Question about Specials combined with Fighters

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Jevokan #1 Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:49 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

If I build specials that increase chance to hit with energy weapons does this affect my fighters or just my ships main weapons like its phasors?  Or does this bonus extend to any fighters on board?

If I built a carrier ship with just fighters would it be pointless or beneficial to include the accuracy and damage increasing specials as well?

Edited by Jevokan, 13 April 2017 - 01:51 PM.

WhatIsSol #2 Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:22 PM

Commander

• Players
I have not tested it, but according to my memory - that could be faulty.  It would have no effect. 

Soylent_Greene #3 Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:53 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
Would it be viable to make a Titan sized Carrier with Megafluxers and Hull Space Expansion?

You could fit maybe twenty or so heavy fighter bays (80 space each or so)... But in my experience the enemy ships have WAY too much PD firepower to be effective.

Some of the monsters have something akin to the lightning shield which smacks all the fighters at once.

Maybe my experience is not broad enough?

Jevokan #4 Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:15 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostWhatIsSol, on 13 April 2017 - 02:22 PM, said:

I have not tested it, but according to my memory - that could be faulty.  It would have no effect. 

Ok thanks for the feedback.

Jevokan #5 Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:16 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostSoylent_Greene, on 13 April 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

Would it be viable to make a Titan sized Carrier with Megafluxers and Hull Space Expansion?

You could fit maybe twenty or so heavy fighter bays (80 space each or so)... But in my experience the enemy ships have WAY too much PD firepower to be effective.

Some of the monsters have something akin to the lightning shield which smacks all the fighters at once.

Maybe my experience is not broad enough?

I'm trying just that now in my game.  I have unlocked Titans, just got my core waste dumps finished and constructing them is finally viable.  I'll let you know how it goes.  :)

Jevokan #6 Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:00 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

I tried it with lackluster results.  I pretty much just filled up the vessel with heavy fighters and about 20 PD.  I think the PD are effective enough to make the results less than desirable.  Although the attack rating is something like 2000 it feels more like 500.  In comparison when I load up plasma cannons and gauss cannons I get an attack rating of 1200 but feels way stronger than a carrier type craft.  This is probably because I can augment and strengthen the attack with specials meanwhile fighters can't be boosted in any way that I see.  It would be nice if you could boost fighters.  For example if you could actually design the fighters yourself or get specials that boost them.  

As it is, late game I think energy weapons are the way to go because of the abundance of specials to empower beams.  Not only are your main beams empowered your PD are too!  Fighters and missiles just get shot down too much late game when Titans can support an array of PD as well as offense, plus lightning fields and other defenses.  There are no offensive options to counter these defensive options late game.  So in my experience, early mid fighters are great.  Late game not so much.   Pre Titans missiles and fighters are king.  Post Titan energy weapons are king.  Once my Energy Weapon Titans get in range the enemy is vaporized.  

I actually tried going into battle with 2 Carrier Titans and a few battleships against an equally matched (rating wise) energy weapon enemy fleet.  I just got annihilated.

What I'm doing now is keeping the initial carriers I made as a distraction and hit takers while the killers go in under the cover and distraction and clean up.  Works well.  Another thing I"m doing is supporting the heavy craft with smaller missile barrage crafts.  I think I'm getting more hits with the missiles because the enemy Point Defenses are busy shooting down fighters.  Its hard to tell because there is so much going on and my system is not the best so a huge battle just goes really slow and laggy.  I can try turning down the settings and watching closer to see for sure.  I think that's what I saw though.

Edited by Jevokan, 16 April 2017 - 12:26 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users