Any Master of Orion community / Discord?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

AikaalLeyma #1 Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:20 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

Hello, I'm wondering if there's any Master of Orion discord available. Playing alone  kinda get boring and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that would love to play multiplayers.

Personally, I don't mind no mod and I do love 5X mod pack 0:

Omega_Weapon #2 Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:24 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
Zero interest in multiplayer as long as it lacks the option for tactical combat. :sleep:

AikaalLeyma #3 Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:46 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
I can see your point. I also see the point when you're on turn 200. You have 10+ planets and 3 wars going one that one turn takes a long time. Adding tactical would multiply the turn duration. I don't think it's viable in multiplayer :(

Honey_Boom_Boom #4 Posted 06 February 2017 - 03:26 AM

Ensign

• Players
A discord channel would be a cool idea. Anything to help bring the multi player community together.

AikaalLeyma #5 Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:10 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

It would be great even for players who aren't fond of multiplayer. Strategy & race building. Just talk of the game in general would be amazing.

I would make a discord server but my schedule's set that I'm too busy 1 week out of 2 so that's why I'm asking around so I could join one.

TheBishop #6 Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:57 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostOmega_Weapon, on 05 February 2017 - 04:24 AM, said:

Zero interest in multiplayer as long as it lacks the option for tactical combat. :sleep:

every time some one mentions multiplayer, he chimes in with this very same reply.

Omega_Weapon #7 Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:40 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostTheBishop, on 06 February 2017 - 11:57 PM, said:

every time some one mentions multiplayer, he chimes in with this very same reply.

People are wondering why multiplayer is so underpopulated. I'm giving the reason that me and many others don't care for it in its current form. Regardless, it is a discussion forum isn't it? Can I not join the discussion?

AikaalLeyma #8 Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:01 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostOmega_Weapon, on 07 February 2017 - 05:40 AM, said:

People are wondering why multiplayer is so underpopulated. I'm giving the reason that me and many others don't care for it in its current form. Regardless, it is a discussion forum isn't it? Can I not join the discussion?

If multiplayer is underpopulated just because of tactical combat. I feel it's a poor argument. Just remember this is my own personal experience but I feel the tactical combat is overrated. On the early game, I always build a frigate with few destroyers fleet. I end up with 50+ ships at mid-game. This is not manageable in tactical combat. I always end up winning losing 1 to 3 ships and this is the goal. A frigate is a small expandable and cheap unit.

It's impossible for me to manage that many ships and it's really nonviable to build battleships without mid-end techs like Microlite Construction and Space Elevator to lower the number of ships in my fleet to manage.

And at this point you'll be managing over 20 planets so if you start managing 20 planets + 2 combats per turn. It's gonna take about 15 minutes per turn, that's just not viable. People will end up using the timer feature and force your end of turn after 90 seconds if you're last.

Multiplayer games shouldn't last 20 hours, that's too much. Everyone who dizz multiplayer because there's no tactical combat should remember this argument lol.

Honey_Boom_Boom #9 Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:43 AM

Ensign

• Players

There are a few of us that tend to always play multi on Saturdays. 12PM PST/ 3PM EST  If you want a multi game log in around that time for better odds.

Tactical combat is not realistic for multi. You cannot have 6 people sitting around for 30 mins while 2 people have an epic tactical battle. Maybe in a 1v1 game, but then you better have a god like computer for a large scale battle. Lastly, tactical is over-rated. Your skill as a fighter pilot will not make or break a fight. Tactical fights look really cool. that's about it.  Regardless, multi is a ton of fun, defiantly worth a try, and it's actually a lot of fun to have a mix of human players and extreme AI

AikaalLeyma #10 Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:31 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

That would be great! I do work this week however so I won't be available.

I do think Tactical Combat is an unfinished part of the game and we got teased hard by it. I'd love to see it viable in multiplayer but it is unlikely :(

Omega_Weapon #11 Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:39 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostAikaalLeyma, on 07 February 2017 - 04:01 PM, said:

If multiplayer is underpopulated just because of tactical combat. I feel it's a poor argument. Just remember this is my own personal experience but I feel the tactical combat is overrated. On the early game, I always build a frigate with few destroyers fleet. I end up with 50+ ships at mid-game. This is not manageable in tactical combat. I always end up winning losing 1 to 3 ships and this is the goal. A frigate is a small expandable and cheap unit.

