A list of Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Omega_Weapon #21 Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:56 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
Great suggestions. This forum sees very little traffic though and your suggestions might be for nothing. Best to put them up on the steam forums too, where they are more likely to get noticed.

skullnbones_ #22 Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:46 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

Thanks, I appreciate it. These suggestions are based on notes I scribbled down as I played. I'm going to edit and tighten them up for easier review. Your suggestion is good. I'll be hitting the Steam MOO forum. Made an account there yrs ago to ask for technical help on another game.

Outside of MOO combat, which everyone knows needs the most attention, I want to get more into ideas about the races, tech, game options, and AI behavior.

I think this game is on the verge of being a classic with continued support.

skullnbones_ #23 Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:43 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

I'm just going to do a few more smaller suggestions before taking these to the Steam discussion group

FIXING THE MRRSHAN

Okay, now I've played a 400 turn game with the Mrrshan (Very Hard, Large Galaxy). This was a genuine challenge. Other races have it easy compared to the Mrrshan, and most fans correctly rate them as 1) one of the hardest races to play, and 2) one of the computer-controlled races that consistently do bad. How to fix them? Currently the Mrrshan's race picks are as follows:

WARLORD (4)

MILITARIST (3)

PLAINS DWELLER (2)

DIPLOMATIC -- hidden value, hidden power

I propose the following:

1. The WARLORD race pick has become a rip-off of the Bulrathi supremacy in ground combat. The Mrrshan can be scrappy warriors, but no one should be as innately tough on the ground as the Bulrathi. Warlord should be 3 race picks instead of 4. First, the Warlord ground combat bonus should be +25% and not +50%. Secondly, a Warlord race has already built up a larger-than-normal expeditionary fleet in orbit, as they have a history of warfare and are enthusiastic to conquer. A Warlord starts the game with 3 Frigates instead of 1.

2. PLAINS DWELLER actually hinders the Mrrshan during the crucial early game period, giving them a downgraded Arid homeworld. This is big trouble until they can either find some Terran worlds and/or quickly research and implement the Grasslands uber-planet terraforming. This is all takes lots of time and careful management. I propose that PLAINS DWELLER should actually be 1 pick, not 2.

3. It's sort of interesting that the Mrrshan currently have a Diplomatic bonus (which is not valued to show us how strong it is), but I say get rid of it nevertheless. The Mrrshan were robbed of their excellent gunnery skills because the developers wanted to give the Terran Khanate +25% Beam Attack. The developers even gave the Alkari a +25% Beam attack as well, which combined with their +50% Beam defense, make them the best around. Whereas the Mrrshan were ignored. The Mrrshan should lose their Diplomatic bonus and instead return to their rightful place as the galaxy's most feared gunners, with a +50% Beam Attack. They're the hunters with the instinct and ingenuity to bring down any prey.

These tweaks correct some imbalances and bring out the real Mrrshan. Their modified race picks and values would be as follows:

WARLORD (3)

MILITARIST (3)

PLAINS DWELLER (1)

BEAM ATTACK +50% (4)

Omega_Weapon #24 Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:11 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View Postskullnbones_, on 17 January 2017 - 01:43 AM, said:

FIXING THE MRRSHAN

3. It's sort of interesting that the Mrrshan currently have a Diplomatic bonus (which is not valued to show us how strong it is), but I say get rid of it nevertheless. The Mrrshan were robbed of their excellent gunnery skills because the developers wanted to give the Terran Khanate +25% Beam Attack. The developers even gave the Alkari a +25% Beam attack as well, while ignoring the Mrrshan. The Mrrshan should lose their Diplomatic bonus and instead return to their rightful place as the galaxy's most feared gunners, with a +50% Beam Attack. They're the hunters with the instinct and ingenuity to bring down any prey.

​So many of us have been asking for this a really long time now. Will the developers please take action on it finally?

Exoclyps #25 Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:14 AM

Captain

• Players

Oh yeah, the Mrrshans; the secretly hated child.

To be honest, even with your new numbers they are weak.

Warlords        
  Ground Combat: +50% 2
  Extended Barracks   0.5

Militarist        
  Starting Tech: Engineering 1
  Ground Combat: +50% 2

Plains Dweller      
  Homeworld: Arid   -2
  Uber Biome: Grassland 1

Beam Attack: +50%     3

Extended Barracks increased maximum troops on medium planet from 11 to 13. Very weak.
Arid is really bad for a starting situation. Even combining it with a huge planet doesn't compensate for the lost population growth. I've honestly debated making it -3, but I think that might actually be abusive if combined with the right traits.
Grassland bonus I valued at 1 point. But one could argue that it is 2 points, at best.
Beam Attack is accuracy in the end, saves you from using a computer. Quite a few ways around it.

In all honesty, they are a race that I've yet to manage to balance properly.
It's the Arid Homeworld. I do kinda like Spud's approach on his 5X mod, which would be like this using the points system I deem balanced.

Militarist        
  Starting Tech: Engineering 1
  Command Points: +20% 1

Beam Attack: +60%     3

Plains Dweller      
  Uber Planet: Grassland 1

Homeworld: Rich     2
Homeworld: Large     1

And Omega_Weapon, they won't be fixing the races. I've read somewhere they have no intention of fixing it and that they feel things are good as it is now. Good thing that this is something that can be easily fixed with a mod.

Omega_Weapon #26 Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:34 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostExoclyps, on 18 January 2017 - 02:14 AM, said:

And Omega_Weapon, they won't be fixing the races. I've read somewhere they have no intention of fixing it and that they feel things are good as it is now. Good thing that this is something that can be easily fixed with a mod.

​I can't imagine they actually believe that. They might say it publicly for business reasons however (scared to admit to the customers that they screwed up).

skullnbones_ #27 Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:40 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

RANDOM EVENTS

We need more!

