A list of Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

skullnbones_ #1 Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:27 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

First off, while I'm been wanting to buy this game since it came out, I just got it during the 2016 Christmas break, and I really like it. Thanks to the developers! Steam buyers who down-voted this new incarnation of MOO (their reviews almost made me not buy it) are mistaken. They didn't give the game much of a chance. (EDIT: I see now that there were many problems before this latest build.) The current build is very playable and very fun.  I'll be getting the DLC soon, if I read that the developers will keep supporting the game. At a later date, I am going to make another thread listing what I think are some of the good design decisions and improvements over the original games.

In this thread, I'm going to list some suggestions which (1.) I think could be implemented without too much effort, and (2.) would add value to the game. I'm trying to read other forum suggestions too, though I'm definitely not caught up yet. I may mention something that has been brought up before, so please have patience.

I'm going to make a bunch of small posts for easier reading, as opposed to one big wall of text. So here goes...

skullnbones_ #2 Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:56 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

DIPLOMACY

(We need more declarations)

DECLARATION: Remove Warships from Our Space

From time to time, whether the AIs have no treaties with me or an Open Border Treaty, they still might send in some threatening, large fleets into my space to poke around. I'd like to role-play being a tough guy and tell them to leave. If they agree, they should get out step-by-step . If they don't, diplomatic relations suffer, and I gain a reason to protect my space.

DECLARATION: Stop fighting my Allies

An AI fighting any of my allies should think twice if I make this declaration. Either I influence them to propose a truce with my ally, or their views on me and my views on them go downhill.

NEGOTIATION: REQUEST CEASEFIRE (Broker a Truce)

Computer opponent #1 is hammering on Computer opponent #2. You kind of want to keep #2 around for a good trading partner or strategic counter-balance or whatever. So you exert your political influence and hope to broker a 20 turn peace deal between the warring empires. Whether you ask #1 and #2 separately is up in the air. I imagine the AI that has the upper hand would like a bribe.

SHARE CHARTS

After playing a few games, I get the feeling that these diplomatic transactions share too much information. It steals some of the fun out of exploration. Once you start meeting a few AI players, you can get a lot of charts, and a get a pretty good idea of all the planets on the starmap in a short time. I think a Share Chart agreement shouldn't mean that you give another player knowledge of ALL of your explored systems. How about maybe 3 systems at a time max? Maybe 10 turns later you could ask again.

REVOKING TREATIES (comment on computer opponent behavior)

After playing a few games, I noticed something about the AI players. Sometimes I can really piss off some other races to the point of 'Hate', but strangely they continue to keep their non-aggression and trade deals with me for a 100 turns or more. I think if they get really mad, they should eventually rip up treaties to show their displeasure.

CONTACT STATIONS

Once a player researches XENOLOGY, they are able to make a new tech called the Contact Station. Space factories can make these. It can be sent to a warp point at the edge of a player's territory bordering a system controlled by an alien empire. A Contact Station can be built here. These bases have a diplomatic influence (Disposition bonus) if they border a system controlled by another alien player. A Contact Station is pretty much a smaller version of Babylon V. It is non-military 'neutral ground' where for example you, the Humans, can invite hundreds of envoys from the neighbouring Bulrathi empire to live there and mingle with your people. This association and trading of ideas and opinions causes a mutual admiration.

Effect: Disposition bonus between the two players. The Contact Station also produces a mutual 2 BC/turn from limited trade.

This expands playing styles. On your border with a particular race, you could make either a military outpost to seal your borders, a surveillance station to spy them out, or a Contact Station to improve relations.

More....

NEGOTIATION: BECOME PROTECTORATE

A dominant empire may demand a much weaker empire to fall under its protection and become an obedient client state. A protectorate retains a degree of its independence and the dominant partner will seek to protect it. However, for as long as the treaty is agreed upon, the protectorate must do the following:

-Pay annual tribute (a small amount).