It's impossible for me to manage that many ships and it's really nonviable to build battleships without mid-end techs like Microlite Construction and Space Elevator to lower the number of ships in my fleet to manage.

And at this point you'll be managing over 20 planets so if you start managing 20 planets + 2 combats per turn. It's gonna take about 15 minutes per turn, that's just not viable. People will end up using the timer feature and force your end of turn after 90 seconds if you're last.

Multiplayer games shouldn't last 20 hours, that's too much. Everyone who dizz multiplayer because there's no tactical combat should remember this argument lol.

​Back in the glory days of MOO 2 I used to pride myself on winning the game without losing a single ship (couldn't do it every time). Yes the tactical battles could be long. Sometimes they would take an hour in the late game phase, but they were a thrilling part of the game and winning them mattered. The design of each ship was critical. Its true that the tactical combat isn't very deep or meaningful in this version but its better than nothing. Not everyone is wiling to wait for tactical battles in multiplayer, so that is why they should be an option, rather than mandatory. Really though, without the excitement of the battles, this is just a tedious colony administration + diplomacy simulator. Is it really any wonder that the crowds aren't lining up for the multiplayer yawnfest currently on offer?

AikaalLeyma #12 Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:01 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostOmega_Weapon, on 08 February 2017 - 05:39 AM, said:

​Back in the glory days of MOO 2 I used to pride myself on winning the game without losing a single ship (couldn't do it every time). Yes the tactical battles could be long. Sometimes they would take an hour in the late game phase, but they were a thrilling part of the game and winning them mattered. The design of each ship was critical. Its true that the tactical combat isn't very deep or meaningful in this version but its better than nothing. Not everyone is wiling to wait for tactical battles in multiplayer, so that is why they should be an option, rather than mandatory. Really though, without the excitement of the battles, this is just a tedious colony administration + diplomacy simulator. Is it really any wonder that the crowds aren't lining up for the multiplayer yawnfest currently on offer?

Well, I find ship customization critical because the game is kinda stupid about it and you get mold better ships. Even if simulated, it will make a difference.

You could micro-manage a fleet pretty easily by having a front line to sponge the initial hits. Heavy long range ships on the back and a ton of small ships to create chaos on the opponent. That'd take a long time and it would be hard to manage in combat simulation.

To begin with, if you're severely outnumbered by ships or your technology is inferior, you should be losing. You should be expecting losses when entering war. You will lose ships fighting other players, tactical combat or not. This game also has many flaws that require more attention than online tactical combat. It's really easy to trick the AI to do your bidding. It is not so easy when you encounter players. That's why I want to play online with people :)

You are correct the tactical combat should be an option in multiplayer but it's really challenging to implement real-time combat online on 1v1 players. However, the one part I have to disagree with you is the whole multiplayer yawnfest. Predicting what another player wants to do against you is never boring in my opinion. You can't really know the feeling until you really encounter other players o:

Exoclyps #13 Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:10 AM

Captain

• Players

Personally I'm the kind of guy who like the simulator empire building stuffs over combat. I do tactical combat mostly because I want the best results, rather than the pure enjoyment in it (that said, I do enjoy it at times). So I think I'd be someone that could enjoy multiplayer without it, here the new challenge isn't finding a ship design that you can abuse, but rather a design that is best fit for automatic combat.

That said, I can see how some would enjoy tactical in multiplayer, I'm sure I would. Just that I do not agree that the game is boring without it.

AikaalLeyma #14 Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:32 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
Also please be reminded the reason I started this thread was to find a multiplayer community. Not a lot of people play multiple-player but there's definitely a handful of people who would like :)

Spud_Dastardly #15 Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:20 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostAikaalLeyma, on 08 February 2017 - 05:01 AM, said:

If multiplayer is underpopulated just because of tactical combat. I feel it's a poor argument. Just remember this is my own personal experience but I feel the tactical combat is overrated. On the early game, I always build a frigate with few destroyers fleet. I end up with 50+ ships at mid-game. This is not manageable in tactical combat. 

50+ ships is totally manageable. Assign squads, set roles, pause when needed, and focus fire. It's like Starcraft, but easier. In multiplayer you could use the auto pause timer. A fight shouldn't take more than a few minutes at most even between large fleets.