I absolutely LOVE random events. For me, they brought pizazz and spirit to MOO2, making it highly replayable. (Anyone remember the multi-system space eel infestations?) I hope the developers can seriously consider these random events suggestions:

#1 THE DERELICT SHIP anomaly. This was a big thrill when it first happened to me in MOO:CTS. And a huge letdown when I discovered what the alien derelict ship actually was. The developers really need to fix this rushed piece of unfinished work. The alien derelict should not turn be the suspension of disbelief killer that it is. It ends up being just one of your own scouts or frigates? What the?... The derelict needs to be a genuine alien ship, with a unique model on the starmap and tactical map. You should be able to A) fix the derelict and add it as a functioning addition to your fleet, or B) scrap the derelict and receive 1 new ship-related tech (such as armour, weapons, force fields, etc.)

#2 PIRATES. I really like the pirates. They're a fun, simple early game challenge. Pirates should not always blockade and bomb. They should steal some BCs from time to time too. Also, the AI players sometimes let pirates fester on crappy planets and decide not to bomb them out of the picture. I think if pirate bases fester and survive long enough, they should eventually build starbases and missile bases, and build up a larger treasure hoard of BCs.

Next, we need a Pirate Armada random event. Here comes the pirates, right out of the blue -- with 4 frigates, 2 destroyers, and a cruiser. Deciding to unite and target one empire in force, their end goal is steal BCs from lightly defended worlds. Yeah, any empire could mop them up eventually, but before they cause total chaos in your backwaters?

#3 THE SPACE CRYSTAL. Where is the beloved Space Crystal that threatened the MOO2 star lanes? If resurrected to be in MOO:CTS, I'd like to see the S.C. appear out of the void much like the Antarans. It would take a while to reach its target system, giving local defenders a chance to muster. If not destroyed, it should scorch an occupied planet (equivalent of 20 fusion bombs) and then randomly move in whatever direction to another system, perhaps to territory held by another empire. After a few more turns of scaring the hell out of the galaxy, it should just vanish.

#4 THE COMET. Is this event in MOO:CFS? This one was a straightforward threat from MOO2. Here comes the comet at one of your planets. Assemble your fleet. You should have enough defenses and fleet firepower to blow it up as it approaches. If not, your planet just got smacked. Receive 150 pollution and lose 2 colonists. Clean up on aisle 5.

#5 DIPLOMATIC BREAKTHROUGH. Random Race X and random Race Y just had some unexpected good times and trading of vital information. They see way more eye to eye. Disposition between the races warms right up.

#6 DIPLOMATIC SCANDAL. Uh-oh. Bad translations. Bad inferences. The wrong meanings were taken. An ambassador has gone off the rails. Insults and threats were traded. Disposition between random Race X and Y just went south.

#7 TURNCOAT. A spy from Race X, who was spying on Race Y, decided to switch sides to Race Y. Whether they co-opted him with bribes or wowed him with their superior culture is unknown. But the traitorous spy is gone, working for the aliens now.

#8 PRIVATE INITIATIVE. A rich private group has undertaken a huge building project for the glory of empire. A brand new, free building appears on a random planet. It would be a non-military structure pertaining to research or economics. 

#9 ANCIENT WAR MACHINE. It was built 90 million years ago by some unknown race much older than the Orions and Antarans. It has been buried on a random world, hidden and inactive, for all this time. Then, one day, stimulated by the activity of the young races, it awakens and blasts itself out of the planet's crust. It is programmed to destroy entire fleets, but it is also damaged and desires to repair itself before leaving this sector of the galaxy. The ancient war machine is basically a robotic space monster loaded with powerful weapons. It will warp to whatever highly productive planet is in the immediate vicinity, park in orbit, and give the owning empire an ultimatum: Give me X production points to repair myself from this world (possibly over multiple turns), or I will start hammering stuff and take the resources I need.  

A compliant empire must hand over that production, right from the threatened world. A defiant empire must dispatch their fleet and fight the Ancient War Machine, which is about as strong as a Space Dragon. There should be a reward for blowing it up.

#10 ASYLUM. A race that is not in the current game has sent an adv colony ship from far away. It has strayed into the territory of the race affected by the random event. The colonists are desperate to settle on a world within the territory of the sponsor empire. They swear allegiance to the sponsor empire and function as normal citizens, obeying commands as any other.

Example: You set up a game. 7 opponent races. You're the Darloks or something. The Asylum event happens to you on Turn 92. The Sakkra, who are not one of the original 7 opponent races in the current galaxy, show up in an adv colony ship, and you direct them where to land and found a colony under your Darlok banner. You get a free world with Sakkra on it!

#11 XENO INFESTATION. This random may happen to colonized barren or toxic worlds. Think the Aliens movie franchise. During their explorations of the newly founded colony, your small band of colonists come across hive-like pits full of deadly hibernating aliens. They quickly overcome your colonists and take over the planet. The planet is not under your control until you send in the marines to wipe all these these beasties out. When you invade, the computer shows 10 Xeno creatures defending the planet. Two troop transports full of adequately equipped marines should do the job. But you could nuke the planet too... just to be sure.

#12 WAR FEVER. When an empire is at war, one of its planets may occasionally be struck with such off-the-chart zeal and exuberance for the war effort that it offers positive game effects. Each worker offers +1 production. Security and morale go up by +15%. Ground troops serving to defend the world gain a +25% bonus. The effect lasts for roughly 8 turns.

If the empire actually makes truces and goes into a general state of peace, then the planet affected by war fever may actually revolt. Peace is exactly what the planet does not want while the random is in place.

#13 MOTHER LODE. This random means that a planet's prospectors have found either an unexpected, huge deposits of Gems, Gold, or Dark Quartz. The amount found is so huge that the bonus is larger than normal. 

