"
            space: 1000
            cost: 865
            hp: 500
            tacticalHPIcon: ContentPrefabs/Tactical/HealthBarIcons/civilian.png
            icon: assets/ships/%civ%/%type%/ship_colony.png
            hullScale: 1.0
            hullPrefab: /ContentPrefabs/FleetIconsStarSystem/%civ%/fleeticon_race_%civ%_colony
            acceleration: 0.4
            angularAcceleration: 0.2
            baseDriveVelocity: 1
            bestDriveVelocity: 1.6
            maxVelocity: 1.6
            maxAngularVelocity: 0.3
            velocityFriction: 0.02
            angularFriction: 0.05
            flagType: colony
            flagPriority: 0
            fleetSupportCost: 1
            isUnarmed: true
            hullClass: 1
            tacticalVictoryDelay: 5.0
            civilianRequired: true
            canColonize: true
            weaponSlots: 0
            specialSlots: 1
            allowMassProduction: true
            CPAffectedByTechAch: true
            colonizationStructures:
                - structure_colony_base
                - structure_automated_factory
                - structure_hydroponic_farm
                - structure_research_laboratory
                - structure_colonial_revenue_services
                - structure_government_building
                - structure_planetary_radiation_shield
                - structure_robominers
                - structure_toxics_processor
                - structure_cloning_center

Partythenwork #14 Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:44 AM

Commander

• Players

i went ahead and loaded up the mega colony ship with even more structures, and turns out it will only give you the structure if you researched it first so i was happy with that.  it didn't give you a way to short cut through it.

and it definitely helped out with click fatigue.  i didn't want to build the exact same buildings over and over in each colony, so i am glad there's a short cut way to do it, and if i don't like the buildings that exist then you can go back and just scrap them after the planet is colonized with the mega.

so right now the mega looks like this for me:

- key: hull_mega_colony
            description: "Colony ship with automated factory, hydroponic farm, research laboratory, toxics processor, government building, planetary radiation shield, robominers, cloning center"
            space: 1000
            cost: 865
            hp: 500
            tacticalHPIcon: ContentPrefabs/Tactical/HealthBarIcons/civilian.png
            icon: assets/ships/%civ%/%type%/ship_colony.png
            hullScale: 1.0
            hullPrefab: /ContentPrefabs/FleetIconsStarSystem/%civ%/fleeticon_race_%civ%_colony
            acceleration: 0.4
            angularAcceleration: 0.2
            baseDriveVelocity: 1
            bestDriveVelocity: 1.6
            maxVelocity: 1.6
            maxAngularVelocity: 0.3
            velocityFriction: 0.02
            angularFriction: 0.05
            flagType: colony
            flagPriority: 0
            fleetSupportCost: 1
            isUnarmed: true
            hullClass: 1
            tacticalVictoryDelay: 5.0
            civilianRequired: true
            canColonize: true
            weaponSlots: 0
            specialSlots: 1
            allowMassProduction: true
            CPAffectedByTechAch: true
            colonizationStructures:
                - structure_colony_base
                - structure_automated_factory
                - structure_biospheres
                - structure_fungal_farms
                - structure_hydroponic_farm
                - structure_research_laboratory
                - structure_colonial_revenue_services
                - structure_government_building
                - structure_planetary_radiation_shield
                - structure_robominers
                - structure_toxics_processor
                - structure_cloning_center
                - structure_crust_prospecting
                - structure_soil_enrichment
                - structure_neutron_collider

i also went into the ship blue prints yaml file and did this:

- key: design_mega_colony
            hull: hull_mega_colony
            baseSystems:
                armor: shipslot_armor
                drive: shipslot_drive
                shield: shipslot_shield

i was tired of looking at the name incorrectly in the planet view.  since the planet view builder seems to take the name from this particular file.

Edited by Partythenwork, 04 January 2017 - 07:47 AM.

trbeier #15 Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:14 AM

Captain

• Players

View PostExoclyps, on 03 January 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

So I finally got around to look at your mod in-game! I'll star off with a few questions and thoughts I had.

Darlok Mission Risk?  I probably have it somewhere, but I don't remember where.  I do remember that the espionage values in the yaml file were backwards, and if you were trying to make better spies, you were making them worse.

I know that it looks like you should be able to get the race specific tech, but you see that line going to an invisible block in the column before?  Yes, there is a hidden Alkari tech that only the Alkari get at the beginning of the game.  Without that you can't get the mid game bonus.  You can see it, but you shouldn't be able to get it.  So at least you know what you are up against.

I did a side beside comparison and updated my tech tree to the 54.8 version and found the Survival Pods.  It was a lot of work.  Probably would have been easier moving my changes to the new file....   ;-)

I was trying to figure out what to do with the recyclotron.  It just didn't seem right for it not to produce production.  +10% sounds better, I will probably look into that again.  System unique sounds good too, but I don't want to copy all your ideas.  ;-)

I find that playing on normal difficulty is a good enough challenge.  Winning is by good planning and doesn't come easy (at least the games that I have played so far).  But then again, I am currently playing the Sakkra and I think I own 1/3 the universe, but again that is good planning.  Playing the Psilon in my last game, I got to around 146 turns and I was going bankrupt and then the game did the infinite turn crash.  Oh well, I wanted to redesign the tech tree anyway.  That is why I added Galactic Currency, etc.  I figured the Psilons would have galactic tech to solve all their big problems by that point.

