MODS: Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate, Battlestar Galactica

MODS Star Trek Star Wars Stargate Battlestar Galactica Help Wanted

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

trbeier #1 Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:28 PM

Captain

• Players

Hello Sci-Fi fans!

I am pleased to announce that I have started working on several different sci-fi franchise mods.  I am calling them “Transitioning Tools” to help the fans learn and enjoy Master of Orion, because there is no way to magically convert this game into any of these.  And even if I could, we would most likely have a bunch of lawyers tear us apart.

I am currently planning three transitioning tool mods:

1. Star Trek
  2. BattleStar Wars
  3. Stargate

With Battlestar Galactica and Star Wars I am currently planning to put them into one mod, because they have only two races / players each (Humans, Cylons, the Empire, and the Rebels).

With the current modding tools, there is no way to change the appearance of the races, so most of the modding will be via changing the names and descriptions of the races and tech, and a little changing the races themselves and the starting technology to match that.

I have to admit, that this is a huge undertaking, and will not happen overnight, so to speed things up, I am asking for help.  Anyone who knows or is willing to research the tech that these races have and develop, as well as comparable descriptions for the tech.  So for example, I am looking for something like:

“The Empire basically started at the end of the prequels, where we saw the plans for the Death Star (like the Doomstar), which has the ability to destroy planets (like the Stellar Converter).  The Clone War animated series had frigate and destroyer type ships called the … and the ….  The Tie fighter came in two forms, a short range that was similar to the ones when you install fighter bays, and a long range, similar to the one in the Corvette mod.”

If you are willing to help, please post below what you are researching, so that others don’t spend time researching the same thing as you, or that you won’t be disappointed when someone else post something first.

Anyone who contributes will have their name listed at the top of the description of the mod (if they wish).

Thank You in advance for your help.

“Impossible is not a word. It's just a reason for someone not to try.”
- Kutless

marcos757 #2 Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:11 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
Stargate mode :D

Deep Space Exploration Mission

Spud_Dastardly #3 Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:51 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
Star Wars has more than two races you know. What about Wookies?  The Bulrathi would make great wookies. The Gnolams can be whatever race Yoda is from. I'm sure the extended universe has a lot more races to draw on as well.

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

trbeier #4 Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:03 AM

Captain

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 21 January 2017 - 06:51 PM, said:

Star Wars has more than two races you know. What about Wookies?  The Bulrathi would make great wookies. The Gnolams can be whatever race Yoda is from. I'm sure the extended universe has a lot more races to draw on as well.

I was thinking about that.  Yes, there are more races involved, and while that can be done thru alliances, I thought the simpler Rebels and Empire would be a good start.  But if enough people are interested in a separate Star Wars mod, then sure.  :-)

How about a vote?

1. Empire vs Rebels?
  2. All the major Star Wars races?

If there is enough interest, I will do both.  :-)

- Kutless

trbeier #5 Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:55 AM

Captain

• Players

So...  Just as a proof of concept, I started with the Star Wars / Battlestar Galactica mods as there are only 2 races each (for now).  It requires the T-Best Uber Unbalanced Mega Mod, because it has extra things in it that I might use, and it is easier to take things out than to put them in.

I have changed the names and descriptions of the races, changed the racial perks, and the starting technology.  The Empire starts with Doom Stars designs, and the Human / Cylons start with Battleships & fighters.  Not much else done yet, but you can check it out at: http://tonybeier.com...tarWarsBeta.zip

- Kutless

trbeier #6 Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:49 PM

Captain

• Players

So I have a Star Trek Beta, but just as with the Star Wars / Battlestar Galactica, this is more of a proof of concept, so don't expect much.

Again, I mostly changed the race names, descriptions, perks, and starting technology.  Romulans got Disruptors, Humans got Phasors, Klingons got Torpedoes, etc.  Not much else is done yet, but you can check it out at: http://tonybeier.com...tarTrekBeta.zip

- Kutless

trbeier #7 Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:35 AM

Captain

• Players

So...  Before anyone gets a chance to point it out... I fixed the problem in the new game, race selection, with the bonus race techs not saying the new race name, and not saying what tech was involved.

Both the Star Trek and Star Wars betas have been updated.  You can use the links above to download them.

Has anyone had a chance to try either one out?

- Kutless

trbeier #8 Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:42 AM

Captain

• Players

View Postmarcos757, on 21 January 2017 - 06:11 PM, said:

Stargate mode :D

Obviously the Meklars are the closest to Replicators, and the Asgard closest to Psilons.  What other races would you like to see, and which host body should they control?  But do we want to put the Asgard and the Ancients in, as they basically have all the tech?
- Kutless

Shooter_Macgavin #9 Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:14 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
If you are looking for more races, how about C&C? GDI and Nod can be similar to Human and Terran, with slight flavour differences.

trbeier #10 Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:12 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostShooter_Macgavin, on 26 January 2017 - 03:14 AM, said:

If you are looking for more races, how about C&C? GDI and Nod can be similar to Human and Terran, with slight flavour differences.

I had to look up what C&C, GDI and Nod was, so I am probably not the one to do a Command and Conquer mod.  But if there is enough interest, and someone can what tech they have, and about their personalities, then I can see what I can do.