More added...

#14 THE LOST PASSENGER: This is a mid- to late-game random event. An empire discovers an anomaly nearby in their territory. Sending ships to investigate will reveal a lone space capsule floating in deep space and broadcasting a weak signal. Inside the capsule is an ancient sentient being who has been in suspended animation for a long time. Highly intelligent and skilled, the leader is enthusiastic to repay his benefactors, and may serve as a welcome addition to their empire.

This random can bring back some of the more memorable leaders from MOO2 (just not the dumb ones, please). Remember Megatron, the robot guy? There could be 8 or more of them possibly available to be found. Maybe only 1 might be found in an entire game. Each leader could either be a great administrator or ship captain. Or maybe even a great spy! Lots of possibilities.

Old MOO2 leaders:

http://strategywiki..../Colony_Leaders

http://strategywiki....es/Ship_Leaders

#15 The ANTARAN BEACON: A lot of fun could be had with this mid- to late-game random. As in the case of the 'Lost Passenger' story, an affected empire might make the unexpected discovery of this anomaly. The anomaly turns out to be an ancient Antaran Beacon of some kind. There's two ways I'm thinking this could be applied to the game: the semi-fun and easy way to implement, and the super fun and hard to implement option.

#1 The beacon is actually an empty Antaran derelict destroyer, sending out a feeble alien mayday signal. The player can reactivate the ship (maybe after pulling up a space factory to it for 3 turns) and add it to his fleet. The Antaran ship cannot be taken apart for study because scientists have identified numerous self-destruct devices denying any kind of deconstruction.

#2 The far more interesting option is that there is an actual beacon that contacts live Antarans. Scientists realize that it can summon/direct a small Antaran raiding fleet to attack ANY planet on the starmap. The beacon can do this once and once only and then it self-destructs. So the owner of the beacon technically gets like a new jar full of hornets that he can throw at anyone. Once. It would make for some unique fun. 

ariete21 #28 Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:00 AM

Ensign

• Players

I would like to suggest a couple of things:

1) Capture/raid enemy ships like in the old MMO2 - I used to love sending a bunch of upset Bulrathi marines to capture/raid better equipped enemy vessels. If I remember correctly, there was a shuttle option and a tractor beam that allowed you to breach the distance with enemy ships. I went so far as to trying to capture antaran ships.  Technology could also allow some sort of transporter (was this an option in MM02?). I think a boarding option would also make ground combat techs more attractive since they would have a use in space combat. 

2) Create advance star gates with defensive capabilities. - Really hate being stuck trying to defend a planet way out in the outreach of my space without anyway to call in for reinforcements or block the wormhole. It should be an expensive option but available.

3) Antaran/monster raids (monsters should move and hunt around too) should be more vicious in normal and hard. The raids should be against targets that are painful to defend or abandon. It may just be my luck but for the most part, I find that the attacks don't force me to do some serious strategic thinking (I just played in hard so it maybe a non issue at higher levels). Also, maybe have the Antarans go nuts once the gate to their dimension is open and start attacking everybody hard. That would create an incentive not to just build a gate and wait for many turns while you complete the ultimate armada also other players would have a real incentive to either go into the gate or destroy it.

Great game.

skullnbones_ #29 Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:53 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

Block Quote

1) Capture/raid enemy ships like in the old MMO2 - I used to love sending a bunch of upset Bulrathi marines to capture/raid better equipped enemy vessels. If I remember correctly, there was a shuttle option and a tractor beam that allowed you to breach the distance with enemy ships. I went so far as to trying to capture antaran ships.  Technology could also allow some sort of transporter (was this an option in MM02?). I think a boarding option would also make ground combat techs more attractive since they would have a use in space combat. 

Absolutely. This is possibly the #1 demand from fans when it comes to combat. MOO2 had assault shuttles, tractor beams, and teleporters for boarding. And yes, boarding in space combat would make ground combat research far more important.

Block Quote

2) Create advance star gates...

I agree. So far, space factories can build Jump Gates, which are vital to building a good empire. But genuine Star Gates (very expensive) designed to cut down travel time way down would be a fantastic late game tech.

Block Quote

3) Antaran/monster raids (monsters should move and hunt around too) should be more vicious in normal and hard. The raids should be against targets that are painful to defend or abandon. It may just be my luck but for the most part, I find that the attacks don't force me to do some serious strategic thinking (I just played in hard so it maybe a non issue at higher levels). Also, maybe have the Antarans go nuts once the gate to their dimension is open and start attacking everybody hard. That would create an incentive not to just build a gate and wait for many turns while you complete the ultimate armada also other players would have a real incentive to either go into the gate or destroy it.

Again, I agree all the way. Prowling Space Crystal for the win. And Antarans freaking out after a portal is made.

Block Quote

Great game

MOO:CTS is on the verge of being a real classic that may get a second wind in terms of popularity and sales. Some of its important existing features need to be refined (combat, racial traits, diplomacy, tech, etc.). The implementation of full combat in multiplayer would delight the hell out of people. Furthermore, new yet small features must be added to maximize replayability (more game options, random events, etc.). Last of all, the game's code must be tweaked so that waits between turns are minimized, the AI players get some sneakier scripts, and giant battles don't suddenly freeze the whole game out. 

To their credit, the developers are doing a very good job. I came late to the party, but after I read the different patch logs, it seems a lot of dedicated work has been done to improve the game. I hope the trend continues.

Omega_Weapon #30 Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:29 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View Postskullnbones_, on 20 January 2017 - 09:53 PM, said:

MOO:CTS is on the verge of being a real classic that may get a second wind in terms of popularity and sales. Some of its important existing features need to be refined (combat, racial traits, diplomacy, tech, etc.). The implementation of full combat in multiplayer would delight the hell out of people. Furthermore, new yet small features must be added to maximize replayability (more game options, random events, etc.). Last of all, the game's code must be tweaked so that waits between turns are minimized, the AI players get some sneakier scripts, and giant battles don't suddenly freeze the whole game out. 