Why shouldn't multiplayer games last 20 hours? I've had some great weekends playing really long MoO2 games with friends. It's a lot of fun. 

View PostHoney_Boom_Boom, on 08 February 2017 - 08:43 AM, said:

Lastly, tactical is over-rated. Your skill as a fighter pilot will not make or break a fight. Tactical fights look really cool. that's about it.  

I've had fights where I auto resolve and lose, then I go back a turn and do the same combat manually and win without losing a single ship, so yes my skill as a fighter pilot can make or break a fight. Certain ship designs (the best ones) require specific tactics to take advantage of which the auto resolve won't do. One example is loading up all of your ships with missiles and then kiting the enemy. You can often win a fight this way that you would otherwise lose with auto resolve.

Anyway, I always thought tactical combat in multiplayer to be a basic gameplay component that definitely should have been implemented prior to release. The tactical combat as is could use more depth as well, e.g. adding ship boarding/capture, but then we've been saying that on these forums since the beginning. That said, I think multiplayer is pretty fun; it's just not as fun as it would be if there were tactical combat. 

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

AikaalLeyma #16 Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:18 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 08 February 2017 - 06:20 PM, said:

50+ ships is totally manageable. Assign squads, set roles, pause when needed

How to you expect to pause an online tactical combat between 2 players? The other might not need the combat to be paused and it would become unfair.

You can pause and min-max while having an inferior fleet to win and spend 30 minutes that's good and all but ultimately in a multiplayer, your empire management should prioritize. It would be too long to spend 30 minutes on a single fight while 6 other players do nothing? Unrealistic.

However I'll remind yet again. This thread isn't about talking about tactical combat but to know if there's a multiplayer community that I could join to try multiplayer.

Spud_Dastardly #17 Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:25 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostAikaalLeyma, on 09 February 2017 - 09:18 AM, said:

How to you expect to pause an online tactical combat between 2 players? 

It would be too long to spend 30 minutes on a single fight while 6 other players do nothing? Unrealistic.

However I'll remind yet again. This thread isn't about talking about tactical combat but to know if there's a multiplayer community that I could join to try multiplayer.

I did say in my post that in multiplayer you could use an auto pause timer, as in it pauses every, say 10 seconds (or 30 or whatever you set it to in the game setup options) and the pause lasts for a specified amount of time. That seems fair.

No fight in MoO has ever taken more than 5 minutes for me, and even the 5 minute ones are just the once-in-a-game huge encounters. I suggested that the other players can either watch the combat or continue their empire management during this time. Perhaps they can even fight their own combat encounters with others simultaneously. 

Anyway, sorry for fueling the off topic discussion. I just wanted to get my 2 cents in. If I discover any multiplayer communities I'll let you know.

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

AikaalLeyma #18 Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:02 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 09 February 2017 - 03:25 AM, said:

I did say in my post that in multiplayer you could use an auto pause timer, as in it pauses every, say 10 seconds (or 30 or whatever you set it to in the game setup options) and the pause lasts for a specified amount of time. That seems fair.

No fight in MoO has ever taken more than 5 minutes for me, and even the 5 minute ones are just the once-in-a-game huge encounters. I suggested that the other players can either watch the combat or continue their empire management during this time. Perhaps they can even fight their own combat encounters with others simultaneously. 

Anyway, sorry for fueling the off topic discussion. I just wanted to get my 2 cents in. If I discover any multiplayer communities I'll let you know.

No worries man! I'm not against discussions neither. Everybody got the right to enjoy the game like he/she wishes. Imho, the game's filled with unfinished concepts like the tactical combat. I think the Antarans was rushed also. They are extremely easy to control and dodge.

That said, AIs don't provide me the challenge I require from a game. I,m stuck to often play with a mode pack that further increase the AIs bonuses but I'm still not sated lol

Honey_Boom_Boom #19 Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:03 AM

Ensign

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 08 February 2017 - 08:25 PM, said:

There are a lot of multi communities, as I mentioned earlier. They just don't use cheats/mods/etc.

Aikaal #20 Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:18 PM

Ensign

• Players

View PostHoney_Boom_Boom, on 17 February 2017 - 12:03 AM, said:

There are a lot of multi communities, as I mentioned earlier. They just don't use cheats/mods/etc.

Any way to contact them so I could potentially join? Or at least ask. I don't mind not using any mod lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users