-A protectorate becomes an ally of the dominant empire, with an Open Borders treaty.

-A protectorate must vote for their protector sponsor during the Galactic Council (no choice).

-A protectorate automatically matches its protector's foreign policy. It goes to war automatically with its protector's enemies, and attains a state of peace when its protector secures truces.

A strong empire may force others to be vassal protectorates, instead of going through the difficult chore of destroying/annexing them. It may often be a demand to bring a war to conclusion. Whereas, a weaker empire might voluntarily offer to be a protectorate to save its skin from an entirely different empire.

Any hostile moves between protector and protectorate will lead to an end to the treaty and possibly war.

skullnbones_ #3 Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:02 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

RESEARCH TECHNOLOGY

I think a few more techs can be added, and some techs can be mildly changed.

1. The research group called MILTARY TACTICS (3rd level Physics Group) actually doesn't have much in the way of tactics. You have to pick between Troop Transport and DNA Scanner. By researching Military Tactics, a race could develop a third tech called "Experimental Maneuvers". It gives a mild +10% bonus to attack and defense for all your war ships.

3. There should be one or two techs to develop Volcanic Worlds. I propose a PLANETOLOGY TECH called "Magma Control" or Magma Tap. Basically the race may build these on Volcanic worlds to really harness the industrial potential of all that heat and liquid metal. +6 to production.

4. The GENETIC ENGINEERING tech group should have a third research tech called "Super Soldiers." Every advanced race is going to augment their soldiers to be deadlier. Again, it gives a mild +10% attack/defense. You get it automatically and then choose between Cloning Center or Microbiotics.

5.  Change 'Neutron Collider' to "Mass Fabricators." The latter is something that would be practically made in the future and sounds more industrial.

6. Change the “Deep Sea Cooling” tech from the XENOBIOTICS group to something else. I don't like the name or concept of the tech. In fact, the name Xenobiotics isn't all that good either. I'm tentatively thinking Underwater Cities for Ocean, Terran, Tundra, and Gaia planets. The Trilarians would already have this tech. Underwater Cities would add +1 to the habitability or size of the planet. They could also add +1 food and +1 research. Or at the least, change the name of the tech but keep its purpose as a research augmenter.

7. Another tech could be called "Improved Astro-navigation" . Basically, you just develop better navigation and knowledge of space, and thus add + 0.5 speed to your ships. You know all the obstacles and the fastest routes.

8. BUYOUT TECHS!

It sort of bothered me in MOO2 that, with enough money, you could basically buy anything in one turn. MOO:CTS follows this trend. Hypothetical example: you made a colony in the middle of nowhere. It has no industrial output. Hardly any people and no nearby powerful colonies to help out. You want to plop a battle station in orbit, so being a rich guy you pay a whopping sum from your treasury, and BAM! Battle Station next turn. I'm totally for paying extra money to accelerate projects. That's cool and what it's for basically. But there should be limits. Here is an easy way to make Buyouts sort of sane by fitting limits in as economic techs.

BUYOUT LEVEL ONE: after researching Economics, you should get the Colonial Revenue Services tech and a new one called 'Colonial Management', which allows a player to do an individual buyout as high as 500 BCs. That's a very reasonable limit in the early game.

BUYOUT LEVEL TWO: after researching Macro Economics, you should get the existing Geosynchronous Warehouse and a new one called 'Interstellar Logistics', which allows an individual buyout as high as 1000 BCs.

BUYOUT LEVEL THREE: after researching Galactic Trading, you should get the normal Space Port and a new one that allows buyouts as high as 1500 BCs.

BUYOUT LEVEL FOUR: Etc. 2000 BC max.

Some may argue, but I think the buyout limits should eventually max at 3000 to 4000 BC. For example, in real life, we can build a super aircraft carrier or 130 floor skyscraper. Throwing mega money at it will accelerate the time of build to a degree. But in the end, it's still going to take a lot of time. Maybe the limit could be higher to satisfy players who want to buy everything in the late game. I dunno. Comments?