​Don't forget about fixing the Mrrshans. That's on the list too. Your statement above is very true skullnbones and its basically the reason I still hang around. I really want to love this game and I'm reluctant to give up hoping for the key changes that would make it a real winner.

skullnbones_ #31 Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:38 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

A few more random events that I'll add to the main list above:

THE LOST PASSENGER: This is a mid- to late-game random event. An empire discovers an anomaly nearby in their territory. Sending ships to investigate will reveal a lone space capsule floating in deep space and broadcasting a weak signal. Inside the capsule is an ancient sentient being who has been in suspended animation for a long time. Highly intelligent and skilled, the leader is enthusiastic to repay his benefactors, and may serve as a welcome addition to their empire.

This random can bring back some of the more memorable leaders from MOO2 (just not the dumb ones, please). Remember Megatron, the robot guy? There could be 8 or more of them possibly available to be found. Maybe only 1 might be found in an entire game. Each leader could either be a great administrator or ship captain. Or maybe even a great spy! Lots of possibilities.

Old MOO2 leaders:

http://strategywiki..../Colony_Leaders

http://strategywiki....es/Ship_Leaders

The ANTARAN BEACON: A lot of fun could be had with this mid- to late-game random. As in the case of the 'Lost Passenger' story, an affected empire might make the unexpected discovery of this anomaly. The anomaly turns out to be an ancient Antaran Beacon of some kind. There's two ways I'm thinking this could be applied to the game: the semi-fun and easy way to implement, and the super fun and hard to implement option.

#1 The beacon is actually an empty Antaran derelict destroyer, sending out a feeble alien mayday signal. The player can reactivate the ship (maybe after pulling up a space factory to it for 3 turns) and add it to his fleet. The Antaran ship cannot be taken apart for study because scientists have identified numerous self-destruct devices denying any kind of deconstruction.

#2 The far more interesting option is that there is an actual beacon that contacts live Antarans. Scientists realize that it can summon/direct a small Antaran raiding fleet to attack ANY planet on the starmap. The beacon can do this once and once only and then it self-destructs. So the owner of the beacon technically gets like a new jar full of hornets that he can throw at anyone. Once. It would make for some unique fun. 

Exoclyps #32 Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:44 AM

Captain

• Players

Random Events #5 and #6, wasn't that Marriage and Assasination in MoO2? And yeah, I really would love to see more random events. But lets make it events that are either good or something that you can deal with. I don't like that my planet gets returned to the stone-age early game for example...

#10 and #11 is really interesting. I like the options for new races to show up. Perhaps things like revolts that causes a new empire... okay, that's a whole other topic.

The Xeno Infestation I'd avoid while interesting. The problem here is not that I don't like it, but that it would become a missed oppertunity for something even better. I'd love to see the option for the Ithkul from MoO3 or similar race could show up and create a whole new empire.

Overall I like most of your ideas and really hope that the devs will add some of it. I mean, if there is new interesting content coming up, I'm willing to pay DLC money for it!

skullnbones_ #33 Posted 22 January 2017 - 01:06 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

Thanks, Exoclyps. Personally, I think the community definitely has offered enough ideas for the developers to create and implement a new DLC. We don't necessarily need new races, although your idea of resurrecting the Ithkul would be a cool novelty (if the Ithkul were unique, given the current game setting... perhaps parasitically infecting the other rival races?) Whatever the case, we need some spicy pizazz and revisions/expansions of the game that would ultimately make every game fresh and memorable so as to maximize replayability.

Here's my personal 'marketing idea' for a DLC: It would simply be called INVASION -- because that would be one of its themes. It would resemble the Sins of the Solar Empire DLCs, implementing a number of miscellaneous revisions and additions:

1. Expanded random events, including the 'invasive' stuff on the list, such as Space Crystals, Ancient War Machines, Xenos, lost alien passengers, pirate armadas, etc. Naturally there would be just as many positives as negatives that could happen. Negatives may actually be great because there is a good chance they will happen to your opponents.

2. Improved ground combat (with quicky animations, listed weapons/equipment, and perhaps capture of admins)

3. Introduction of ship boarding

4. INVASION random event I listed earlier. A race not in the current game might suddenly invade the starmap in force.

5. Senior Race option

6. General revisions of the Mrrshan, Silicoids, and other races that need tweaks

7. Additions to diplomacy, spying, etc.

8. Some revisions of and additions to research tech, including a fix to the mid-game cash crunch

9. Some other new game options and cosmetic improvements as listed

10. A selling point might be the Terran Khanate race being thrown in

The much asked for combat in multiplayer would be nice, although I wouldn't be shocked if it didn't appear immediately.

skullnbones_ #34 Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:53 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
I encourage the devs to keep making solid strides, especially by improving the military side of things, inside and outside of combat. The suggestions listed below hopefully could be implemented without too much effort (mind you, the last 2 suggestions are bigger than the others).

RETREAT

It's really important that this function works. It's obviously a vital option in any battle, an option that hardly ever presents itself to me. I hate that inactive button! I have only been able to retreat maybe 3 times in 50 battles (mind you, I was the aggressor in most of them).

While a human player should gain the ability to retreat --- preferably at any time, or at least at some later time after the battle has commenced --- the AI players really need the option. They hardly ever retreat, and they often need to. They have to stop being kamikaze defenders in the face of terrible odds. I don't know how many times the enemy AI has thrown away 1 or 2 small ships against my giant invasion fleet.

