question about Modding Biomes and Stars

mods mod biome stars

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Partythenwork #1 Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:55 AM

Commander

• Players

okay so made up a mod which basically has a bunch of techapps which allow changing certain biomes to other biomes using your space factory.  everything works great on it, and i can basically terraform any biome to any other biome; however, it doesn't seem to work to take a biome and to make it into an asteroid field.  i know somewhere in the game that it is possible to do this because the stellar converter does this along with the supernova event.

is there a way to create the same effect by terraforming a biome into an asteroid field?

also i have a custom star generation mod that i have been working on.  it creates nebulas and other interest space hazzard looking effects, but one problem i am having is in the startypes.yaml

in my nebula i want to have the max size for the nebula density

so i made the nebulaeDensity: 100; however, if i fight a battle in nebulaedenisty 100 i can only use the auto-resolve and the game seems to crash for me when i try to run it in tactical.  is there a max nebulaedensity that i can use without crashing the game?

Spud_Dastardly #2 Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:11 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

No way to terraform into an asteroid field. The stellar converter mechanic is hard coded. The issue is that terraforming can't change the size of the planet, and asteroids have their own unique size I think.

I haven't tested nebulae density at all. Try some trial and error to find the max amount.

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

Partythenwork #3 Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:25 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 02 April 2017 - 05:11 PM, said:

No way to terraform into an asteroid field. The stellar converter mechanic is hard coded. The issue is that terraforming can't change the size of the planet, and asteroids have their own unique size I think.

I haven't tested nebulae density at all. Try some trial and error to find the max amount.

is it possible to give an asteroid and/or gas planet a resource attribute like say gold?

Spud_Dastardly #4 Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:35 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
Yes, you can do that in tradeableresourcechances but you won't be able to see what resource it has until it's been transformed to a planet.

Partythenwork #5 Posted 11 April 2017 - 02:39 PM

Commander

• Players
is it possible to specify what your home star will be?  i know you can specify your home biome.

Spud_Dastardly #6 Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:35 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
Not as far as I know. I saw that you wanted to make it so your homeworld can't be your new star type you created. Did you see breckwilhite's Gravastar mod? I think he managed to do that there. Maybe set it so that star type has a 0% chance of getting a Terran in it. Might have to make other biomes 0% too since some races start on arid, swamp, etc. 

Partythenwork #7 Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:20 AM

Commander

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 12 April 2017 - 12:35 AM, said:

Not as far as I know. I saw that you wanted to make it so your homeworld can't be your new star type you created. Did you see breckwilhite's Gravastar mod? I think he managed to do that there. Maybe set it so that star type has a 0% chance of getting a Terran in it. Might have to make other biomes 0% too since some races start on arid, swamp, etc. 

setting the biomechances didn't change the chances of a star type getting a homeworld.

maybe i could send you the files and you could tell me what would need to be changed?  basically i wanted to create a nebula star which is basicallly a blank region of space which used different nebula graphics, and it would just be an empty jump point to cross.

anyhow occassionally the CPU would generate homeworlds in these nebulas

Spud_Dastardly #8 Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:13 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
If you post a link to your files I could take a look. I think the right yaml to mod would be PlanetaryDensityPackages.

Partythenwork #9 Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:21 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 13 April 2017 - 06:13 PM, said:

If you post a link to your files I could take a look. I think the right yaml to mod would be PlanetaryDensityPackages.

i just uploaded to one of those free share sites: https://ufile.io/c5601

it will be here for 30 days and then they autodelete it

Partythenwork #10 Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:29 AM

Commander

• Players

View PostPartythenwork, on 13 April 2017 - 10:21 PM, said:

i just uploaded to one of those free share sites: https://ufile.io/c5601

it will be here for 30 days and then they autodelete it

spud did you ever get a chance to look at the files?

Spud_Dastardly #11 Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:20 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostPartythenwork, on 10 May 2017 - 10:29 AM, said:

spud did you ever get a chance to look at the files?