Edited by skullnbones_, 06 January 2017 - 07:17 AM.

Alain_Vollant #4 Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:16 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

I like your ideas except for the following: 

Block Quote

5.  Change 'Neutron Collider' to "Mass Fabricators." The latter is something that would be practically made in the future and sounds more industrial.

Although I agree for a name change, I always envision the Neutron Collider as an energy sources. I think it is a shame that energy is not considerate in the game. A shame because having a powerful stable energy source is very important to set up your industrial base.

Block Quote

6. Change the “Deep Sea Cooling” tech from the XENOBIOTICS group to something else. I don't like the name or concept of the tech. In fact, the name Xenobiotics isn't all that good either. I'm tentatively thinking Underwater Cities for Ocean, Terran, Tundra, and Gaia planets. The Trilarians would already have this tech. Underwater Cities would add +1 to the habitability or size of the planet. They could also add +1 food and +1 research. Or at the least, change the name of the tech but keep its purpose as a research augmenter.

I agree for the under water city but the reasoning behind the deep sea cooling, is that computer tech generate a lot of heat. That heat impair the computers in their calculations. Keeping a computer cool is primordial to keep a computer running. the Deep Sea Cooling address this and it is considerate by real engineers.

Block Quote

8. BUYOUT TECHS!

It sort of bothered me in MOO2 that, with enough money, you could basically buy anything in one turn. MOO:CTS follows this trend. Hypothetical example: you made a colony in the middle of nowhere. It has no industrial output. Hardly any people and no nearby powerful colonies to help out. You want to plop a battle station in orbit, so being a rich guy you pay a whopping sum from your treasury, and BAM! Battle Station next turn. I'm totally for paying extra money to accelerate projects. That's cool and what it's for basically. But there should be limits. Here is an easy way to make Buyouts sort of sane by fitting limits in as economic techs.

I too am annoyed by that although I gleefully use it to jump-start my colonies. My solution would be an increase in pollution across the whole empire and on the targeted world. Something like 1 pollution point per 100 credit in buy out on the target world and 1 pollution point per 1000 credit on every planet of the empire. This should make any buyout a "thinking about it twice" before acting.

Aside this, good job :)

Omega_Weapon #5 Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:13 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View Postskullnbones_, on 06 January 2017 - 12:56 AM, said:

DIPLOMACY

(We need more declarations)

DECLARATION: Remove Warships from Our Space

From time to time, whether the AIs have no treaties with me or an Open Border Treaty, they still might send in some threatening, large fleets into my space. I'd like to role-play being a tough guy and tell them to leave. If they agree, they should get out step-by-step . If they don't, diplomatic relations suffer, and I gain a reason to protect my space.

DECLARATION: Stop fighting my Allies

An AI fighting any of my allies should think twice if I make this declaration. Either they try for a truce, or their views on me go downhill.

REQUEST CEASEFIRE (Broker Peace)

AI #1 is hammering on AI #2. You kind of want to keep AI #2 around for a strategic reason or whatever. So you exert your political influence and hope to broker a 20 turn peace deal. Whether you ask #1 and #2 separately is up in the air. I imagine the AI that has the upper hand would like a bribe.

SHARE CHARTS

After playing a few games, I get the feeling that these diplomatic transactions share too much information. It steals some of the fun out of exploration. Once you start meeting a few AI players, you can get a lot of charts, and a get a pretty good idea of all the planets on the starmap in a short time. I think a Share Chart agreement shouldn't mean that you give another player knowledge of ALL of your explored systems. How about maybe 3 systems at a time max? Maybe 10 turns later you could ask again.

Best for last....