ORBITAL DEFENSES

1. Like so many other fans have noted, orbital defenses should not be positioned in the center of the map, or anywhere near the center of the map. Orbital defenses must be in the rear, with defending units. They should work together. The defending fleet should not have to race forward every time to 'rescue' the orbitals, which always die off first.

Orbital defense go down fast for a few big reasons. One is that with them starting in the middle of the map, they are often floating inside NEBULAS, thus negating their shields. This is really bad. Please place them at the back.

2. Orbital defenses don't need a huge buff in terms of strength. I like how MOO:CTS is a game based on offense. however, defense orbitals do need a mild buff. Orbitals should be 15-20% tougher and cost at least a corresponding 25-30% more.

3. Orbital bases and command points: Either Star Bases, Battle Stations, and Star Fortresses should all produce slightly less command points, OR ships should cost more in terms of command points. In my games, I build up so many command points from arguably cheap bases that I hardly ever exceed the limit. And I do build several large fleets. In MOO2, command points were a huge factor. Not in MOO:CTS so far. I never have to worry if I have enough command points.

AI PATHFINDING

Ships tend to swim into each other. They pass through hulls and asteroids. When fighting the Guardian of Orion, half of my fleet actually was flying inside the Guardian model.

SHIP CREATION

1. More available blueprints please (at least 2 more, ideally 10)
2. More available weapon and special tech slots (at least 1 more each per ship blueprint)
3. Enemy AI should use more special techs when building ships
4. We need Fighters to be more of an interesting option – thus promoting carriers
5. When you design a new kind of ship, there's not enough room for characters to type in what you want to call it. For instance, I want to design a "Heavy Carrier" or a "Missile Cruiser". Those names are currently too long. Not enough space. Please fix.
6. I want to be able to personalize the names of my individual capital ships. For instance, I want the option to call one of my Trilarian battleships the "Vengeful Storm" or my Bulrathi titan the "Pride of Ursa", and so forth.

SHIELDS

Some may argue, but I think shields regenerate too fast. You could hammer a ship with 500 damage, temporarily stripping it's shields away. But a few moments later, it can recharge those shields in less than 2 seconds. If the recharge rate won't be changed (it should take at least double the time), at least consider this: once a ship starts taking serious hull damage, it's recharge rate should not be so energetic. In fact, it would be ideal to knock out a ship's shields altogether with some heavy pummeling.

RAMMING

Not sure what's going on with this. It's a feature that I got to work only once, maybe twice. Maybe I'm missing something, and someone can clue me in. Or maybe it needs to be more refined and intuitive in function. How does it work? How can it be more user friendly?

PRE-POSITIONING OF FORCES IN TACTICAL COMBAT

Before a battle starts it would be incredible to have the option to place/position exactly where your ships begin on the tactical map. You could quickly point and click where each ship would be located near the edge of the map. The other cool part would be that you don't know how and where the enemy will position his ships.

In essence you could organize your fleet to make pickets, a reserve group, a carrier group, an over-powered flank, a capital ship leading, etc. It would allow the control and 'epic-ness' of a battle from the Total War game series.

BOARDING

I know, it's a MOO2 feature, and yes everyone has been yelling for it. But d a m n, it would really add some spice and options to the naval battles. And it would make ground combat bonuses far more relevant. I personally think that, unlike MOO2, a ship taken over by an enemy should NOT be able to be used right away during the same battle (that's unrealistic). It should only be guided/controlled after the battle.

I'll add more later. 

Omega_Weapon #35 Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:49 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View Postskullnbones_, on 28 January 2017 - 10:53 PM, said:

BOARDING

I know, it's a MOO2 feature, and yes everyone has been yelling for it. But d a m n, it would really add some spice and options to the naval battles. And it would make ground combat bonuses far more relevant. I personally think that, unlike MOO2, a ship taken over by an enemy should NOT be able to be used right away during the same battle (that's unrealistic). It should only be guided/controlled after the battle.

​If I recall correctly, most races could not immediately use captured ships. The only race that could pull that off was the Elerians because of their telepathic mind control ability.

skullnbones_ #36 Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:34 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostOmega_Weapon, on 29 January 2017 - 07:49 AM, said:

​If I recall correctly, most races could not immediately use captured ships. The only race that could pull that off was the Elerians because of their telepathic mind control ability.

Thanks. It's been so long that I couldn't remember! I'm going to have to fire up MOO2 again one night for shyts and giggles to experience boarding again. I just remember it being fun as hell to mix things up with that tactic.

By the way, what's up with ramming and retreat? Are they not implemented correctly? Or in order to be used correctly, do certain conditions have to be met? For instance, only damaged ships can ram properly? And only defenders can retreat?

And what's with torpedoes? Only good vs orbitals and very slow capital ships? Or just broken and needing at least some homing?

Exoclyps #37 Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:31 PM

Captain

• Players
As far as retreat I think you can only retreat if you haven't moved the ship. So that leaves defenders on guard duty pretty much.

Jevokan #38 Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:14 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

I was going to start a new thread but I saw this and thought I'd just add my own suggestions after my first play through here as well.  My experience on Hard Difficulty, Large Universe.  Everything else standard I believe.  Races involved were myself as Custom Humans (just  variation on Psilons using the Human appearance), Klackons, Silicoids, Alkari, Mrrshans, Terrans, Darlocks.

Master of Orion Suggestions, my experience and suggestions.
Let me start by saying what I feel was done right and works well so far in this game:
1.  Graphics are great.  

2.  Voice Acting is really great and gives each race a personality.  I thought John Hurt was doing the Darloks and he's one of the best actors ever.

3.  Negotiation options.

4.  Planet systems and types are there and are done nicely.

5.  The pacing feels good, about the same as moo 1 and 2.

6.  Espionage is way better and a lot of fun compared to Moo 1 and 2.

7.  Space monsters are cool in combat and different from ships which is awesome.  This is better than moo 1 and 2.   I went up against an Amoeba not knowing what to expect and it surprised me when it split into 3 creatures after I killed the first one.  I had to figure out how to try  and avoid its attack while attacking it.  