Thanks for checking it out.  I will have to take a look at yours sometime.  :-)

- Kutless

trbeier #16 Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:42 AM

Captain

• Players

View PostPartythenwork, on 03 January 2017 - 09:20 PM, said:

i also made a few changes.  for one the mega colony ship i had no idea what it was doing, so i went ahead and edited the description and made a few changes (in the shiphulltypes.yaml)

i thought it was cute to have a different specialized colonizer for toxic worlds or radiated ones, but why not just have them all bundled up in a single mega one?  i guess you could put whatever you wanted in them, but this is what i stacked it with.

I am finding that a number of buildings are useless to put on the colony ship because they don't make the necessary change to the biome.  So, toxic processors and radiation shields don't change the biome to barren.  Neither does the gravity generator change the gravity, that is why I took the ships off of the tech tree, leaving the blueprints incase they fix the bug.   Also, I think that Soil Enrichment doesn't work either, so I will probably take it out.  

I am finding that the Mega ship does a good enough job, and building the biome changers doesn't take long with the factories etc already there, so I will probably just delete the extra ships.

There are a few other buildings that i was considering putting in, but I was trying to put in just the stuff that "most" people would use, because the cost of the ship is the exact cost of the basic colony ship plus all the buildings.  However, what I didn't consider is that when you build it with a space elevator and orbital shipyard you cut the cost by half, so it is kida cheating.  But I am planning to add some more buildings, as you say, they can take them out if they don't want them.

I am thinking of making an even more advanced 4th colony ship for later in the tree, but we will see.

I have been meaning to fix the description, but somehow it just kept slipping my mind.  Thanks for the reminder and pinpointing the problem, it is now fixed!  :-)

- Kutless

trbeier #17 Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:57 AM

Captain

• Players

View PostPartythenwork, on 03 January 2017 - 11:22 AM, said:

I modified inferno transformation to include radiated, toxic and barren.  How does that sound?  It is untested, but ready to download on the same link above.

- Kutless

Exoclyps #18 Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:37 AM

Captain

• Players

Your mod added back the Mission Risk to Darloks. I kind of wanted to give them mission risk back as well since I wanted to remove the diplomatic trait from them as I'm planing to give them a modified version of the Jungle Dweller Trait. So I was glad when I found it in your files, so now I know where it is located. I'll probably just change it to "Espionage" title and adjust the description accordingly. I do have to admit though that I was surprised that you kind of reverted the numbers first, but after testing it I noticed that it worked as intended.

Actually possible to change it so the lines does not go into invisible blocks if you position the hidden tech under some other tech. I've done it quite a bit myself actually with a few tech that unlocks after you research something. For example if you where to change y to 11 for "technode_alkari" the hidden line would disappear. But perhaps you did it on purpose?

I can imagine that was a quite a bit of work. I tend to check things as well after each update. But got to admit I kinda missed that one.

In earlier versions I had Recyclotron placed at Molecular Control using +10% production and 25 pollution reduction set as System Unique to make it not so overused as it was quite strong. The intention was to let people that did not choose Core Waste Dump get something for some of their planets, yet also by increasing the production it made Core Waste Dump more useful when being used on bigger/richer planets due to the limit. So it did end up being a nice building benefiting both choices.

I did remove my version though when the dev released theirs. Might remake it as I just got a new idea how to combine it with the Toxic Condenser in 5X. Not sure where to put it though, I always felt that Molecular Control even if the tech kinda fits the purpose in my head was quite late in the tree. And while Nano Technology was a good fit as not being too early or too late, it would turn immersible strong with that as well in there. Things like that made me drop it.

And do feel free to change it to SystemUnique if you think it fits your mod!

Going bankrupt is due to Space Port being quite crappy I'd say. I'm considering buffing Space Port to a clean +50% income on the planet. 5X got +1 per cell, but I kinda want the extra income instead after I realized it also buffs Trade Goods.

EDIT: The +50% on a planet was just for the tax. Not sure it's worth bothering then.

Edited by Exoclyps, 04 January 2017 - 09:50 AM.

Partythenwork #19 Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:01 AM

Commander

• Players

View Posttrbeier, on 04 January 2017 - 08:42 AM, said:

I am finding that a number of buildings are useless to put on the colony ship because they don't make the necessary change to the biome.  So, toxic processors and radiation shields don't change the biome to barren.  Neither does the gravity generator change the gravity, that is why I took the ships off of the tech tree, leaving the blueprints incase they fix the bug.   Also, I think that Soil Enrichment doesn't work either, so I will probably take it out. 

well from my experimentation they do.  the trick is if you have the tech already for toxic processors and radiation shields.  if you don't have the tech for the structure your colony won't have that building, but if you do they will.

i'll test it out again, but i am pretty sure if you send a mega colony ship with those loaded then it should transform the planet.  let me verify it again.  remember the key is if you have the tech researched/unlocked or not.

EDIT: i stand corrected.  you are absolutely correct.  having the toxic processor and/or radiation shield loaded doesn't transform the planet to barren.  you have to scrap the structure first then go back and rebuild it, so yes it is a waste of time to have it pre-loaded.

Edited by Partythenwork, 04 January 2017 - 10:19 AM.

Partythenwork #20 Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:25 AM

Commander

• Players

the uber inferno from those different biomes (barren, volcanic, toxic, radiated) is a good idea.  also i think the volcanic cooling needs to be adjusted to this

- key: colonyproject_volcanic_cooling
            name: "Volcanic Cooling"
            cost: 500
            icon: assets/structures/uber_inferno.png
            description: "Terraforms a volcanic planet to barren."
            structureType: 4
            compatibleBiomes:
                - biome_volcanic
                - biome_inferno                
            resultingBiome: biome_barren

this allows for infernos to be altered to barren in case you decided to bomb a silicoid uber and try to colonize it.... just a thought

Edited by Partythenwork, 04 January 2017 - 10:26 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users