CONTACT STATIONS

Once a player reaches a certain diplomatic tech, his space factory can go to a warp point at the edge of your territory and build a Contact Station. These bases only have a diplomatic influence if they border a system controlled by another alien player. A Contact Station is pretty much a smaller version of Babylon V. It is non-military 'neutral ground' where for example you, the Humans, can invite hundreds of envoys from the neighbouring Bulrathi empire to live there and mingle with your people. This association and trading of ideas and opinions causes a mutual admiration.

Disposition bonus between the two players. The Contact Station also produces a mutual 2 BC/turn from limited trade.

This expands playing styles. On your border with a particular race, you could make either a military outpost to seal your borders, a surveillance station to spy them out, or a Contact Station to improve relations.

​I like these. They would be improvements over what we have now. Plus one.

skullnbones_ #6 Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:54 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

Thanks Alain and Omega for reading. I appreciate it.

TRYING TO SOLVE THE MID-GAME CASH CRUNCH

I played some more today after work and really felt the mid-game cash crunch many veteran players have described. I think the crunch can be overcome with easy, subtle tweaks to research technology. Here are some simple ideas:

The Space Port is a key economic structure in the game, and realistically they would be the basis of an interstellar economy. I think that +5 BC/turn is still good. Or maybe it should produce +1 BC for every two colonists on a planet. I don't know. Not sure about that. Whatever the case, the Space Port should be available slightly sooner -- before players have to research GALACTIC TRADING.  The economic research group before is called MACRO ECONOMICS. It offers Geosynchronous Warehouse and Recyclotron. I strongly suggest the Space Port gets removed from Galactic Trading and slotted in Macro Economics. If you research Macroeconomics, you should get all three techs.

A new economic research should be created to fill the empty spot in Galactic Trading. The new substitute research should be called Super Freighters (or something like 'Freighter Network', or 'Integrated Commerce.'  )  This is what large-scale long distance trading is all about! The Super Freighters carry gigantic amounts of goods and equipment in organized deep space routes. They fully link your empire as never before. The effect is arguably limited but good for growing empires. Every colony you have will immediately generate an extra +1 BC in trade revenues. Every colony whose population is 9 or over will produce an extra +2 instead of +1. It all sounds small, right? But remember you don't have to BUILD anything or maintain it. The cumulative effect is that your empire of 10 to 30 planets (a few of them 9 and over during mid-game) is going to generate a humble yet much appreciated extra bit of income.

As the game progresses -- with trade treaties breaking down, wars starting, and your maintenance on the rise with all those new colonized planets -- you need that extra boost.

If any of your planets are blockaded, bombed, and/or invaded, those particular planets don't get the bonus because the Heavy Freighters won't be showing up.

Jump Gates are crucial to military activity, but they should also be considered crucial in promoting interstellar economic activity.  Jump Gates should be expensive, true (their maintenance is 5 BC/turn for every one of them). However, I argue that because they also generate a lot of civilian trade too, the revenues from which should reduce the maintenance to 3 BC/turn.

Last of all, Trade Treaties have to be tweaked. The Counterparty amount of BCs should be lowered, or just abolished altogether. Just because an empire has low revenues, it doesn't mean it should be unable to trade. It's better to set up small trade treaties with much less return than no trade treaties at all.

Alain_Vollant #7 Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:03 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

Have you read what I proposed there?

http://forum.masteroforion.com/index.php?/topic/2220-economy-and-cargo-ships/

it deal with this issue too

skullnbones_ #8 Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:22 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

Alain, I gave that a solid read and I will reply in your thread soon. It's definitely good stuff. At the moment I have to get my ideas out while I am inspired!

When it comes to freighters and logistics, I would much prefer an expanded take on the MOO2 system like you explained. I think there's value there for sure. Unfortunately, I suspect that the developers consider the key game mechanics of the current MOO:CTS game most likely done. So it's doubtful that new mechanics will be introduced and old mechanics altered to accommodate them. Sad but probably true since these things take time and money.