8.  I didn't like the maneuvering at first but I'm starting to like it now that I'm getting used to it.  However I will explain some of the issues with the combat system below.

9.  Combat looks fantastic it just needs a little fine tuning and it will be much better.

10. Wormholes are cool and another option.  Makes turtle-ling harder though not impossible.

11.  Thank you for the auto find idle for production, fleets, research, etc.  What a time saver that is.  Great idea!  I know if I forget something this modern system has my back.

12.  I like how massive star bases look in combat compared to ships.  I like the animations in combat.  The massiveness of space monsters is cool too.

13.  Love the obstacles in combat like asteroids and nebulae affecting missile accuracy.

14.  Leaders are done well with leveling.  

15.  Ease of adding mods and being able to disable without having to worry about reinstalling.  Great idea.

What needs Improvement:
1.  Color code different grouped ships paths to differentiate easier when splitting groups.  For example I have 3 destroyers grouped.  I want to set some going in similar but different directions.  They all go down and then split after.  Would be better if each subgroup of the location you are on had a slightly different color to confirm your decisions and selections.  Make group 1 green, group 2 purple, group 3 blue for example.  

2.  Make Grouping fleets easier.  Make separating them easier without moving them.  For example I want to create 2 groups within the same spot quickly and efficiently.  Why can't I just drag a ship from one group to another group?  For example, like moving files from one folder to another in Windows for example.

3.  Give more info about planets you are orbiting without having to bombard first.

4.  Many of the designs for the ships look the same from destroyer all the way to battleship with a few differences.  Its hard to differentiate when ships are moving around the map what is actually there unless you click on the ship icon.  Create more designs to choose from please.

5.  I just played a game on the hard setting.  I was wiping out the Alkari.  The kept refusing an audience with me to negotiate peace and a settlement.  Make races better able to recognize when they are weaker and be more likely to come to terms.  They kept refusing an audience until finally they had one planet left and I was about to wipe them out.  Then they asked for peace.  By that time it was too late and there was no point in keeping them around to fester.

6.  Races are so greedy even when weaker in a non sensical way  on Hard.  They keep asking for the most unfair terms for treaties.  Are there no honourable races?  Perhaps make it a trait?  You are not allowed to break treaties but terms are better for you as a result because other races feel you are more trustworthy.  I just find myself doing a lot less negotiations, alliances, non aggressions, etc.  You'd think that a weaker race would jump on the opportunity but even when way behind they ask for greedy terms.  So basically I just do trade when I'm given a fair option.  Haven't gotten an alliance yet.  At this point in the game its too late anyway.  I top the charts in almost every category making alliances and non aggressions a moot point now.  I'd  just like to see more of this come into play not just for me but for other races as well.  Not one alliance was formed in my game and its reaching its final stages, not one.  Even when you propose to a race you have great relations with (peaceful, trade, non aggression), and they are weaker, they still get all greedy for an alliance.  Why are they, the weaker one in the deal, asking for the greedy terms, it should be the other way around.  Why don't they offer me an alliance?  They'd have more to gain than I would.  It just doesn't make sense.  It needs a lot of work.

7.  I'd like to be able to design ships with beam weapons that are usable.  Unfortunately missiles are way better so there's no point and you are just wasting space and resources.  Heck even point defense are kind of useless.  I just load them up with missiles, shields, specials, and call it good.  I do some tricks with the missile options that I find work well.  Other than that, the design options are limited with beam weapons being so ineffective.  I miss a lot of the options from MOO2.

8.  The maneuvering is kind of cool in combat but I get annoyed with ships not firing at what I want them too all the time.  I tried with and without AI assistance.  Didn't seem to make a difference.  They keep auto firing when I don't want them to and at targets I didn't want them to.  I tried both left clicking and right clicking and they keep doign it.   This is frustrating.  I feel like the only control I have is moving them around because they just want to fire at anything they please.  It does seem to work for a little while when you first click, then they fire at another target eventually.  I don't know, it just feels buggy and unclear.  Formations don't hold.  I specified line formation and they just move in a clump forward after setting it...  I did battle an amoeba and thought it was neat.  Trying to take down an Antaran battleship with a cruiser by trying to stay on  its tail while I avoid their front facing weapons.  This is cool and fun strategy.  I just wish the fleets did exactly what I told them every time all the time.  I want to tell them when to fire, even if they hold the weapon.  I want to wait for the right moment to release that torpedo and right now its not really possible and frustrating.  I click on the upper left icon for AI.  I tried with the face showing and without showing and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

9.  Ships should be able to travel faster within your own controlled systems at least. For a ship with anti matter drives it sure takes them forever to get around within your own system.   I can see the point of the lanes and making some areas feel isolated and hard to get to but I'm missing the fluidity of MOO 1 and 2 with everything taking so long to group.  Maybe skip over the planet 1 turn speed loss for ships traveling within systems you fully control.  Only if you destination 1 and 2 travel through only your controlled space.  Just something to speed it up.  For ships with such fast drives they are taking forever to get from point A to point B.  I"m not sure I like this channel system.  I prefer the open fluid old style where faster drives felt faster and not bogged down needlessly by arbitrary way points.  I mean they are cool in a way but when it comes to ship movement times on a large universe it gets kind of ridiculous.  There are so many systems from point A to point B, more so than straight shots where they can use their movement speed fully.

Update: I just discovered Jump Gates and I think its a perfect solution to this problem.  It provides a straight shot so you are still reliant on your engine speed but at least you don't have to go system by system taking forever to get anywhere.  Perfect solution well done.

