Severe Events Should Not Happen Too Soon In the Game

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Coyote720 #1 Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:51 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
At turn 67, a radiation accident rendered my home planet and only productive colony almost uninhabitable for about 10 turns. Events like this should never happen too soon in the game. Every event should be rated for the first turn it can occur. For example, a supernova or radiation accident probably shouldn't happen before around turn 200.

skullnbones_ #2 Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:43 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

I was about to disagree with you. Then I fired up a new game to test the Mrrshan for the first time (I'll be writing a critique of them soon with suggestions to help that race). On Turn 71, I suffered a catastrophic earthquake on Fieras. 5 out of 9 population were lost. All of my buildings were wiped out. I'm going to keep playing for the challenge, but may give up if I can't recover to be on par with the other races.

I'm okay with suffering negative random events, except that was particularly brutal, a possible game-ender.

I agree in that early game negative randoms should be toned down.

skullnbones_ #3 Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:20 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

Wait a minute. I'm going to retract my statement. I kept playing after I had the brutal earthquake on my homeworld on Turn 71. As a challenge, I wanted to see if I could recover and use all my strategy to get back to being a contender. This is turning out to be my most entertaining game yet.

The Sakkra might have sensed my weakness and eventually declared war, because I had an asteroid station in one of their newly colonized systems. They started attacking with superior ships. I used the Mrrshan diplomatic bonus to cultivate a lot of trade and some tech exchanges. I really chummed up to most other races. I eventually rebuilt my buildings, rebuilt my fleet, rationed resources to colonize away from the Sakkra, and then eventually counter-attacked. I invaded 3 Sakkra systems in a 1-2-3 blitz after they got smacked by the Antarans. Huge reversal! At the same time, I have Fieras up and running with their uber Grassland terraforming, so it's slowing seeding my small colonies.

I actually have a fair chance now, after racing to recover in the population and tech departments.

Very fun game.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users