I think the developers will be focusing on tweaking and slightly expanding what is already established (they're still trying to shake out all of the bugs and bad gameplay). It will keep us happy but still dreaming of the ultimate space 4x game. :)

Omega_Weapon #9 Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:31 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
The improved freighters idea is good too but "heavy freighters" makes them seem more battle worthy. Why not just call them "super freighters"?

skullnbones_ #10 Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:58 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

GAME OPTIONS - part 1

CHOOSE YOUR RACE (quiet down the narrator)

- As a default, the narrator starts talking about the Alkari. Please disable this. Either the narrator explains the race when you click on the respective graphic, or you can disable the narrator from speaking altogether. Narrator on/off.

MATCH SETUP - GAME SETTINGS

-change your race COLOUR

-change the COLOURS of other races

- add an option for a Galaxy size bigger than Huge. Gigantic is a word that would work for me. Up to 13 opponents would be nice too.

-for Galaxy Type, add new ones that have different random shapes: Irregular, for example.

MATCH SETUP - ADVANCED SETTINGS

1. Influence your starting location: 1. near the outer fringes 2. near the center. 3. random.  (default random)
  2. Unstable warp points - ON/OFF (default on)
  3. Antarans - ON/OFF (default on)
  4. Wormholes - ON/OFF (default on)
  5. Technology Trading - ON/OFF (default on)
  6. Pollution - ON/OFF (default on)
  7. Large Tactical Maps - ON/OFF (default off)
  8. SENIOR races - I'll explain these below. (default off)
  9. GALAXY INVADERS - I'll explain these below. (default off)

skullnbones_ #11 Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:21 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

GAME OPTIONS - part 2

SENIOR RACES: When starting a game, a player may designate any of his computer opponents as a Senior Race (or another name might by ' Elder Race'  ). By doing this, it will increase the difficulty of the game.

It is extremely unlikely that several intelligent races would all become space-faring at exactly the same time. Therefore, if the option is selected, at least 1 race could be a Senior Race. That is, they became a developed space-faring power far before the others. A Senior race begins the game with the following advantages:

* 3 colonized planets, plus their homeworld

* 25-30 colonists/population units distributed among the planets. At least 12-14 will be at the homeworld.

* research techs up to Tier 3

As the game starts, the game algorithms would spawn colonies (homeworld + nearest 3 worlds), plunk down colonists, and load a template to determine their techs.

Personally I would like to see a dominant power in the galaxy when I started a game. I'd see it as a great challenge to trick and ultimately defeat this race. For an even greater challenge, a player could face off vs a few Senior Races, going from an upstart young civilization to a power respected and feared by the older civilizations.

For multiplayer games, a veteran player will select a normal setup race and then encourage a newbie player to select the Senior Race option. It would be a good handicap for the veteran, evening the playing field.

skullnbones_ #12 Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:52 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

GAME OPTIONS - part 3

GALAXY INVASION

In the Advanced Settings, there could be ON/OFF toggle for GALAXY INVADERS (or another term such as Outsiders, Invasion, ARMADA, Migration, etc.). This random event means that is a 1% chance every turn during mid-game (after turn 150) and late-game (after turn 300) that a brand new race will show up on the fringe of the Orion starmap. It can only happen if one or more of the original races have been exterminated.

This random event is designed to introduce a lot of surprise and spice to a game. I want to be blown away and meet the unexpected. Every game must be a fresh and exciting experience, and such an option would definitely supply that feeling.