Sorry, I forgot. I was dealing with final exams at the time. I'll take a look at them soon. Could you give me a seed number and galaxy setup that gives an AI a nebula homeworld?

Edit: Okay I've seen antaran ruins in the nebula systems at least. By the way the mod is super laggy for me. Brown stars are also showing up very tiny for some reason.

Edit2: So I was comparing your mod with Breckwilhite's Gravastar mod and I saw this interesting bit of added code in GalaxyAges.yaml:

civNeighbourhoodChances:
                - starType: star_blue_white
                  chance: 15
                - starType: star_white
                - starType: star_yellow
                  chance: 25
                - starType: star_orange
                - starType: star_red
                  chance: 10
                - starType: star_brown
                  chance: 4
                - starType: star_far_blue
                  chance: 1

I looked it up in the code and found:

if (this.localNeighbourhoods != null && galaxyAge.civNeighbourhoodChances != null && galaxyAge.civNeighbourhoodChances.items.Count > 0)
      {
        for (int index1 = 0; index1 < this.localNeighbourhoods.Count; ++index1)
        {
          this.localNeighbourhoods[index1].homeStar.starType = SerializedData<StarType>.Get(galaxyAge.civNeighbourhoodChances.RollChance(rng));
          for (int index2 = 0; index2 < this.localNeighbourhoods[index1].neighbours.Length; ++index2)
            this.localNeighbourhoods[index1].neighbours[index2].starType = SerializedData<StarType>.Get(galaxyAge.civNeighbourhoodChances.RollChance(rng));
        }
      }

This appears to be the bit of code you need. Here's Breckwilhite's yaml: https://www.dropbox....yAge.yaml?dl=0 

Try modifying your galaxy age yaml to use that added section as he has done and see if it fixes it.

Edited by Spud_Dastardly, 10 May 2017 - 06:47 PM.

Partythenwork #12 Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:47 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostSpud_Dastardly, on 10 May 2017 - 06:20 PM, said:

Sorry, I forgot. I was dealing with final exams at the time. I'll take a look at them soon. Could you give me a seed number and galaxy setup that gives an AI a nebula homeworld?

Edit: Okay I've seen antaran ruins in the nebula systems at least. By the way the mod is super laggy for me. Brown stars are also showing up very tiny for some reason.

Edit2: So I was comparing your mod with Breckwilhite's Gravastar mod and I saw this interesting bit of added code in GalaxyAges.yaml:

civNeighbourhoodChances:
                - starType: star_blue_white
                - starType: star_white
                - starType: star_yellow
                - starType: star_orange
                - starType: star_red
                  chance: 10
                - starType: star_brown
                  chance: 4
                - starType: star_far_blue
                  chance: 1

I looked it up in the code and found:

if (this.localNeighbourhoods != null && galaxyAge.civNeighbourhoodChances != null && galaxyAge.civNeighbourhoodChances.items.Count > 0)
      {
        for (int index1 = 0; index1 < this.localNeighbourhoods.Count; ++index1)
        {
          this.localNeighbourhoods[index1].homeStar.starType = SerializedData<StarType>.Get(galaxyAge.civNeighbourhoodChances.RollChance(rng));
          for (int index2 = 0; index2 < this.localNeighbourhoods[index1].neighbours.Length; ++index2)
            this.localNeighbourhoods[index1].neighbours[index2].starType = SerializedData<StarType>.Get(galaxyAge.civNeighbourhoodChances.RollChance(rng));
        }
      }

This appears to be the bit of code you need. Here's Breckwilhite's yaml: https://www.dropbox....yAge.yaml?dl=0 

Try modifying your galaxy age yaml to use that added section as he has done and see if it fixes it.

the civNeighbourhoodChances: thing did the trick.  you can specify which stars to prefer with those settings.  i made some adjustments to the .yaml file and dropped in and it works!

i am reusing a lot of resources found in MOO so some of my brown stars are dwarfs and they will appear a lot smaller.

thanks again!

Edited by Partythenwork, 10 May 2017 - 07:54 PM.

Also tagged with mods, mod, biome, stars

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users