10.  Waypoints?  I'd like for ships from a certain system to go to another system and form up fleets in that system by setting waypoints.  I haven't figured out how to do it.  Is it possible?  If not, that needs to be there.  Also setting waypoints for the route for a ship to take to get to its destination.  For example to avoid a hotzone.

11.  I haven't been attacked once so far unless I left a clear opening.  Even then its not a massive fleet its usually just a transport or scout being invasive.  Why on hard are the enemy not trying to test my boundaries.  They should group up against me and pressure me.  I haven't felt pressured all game.   They do attack when I go into their controlled areas but that's about it.  They don't come to me and initiate, not once all game.   It's a far cry from MOO 1 and 2's aggressive races.  Does this have something to do with the laning and the AI just not understanding a viable strategy to pursue?  AI needs a lot of work in this area.  I will try the hardest setting next and see what happens.  

12.  The Antarans are my biggest challenge and the only aggressors so far.  Figuring out how I was going to beat them within the short time I had to get ready was always a strategic challenge I enjoyed.  Good job on that.

13.  More slots for ships.  I want to have more than 1 option for each slot.  Maybe I want 3 different types for each hull size.  Right now its not possible.

14.  More variance in the appearance.  I'm playing as Customized Humans and all their ship hulls are almost identical looking from one size to another making it very hard to tell what's what on the map.  They are a little bigger or smaller but not much.  I still have to click on them to see what they actually are.  Kind of annoying and frustrating.

15.  Boarding, called shots (think fallout  style).  For example I call a shot to the engine area of a ship with my cruiser.  It succeeds and i'm able to stop the ship to board it.  Or I call a shot to the gun decks to destroy the guns.  All called shots are done at a lower chance to hit.  Just something to consider.  I'd prefer you fix the most glaring issues though like AI.

16.  INFO.  Why can't I view the enemy ships and see what weapons they have?  Maybe I need to develop a scanner for it but I'd like to be able to gather more info on enemy ships and design against or around them before I face them in combat.  If we were just in the same system and I have the tech why not?  If I was just in a battle with them for sure.  Why can't I click on a planet I'm in the same system as and see more info?  Why do I have to wait to bombard it to get any info?  I just feel like I'm playing in the dark.  They have their attack rating and defense rating but that's not enough.  I don't even know what the little 4 icons are above it.  I try hovering over the icons and get no explanation.  If I hover and click on them it should explain  it to me.  I will probably go look it up now because it has been bugging me all game that I don't know what it means.

17.  Fleet view is very bad.  I have to click or hover on everything to open it up to see what's what and where its at.  There should be an icon of the lead or largest ship in each fleet when I open up the fleet sheet to make it faster and informative at a glance.

18.  Sorting options on planets.  Its a good start.  It would be better if you could lock one option like minerals, then select another option like distance.  That way it would show you the closest high mineral planets.  That would be way better and much faster to zero in on exactly what you are looking for.

19.  Some kind of combat tuturial to explain what is possible in combat and how to get the most out of it.  

20.  Something to explain the 4 colored numbers to the right of Attack and Defense rating.  For example they say 1 0 0 0, green purple purple purple.  Is it weapon types, beam, missile?  I don't know...  tried looking it up haven't found an answer yet.  Just show me what exactly they have when I click on them if I have the right tech and am within range.  This system is confusing for a beginner like me and I am just clueless until I get in combat what I'll be facing.  I just know their attack and defense and my chance to win.  That's a good start but I like more info.

21.  Just my first run through of the game but already I'm getting the feeling some races are just inferior to other races.  Mrrshans feel a lot weaker compared to say the Darloks, Klackons, Terran, Alkari.  Maybe it was just bad luck, I'll have to do more tests to be sure.  Silicoid have a lot of planets but have been weak all game.  They are not how I remember from Moo 1 and 2.   I keep checking on them to see if they have money to start a trade pact.  They've been low on minerals for ages.  Only the terrans and darloks have money.   The rest are always broke and can never start a trade agreement.  I don't like this requirement to start a trade agreement.  What if you are broke and that trade agreement will get you out of the hole.  Or maybe you want to get another race out of the hole to become a threat and a diversion for the powerful races.  Its not really possible without giving free stuff away.  

22. Ships have disappeared from view but I knew they were there and pulled them up with the fleet menu.  If I was playing on huge this would be a very annoying problem.

23.  Military bases on way points disappear and become a little mini icon.  It's like part of the graphics is not loading properly.

24.  Combat feels like  a battle against my own fleet's AI as much as a combat against the enemy.  Maybe I just haven't figure it out completely yet but there should be some better confirmation of what ship I'm attacking and maybe a verbal cue "Target acquired" or something just so I know what the heck i'm doing and not guessing that left clicking on them or right clicking on them is actually targeting them and keeping them targeted after that volley.  Maybe if ships did what I told them and also stayed in formation like I told them it would be a lot more fun and involved.  Right now I'm just moving them around trying to avoid missiles or flank them but they seem to fire on whatever they want half the time.

25.  Ship design options.  I like the actual slots.  You did that right.  The part you didn't get right is having more than 2 options for hull appearance, and more than a few spray paint options.  Its way too limiting.  Even Moo 1 had more options.  I like being able to color customize it a lot more.  Maybe using a RGB system for different parts of the ship would help a lot.  This would help it on the map as well.  

26. Retreating never works.  I always have to enter combat even if I clicked on something by mistake or had brain fart.  There's no undoing it.  Its either reload the game or just take the loss and move on.  Maybe it shouldn't always work flawlessly, but perhaps after a turn or 2 of taking hits you should be able to escape at least alive most of the time.  Not oh shit I didn't realize they had missile bases on their planet too.  Time to die.  Wouldn't be so bad if I could get more info without putting myself in danger all the time.