The new race would suddenly show up in an armada of ships. Once GNN announces the invasion, the fleet would arrive in a random system on the starmap fringes with the following ships:

- 1 Battleship

- 2 Cruisers

- 3 destroyers

- 5 Frigates

- 1 Colony Ship

- 6 Civilian transports

- 4 Troop Transports

Late Game:

- 1 Dreadnought

- 2 Battleships

- 3 Cruisers

- 5 destroyers

- 2 Colony Ships

- 10 Civilian transports

- 5 Troop Transports

The race's fleet will search for the nearest "good" unoccupied planet as a new homeworld. If there are none in the immediate vicinity, the invading race will demand colony concessions. If they are denied, they will fight any defending military units, and begin bombing and unloading their troop transports. Once they have a good foothold, they will land their civilians if possible. They will also seek to land their colony ships on any other available worlds nearby, and fill them with any civilian transports left. Their backstory is up to you -- either they were desperate for supplies after a long journey in the void, or fleeing even more powerful forces back home, or they are simply very ambitious to conquer the Orion sector.

To make sure the invading race has a chance to maintain their fleet and the buildings they need in the beginning, they come with a kickstarter of credits: either 2500 BCs for mid-game, or 5000 BCs for late-game, all to give them a decent chance for a foothold and potential expansion. They should have research technology levels roughly comparable to the current races on the Orion starmap.

An invading newcomer could completely overturn the current order in the galaxy and bring down unprepared empires. Or it could experience a swift counter-attack and a sudden demise. Anything could happen!

skullnbones_ #13 Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:09 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostOmega_Weapon, on 07 January 2017 - 09:31 PM, said:

The improved freighters idea is good too but "heavy freighters" makes them seem more battle worthy. Why not just call them "super freighters"?

That sounds way better, thanks. I could go for that. Or maybe make the concept of better logistics and trade in your empire a more abstract sounding tech like "Integrated Commerce"  ?

skullnbones_ #14 Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:37 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

BOMBING, PLANETARY INVASIONS, and OCCUPATIONS

BOMBING

- This should cause pollution on the targeted planet. Nuclear and fusion bombs should cause 2 or 3 points of pollution per bomb dropped. Stronger bombs should cause even more pollution. War has terrible, super-destructive consequences to the environment and these are not currently portrayed. In the original MOO, heavy bombing could actually downgrade a terran world to a desert world. I thought that was so interesting and representative of the true destruction in high-tech war.

When you bomb a planet and invade it, you shouldn't get a pristine world as a prize. It should be damaged, requiring clean-up.

PLANETARY INVASIONS

1. There's many requests to show some kind of animation for an invasion. It would be much appreciated. Even something as low-budg as what we see in MOO2 or a more interesting take as in the game Distant Worlds would be great.

2. If that won't happen, at least please list the TECH of the weapons and equipment that each combatant is armed with. I think this is a huge omission. It's vital that a player knows what kind of enemy techs he is facing. I want to see which side has X kind of rifle, Y kind of armour, Z kind of force field, and so on.

3. A successful invasion should give you a chance to get some of their tech.

OCCUPATIONS

4. Freshly conquered worlds with no occupying troops. After I successfully invade a world, I've been noticing a strange thing that wrecks my suspension of disbelief. For example, my marines might kill all the defenders. But when I click on the conquered world it says there are none of marines stationed there.

Without my occupying marines, a conquered world will go on forever without my race's presence until I build a new marine base. This is illogical. When you conquer a planet, it should be -- has to be-- full of invading marines.

THE FIX: Whenever a planet is conquered, the conqueror will have his surviving marines on-planet in the aftermath. There should also be a brand-new Marine base. Free. Even if all buildings were destroyed by bombing earlier, a new Marine Base should automatically be created by the computer. We just assume the invading marines set it up after the large operation.

5. Freshly conquered worlds should have lower morale. The inhabitants are devastated and shocked to be occupied by aliens. After an invasion, Morale should be -20% normal in addition to the pre-existing assimilation rules. Morale will increase by +5% every second turn after the invasion.

6. Un-assimilated units of population should be potentially dangerous and may act as resistance fighters. Make a roll, every turn, for each of these guys. There is a very small chance that each un-assimilated worker will do the following much like a spy attack:

A. Hack your empire's research

B. Sabotage a building on the conquered world

C. Destabilize your diplomatic relations with other races (occupations often cause other powers to criticize an occupier).