Have you tried either of the beta's I posted?

- Kutless

trbeier #11 Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:05 AM

Captain

• Players

So, I just tried out the Classic Moo Races (http://steamcommunit...s/?id=792586369) mod with my T-Best mod, and it worked!!!  The Corvette and my Detox Colony Ship were queued up to build.  So... That means that I can remove the references to those in my Star Wars and Star Trek mods, and make them independent of my mega mod.

I just have to do a writeup for these mods and I plan to publish them this weekend.  They are by not means finished, but I think they are playable.  I want to see how much interest there is in each mod, and the more feedback and subscribers each mod has, the more time I spend on them.  ;-)

- Kutless

trbeier #12 Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:16 PM

Captain

• Players

Okay, so here are the new betas that work independently of the Mega Mods.  You can use them with or without the Mega Mods (I haven't tried them on 5x yet... ;-)

BattleStar Wars'ish:  http://tonybeier.com...ars'ishBeta.zip

Star Trek'ish:  http://tonybeier.com...rek'ishBeta.zip

Note that the mods and the directories are renamed without the T-Best and with the 'ish added to indicate that they are not identical to the series, but are transitioning tools.  ;-)

- Kutless

Spud_Dastardly #13 Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

I just had a quick look at the races for the Star Trek mod. I thought that they were in a different language for a moment before I read the short description on top. I think it would be fine to use the original names. I like your choices for races for the most part, but we are missing the Cardassians. Maybe the Sakkra would be the closest you'd get to them. I think the Psilons don't really fit as the Vulcans. Maybe culturally they are similar, but in appearance it's way off. Since Humans represent the federation, which the Vulcans are part of, maybe it would be better to make them one of the minor races, but then again I can't think of a better race to do for the Psilons, so maybe it's fine.

I think it would be appropriate to give the Borg instant assimilation. Keep up the good work.

trbeier #14 Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:00 PM

Captain

• Players

Borg fixed for the next release.  The Borg don't spy, they assimilate, but that doesn't give you their tech here, so I gave them super spies to simulate assimilation.  ;-)

You might be right with the naming and stuff.  We don't make money on the mods so that they might leave us alone...  I'll think about it.

I was looking for a race in place of the Klackons, I Googled and found the industrial race from Voyager that was in 1 episode, I think the Cardassians would be better known.  Basically they are a low tech, easily angered race.  Any other race traits, personality, tech for them that you can think of?

- Kutless

Spud_Dastardly #15 Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:28 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

The Cardassians are uncharismatic, so diplomatic penalty I guess. They are pretty good at spying though, so at least a security bonus seems appropriate. In DS9 they seem to have a lot of ships too (before they're all destroyed), and they don't care about making their ships comfortable so they're probably cheaper to build, so maybe -20% ship cost and command points bonus. Maybe some ship attack bonus too. They need some sort of bonus besides ships, so maybe morale +10% since they're such a proud race. According to memory alpha, their homeworld lacks many natural resources, so maybe poor homeworld. Alternately, their people are usually starving, so could give them a food penalty. That's a lot of negative picks though, and it needs to be balanced, so you might throw some more positive traits in there to help them out, like a production bonus or something.

For AI, I would do something like:

Spoiler

By the way, what does cohesivity do?

trbeier #16 Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:31 AM

Captain

• Players

NOTE:  If you are playing these mods with a mega mod, make sure that the mega mod is higher on the list, and these mods are lower or last on the mods list!

I was playing a Star Wars / Battlestar Galactica game, and I was wondering why the Cylons and the Empire wasn't very aggressive even though they were named right.  It turns out that the mods must load from top to bottom, so the last mod loaded sets their personalities.  So, the game got more interesting after I switched them around.  So, please make sure to load these race mods last!!!

- Kutless

trbeier #17 Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:36 AM

Captain

• Players

I am not sure what cohesivity does, but from Google:

www.dictionary.com/browse/cohesive

characterized by or causing cohesion : a cohesive agent. 2. cohering or tending to cohere; well-integrated; unified: a cohesive organization.

So I would say it is like team player?

- Kutless

trbeier #18 Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:47 PM

Captain

• Players
It is weird that the Star Trek'ish mod is showing on Steam, but the Battlestar Galactica & Star Wars is not.  I guess there is more legal problems with Star Wars now that it is owned by Disney?
- Kutless

trbeier #19 Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:07 PM

Captain

• Players
So I removed mention of Star Wars from my Battlestar Galactica mod, and it is now public.  So, I guess there will be no "Star Wars" mod, just a Battlestar Galactica mod with the bonus races "The Evil Bulrathi Empire" that starts with doom stars and stellar converters, and "The Alkari Rebels".  ;-)
- Kutless

trbeier #20 Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:40 PM

Captain

• Players

So, the new betas are up.  

I think the only change on Star Trek was to give the Borg instant assimilation.

For the new Battlestar Galactica, I changed the Cylons from Cybernetic (zero food) to Lithovore.  Also they have a new download link:  http://tonybeier.com...ica'ishBeta.zip

- Kutless

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users