Support Ships, EHP & Battle Improvements

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Nazmorgul #1 Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:15 AM

Ensign

• Players

Hello, ive put about 100 hours into the game so far, looks pretty good. Basically exterminated the whole galaxy in my second game, on hard settings.

Here is what I noticed so far that would make the game more challenging without being hard for the hell of it. One of the huge attractions of this game can be the battles, which right now are pretty cut and dry, short and kind of boring. What I would like to see are some elements introduced into the fleet composition that can turn the tide of battle and give ships very pronounced tactical roles, dramatically changing fleet battle strategies...and also making them longer and more enjoyable. I would love being able to spend 50 minutes in a space battle.

FIRST THINGS FIRST 

• Increase Ship EHP (Effective Hit Points). Right now they are extremely low when compared to the firepower available on the field. Most ships do not last for more than a few seconds. Most ships just die too fast to really play long term role in a battle. I would say, for ships to be balanced out vs the current weapon damage, the base EHP of ships needs to be improved by about 200%-300%. 
  • Increase tactical combat space / field by 250%. We need more room to maneuver and execute strategies

SUPPORT MODULES

• Add support modules that can be added only to specific hulls - modules that do other things besides defend the specific ship or deal damage. This would let the player create support / logistics combat ships that are dedicated to fleet support instead of doing damage. It would make battles infinitely more interesting and diverse. A few suggestions would be remote armor repair ships, shield booster ships, armor or shield buffer bonus ships, accuracy and range boosters / suppressors, 
  • These modules are basically designed to impede enemy firepower, keep friendly ships alive in a variety of ways.
  • Increase the numbers of ship blueprints players can have at a time. I would like to have at least 2-3 of each ship type.
  • Carrier ships - designated to be carriers and bonus-ed accordingly, designed to carry large numbers of fighters. Like maybe a 50% decrease in fighter / bomber bay space allocation. and bonus to the range and damage of support craft. 
  • Add support ship hulls that have built in bonuses for certain kinds of support modules or specific tasks like carriers or armor boosters. 
  • Support ships should be cruisers or lower, no titans, battleships, doomstars, etc. 

COMMAND SHIPS

• These ships are unique in a fleet, only one active at  any time in a battle. 
  • These ships are battleship size with very heavy protection, minimal weapons. It would have to be kept safe but close enough to the battle to affect it. 
  • These ships give bonuses to fleets so long as the ships in question stay within a certain range of the command ship. These ships would have a big bull's eye painted on them, would be primary targets for both AI and human players. 

AI PRESET SHIPS

• The AI is notoriously bad at setting up and upgrading its ships. The standard ship weapons / fittings ships come with are no match for what players come up with, so the AI is only able to kill human players with either overwhelming numbers or vastly superior technology. 
  • I would like for the game to be able to access a large library of PLAYER MADE SHIP FITTINGS, which the AI can use for each race. Players can submit ships to something like steam servers where the mods are and the AI incorporates them into their fleets. It would make for far more challenging battles, than standard ship layouts

Edited by Nazmorgul, 10 January 2017 - 12:17 AM.

Omega_Weapon #2 Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:14 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
The tactical battles have been a weak point of this game from the very beginning. Those kind of improvements would be nice, but the developers are unlikely to budge from their belief that tactical battles are just a minor distraction and not worth much attention compared to the joys of bureaucratic empire management.

Coyote720 #3 Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:29 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
More interesting battles would certainly be a good thing. However, 50-minute battles would not (IMHO)!

Nazmorgul #4 Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:04 AM

Ensign

• Players
Double post - sorry.

Edited by Nazmorgul, 11 January 2017 - 04:07 AM.

Nazmorgul #5 Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:05 AM

Ensign

• Players

I understand that empire management is the focus but battles and ships is what empire management's purpose is. You HAVE to fight at some point, most people anyway. I bet 90% of everyone who plays MOO wants and likes to fight. No point for developing cool weapons and armor otherwise. 

The empire management in MOO is hardly gratifying, its ok. Nothing to be bent out of shape about, its not grand. Business, resource and empire management on phenomenal scale is Civlization V and VI. The battles in civ games are just a bit more than graphical representation of numbers because the FOCUS is empire management. On the empire management scale though, it delivers 150% for the truly hardcore empire freaks.

Think of Total War without deeply tactical battles? Meh... [:huh:]  I would have sucked. So bottom line - more and better space battles will probably be much better for MOO and the cashflow of the developers.

Edited by Nazmorgul, 11 January 2017 - 04:06 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users