D. Launch a full-scale revolt of the conquered world

E. Launch a pollution-causing terrorist  strike on the world

(F. Optional idea: spawn pirate ships in orbit of the world. Lawless militias tend to emerge during post-invasion chaos.)

NOTE: While there could be several tiny chances for a negative event to happen due to an un-assimilated world, there can only be 1 negative event per turn.

In MOO:CFS, the invasion and occupation of enemy planets is too simple with hardly any repercussions. In most other strategy games and in real life, occupation is a challenge and perhaps even a very difficult one. A player should be forced to assimilate annexed worlds as quickly as possible, and keep many troop transports around nearby that are ready to "re-invade" revolting worlds.

skullnbones_ #15 Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:09 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

PLANETARY INVASIONS and CAPTURING ADMINISTRATORS

The Prisoner Exchange thing in diplomacy is a welcome addition to MOO. But why limit it to spies? I think it would be awesome to conquer a world, seize an administrator as a bargaining chip, and perform a prisoner exchange some time later. Prisoner exchanges would suddenly get more interesting!  Generic spies can come and go, whereas admins may be quite a prize because of their specialized, increasing bonuses.

(If and when we finally get marine boarding of enemy ships, maybe we could capture enemy captains too, and have them available for prisoner exchange.)

Alain_Vollant #16 Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:25 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

Block Quote

3. Freshly conquered worlds with no occupying troops. After I successfully invade a world, I've been noticing a strange thing that wrecks my suspension of disbelief. For example, my marines might kill all the defenders. But when I click on the conquered world it says there are none of marines stationed there. By trial and error, I noticed that if my forces don't bomb the defender's marine base, then I will have my marines there. If I did bomb the enemy's marine barracks, then my successfully invading marines just disappear.

Without my occupying marines, a conquered world will go on forever without my race's presence until I build a new marine base. This is illogical. When you conquer a planet, it should be full of invading marines.

THE FIX: Whenever a planet is conquered, there should be Marine Base in the aftermath. Free. Even if all buildings were destroyed by bombing earlier, a new Marine Base should automatically be created by the computer. We just assume the invading marines set up a base.

You don't need to look that far for an explanation. Every troop transport selected for the invasion disappear after the action. There is your marine Barrack! :)

Alain_Vollant #17 Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:33 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

Block Quote

BOMBING

This should cause pollution on the targeted planet. Nuclear and fusion bombs should cause 3 points of pollution per bomb dropped. Stronger bombs should cause even more pollution. War has terrible, super-destructive consequences to the environment and these are not currently portrayed. In the original MOO, heavy bombing could actually downgrade a terran world to a desert world. I thought that was so interesting and representative of the true destruction in high-tech war.

When you bomb a planet and invade it, you shouldn't get a pristine world as a prize. It should be damaged, requiring clean-up.

I would love to recreate the episode 27  "Force of Arms" of Robotech. when the Zentraedi bombarded the Earth. In an earlier episode (# 11 "First Contact") the Zentraedi showed they could transform a planet like Earth (maybe smaller) into a Barren world.

skullnbones_ #18 Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:42 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostAlain_Vollant, on 09 January 2017 - 12:25 AM, said:

You don't need to look that far for an explanation. Every troop transport selected for the invasion disappear after the action. There is your marine Barrack! :)

Ha. I guess my point is, if I don't randomly bomb the enemy's marine base to smithereens, then I magically take it over and it's loaded up with marines. I just don't like it at all when I actually do bomb the enemy's marine base away. Afterward, no one is home! Not a single one of my occupying marines is there, and can't land afterward. Which is just silly. Automatic free marine base for the successful conqueror is the only easy fix.

skullnbones_ #19 Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:25 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

ESPIONAGE suggestions

1. Infiltrate Colony

A player should get more information from this spy mission. A successful spy should allow the player to see the target planet's defense rating, security rating, the number of colonists, tax revenues, etc.

