Frustrating Battle UI

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

NoamChomsky #1 Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:04 PM

Ensign

• Players

Having played 35 hours now, the hardest challenge is by far the user interface.  During battles:

1. The screen randomly and inexplicably jumps around a lot, forcing you to zoom out and find the ships you were micromanaging again.
  2. Your ships frequently won't attack the enemy ship you tell them to attack, but some other ship (that may be closer?  I don't know.  It's so incredibly unpredictable and clunky).
  3. Your ships fire projectiles like torpedoes in random directions, and nowhere near the enemy you told them to attack.  (So far there are no guidance systems to help with this "feature." )
  4. Sometimes the UI won't let you select ships any more in the middle of battle, allowing you only to pause or speed up the passage of time.
  5. There is no way to show you the movement paths (i.e. waypoints) of other ships to which you've just given orders, like the Total War games have been allowing for 17 years.
  6. There is no way select a group of your ships, and then deselect certain ships (e.g. with CTRL+click, Shift+click, etc.), like Warcraft, Starcraft have been allowing for 20+ years.
  7. The UI will predict your chances of victory at near 100%, "Excellent," and then your entire navy is wiped out when you lose to a space Amoeba.
  8. There's no way to set waypoints, i.e. to tell your unit(s) to go from A > B and then from B > C.

The battle UI is so clunky that it almost makes the game unplayable! 

Edited by NoamChomsky, 19 October 2017 - 01:31 PM.

Omega_Weapon #2 Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:13 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
Most of your points are bang on. These are old complaints though since many people voiced the same concerns back before release. The devs refused to listen though and released the half-assed version we have today. Is it any wonder few people are willing to play or purchase this game? If its not too late maybe you can get a refund.

Spud_Dastardly #3 Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:48 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

I can shed some light on your issues.

1. It shouldn't be randomly jumping around. It may be jumping to focus on a particular ship that has completed some action, such as a move order. You can disable the camera focusing for particular actions in the options menu. I recommend disabling the one for completed movements in particular.
  2. Ships will fire weapons at the first ship that comes into range. If multiple ships are in range, it will attack the one you target if that is in range. To stop it from firing at the first ship, you can right click on weapon slots to disable auto casting, and then you can either fire the weapons manually or turn auto casting on when the ship you want to target comes back into range. Not recommended for large encounters really.
  3. Torpedo targeting is laughably bad. WhatIsSol fixed this in his Unofficial Code Patch. I highly recommend getting it as a fixes a lot of bugs and adds some nice features as well.
  4. This is a bug, though not one I've run into. It's possibly fixed in the patch I linked above. If you still get the bug with the patch and can reproduce it consistently, you can contact the maker of the patch and ask him to fix it.
  5. If you click on a ship of yours that is moving, it should show you the path they are currently on. 
  6. I'm not sure you can de-select ships, but you can select additional ships with shift+click and even set them to custom squads with ctrl+number. The controls are very similar to Starcraft.
  7. Victory chances calculations are vastly improved by the unofficial code patch. In the base game they don't account for ship specials like plasma web (Amoebae have no standard weapons, just specials, so you always get excellent chances.) The patch also makes the AI smarter in terms of estimating its chances.
  8. You can set waypoints with the shift key like in Starcraft and queue up attack commands in the same way as in Starcraft.

The patch also fixes a number of combat UI bugs like the resetting targeting donut and formations not setting properly. There's also some performance improvements for large ship battles. It also fixes some things you might not have been aware of such as the fact that fast, eccm, and heavy armor missiles don't work at all, and rangemaster targeting actually decreases your chance to hit. I can't emphasize enough how essential this patch is.

Now if only we could get the devs to make the "unofficial patch" the "official patch" already...

Edited by Spud_Dastardly, 20 October 2017 - 02:59 AM.

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users