Is Master of Orion dead?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Shooter_Macgavin #1 Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:03 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

When was the last update?

When was the last time a WG employee posted on these forums?

Spud_Dastardly #2 Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:45 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

The last update was on December 30. The last time a WG employee posted on these forums was December 02. The last time they posted on the Steam forums was yesterday, but like all of the dev posts in the last month, it was asking for a save file in response to a bug report. 

Something happened to NGD. Who knows what. These forums have been completely abandoned by the devs. We're trying to keep the game alive with mods, at least. If we're lucky, we'll get a bug fixes patch sometime in the future, but whether we'll ever get any new features or DLC in unclear.

Edited by Spud_Dastardly, 12 February 2017 - 08:52 AM.

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

drewklar #3 Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:39 PM

Commander

• Players

I don't think WG Labs is working on this game anymore with NGD Studios.    Go check out Chris Keeling's profile on LinkedIn, says he's now Head of Operations at Wargaming Mobile.

https://www.linkedin...in/chriskeeling

WG Labs Wargaming owns the MOO IP, so they would have to approve any new projects or MOO expansions.   Since NGD Studios has not put up any news since the last DLC we can assume nothing new for MOO is in the works anytime soon.

Also, NGD Studio's new CEO, Martin Cao has put up many posts since Dec 20th about hiring more staff for "new exciting projects."   Since they haven't said what the new game is then I doubt it's MOO related, and must be some new IP instead.

https://twitter.com/martocao

Most of the job listings are in Spanish but they are hiring two programmers, QA people and a Project manager (i.e. Scrum Master).  Late last year NGD Studios bought out Red Katana and Chilko stepped aside to let Martin be the CEO.   From past tweets I think Chilko and Cao were friends and go back a ways.

Edit: correction: I think Wargaming owns the MOO IP, and not WGLabs specifically.

Edited by drewklar, 14 February 2017 - 05:57 AM.

Omega_Weapon #4 Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:59 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
So the short answer is that the game is not officially dead, but all the clues are pointing in that direction.

Shooter_Macgavin #5 Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:52 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
Damn it. Thanks for replying.

Ericjohn #6 Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:07 PM

Ensign

• Players
As long as modders keep up, the game will never die, just look at the elder scrolls games, Morrowind even has new mods uploaded fairly regularly at the nexus.

BossmanSlim #7 Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:05 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
Still better than MOO3

Omega_Weapon #8 Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:42 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostBossmanSlim, on 16 February 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

Still better than MOO3

What isn't?

Laegad #9 Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:25 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostEricjohn, on 15 February 2017 - 05:07 PM, said:

As long as modders keep up, the game will never die.

No, mod power has a limit.
For MoO, some modifications are mandatory to make a good and "finished" game, and cannot be modded.

I do not write them here again, i already writen some of them during early access...

Edited by Laegad, 16 February 2017 - 07:35 PM.

Honey_Boom_Boom #10 Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:09 AM

Ensign

• Players
Modifying your files with random player downloads is a good way to get viruses. Be very careful who you trust. Also, it will take away your skill at playing the real game when you are ready to step up and play multiplayer. It's better (assuming you want to play multi) to practice with the real game mechanics.

Spud_Dastardly #11 Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:15 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
I know Nexus mods scans their files for viruses with over 50 different scanners. I assume Steam does the same. As for multiplayer, you can play multiplayer with mods if you both have the same mods installed.

Shooter_Macgavin #12 Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:36 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
Are there any mods out there that make the AI 'smarter'? I don't want mods to make the game easier, I want them to make it more challenging.

Spud_Dastardly #13 Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:52 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

My 5X mod includes some AI changes to make them more aggressive, namely tweaking their parameters to make them expand, grow, and wage war more aggressively. I improved their ship designs a bit and changed their building priorities too, though I have a hard time knowing if the latter took effect. I added a new difficulty level too that's harder than Extreme. We're somewhat limited by what we can do with the modding system though. The only other one I've seen is this one that improves AI ship designs, but it says it's obsolete.

kwm1800 #14 Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:07 AM

Commander

• Players

It's very obvious they moved on.

I stopped playing before the game was officially released (you can search and see why), and obviously and inevitably the game has tanked hard as many predicted it.

It is actually surprising they did support the game til December.

For reference, this is what I wrote in May last year:

http://forum.mastero...ict-on-new-moo/

Edited by kwm1800, 21 February 2017 - 10:09 AM.

Laegad #15 Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:20 PM

Commander

• Players

View Postkwm1800, on 21 February 2017 - 10:07 AM, said:

It is actually surprising they did support the game til December.

Easy to understand: Last no-free DLC (which add missing races from MoO2) are from December.

http://masteroforion...-of-antares-dlc

Ericjohn #16 Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:26 PM

Ensign

• Players

View PostHoney_Boom_Boom, on 17 February 2017 - 12:09 AM, said:

Modifying your files with random player downloads is a good way to get viruses. Be very careful who you trust. Also, it will take away your skill at playing the real game when you are ready to step up and play multiplayer. It's better (assuming you want to play multi) to practice with the real game mechanics.

This is nonsense, every major mod sight has security against viruses, and as far that goes, the mods for this game are simple text files, just screen the mod prior to unpacking it to make sure that it really does only contain .yaml or .csv files, and you can rest assured that those text files can't harm your pc.  Clicking random hyperlinks is far more risky than downloading from reputable mod hosting sites.  Please don't spread fud about modding, it's pretty insulting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users