2. Contaminate

This spy mission, if successful, is deadly. The amount of population eventually killed should be no more than 50% of the original total. Killing off nearly everyone except for 1 is too powerful. A few successful contaminate missions could literally knock an empire out of the game.

3. Captured Spies

Empires have to pay their expensive wages every turn even as they are captured and neutralized. Often, computer opponents are hesitant to return captured spies without a big reward, and they hardly ever ask for their own spies back. Captured spies shouldn't remain captured hypothetically forever. After 25-30 turns, they should be 'off the table'. We can presume that once their knowledge was extracted over time, they were neutralized in whatever way a fan can imagine (either sent to some removed colony to harmlessly live out their days, or sent to the labour camps, or just killed).

NEW ESPIONAGE MISSIONS

Operations Map

Risk: Medium. This is a mission requiring a spy to 'Infiltrate Colony' first. The spy's mission is to infiltrate the databanks of the enemy's fleet command. Success means a player gains information on the location and composition of all enemy ships on the starmap, wherever they are, as well as locations of star bases/battle stations, and jump gates.

Reactor (or Sabotage Reactor)

Risk: medium. The spy's mission is to infiltrate a target colony and sabotage its largest energy reactor. Success causes a global pollution crisis. The planet receives 150 points of pollution that has to be cleaned up.

Agitation

Risk: Medium. The spy's mission is to infiltrate another empire's colony and generate chaos and discontent among the population. Morale will drop by 40% for 7 turns. Workers will strike. No ships can be made at this planet during the Agitation crisis. The only sure way to immediately eliminate the effects of the covert Agitation is to send at least one troop transport in orrbit of the planet. Patrols from landing marines will enforce order and break up the spy's network.

skullnbones_ #20 Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:04 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

COSMETIC Suggestions

I agree with most everyone that core features of the game need attention first: combat, race and tech, AI algorithms, etc.. However, MOO:CTS is a really nice looking game, and it would be cool for some of its cosmetic/graphic features to be fully completed. It might be a lot of work, but I imagine that a lot of work is actually already done but was cut so the developers could publish on time.

Examples:

1. DIPLOMATIC RELATIONS diagram. I know we can see the different treaties we have with computer opponents. But when it comes to the quick-reference Relations Diagram, as it stand now, you may be neutral (white line), allied (green line), or at war (red line) with races. How about adding more details to the lines? Why? It would be awesome to see the diplomatic status of the races with each other!

1. White and green line = Non-Aggression Pact

2. White and red line = Truce/Ceasefire

3. White and gold line = Trade Treaty

4. Extra blue line = Open Borders

Or just make multiple lines signifying each kind of treaty.

2. RACE SPECIFIC MODELS for military outposts, missile bases, orbital batteries, space factories, star bases, battle stations, etc.

3. ALTERNATIVE GAS GIANT models. Pale green and pale blue. Some are striped. Some are ringed.

4. It would be very cool to show the ground forces on your planet like in MOO2. It would be as simple as showing a line of the miniature versions of the current models. Example: 8 marines and 2 tanks all lined up, taking up 3 inches of screen under where it says Defense.

5. Some RACE SPECIFIC homeworlds (on starmap view and planet view). Some races like the Mrrshan, Sakkra, etc. can change their homeworlds to a unique planet type unlike any other in the galaxy. I propose that the spooky Darlok homeworld of Nazin should have a weird violet tinge from the get-go. Altair should have a thin ring of asteroids. Meklar should look like a machine planet. Maybe one or two others should look very different.

6. The starmap background. Not a big deal, but it would be cool to offer alternative backgrounds to the current milky way type galaxy in the background. A few dozen stars obviously doesn't amount to a galaxy. I roleplay thinking that the game is taking place in a relatively small part of the Orion arm. So it would be cool to switch to a nebula or star cluster.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users