How do you not go broke?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Jodet #1 Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:57 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

I must have a third of my colonies producing trade goods.   I've started firing my administrators.  

I was doing fine until one turn and 'bam' my income went to -27 per turn.  

I don't have a huge fleet.  

Any tips?   

Spud_Dastardly #2 Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:38 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
This is one of the balance issues in the base game. Basically the only way to get a decent amount of income is to have trade treaties with everyone going constantly. There are mods that make it easier to get money though.

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

Anguille_1 #3 Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:25 PM

Captain

• Players

You should also aim for economic buildings: spaceport, colonial revenue services, stock exchange etc...

That and trade treaties, at least with one race.

Also, it doesn't matter if you fleet is big but if you exceed the command points, it's going to be expensive fast.

Edited by Anguille_1, 22 May 2017 - 01:26 PM.

Playing MOO since 1993

Playing MOO Conquer the Stars on GOG Galaxy

4x space game CV: Master of Orion, Master of Orion II, Master of Orion III, Pax Imperia: Eminent Domain, Reach for the Stars, Imperium Galactica, Imperium Galactica II, Armada 2526, Distant Worlds, Star Ruler I and II, Endless Space, Horizon, Stardrive, Stradrive II, Sword of the Stars, Sword of the Stars II, Galactic Civilization I - III, LotBS, Lost Empires: Immortals, Space Empires IV and V, Starships Unlimited, Star Wars: Empire at War, Star Wars: Rebellio, Birth of the Federation and Stellaris.

Zharik #4 Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:02 AM

Ensign

• Players

This is one of those things that may have a simpler answer than you might think.

Don't always build every building. If you build every building at every planet, you deserve to be broke all the time. I strongly suggest diversifying planets and using some to manufacture ships, others as people producers (good food ones) for colony ships and civil transports, and others still for research. Don't forget to scrap buildings that have outlived their usefulness too, like a cloning center at a max pop planet (where you are not making colony ships/civil transports).

Don't exceed command points... just don't (a few turns to get a colony ship to a nice planet, okay but that's it). If you are hurting for defenses/fleet size, make a star base high on your build list, they're 1 BC maintenance for at least 5 command points. Don't build missile bases/orbiting batteries anywhere deep in your territory, just near the borders.

Lastly on building choices, some buildings are just expensive for maintenance. Toxic processors are only really worth it to change a toxic planet to barren (and you can scrap them once you hit desert or tundra), the -5 pollution is NOT worth the maintenance cost. Any buildings you use to help build up the planet (auto factories, crust prospecting, cloning centers, etc) are wasteful unless you are actively using them so get in the habit of scrapping them if you know you are not going to be using them soon with a new technology.

Something else is to remember that population pays taxes. Maybe you need to prioritize more on keeping your population numbers high. Setting the tax rate to 4 right out of the gate is a great idea too. Knowing when to go to 5 is something that you'll get used to as well.

Last thing, there are several other expensive yearly costs that players can lose track of, like spy upkeep, leader upkeep, asteroid labs and one of the biggest culprits: jump gates. At 5 BC a turn, more than a half dozen of those puppies will cost you a LOT. Don't build them everywhere.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users