6 Months Since Release

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Omega_Weapon #21 Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:19 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostOmega_Weapon, on 25 February 2017 - 03:24 PM, said:

BTW, on a side note, MOO 3 was considered a dismal flop and rightly so. How were its sales numbers though in comparison to MOO CTS? Does anybody know? This version is not nearly as bad as MOO 3 was, but were its actual sales any better?

​Found an article on Explorminate that gives a figure of 180 504 copies sold for MOO CTS in 2016. That doesn't compare too well to the 734 663 copies of Stellaris sold in the same time frame. 

Spud_Dastardly #22 Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:55 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostOmega_Weapon, on 26 February 2017 - 04:24 AM, said:

BTW, on a side note, MOO 3 was considered a dismal flop and rightly so. How were its sales numbers though in comparison to MOO CTS? Does anybody know? This version is not nearly as bad as MOO 3 was, but were its actual sales any better?

I did try to find the MoO3 sales btw. All I was able to find for sure is that it was the top selling game the week it came out. Then everyone returned it of course. I read a claim that they were hoping for 500,000 sales with MoO3, but of course it fell short. I wonder what numbers they were hoping for with MoO4.

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

Omega_Weapon #23 Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:50 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 11 March 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

I did try to find the MoO3 sales btw. All I was able to find for sure is that it was the top selling game the week it came out. Then everyone returned it of course. I read a claim that they were hoping for 500,000 sales with MoO3, but of course it fell short. I wonder what numbers they were hoping for with MoO4.

​The way development seems to have come to an abrupt (yet so far unannounced) end would lead me to guess they were expecting much more as far as sales of MOO 4 go. Its not like they gradually wound down development as you might expect with a game that didn't sell quite as much as hoped. More like they used the ejector seat because the sales situation was so grim.

Spud_Dastardly #24 Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:46 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
New stability patch coming out soon from the devs. Maybe they'll say what the future of the game is?

Omega_Weapon #25 Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:22 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
Whenever the little flame of optimism lights within me, I'm usually disappointed. Fingers crossed anyways.

Pherdnut #26 Posted 03 April 2017 - 12:47 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
I'm optimistic about Stars in Shadow. And possibly what happens with this game when there's some follow-up modding. But busted weapons/balance issues don't sound like the sorts of things you'd address with a stability patch unless somebody's actually sneaking in a few fixes they probably weren't supposed to be working on. Although looking at that MIRV thing, that doesn't seem like it should take somebody with the source code in hand a lot of time to actually deal with.

It's just weird to me that you could have the budget to pull in all of this celebrity VO but not enough for development to actually at least properly tie up all the loose ends.

The SiS team is a designer and a developer. Probably not even 1/20th of the budget this game had and it comes closer to filling in the MOO2 void than any other game I've played in the last 20 years.

Spud_Dastardly #27 Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:39 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

Well, it's now been 1 year since the release of the game. Anyone still around here? I didn't want to bother with a new thread, so I figured I'd post here again. Too bad we couldn't get another patch. There's so much left to do still. Many bugs. At least we've got Sol's unofficial patch for that. Anyway, cheers to anyone who still lurks here.

Arent11 #28 Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:40 AM

Commander

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 25 August 2017 - 12:39 PM, said:

Well, it's now been 1 year since the release of the game. Anyone still around here? I didn't want to bother with a new thread, so I figured I'd post here again. Too bad we couldn't get another patch. There's so much left to do still. Many bugs. At least we've got Sol's unofficial patch for that. Anyway, cheers to anyone who still lurks here.

Well, after a while of trying to get civ VI running in LAN (It constantly desynched) & several other frustrating aspects (can't customize your own civ, can't trade tech, civs have weird traits etc.), we resorted to MOO. & well, we had reasonable fun with it, could customize our own race, could trade techs & help each other against enemy civs. It is a shallow game, but well presented & we had fun for some time.

That being said, I just hope for a sequel. I think some design decisions were ok, the RTS combat is fun (just not available in multiplayer). But others not so much, the starlanes & lack of fuel make the exploration aspect of the game a little "boring".

I also hope for a sequel for dragon commander, which IMHO has similar good ideas but similar botched parts.

Anguille_1 #29 Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:05 PM

Captain

• Players

Still here and still playing the game. I don't want any new content but would love to see some more patching because i like the game. Combat is the part i have most regrets, especially when i see the dumb AI flying straight to the other side of the battlefield. Also don't like the idea behind the torpedoes (going just anywhere but to the target).

About sales, i guess they really expected to sell millions (so many languages, famous actors etc.). Problem is that they relied too much on an unknown game company with no track records. They (WG) should have sent a couple of their own guys to check what they were doing. I really like the guys from NGD

Edited by Anguille_1, 28 August 2017 - 03:11 PM.

Playing MOO since 1993

Playing MOO Conquer the Stars on GOG Galaxy

4x space game CV: Master of Orion, Master of Orion II, Master of Orion III, Pax Imperia: Eminent Domain, Reach for the Stars, Imperium Galactica, Imperium Galactica II, Armada 2526, Distant Worlds, Star Ruler I and II, Endless Space, Horizon, Stardrive, Stradrive II, Sword of the Stars, Sword of the Stars II, Galactic Civilization I - III, LotBS, Lost Empires: Immortals, Space Empires IV and V, Starships Unlimited, Star Wars: Empire at War, Star Wars: Rebellio, Birth of the Federation and Stellaris.

Spud_Dastardly #30 Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:25 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

I think WhatIsSol's UCP addressed both the AI flying straight to the end of the battlefield and torpedoes not firing in the right direction. Torpedoes even try to anticipate where the target is going to be based on their trajectory when the torps fire. 

I think that NGD could have done very well with the game, but the game was poorly managed on Wargaming's end. I think there were guys from WG checking on NGD, but I did hear from someone in the know on the Steam Explorminate forums that someone in between NGD and WG was countermanding orders from the head of the project at WG, and that's why things got so messed up. Too many things were rushed, as is evident from the game's code which leaves out a ton, and that resulted in all of those bugs and missed opportunities. If they had taken their time and accepted fan input from the beginning instead of waiting until EA to take any of our opinions into consideration, I think things would have gone much better. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users