27.  Another race initiates a diplomacy proposal.  However I can just take it or leave it without any kind of counter offer or negotiation.  When they are coming to you with a proposal they should be more open than normal to having a more fair deal for you, rather than their usual greedy attitude.  Why is everyone so damn greedy.  If they would be less greedy we'd have a prosperous friendship.  I get that I'm playing on hard but this isn't how you make the game hard.  Make the opponents smarter to make it harder.  Even when relations are great way into the green zone and peaceful they are still so greedy for the smallest of things.  It just irritates me and makes me not want to try anymore if I know they will ask me for a huge list of techs just to have a trade agreement or non aggression pact or alliance, even though it might benefit them more than it would me.  Please work on this.

28.  More cooperation between races.  Not only do we need to make alliances more common but once in one it should feel like a real alliance.  They should come bolster your fleets near hot zones with the common enemy.  If you go in for an attack they should too.  If you are in an alliance they should have a full view of your map as you should theirs.  Then when you go in to attack the enemy from the right side of the map, they might attack from the left for example immiediately after.  That would make an an alliance actually feel like an alliance.  That would make being rude and greedy to everyone that came to you with a proposal make you think twice.  If you could implement this along with more realistic negotiations (not just more more more for me attitude) then it would be better.

29.  Upgrading Ships is broken.  It costs a ridiculous amount of credits to upgrade ships.  Its not really worthwhile and probably just better off scrapping it and making a new one from a port.  Why can't I just dock the ship and put the ship in production on my colony to upgrade it?  Dock the ship and it takes less time than a newer model of that ship would take.  For example I have an old cruiser that needs to be updated.  The latest model takes 10 turns at the colony to construct.  Instead I can take my old ship with the same hull and design and just update it for say 5 turns, or however long depending on the cost and extent of the updates.  This would be a much better solution than using credits.  It would make a whole lot more sense too.

30.  Better Tutorials, Fleet Box Explained, Combat Explained.  The fleet box, that box in the lower left that shows your ships attack and defense.  I figured out more of the numbers, such as number of ships.  Why is 1 green and then for a fleet its purple.  Why 2, I don't get the difference.  Also the last 2 numbers, I haven't figured them out yet.  They should tell me what they are when I hover over them or click on them for a full explanation.  It really is frustrating not knowing what something that is supposed to inform me is telling me.  I looked in the manual, I looked online, I still can't find an answer.  Very frustrating.  I tried the tutorial and when it got to the combat explanation I somehow closed the interface down so combat finished while I was trying to mess with the interface during the tutorial and try things out.  Horrible combat tutorial.  For such an important part of the game there needs to be a very good combat tutorial where you are not guessing at what you are doing.  The upper right alien icon I found was indeed the AI on or off button.  Why not simply label it to avoid confusion?/?  Have it say on or off so I know which state is on or off??  All this needless confusion for a beginner.  If I wasn't a fan of the series I might have walked away already.

The tutorial was rudimentary and didn't explain the fleet box.  It also is unclear what it wants me to do.  It starts with a colony ship and when I click on the planet it says not to colonize it.  Yet the only way to move forward is to colonize it.  Such a bad way to start a tutorial.  Don't make things unclear.  The tutorial needs a major overhaul with explanations of the fleet box.  The combat tutorial should be completely separate and provide multiple examples of how to control a large fleet, setting speeds, fighting in certain ranges, using range to your advantage, grouping and formations.  I just can't believe you expect the average player to just learn this by trial and error.  An extensive tutorial is a must for this.  This combat is good and the more I learn the better it is for me but I started off hating it and not understanding how to control anything at all.  I didn't understand if right click or left click targets the enemy.   There is no confirmation to my actions and there is a lot of guesswork.  if I click on my ship it should put a cursor around the current target so I KNOW what its' targeting and if it that is still the current target or if the AI has switched targets on me.  Also a separate AI for movement and gun usage would be great.  For example I want the AI to move for me and stay out of range but allow me to choose who to fire at and when to fire.

Very little is explained or labeled properly.  This is necessary for a complex game.  The map interface needs better hover explanations and so does the combat interface.  They all need in depth explanations so we aren't fumbling through forums or manuals looking for answers that should be provided in game on a click or hover.  

31.  I just had an idea to resolve the no info when hovering over enemy fleets or planets.  How about make it so if you have a spy infiltrating their empire you are allowed to see those things.  The higher level the spy, the more info.  Either that or a tech like long range scanner allows this.  Either or both.

Conclusion:
The game looks great.  Combat looks great.   It just feels broken and buggy still.  If these minor issues are fixed along with some big improvements in the AI I think this would be a much better game.  

Most importantly I am having fun playing the game.  I just added the X5 mod and I love the changes so far.  I will start a new game with it soon and check it out from the start.  Thanks for reading and listening.

Edited by Jevokan, 05 April 2017 - 02:41 PM.

Jevokan #39 Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:12 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

Fleet box figured out:

Ok I think I figured it out finally.  I just sat there for a few minutes mixing and matching on my main fleet until it made sense.

Green number

Number of non-attack ships such as colony, transports, etc.

Purple ship Icon

number of ships selected

Bomb Icon

number of combined bombs in your fleet

Troop number

number of combined troops in your fleet

I think that's it, correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Jevokan, 06 April 2017 - 11:58 PM.

Jevokan #40 Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:01 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

Ok after reading this article:

http://forum.mastero...tatical-combat/

I'm going to go into combat with new eyes and ideas.  So phasors are decent, heavy mount mass drivers as well.  I will experiment more.  A tutorial like this needs to be in the game with some basic tactic explanations and how to pull it off with the controls.  For now I will just experiment with what I learned.  Excited to try some beam fleets.  

Edited by Jevokan, 05 April 2017 - 09:02 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users